magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Do we really need all these Art Sources?
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

Old Thread

I got nothing else going on. Might as well make some shitty cards.

Pretend Essence Sage is a UB gold card; I forgot to update the frame. I used another card to make it that had art I liked but it was hybrid and garbage.

Some old red, some new red.

Scree Elemental 1RRR
Creature- Elemental
Menace, haste
Whenever ~ attacks, you may pay XR. If you do, return ~ to it's owner's hand and create X tapped and attacking 1/1 red Elemental creature tokens with "At the beginning of the next end step, exile this creature."
3/3

Grakka Banner 2
Artifact- Equipment
Whenever ~ becomes equipped to a creature you control, flip a coin. If you win the flip, creatures you control get +2/+0 until end of turn. If you lose the flip, sacrifice equipped creature.
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and has Menace.
Equip 1(2/r)

Mnemomancy Mishap R
Sorcery
Name a nonbasic card, then search your library for up to four cards with that name and exile them. Shuffle your library, then scry X, where X is the number of cards exiled in this way.

First Spark R
Sorcery
Search your library, hand, and graveyard for up to three cards named ~, reveal them, and exile them. ~ deals X+2 damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of cards exiled this way. Shuffle your library.

Opportunity Cost R
Sorcery
Scry 1 a number of times equal to your devotion to red.

Cackling Gorefiend 2RR
Creature- Devil
Haste
Other creatures you control get +1/+1 and have haste.
Opponents have Hexproof.
4/3

>scree Elemental
do these tokens need to exile? Trying to avoid triggers when things hit the yard? I feel like with the self-bounce it wants some U in there, but I dunno, at rare you can get away with some shit.
>Grakka Banner
Not the biggest fan, but thoroughly red. Would make a good colored equipment actually.
>Mnemomancy Mishap
This feels kind of UB, not R to me. Also it's super good; thins your deck, scrys, all for R. Casting it early is really damn strong. Also interesting use of "nonbasic card".
>First spark
Again, too hot of a first turn play I think, sorcery or not. This can hit for 6 damage for R. If it hit for 4, it might be okay. but 6 feels right out. Again, deck thinning so added utility that isn't apparent to some people.
>opportunity cost
Blue card. All colors can get scry but only blue should really being doing it on its own with no other effects attached.
>gorefiend
Hm. I'm on the fence about this. giving your opponents hexproof feels shitty at first, but in haste.dec you don't care; burn is for removal, not hitting players. this would likely love a home in a BR deck. I feel like it's hard to for me to judge if it's too strong

also why didn't you mock any of these up? photojoiner is fixed now if that was the issue.

>Scree Elemental
I will be very disappointed if the flavor text is anything other than "SCREEEEEEEEEE"

I'm not a fan of Cunning. It's a mostly different vigilance in non-vigilant colors, but leads to board states that are not easily read.

Fanatic bothers me as an A-B mechanic that does nothing on its own.

Well when I was making Fanatic I had two options: make it like Renown, or make it like Outlast. I went with the former to prevent the obvious abuses. Cunning does sort of feel something like not!Vigilance but it does play a bit differently in terms of activated abilities, which was mostly the point. I was just trying to keep it simple and easy to understand without making it have other baggage.
>tl;dr your shit sucks faggot stop making cards
Yeah I know.

>Scree Elemental
Red did a bit of self-bounce back in the day, and it seemed like a reasonable cost.
>Grakka Banner
Too spicy, or just the coinflips?
>Mnemomancy Mishap
This and First Spark were attempting to stake out "Filter Shit You Don't Want" for red "card advantage".
>First Spark
Max of five (You have to be casting one to get the effect), and might up it to instant and make it only creatures. Also the danger of drawing multiples.
>Opportunity Cost
Another experiment into red card advantage. It lets you dig pretty deep, but you have to decide whether the thing you got is the BEST thing you could get and stop there.
>Gorefiend
I think someone was making WH40K cards poorly and it was annoying me, so I made something vaguely khornate.

>max of five
whoops, you're right. derp. proposed changes might help but the thinning is still real.

Heh, funny. But I do like it.

Reposting these

Looks like someone can't afford a good mana base.

lol
Nonbasic hate happens a lot, but this relatively fair. Considering that cards like blood moon can be much much worse.

I dont mind a couple random dudes at common with downsides, but having a whole cycle in all colors seems eh to me just conceptually. The designs also seem all over the place and I wish they were a little more consistent.

Maybe make them all 1 toughness and you can spend colorless to make them indestructible?

Mardu Blazebringer
>When ~ attacks or blocks, sacrifice it at end of combat.
Or "at the beginning of the next end step" like Brackwater Elemental, your choice.

>Fossilized Plesiosaur
>Dinosaur
Not entirely accurate, but close enough.
>Fish
This on the other hand, is dead wrong. This is like saying a whale is a fish.

>At the beginning of your end step, you may destroy target nonbasic land. If you do, its controller [...]
End step instead of upkeep is weird. And shouldn't it have the basic land ETB tapped?

