/STG/ - Star Trek General

Making Friends Edition

Various Schools of Warp Engine Design Sub-Edition

Previous Thread: A thread for discussing the 'Star Trek' franchise and its various tabletop adaptations.

Possible topics include Modiphius' new rpg 'Star Trek Adventures', WizKids miniatures game 'Star Trek: Attack Wing', and Gale Force Nine's board game 'Star Trek: Ascendancy', as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and the Star Trek universe in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures
-Official Modiphius Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
-PDF Collection
>mediafire.com/folder/0w33ywljd1pdt/Star_Trek_Adventures

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

Star Trek: Attack Wing
-Official WizKids Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Star Trek: Ascendancy
-Official Gale Force Nine Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Star Trek: Fleet Captain
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/star-trek-fleet-captains/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Modiphius takes down links for the ST:A core rulebook. Look in the archives or ask someone to send it to you via discord. Or... you know... buy the rulebook.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ch1-ujsiMLY
i.ylilauta.org/77/cd0e2633.mp4
youtube.com/watch?v=2um-AxtSUXc&list=PLM-HN-1Cf8ri-New0lUw8OhYtj0NX5nuQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm glad you added the line about the rulebook getting taken down, but I'm worried nobody will read it at the end of the post. Especially since the mediafire link is so far up the post.

Whatever, I'm sure if it was bold, red, underlined, 22pt font repeated every other line people would still waltz in here asking for a link.

Also, first for weird fetishes.

2nd for reactor bar.

Thank Q for cold fusion!

We can try putting it under the link next thread, see if that makes any difference.

On a different note, trailer for STD Ep13 is out. Looks like they've decided "why have subtext when you can just have text?"
youtube.com/watch?v=Ch1-ujsiMLY

Testing.

i.ylilauta.org/77/cd0e2633.mp4

Yes! It worked!
Too bad i cant get the smooth criminal video working either in /wsg/ or on ylilauta (and Veeky Forums just hates it when i try to link to 8 ch.

That's pretty great, user.

Wasn't made by me though.
Also it's a shame i cant link you to the other video.
Here's a rundown on what happens in it.
Two humans and a Gorn dance the smooth criminal, to the tune of smooth criminal at quarks bar, while two out of three dancers wear formal wear.

When was that pic taken?

Perkele

looks like the fleet starbase bar.

I think it was taken right after Cryptic made some graphical updates.
Cant remember if it was 2017 or 2016.

So Vulcans went for the warp ring, Starfleet went for nacelles, what the fuck did the Andorians go for?

Nacelles I think, more compact than the Fed model though.

Looks like some sorta hull integrated nacellas, right next to the engines.

Warp coils built into the ship itself, rather than leaving them exposed. Most races seem to favor this design, presumably because it allows you to armor your nacelles and protect them better rather than leaving them exposed...

...but personally I think it's telling that the Big Three powers of the Alpha/Beta quadrants - the Federation, the Klingons, and the Romulans - all go in for an outrigger nacelle design, as did the Dominion. Evidently whatever drawbacks the outrigger design has are more than made up for with the benefits.

Just asking because I can't remember the last time Argilus was online, Satan.

Not to mention that shield technology renders most armor unnecessary anyway, so there's no need to build the hull around the warp coils.

Looks like their engine is built into the ship, at least partway into it. Those 2 pods on either "wing" could also be part of the warp drive.

I am daily online.
Dunno if we just never are online at the same time.

Also i am online right now.

It bugs the everloving shit out of me that we can't get the OG Kumari in STO, when you can get the NX, the Vulcan D'Kyr and even the Tellarite Pralim as they looked in Enterprise.
For the Andorians wer stuck with Cryptic's shitty modernised designs.

Dont forget the Suliban cell ships, they are in game as well.

Not to mention the Romulan and Klingon ships from that era. I don't understand why they've not introduced Kumari-classic. They'd make retarded amounts of money that way.

That might explain it. Are you often on alts?

How exactly do the Cell Ships play like? Are they small crafts or full sized ships?

Not that often, also most of the stuff i posthere is from other players.
I have for instance, no Gorn characters, yet i have few imagesof some.

I should've taken a pic of the tos gorn in the pink plush bunny costume.

I like the Gorn.

They’re large, multi-cell ships. Cruisers, if I remember correctly.

