Post retro space images

Post retro space images.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tw6WMdrzbJw&t
youtube.com/watch?v=4aCZq5YMgmc&ab_channel=OpenEye
nss.org/settlement/space/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I will push my face and hands through a tight sphincter, clean them, then pull them back through the filthy sphincter again

Clench them into fists first, problem solved.

Clench your face into a fist?

You know it, fucker

>can't clench any body part into a fist at will
What are you a pussy?

Just like pooping, but in reverse.

Nobody's posting? I'll post, then.

>exposed water
>on a station with centrifugal gravity

That must be the poster example of a bad idea.

I PUSH MY FINGERS INTO MY EEEYYYYYEEESSSS
youtube.com/watch?v=Tw6WMdrzbJw&t

I haven't heard that one. What would happen?

Centrifugal gravity works by spinning something so hard everything inside stays on the ground. Exposed water would lead to drowning by spin

As opposed to normal gravity, which allows us to walk on water?

>spinning something so hard everything inside stays on the ground
>so hard
1g is 1g is 1g, it would be no more dangerous than open water on Earth

Do you think retro styled space habitats will ever be in vogue?

I'd guess if the body of water is sufficiently deep opposed to the spin radius, the difference in centrifugal force between surface and bottom could cause issues.

This is my aesthetic.

O'Neill cylinders (1g gravity, >1 billion tons material, 8km dia/32km length) would be buildable with Lunar materials, relatively easily.

I imagine the cycle goes orbital solar power > lunar colonies for manufacturing support > automated labor for colonies.

In the long term Bishop rings are the most stylish option ofc.

A Bishop ring is built of nanotech carbon allotropes instead of steel, titanium, or aluminum like an O'Neill. The typical design is 2000km in diameter at 1g, so with tall border walls (100km+) it is open to space without losing any atmosphere.

>not being a Muscle Wizard

>6283 kilometers of land
Basically a ring equivalent to the continental united states. That's a hell of a lot of living space to send into space.

>theres a strong undertow
god forbid

Yeah, giant tin cans are doable with raw materials launched from a lunar mas driver. But stuff that big (unless you're using EP tier nanotech) probably demands starlifting for the resources.

If you can starlift tho, you can scale up as large as you want, to entire nanotech diamond planets.

The other answer to living space is giving up gravity and surface area to gain volume. Put the atmosphere inside a balloon and counterbalance it from popping with a shell of rubble, so you have a vast globe of 0g air circulated by artificial fusion suns. Then use aircraft or open-air centrifugal dwellings inside.

Why wouldn't it be? Dirt in an O'Neil Cylinder isn't there for aesthetic reasons, it needs to be deep enough that any any conceivable flora can safely take root without digging into the steel/carbon fiber/exotic materials that make up the cylinder's super-structure. So, it makes sense that the water would need to be just as deep, or a little deeper.

>probably demands starlifting for the resources.

technically speaking, the same processes would work on gas giants, so wouldn't it make sense to break down the moons and rings of Jupiter and Saturn and cannibalizing the giants themselves for materials before turning our eyes at our star, since the two could serve as test runs to make sure we know it works for sure instead of just looking at our giant battery in the sky and go "well, the math says it should work so let's try to take apart the sun" and investing in the herculean task that is making enough habitats and satellites in order to pump the resources out of our parent star.

I could see there being a subculture in a post-scarcity future who adopt a retro-futuristic aesthetic for things because they think it's cool.

But then you have turbulence issues around your spinning habitats

I'd kinda like to write a book based on that aesthetic.

The advantage of doing it on the Sun is that you can then control its lifespan. Our Sun would last far longer if it were lighter. Plus you can use those materials to make a Dyson Swarm nearby.

Also do gas giants have the heavier elements we'd be aiming to lift out of a star?

Could you use the Coriolis effect to make an infinitely looping river inside a rotating space habitat?

