/5eg/ - 5th Edition D&D General

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/:
What are some interesting Fey BBEGs you can use in a campaign?

looking for group

>What are some interesting Fey BBEGs you can use in a campaign?

Jareth the Goblin King, played by David Bowie. Literally why would you need any other kind of fae in your game?

have group

trade or what?

I've been playing a cleric with my 1st D&D group, we hit level 3 during our third session last week. 4th session is tomorrow. It's fun!

I bought the player's handbook, dungeon master's guide, and monster manual. I'm only about 3 chapters into the PH rn (races).

I want to be the DM for my friends (not the group I'm currently playing with) because none of them play, so I'd have to be the DM.

If I read the PH, Dungeon Master's guide, and Monster Manual, would it still be smart to pick up the starter set? Or would I be better of grabbing a module for my 1st campaign with my friends who have never played before?

---

Also, off topic; just bought my 1st two 7-piece sets of dice, from EasyRoller. They're glittery, look neat, and apparently are factory 1sts
>pic related, 1 of the dice sets

What's the best character-sheet builder out there?

First time playing a Warlock they are more fun than expected.

Starter set is a good call. The other modules are long, and the 2 best ones (Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd) are challenging both for the players and the DM.

I started with Storm King's Thunder and regretted it, got most of the way through and dropped. I should have done starter set.

Orcpub, you can re-upload all the book info from the orcpub subreddit.
Yeah they are, the EB turret meme doesn't mean that you can't be creative and do fun stuff.

If you're playing online, MPMB automated sheet

>roll poor stats
>quest to level 20
>pick up feats the whole way
>no stat upgrades
>become a lich
>study manuals of [physical stat] and tomes of [mental stats] until all your stats are 30

Flawless plan???

Hope you guys can help, Im /r/ing a picture that I had thought that I had downloaded already in a landscape thread but apparently not.

It depicts some colossal beings being created or sculpted in these square pits which are laid out in a perfect grid formation, with steps going down each pit and columns raising all the way up to an incredibly high ceiling or maybe a dark sky. The atmosphere is very ethereal and eldritch sort of like a Tool album cover.
Hope I'm remembering it right

What do you think we'll get for the UA coming up? I hope new patron or pact boon.

The starter set adventure gets top marks from damn near everybody and is easy to spin into your own stuff afterwards if you like.
Plus a third dice set means one for you and two for the players, which should make things go at least a little faster than they would with just two sets amongst the entire group, and you've got a good variety of premade characters who IIRC have hooks built into the adventure.

Is becoming a lich something that has rules and/or guidelines? Or do you have to homebrew it? And isn't it a risky move unless your party would be okay with partying with a lich?

>become a lich
>has to commit unspeakable moral atrocities and cultivate a character of incarnate vice within himself
>flawless plan
Vecnafags pls get SMOTE and stay SMOTE

In older editions it did, but not in 5e.

it's worth it for the cool uniform

Kill your friends boyo

>fungus-zombie spawning, spore extruding druid
neat. has anyone looked this class over? is it the closest thing 5e has to a necromancer?

Player is re-rolling after their half-elf died, wants to play a tiefling (got tired of the character, so took a mostly heroic last stand).

I offered to let him use the Variant Tiefling rules from SCAG and UA, and he got back to me with a request to use pic related instead. Should I allow it?

there's been a lot of unearthed arcana, we even got some new invocations that made it into a proper book

So why aren't there new ki spells for Wot4E, new maneuvers for the battlemaster, or new metamagics for the sorcerer yet?

>guy comes from pathfinder and WoW, says he wants to make an anti-paladin
>says he wants to focus on damage spells instead of healing but I don't have all the time to get into it before the game starts in twenty minutes
>already have a lawful paladin in the party and don't want unnecessary friction so I steer the guy towards playing a cavalier
>end of the session, party meets a demon lord
>dude trades 6 HP to Flauros the demon lord for plate armor with fire resistance
Any suggestions on curses and things I can put on this? It's not the demon armor from the DMG.

Why does this guy want me to kill my friends? Give me a quick summary.

Bladelings seem really strong.
Curselings seem fine.
I'm not a fan of always-on flight speed on player races but it's your call on Stormlings.

...there's the Necromancer.

>Bladelings seem really strong.
not really? if you like natural weapons, sure, but they're crap.

you get free light armor (woo), intimidation proficiency, and an endless supply of knives.

not exactly mind-blowing

WIZARDS of the Coast, not MARTIALS that can BOAST ok?

What level is the party and what challenge rating was the demon?

Demons minions have a chance of compelling him to do stuff while he's wearing the Armour. He's the Demon lords bitch.

Has anyone ever ran a Goblonoid campaign? After reading the goblonoid section of Volo's Guide I feel the societal structure of a united goblonoid army would provide quite a unique campaign setting, especially with the relationships between the different races and how the hobgoblins set up their complex heirachy/power struggle

What's a good rule of thumb on when something should be a perception check vs a investigation check?

Perception is finding the clue, investigation is figuring out what the clue means.