>Species: Gorn

I just watched that episode today, it was really good one. pretty much all the episodes of concerning Andorians have mostly been good, I would say the first one about the monastery was the meh episode of them.

I actually feel slightly better about the disgusting messes of JJtrek and STD now that you put it that way.

This guy walks into your ship and slaps your gf's ass, and she really liked it

What do you do?

Assuming drugging someone for sex is illegal I smash his face in with a barstool. If the Orions have to go on meds for their pheromones so should he. If he does not out of choice then this is an attempted rape.

Introduce him to the airlock. Sans spacesuit.

Derulio would never do something so unpleasant and so crude. Instead he’d engage in pleasing, friendly conversation with her and THEN they’d fuck.

Are any of the Voyager novels decent?
I'm interested in the Relaunch series.

And after that he will probably come talk to YOU ansd then you two will fuck aswell.

>Voyager
>Decent
That name should be enough to say that probably 99% will be utter crap, unlike 90% of most other Trek novels.

Voyager is the only trek I like

Unless he can survive extended time in the vacuum of space it's unlikely.

Really? only 10% of non-Voyager novels were written by Shatner?

Introduce him to a Klingon female and see how that “irresistible” pheromone works out for him.

So, like... is there a *USS* Charon?

It being a lazy Sunday I decide to go over to deviantart and see what new horrors awaited me upon searching for 'the Orville'. I hoped for some new starship pics but unfortunately seems like there's still a lack of that.

Which way is front on that thing?

Would it make any sense for it to be a mining ship, and that orb to be for smelting asteroids?

This guy's done some decent if very comic book character sketches in the past so I'm ok with this. They did all the main characters.

I.... what?
The text accompanying this made even less sense.

And then there was this, which is a mildly amusing concept at least.

I'm pretty sure it's a Romulan singurlarity drive.

Could do. It reminds me somewhat of the planet killer honestly. Just with a lot more holes in it.

Collection of this dude's starship sketches with some pretty decent concept material tucked away in here.

The pointy end.

I might be reaching a bit here but to me it looks like it combines aspects of the Vulcan (ring drive), Andorian (sharp, elongated and blue) and Romulan (negative central space, also applies to the Tellarites) ship designs. So maybe it's a "fuck you I stole your technology" deal.

Armored nacelles. They take torpedoes very seriously and really like not being crippled in one salvo.

It's worth pointing out that the klink ships with exposed nacelles are Romulan designs. It seems like outrigger nacelles are more temperamental and take a higher tech base to run reliably, but much more efficient and less radioactive.

Not necessarily. People are mirrored. Ship’s are incidental. Or if there is, it might be wildly different. A fleet carrier or mobile Starbase.

That's a star though, not a black hole.
Besides, a Romulan Singularity Core is incredibly heavily shielded, they don't put those things naked between a pair of huge pylons.

This thing quite literally has it hanging in the open.

>Not necessarily. People are mirrored. Ship’s are incidental.

Isn't that contradictory to everything we see about the Mirror Universe? We know there's an ISS Enterprise, and ISS Discovery, et cetera. They might have different fates, like the Shenzhou, but the ships are the same.

STO Ship (Temporal Dreadnought of all things), I very much doubt those are considered Canon.

That falls apart by DS9. The Empire fell absent a fair while back. So most of the post Undiscovered Country ships don’t even exists. I guess you can argue that protag-ships get copied over, which is something.

Right, but none of that applies to .

The Charon is a palace. Somehow I don’t see Starfleet needing one of those. So to come back to my original statement, if the Charon does exist in the prime timeline, it’s a very different ship.

I'd prefer STO being canon to STD being canon.

Set phasers to extra crispy.

>precedent for non-conformity between timelines isn’t relevant to a question about conformity between timelines

Too small to be a star. It's a cold fusion reaction, which as anybody who passed Spider-Man 2 with a 1.0 or higher can tell you, is entirely safe and only requires people standing nearby to wear safety glasses if there are enough to go around.

>Dorifto!
NANI?

I think only the top bridge area is the "palace", the ship itself is obviously pretty capable.

The answer was...
>That falls apart by DS9. So most of the post Undiscovered Country ships don’t even exists.
...which implies it's not really a relevant precedent when we're talking about pre-TOS.

It demonstrates that the 2 timelines are not 1-1. We can see that with the USS Defiant, which is likely also the ISS Defiant, or that the ISS Enterprise (NX) is destroyed well before its prime counterpart. Not the mention the numerous NX class starships that exist in the MU at a time when only the Enterprise and Columbia exist in prime.

