My First Supers Game

For my first time DMing I want to run a superpowers game for my group of D&D players. Whats the easiest game to start and learn from? I know theres M&M and GURPS but I forgot the difference between the two.

Or should I be asking what system is best for making powers? The powers the three of them were
>beetleman transformation
>teleportation à la Jumper
>physics manipulation which I will nerf to the ground

Other urls found in this thread:

rpgnow.com/product/65882/BASH-Ultimate-Edition?manufacturers_id=68
herogames.com/
mediafire.com/file/zs4ehpw4w52cp3w/Aberrant.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Weaver Dice

Lolno. Its still incomplete right?

Also, my friends really want a game in the same vein as My Hero Academia while I want Worm goodstuff. Is there a way to make this work?

M&M is the closest to standard d20.
GURPS is shit.

Go with M&M 2e, herolab has character builder, demo is free.

M&M is absolutely the closest one to D&D - 1e M&M spawned directly off of the D&D 3e/d20 System OGL, with each system going farther and farther away from standard d20 naming systems.

So it'll be a lot easier for your players to jump to it. Be warned, it's a very different kind of game than D&D, looting murderhobos aren't really supported in the system.

Those powers are all pretty easy to handle in both M&M 2e and 3e.

Decide whether it's My Hero Academia or Worm in advance, and inform your players of such. These are two completely disparate tones, and while perhaps a middle ground can be found between them it's very likely going to end in one or more likely both of the parties unhappy.

YES! Thank you; I can't stand M&M3e.

What if you nerfed the physics manipulation to chemistry manipulation, i.e., the ability to induce, hasten, slow, and cease chemical reactions, and eventually progress to combustion inducement, kinetic blasts, and crude gravity bending? That's what I would do if I was GMing a supers game for someone who wanted to control physics.

I like GURPS but it's probably better for a more grounded game, some supers have disproportionate point costs. I've heard good things about M&M.

I think it's complete enough to play with, but is right. Definitely clear it with your players first.

HERO my dude.

Beetleman Transformation is multiform on a normie character for your setting's Point limit.

Teleportation is super easy, infact you can build attack teleports to teleport others around.

Physics manip? Telekinesis, density alteration. theres quite a few powers there which will allow you to it, and you don't need to nerf it to the ground as all powers effects must be bought.

3E is basically the same game except they broke up Dexterity into multiple attributes, changed the costs of summons, and removed the Independent power modifier.

Someone help me create Kamen Rider for M&M 3e.

Weaverdice itself can't handle the craziness thaty ou should be able to do according to Weaverdice's own setting.

What is the best system to replicate pic related and her nasty bugs?

They changed a lot more than that. Here's a few more that I remember just off the top of my head, and I haven't looked at either of the core books in a while.

- Doubled the cost of skills (while admittedly trimming the skill list)
- Removed the Device/Container power in favor of the Removable flaw
- Instead of having Stun/Dazzle/Paralyze/Nauseate/Snare/etc as all separate powers, they combined all those non-damage effects as the Affliction power, and gave ideas for how to differentiate different afflictions. Did similar to clean up the various powers that were just damage, but with a different descriptor.
- Halved the effectiveness of the Impervious modifier, without changing the cost or doing anything about Penetration in return.

All that being said, most of their changes from 2e to 3e (not all, most) are decent. Some are pointless, some just make you say what the fuck.

And an aside, I really hate what Freedom City 3e did to Johnny Rocket's outfit. His outfit as shown in 2e is simple, fun, and it works. His 3e outfit, though... blegh. It makes the LINESLINESLINES of post-Flashpoint DC characters look good.

Honestly, for Worm stuff I'd actually probably go with Wild Talents. It's better for the more gritty superpowered stuff, in my opinion, while M&M is more of the replicating the more 4-color classic comics.

>Whats the easiest game to start and learn from?
Basic Action Super Heroes [BASH] rpgnow.com/product/65882/BASH-Ultimate-Edition?manufacturers_id=68
It a simple flexible system that will allow for most anything you can think of. There's a lot of streamlining techniques to take the tedium out of combats.