Need help with druids. Are they fun? What sort of weird cheese/shennagains can you get into? Best Circle for a level 5 character who will be interacting with fey?

How many fucking threads does there need to be?

Keep a wild shape for exploration

is there a good shardmind for 5e?

yeah, there's none of that 4rry shit which is perfect.

What's the preferred nomenclature for 5e-fags?

Pre-3.0 - Grognards
3/.5 - 3eaboos
4e- 4rries
5e - ???

>What are some interesting Fey BBEGs you can use in a campaign?
Not technically fey, but my campaign villain is an eladrin College of Glamour Bard who beguiles nobles into serving his cause. He has a number of carefully-maintained allegiances with hags and wicked fey creatures.

>is it the closest thing 5e has to a necromancer?
...Aside from the Necromancer in the PHB?

"Could a dog do it?"

It'll take more than some extra spells to fix Wot4E Monk.

Why not 5ags

Can I just say that I envy you? I've been in the hobby since 1982, and I miss the wide-eyed HOLY SHIT feeling that is first-time DnD.

>Take the "draw or stow two weapons instead of one" ability from the Dual Wielder feat and add it to the Two Weapon Fighting style
Does this make 2WF worth picking?

It's not balance that concerns me... Ok it is, but the lack of expansion upon the idea concerns me more

Idiots for falling for WotC crap again,.

Someone posted this Wot4E "fix" in a previous thread. I haven't tested it or anything, so I don't know how good it is. It might tide you over until something official turns up.

I am preparing the Old Bonegrinder from Curse of Strahd as a one-shot. Minor CoS spoilers ahead!

The windmill and the hags seem cool and sinister, but I need ideas for starting the adventure. The group will be in Barovia, but how do I introduce the plot hooks effectively? How do I make them want to go to the windmill? They are of course going to meet a woman trying to sell the suspicious pastries, but what else? Two kids are captured in the windmill, but they were given to the hags by their parents, so a regular rescue-mission seems less than optimal.

>Enjoy 5e
>Enjoy meeting new people
>Enjoy teaching the game
>Organize a bunch of one-shots through a local game store
>Only experienced players contact me

What does it take for new players to join a random one-shot? I think their inexperience and sort of pure approach to the game makes it fun, and less game-y than with experienced dice rollers. I have already introduced my regular friends and we're playing a campaign.

>Does being aware of thing require the 5+ senses?
Perception
>Does a situation require critical thinking
Investigation

>Running a political campaign
>All three major candidates for the throne are so horrible, their main slogan is "Look at the other two! I mean, come on!"

Every time I try to download from the mega link I'm met with this, what am I doing wrong? I can't read the Readme since I can't even extract/open it.

This thread is not a bait thread.

It's homebrew

>DM wants to use dndbeyond for next game
>thinks spending $400+ on it for content he already owns is a good idea
>doesn't care that wizards is continually shutting down good resources in order to promote their shit
>doesn't care that they're shitting on their fanbase because "it's the way things are"

Goddamn I am so mad right now

Is he Chinese? Tell him no ban fa and roll your eyes.

In the game he's from he's basically a warlock's fey patron that tries to convince you (essentially his warlock) to sacrifice all of your friends in order to kill/become God.

>wizards is continually shutting down good resources in order to promote their shit
Corporation doesn't like their intellectual property rights being violated, more news at 11.

Between UA and homebrew, what does the most complete version of the Ranger look like for you? I'm looking to have a 'Complete Rangers' Handbook' printed up for use in my games.

All I've thought about doing was taking the Revised Ranger and spreading its level 1 features out throughout the class until about level 10 or so. Then it seems perfectly fine or dare I say pretty good.

im also working on a 'Complete' thing but for Fighter by giving the base class maneuvers and expanding upon the list through 4e martial books

please send help

What could be a reason for the bad guy's weakness being certain people, either from certain bloodlines or born on a certain day or something like that?
Why would they in particular be able to defeat him?

Per these ideas, which of the UAs should I allow in my upcoming game?

Depends on what kind of people you want. Completely random chosen few across the world? People who know him? Like, what kind of weakness are you planning here. Resistance to his abilities, harmful to him?

Opposing leylines empowering their blood.

Character who can dish out high damage by focusing down on a single target that they've declared their enemy. Able to track down and ambush easily.

If you don't want to delve into bloodlines, you can make it as some sort of phobia.

Here are the ones I've found at the table to be the less problem cases:
>Artificer class
>Revised Ranger
>Storm Herald Barb (UA)
>Brute Fighter
>Treachery Paladin
>Seeker Warlock
>Pretty much all of the UA feats that didn't make it in Xanathar's

Then again, we didn't try much beyond this stuff. If I'll be honest, considering the pattern through our play, the only two problem children were Lore Wizard and the Mystic class so take that for what you will.

Revised Ranger and a few UA subclasses that never made it like Primeval Guardian and Stone Sorcerer.

>want to run a game
>inconsistent work schedule due to doing shift work
Fuck my life. I miss being NEET so bad.