Agreed. STO might be little more than high grade fanfiction, but it's still better than STD and JJtrek.

Looks like someone has rendered a drydock warp-capable, so yeah, maybe.

Is Shield Of Tomorrow worth a watch? They released their first episode a few days ago but I'm not a fan of Critical Role.

I mean, if you don’t like their other shit, why would you like this?

I think "because he likes Star Trek" would be the implication there.

What
said. As far as I can see it's not the same people either, though I have no issue with the cast of Critical Role, just ain't much of a Fantasy fan.

Threadly reminder that they would be unstoppable

Tortoise on the rocks, my dude.

As someone who got introduced to STA via SoT, here's my thoughts:

The first few sessions of SoT are super rough because they're learning the rules at a time when the full product hadn't been released yet. Modiphius was sending them advanced copies of the rules and they were doing their best to figure them out.

As simple as combat is supposed to be in STA, SoT drags it out like a CR encounter and/or outright avoids it to the point where they ignore a big chunk of the rules.

Speak of rules they ignore, they do not use supporting characters for whatever stupid reason. This means that the players aren't always actively engaged, and usually not so for long chunks of time. I feel bad for the doctor and the guests they have on because they get so little on-screen time compared to the captain and the XO.

The XO is way too much of a hardass in character, to the point where you wonder if Starfleet merely promoted her to shut her up. Out of character, you're supposed to play the pronoun game with her player because she's a snowflake nonbinary or some bullshit. Plus the player has an extremely annoying habit of breaking pencils into the mic. Originally this was a stress relief thing which I could understand, but now it's like she does it just to do it.

The captain is very antagonistic and outright ignores regulations, but not in a good way. One example is he wanted to use a Vulcan Mind Meld to interrogate an NPC who wasn't a prisoner or anything. He had to be talked out of it by several players, and even then he was like "Maybe next time then."

My final gripe is that they take way too long to do anything. It's something like 15-30 minutes of ingame time for every 2-3 hours of real time.

If you can get past all that, it is decent to watch. Or at least something you can put on in the background and work on something else.

The Mirror Negh'Var was like 500x the size of the Defiant, and the Prime Negh'Var was about the size of a Galaxy class. Prime Charon is an Oberth.

Here's what it looks like, at least one of the variants, anyway. It's a tier 1 yoke and it's trash.

>Non-binary pronoun game as XO
I'm not even a /pol/ack and this seems like a very bad idea to me

At which episode did they grasp the rules?

From what you are saying, I won't be able to use the show to get a feel for the rules from it, right?

>It's worth pointing out that the klink ships with exposed nacelles are Romulan designs. much more efficient and less radioactive.
何?

>Non-binary pronoun game as XO

I mean, that's fine to me as long as their *character* has a definable gender (or a definable lack of one.)

Nope, they're nonbinary IC too.

You'd be better off listening to the Ophion game that gets posted here from time to time if you're trying to get a feel for the rules. While SoT does cover things like Research, it's done in such a fashion that you could read the section of the rules yourself and draw the same conclusion.

Thanks for your help
>Ophion game
Got any links or pointers?

Here you go. youtube.com/watch?v=2um-AxtSUXc&list=PLM-HN-1Cf8ri-New0lUw8OhYtj0NX5nuQ

XO of the Ophion here.
We dealt with the reputation rules in our latest game. They aren't explained that well in the rulebook. I don't remember if that was before or after we stopped the recording though.
What we figured out was you roll 2d20 and you're looking to roll under your current reputation level. So for instance mine is 12 right now. So I roll an 11 and a 14. So I get 1 point from the 11 and not the 14. However, since the 11 is also under my responsibility range (Lt. Cmdr 19-20) I get an extra point from it. Which would bring me to 14.

>Which would bring me to 14.
I suppose you mean to 2?

Thanks for the link, saved.

No, I meant 14. Started at 12 and got 2 points from rolling an 11.

Ah ye, makes sense. I should go to bed now. Thanks again.

I think you're forgetting Charon is a river

No problem. Enjoy the videos. I know I've had a great time playing in the game. The latest game was particularly good. And it looks like the beginning of this next arc is going to be even better. I'm excited to see what these Romulans have in store for us.

It's also a moon, one of the USS Titan's sisters.