Tell me Veeky Forums, how do you mercenary?

Tell me Veeky Forums, how do you mercenary?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dEbE3fGfF-o
youtube.com/watch?v=ryD8bPwFaAM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

kill things for money

Get paid for standing around looking intimidating, rather than actually doing anything...

Get run out of business because the king thinks militia are cheaper

pretty sure some merchant will gladly pay to have their caravans guarded

kill something i think has something i may want

Make deals with other local Free Companies to collectively extort the city-states into buying our protection ostensibly from each other. When they demand we battle, the Companies head out to a field, drink for three days, plunder the villages of our employers then demand more money to move on to a different city state.

Once we get the money to leave we kidnap the negotiator, demand even more money and only then do we actually pack up to the next Prince or Pope or whatever and repeat the process.

Do this for a few years, sacking Manors, kidnapping family members of the local Nobility, maybe try our hand at pirating and at the end of a fruitful career of murder do we marry the daughter of an ambitious Princeling and retire to live the good life.

this way

What if a foreign nation attacks?

GTFO to a different region and repeat.

With great swagger.

youtube.com/watch?v=dEbE3fGfF-o

Seize a castle near an important crossing/township and negotiate with both our employers and the invader to bid for our service. Hopefully at this point we've captured someone valuable to the one paying us to give us leverage against immediate reprisal. Worse comes to worse entreat the Pope to hire us instead and buy immunity to depart the county.

To add onto this, the Pope is always fighting somebody.

How the fuck did they got away with this in real life? I mean kings and princes must have known that mercenaries are fucking trolling them.

I believe they got fucked when the French arrived.

Have them as a distinct job occupation that solely deals with inter/intrastate human-centered conflicts and military intrests of one or more parties. No monster hunting, dungeon delving, herb gathering, rat exterminating here. Those jobs are for the filthy adventurers.

They knew they were being trolled, but if you don't hire mercenaries then your foe has more troops then you, and will fuck you with them. Whereas if you do too then both troops will counteract one another.

highly trained and experience private military contractor

>just like in real life

Finding things worth more than coin.

his sword says

"gambled all my money away 1519"

With short shorts and SLRs

>Tell me Veeky Forums, how do you mercenary?
Discarded by their home country. Unwanted in their op zone. Equal measures of reviled and glorified everywhere else. Left out to dry by Theatre and Sector Command. Cut off from the main battalion. In sight of the enemy.

In other words, the sweet spot.

This is the only right way

Make sure to have a connection with a noble family. Then, rob and pillage their political enemies while counting on the said family to divert all hostile attention.

Do it until your patron is the leader of the country and then enjoy life openly pillaging and raping the people of the country.

Enjoy the history lesson yet?

why not just join the militia then?

As a Bear Warrior Barbarian so I can get paid for doing what I love the best.

And mainly because I actually love bears, so getting everyone nearby to think of them as their saviors helps them not to kill them off as much.

Also: youtube.com/watch?v=ryD8bPwFaAM

>how do you mercenary
We had this fun campaign where the party was basically the SOF of a large mercenary company led by the DM(N)PC. Under that pretext we could do all kind of shit like infiltration missions to gather intel for a campaign or to subvert the locals into rebellion or just into opening the doors during a siege, we could be sent to a heavily contested theather to retrieve an enemy officer for interrogation or to rescue a kidnapped local noble, we could be sent on pinpoint strikes to assassinate enemy leaders, etc.
Fun as fuck, and a lot more engaging than the classic party meets in tavern, somehow coalesces into a band of somewhat morally decent murderhoboes with very flimsy heroic plot hanging overhead.

I love it

With my loyalty only extending as far as my paycheck.

Cruelty with purpose.

Sign a contract with/against them