I imagine a helical or double helical shape would work best

Here is an entire album of spacecraft concept art derived from the works of Philip Bono. It's a shame these SSTOs were never made though.

These O'Neill cylinders appear to be very wasteful of the open area they have available to them. I could imagine a "slice" or two of a rotating station to have open greenery, but it just seems absurd to me that you would devote so much time and effort to making something that is more trouble to maintain than it's worth for seemingly little population capacity. The Kalpana one design seems far more plausible in this respect.

Um spaceanons, do you know where traveller general is? Didn't see it for a week or so already.

You can also run into issues of there being too many plants, leading to eventual oxygen poisoning, but I'd partially chalk that up to artistic liberties

Is this one?

Looks retro me, but more in a 70s sense

There is a reason such things would be made at sufficient enough diameters vs their spin rate in order to prevent this.

I'm assuming your talking about what would essentially be spaghettification.

I think the biggest wasted space in an O'Neill cylinder are the window sections

I don't have much to share, but the aesthetic is interesting and I want to help.

>Syd Mead

My man.

I kinda like the idea of a space habitat using bamboo as its main construction material, giving it a sort of old Japan look, with a lot of wood and paper internal dividers

Doesn't sound very useful for the outside - that'd probably need to be more solid - but it might make for good, cheap interiors that can be easily replaced.

I mean for building stuff inside of a large enough space habitat.

Heinlein would approve of the ashtray in space, nice.
I like it.

>1g is 1g is 1g, it would be no more dangerous than open water on Earth

Correct. Also, if something is sitting on a flat plate accelerating at 9.8 m/s^2 will experience 1G.

Also, if something will float on water, it will do so no matter how strong the gravity is. The only exception is if the gravity exerts enough pressure to crush the object, making it more dense.

The Dune we never got.

Sort of reminds me of outlaw star

Never seen that before.
That's cool.

I love how the one guy is going for the pintle gun. "Jesus, Trevor, get back in here! They've got bubbles!"

>Sure, they’re cute now. In a second, they’re going to get mean, and they’re going to get ugly somehow, and there’s going to be a million more of them.

Bump.

I like that combination of hardish details with pulp sensibilities that 50s and 60s SF seemed to often have.

>Did you guys ever watch the show?!

FISTHEAAAAD
youtube.com/watch?v=4aCZq5YMgmc&ab_channel=OpenEye

>he doesn't want whole bamboo stations built with space science

What exactly is mean by retro-space?

Jesus Christ what SCP number is this?

The sci-fi aesthetic dreamed up by Americans in the 50s/60s when things were going well and not everything was chrome

You have no idea how long I've waited to see this reference. Thank you.

>von Braun
>American
>inb4 "muh paperclip"

>
outlaw star was best girl

giant spaceships with arms was a cool idea no matter how much cheese it had to it.

lo-fi raypunk

Based on a real thing!

>nss.org/settlement/space/index.html

Is it possible to have a setting or campaign that takes place entirely within a space station that's only a kilometer or two long at the most while still retaining interesting plot hooks? What kind of conflicts could arise beyond obvious maintenance based problems, especially in a more light hearted setting?

I do also have a pdf copy of one of the High Frontier books by O'Neill when it was distributed for free, if anybody would want it. The formatting is a bit bad though.

Pretty good living space if you can get along with the ruling archailect.

Seems like it'd mostly be a lot of social problems - perhaps as big as a revolt, perhaps as small as technicians and scientists not getting along. Or you could have fun with what sort of aliens might be passing by.

I'd look at Deep Space Nine - sure, it might not be the sort of setting you're going for, but unlike other Star Trek series it has to base its episodes around a stationary space station, not a free-traveling ship.

If you need to wash your face after using the toilet then frankly you have bigger problems to worry about.

If you want to see where some of Jodorowsky's ideas ended up, check out his comics work, specifically The Incal and The Metabarons series.

Shut up Wesley.

Larger version.

It also exists for radiation shielding, etc.

Retro Alien