What are some good 'types' of magic? Like complex runes, asking spirits for help, et cetera?

What are some good 'types' of magic? Like complex runes, asking spirits for help, et cetera?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosstalk).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_detection_and_correction).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

personally, I'm a massive fan of the runey type magic. Like, there's a sort of "back door" put in the universe by the gods, and man managed to stumble into them by accident. Usually it's written seals and runes, to make more permanent magic properties like a protective field, etc. But the same seals can be 'written out' by hands in the air, though these are less permanent. Wizards are fond of using runed sticks that open up some more of the magic potential into their runes.

It might sound boring, but I've always liked elemental magic. I imagine that the magic draws from the actual element that exists on that world / universe / plane and an element can get stronger or weaker if they aren't in balance.

My personal take is differentiating between the sources and then further dividing the kinds of evocation.

For example, having Arcane, Death, Light etc as different sources, and having more complex magic require verbal and somatic components, whereas simpler magic can be conjured through hand gestures or even passive runes.

Another seldom touched upon source is drawing on your own life force as fuel; not a biggy for an essentially immortal race like Elves but disastrous for humans.

Then you get people who figure out how to fuel their magic using someone else's life force. I've read this book.

I like the concept of blood magic. Blood is life, essentially, and you can use it as a catalyst for your own spells or you can use it to drain blood from your enemies. I just have this image in my head of someone who steals the vitality of other people with his magic and uses it to augment his own power.

Have you read Ra (on qntm.org) my dude? sounds like your kind of thing maybe.

Ah.. the old joke:

>Q: How do you tell if a mage accidentally spec'd into flourine manipulation?
>A: Read the obituaries

Distracting the universe with some crazy rituals and smoke and mirror bullshit while you do something sneaky in the background to work around one of the rules.

Dream magic and astral journeys are my fetish.

Laughable: Tracing ephemeral runes in the air with your fingers
Okay: Painting runes on a surface with blood, ink, chalk, or graphite
Cool: Carving runes into a hard stone or a gem
Epic: Creating a new language of three-dimensional runes with the impurities embedded in gemstones
Source: Chunin Exam Day, a fucking NARUTO FANFICTION

Always wondered if I could use red sign of shudde m'ell to dispell the physical immunity of the color from outer space. I mean, it does have magical immunity, but that only prevents the magical immunity itself from being dispelled right? So I can use it, and then blast the color with a revolver, right?

>2018
>Still using magic systems

In my setting engraved runes is how you do magitek.
You power complex golems and machines using runes, you have runes that permanently emit light, etc. I find it works well with other types of magic.

I've always wanted to run or write a character that got so good with runes he or she enchanted themselves. Just have a character crisscrossed with ever shifting runes that grant various effects.

Rather than wasting time casting, chanting, or preparing spells they'd just launch without warning because all the leg work of engraving themselves with all this magic ochre has already been done.

Drawing runes on living beings is complicated because the flow of magic through the runes and the flow of magic through the body conflict with each other.
In terms of Naruto: If fuuinjutsu (the art of seals) is hard, juinjutsu (the art of curse marks) is even harder, because a juinjutsu master has to be a master of fuuinjutsu AND of medical ninjutsu AND of the interactions between the two disciplines.

Well I did want to do it on an expert, so the difficulty wouldn't be a deal breaker.

But I like the idea of it more being the ink that's placing the enchantment on the user rather than his skin literally being magic.

Orochimaru sure was a fucking nerd, wasn't he.

well orochimaru wanted to learn every jutsu after all.

SWORDCERY

Do you have enough swords?

>But I like the idea of it more being the ink that's placing the enchantment on the user rather than his skin literally being magic.
It isn't that "your skin is literally magic". Rather, think of it like two naked Ethernet cables running across each other IRL. Without shielding, the signals that those cables are carrying will interfere with each other and become garbled (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosstalk). Therefore, long Ethernet cables need to be coated with electromagnetic shielding.

How does this relate to fuuinjutsu and juinjutsu? If you try to draw runes in the air, their underlying magical energy will be disrupted VERY QUICKLY by the natural fluctuations of magic. This disruption progresses more slowly if you embed the runes in something stable--ink, stone, etc.--which acts as a "magical insulator" and shields the magic that's running through the runes from external interference.

However, there are powerful natural currents of magical energy running through your entire body. Just as your blood's circulatory system goes from the giant vessels near your heart to the tiny capillaries in your skin and brain, your magical circulatory system goes from big "magic veins and arteries" near your soul to smaller vessels in the rest of your body. If you're drawing runes directly on a person's body, you can't use shielding, AND you have to avoid disrupting the body's magic (or the part of the body that you draw on will become numb or dead), so you've got to have a light touch and use fancy workarounds (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_detection_and_correction).

NO

(This is also why you can't wear five different magic rings on each finger: the different enchantments will interfere with each other at such close range, even despite the stability provided by the ring's material. A prudent artificer will include error-checking algorithms and set the magic items that he creates to temporarily deactivate if a lot of interference is detected; an imprudent one will just let them do strange things--or explode.)

(Of course, all this Depends on the Setting.)

black lanterns best lanterns

Mystic Knight! Using magic to augment your shield/armor/weapon to hit even harder and faster.

Verbal and somatic components performed through song and dance, where the runes are drawn in the air with dance moves and the magic words of the creator race must be said with whole songs

Binder and Totemists worked like this