>what system is best for making powers?
Champions/Hero System herogames.com/
Goes the opposite route to achieve flexibility through a comprehensive system. Its much more complicated, It is much more math and dice intensive than BASH but in exchange there is no ability you can conceive that cannot be created using this rule set.
Honestly, I do not recommend Champions unless at least two people at the table are knowledgeable with it before you start. (but some days I long for a group to play this with again.)

Wild Talents is the best general setting on the market, but Masks: A New Generation does the teen hero genre fucking perfectly.

Kapow! is a fairly self explanatory system. The pdfs and character sheets are all free on drivethru rpg. Its not always the best, but my dm uses it for our year and a half long campaign.

Don't forget they made Impervious (and by extension Penetrating) completely pointless.

Pitiful bump

Take this and be happy.
mediafire.com/file/zs4ehpw4w52cp3w/Aberrant.pdf

I did mention that. Somebody else mentioned at one point (I can't remember if it was on a previous supers thread here or over at the MnM subreddit) that there's an option in the 3e core book for using 2e style Impervious, though. I'm not as familiar with 3e since I've really only skimmed it here and there, I'm more interested in the lore updates for the core setting than I am in the actual mechanics for 3e.

Am I retarded or is Wild Talents character generation a bitch to understand?
Like I get the basics of the One Roll Engine and how conflict is resolved but I just can't wrap my head around how a character is made.
Power sources for example, are they just fluff and flavortext or does the origin of the characters power serve a purpose beyond that?
If I were to run a Worm game how would I handle the power source, considering all Worm powers come from a single source?

Semi-related to this topic.
Im looking to run a supers game for my group but have no real experience. Im probably going to be running them through m&m. Ive played and dmed a lot of 5e so skill checks make sense to me. Degrees of success also make sense to me. Attacks go attack roll, defense roll, save roll right?
Also what do you think would be more fun of a main villian for game that might not last too long; a guy who uses luck manipulation and super intellect to rube goldberg his way through schemes; a speedster; or a pretty standard big bruiser /psyker duo

No defense roll. Attack vs Defense score, Toughness roll if necessary.

As for villain, each of those that you mentioned can do well depending on what sort of plot you're planning on doing.

Then whats active defending mean?

Im not too sure, but as of yet im planning on having the pcs be new heroes assigned to a city by *hero organization* and have the villains be trying to make a name for themselves / trying to win out against weak new heroes
Im planning on a more lighthearted pulpy feel if that matters

HERO is underrated.
Speaking of, if you need to design your costumes, Champions Online has a really good character customizer, and the best part is that it's free and you don't even need to play the game itself to enjoy the customization.

"Active" defenses are dodge/parry. They aren't actually rolled, though. They're called that because you lose your bonuses if you're caught by surprise or otherwise can't actively defend yourself.

Okay i got it, thanks m8

>tfw forever dm
>tfw will literally never be able to play a superhero

Well, since you like weebshit that's a good thing.

GM one, then you can to play NPC ones.

Weebshit superheros are a breath of fresh air after years of DC/Marvel trash.
It's not the same. I always give my players 90% of the action so I don't even bother with DMPCs.

>only DC and Marvel make capeshit

>dc and marvel aren't 90% of capeshit in the west

That's not what you said tho.

Well it's what I'm saying now.

So you admit to moving the goalposts?

I admit to misrepresenting my opinion. I said that I'm tired of DC/Marvel trash, I did not say that they are the only ones producing trash.

>muh grorious niponese superheroes are better than these other non-DC/Marvel ones I don't even know
Okay.

wew lad
>fuck 100% of the eastern market
>btw dc and marvel don't represent the western market

Who are you quoting?

The guy who thinks
>weebshit
Is an argument

In his defense, OPM is pretty garbo.

Don't give him off-topic yous, just hide his posts with the arrow and go back to telling OP to avoid boku no worst anime this decade.

All of this shitposting over a OPM reaction image when it wasn't even the first one in the thread.

It's for a very specific subgenre of supers, but Masks is probably the best Supers game on the market

What subgenre would that be?

Besides pic related what is some worthwhile capeshit reading material?

Basically superhero bildungsroman
It's very specifically targeted at, if not teenaged, at least *young* superheroes, and it's very much about growing up, and the characters coming to terms with their self-image and identity.

Astro City

The biggest problem I've had is making distinctive villians, alotta generators are just goofy shit.