Completely random chosen few across the world.
I want them to be harmful to him.
The BBEG knows about them and knows they could foil his plans so he sends out assassins after them, but they don't even realise they could defeat him.
I've been playing Morrowind recently so this idea of "born under a certain star" is something I keep coming back to. I'm just not sure what special abilities or traits these people born under that star would have.

>Opposing leylines empowering their blood.
While I generally find that an interesting idea, wouldn't that make whole cities/nations on that leyline extremely powerful?

>some sort of phobia
What do you mean exactly?

And customers don't like to be fucked in the ass.

If WotC fight the piracy with quality instead of DMCA, it would be preferable option.

>Want to find a game
>Every game runs a super generic fantasy setting.
One day I'll find a game I want to play in.

What kind of setting and game you DO want to play in?

Then make your own setting with blackjack and hookers.

>Start watching critical role because my group is on hiatus and need to get my 5e shot
>one of them has a bear companion.
What the fuck am I watching?

High Fantasy magitech-y setting like Eberron preferably.

That or a setting with lots of planehopping and travelling like Spelljammer.

I have my own setting, but I want to be a player, not a DM.

>Tsh, all those GMs with their shit settings can't sate my superior intellectual needs
>tips fedora
Jesus Christ

>doesn't want a lame and boring setting
>wants leleron
Pick one, and only one.

Don't we all.

Eberron is the only decent default setting, bar perhaps Dark Sun.

That was my gut reaction too. Never got past first episode. Was told it was a good 5e campaign, but
>Homebrew class
>Options that doesn't exist in 5e
>annoying as fuck players
That would look like my campaigns if I allowed the shit my players find on dandwiki and asks to play.

>one of them has a bear companion
>is also a Ranger
Come on user

The only decent setting is the one you create with the help of your friends at the game table

>Eberron
>Decent
What a nice guy you are. You sound like one of those guys who says "No, you are not fat, there is just more of you to love!" Whenever you encounter 600 pound hamplanets

>bar perhaps Dark Sun
>Dark Sun
I can't

Are you trolling? Are you arguing it is good or decent? Or what? I am having trouble comprehending what you are trying to say here.

Phobia is irrational fear for certain things. The keyword is: it's irrational, so the cause isn't important. But you can give him some sort of back story if you want. Like say, when he a child he step into kobold shaped lego and since then he have irrational fear for them.

>DM makes custom classes for his table
>DM tailors use of rules for his group
>Somehow bad thing
Doesn't sound that convincing, frankly.

Just give me airships and make low power magic items such as ice-boxes and projectors that use illusion magic common and I'll play.

Rangers cant have bears in 5e.

Nah see, it's like sorcerers. They were born in opposing leylines, but those leylines move through time and space. Those bloodlines oppose one another since then, for whatever reason.

You seem like the type of guy who'll throw a fit if the DM does anything subversive.
>What do you mean dwarves aren't short in your setting? Have you never read Tolkien?

+1

It is when you want to see some 5e action, and the rules are opened up and shit into.

I still like it, I grew into it. I can understand why someone might get that gut reaction, I had the same reaction first. But the players mostly grew on me (with glaring exceptions), but Matt is really a good and entertaining guy, and Scanlan alone makes the campaign worth watching.

Let me guess, you love faerun to death right?

I am curious as to what makes you say that. Nothing in my post said anything that might insinuate that.

Races has little to do with how well crafted a setting is. It can have humans, or 1001 races with anything from sentient automation, furries and fucking pixies, and it can still be a good setting. Races are like 1% of the quality a setting has, it can never add or detract more than at most 1 %

No.

I make my own. We have 4 settings in my group, which are all homebrew settings with a solid 100+ pages of lore established over about 25 years of play.

Being subversive is just shitty writing and exist only so the DM can have a literary wank, which is exactly what Eberron is, a literary wank.
>WOO AIRSHIPS
>WOO ROBOTS
>WOO MAGICAL RADIATION
That's not fantasy you retards, that's sci-fi reskinned as fantasy, and attracts only the most autistic of tards who can't be happy with what they have.

@57660230
Not even worth a you
Unfortunately i don't have the time to create an entire setting from scratch with decent lore. Heck, i don't even have a regular group. But it sounds certainly better than any premade settings

Magical appliance to technology is not necessarily bad.

Eberron just manages to step into every single pitfall a "magitech" setting can possible find.

Take something like, say, the video game Dark Sun. It had magic powered technology, but it was clearly magic, and had sone obvious flaws related to being magic, instead of just being technology by a different name. Including being unstable, prone to going crazy and doing very unexpected things people had no way of foreseeing, baffling even in-universe experts.

Eberron acts like their magitech is technology. It makes magic too predictable, even for dungeons and dragons standards.

Meh, I can play the established ones, as long as the GM isnt a turbo autistic spastic, who freaks out if we ever dare diverge from the established lore. The best regular new GMs are the ones who takes a vague version of established settings, and then adds and removes until it resembles what they want. They should be used as templates, not the finished product.