I suggest this should be costed 2/W 2/U 2/B 2/R 2/G.
This is purely for flavor purposes, sense it's 1 mana per guild gate discounted, meaning it's completely free if you have all 10.

Still trying to get feedback on this wording. Again, no targets because it fixes the problem most people had with the previous iteration.

Flavor: Using the speed force to either take speed from other objects (tapping) or lending it to them (untapping).

...Hatsune Miku?

Conscription needs ot be legendary other wise having 2 in play results in a game lock due to infinite state based action changes.

I imagine time stamps would handle that.

Black Condor, one of the Freedom Fighters. Navajo man granted powers by the Spider Woman (a goddess in some Native American myths). The powers themselves don't seem to be much more than the typical Flying Brick powers (super strength, super durability, flight), so I used the excuse of "it's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit" to just go crazy with the ability. I actually really like how it came out. If I decide to change the card's ability in a future iteration to something more in-line with his characterization (ie beating the shit out of people) I'll just take the ability and put it onto something else.

I feel like you could do without the colorless bit. Or just make it one mana of any color, because you're already at 6 mana in green.

Eh. I kinda liked looking at the color, or lack thereof, of the creature. But I can change it. Thanks.

Oh fuck me, this is a worse Druids’ Repository, isn't it?

Do you consider it ever appropriate to depict Legendary creatures on non-legendary card art?
For example, if they did an art of young Thalia as a Champion of the Parish, would you consider this a bad way to use the character?

If they use the art to show something related to the legendary creature without it actually supposed to be representing them personally, sure. Magic has been doing this since basically Weatherlight. I'm not entirely sure I understand your question.

Rahilda is a named secondary character that was made into a nonlegendary card. If you wanted to use an existing legendary that's popular as a nonlegendary card, I don't have a problem with it other than you're squandering that popularity.

Bring back real-world flavor quotes!

This , I have another old school example. Gerrard's featured card painted him as a non-legendary nobody for about five years until somebody decided to give their main character a real one.

I always wondered why Gerrard had that weird-ass tap ability. Now I know why.

Wait, maybe we should just go back and fix bad legendary cards like Gerrard. Maybe... something to do with Domain?

Trying to look up good quotes, but the best are frauds. ("I will fight no more forever" and "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.") I'll try again in the morning.

+1: Search your graveyard, hand and library for a card named Arrest and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

OR

+1: Create a white Aura enchantment token named Arrest. It has enchant creature, and "Enchanted creature can't attack or block, and its activated abilities can't be activated."

Neither? I'd rather you find some other way to achieve the same flavor that doesn't involve removal on a plus ability.

Generated the first booster for my completed set (still needs a lot of balancing and tweaking.) The set is based on a Dawn of Worlds game from a few years back.

Running a fake "spoiler season" for it with my friends.

Thought a lot about how I want the drafts to go, and the pack distribution. Will probably post more in these threads as spoiler season goes on. Feel free to shit on them, they likely need a lot of balancing.

bump

Nice.

How do you think you did on the test?

On the "most likely red card" question I want to punch myself. I was half asleep and didnt see that the rummmaging one was actually looting and went eith regrowing sorcery one since its really uncommon and only for hheavy graveyard themes. I want to complain because it was obviously an intentional trick to fuck with you but it was my fault for not reading more closely. Otherwise I think I answered the best I could.

Doesnt matter though because I didnt submit it.

Cool interaction with Flagstones of Trokair Drownyard Temple, and similar cards.

Are you the user who designed the Augur mechanic?

Nope, that ain't my card.

A mechanic even worse than Loner. Wow.

I an, I think its okay as a random one of black rare. Loner was a whole subtheme in AVR. I dont get the flavor at all though and that sucks because the art is pretty evocative.

Since both resulted in people coming back from the dead, I decided to give them both the same recursion effect, but a different added effect that suited the colors. Not entirely sure on the cost, since apparently this type of recursion has never been on a card by itself, at least that I can find.

I have a couple niggling things without focus on details involving balancr or anything like that here. I cant tell what your theme is. I guess thats partially due to having to use existing art and not seeing a full set, but I just cant tell what your setting is. I see desert dudes, nordic dudes, naval dudes, halflings (kithkin are halflings by the way, I would recommend using that type, but whatever). I see a full art vanilla (I would reserve this for a set where vanillas mattering is a subtheme unless theres a good reason). An enchantment card type, reveal stuff (im not even sure if this stuff works, I rememeber it being said to be a rules problem in the GDS2), a keyword out of the outdated version of the squadron hawk mechanic (you should use the new version, but I also dont know if you should have enough in a set this would need to be keyworded), counters that go on creatures on low rarity cards that arent +1/+1 or -1/-1 (you dont do this because it makes it harder to track which counters are which), a ton of keywords/mechanics and things that matter, landwalk isnt really a thing anymore... probably some more. Its all kinda messy.

I still have respect for completing a set with art and everything but Im not super hyped on this. I think your core idea thats really cool is weather. Im not sure how youre doing it, but I would include a checklist card with the weathers listed on it and the rules about them, which youd put into play and use to mark the weather currently active. Thats actually really an awesome nugget to me at first blush if you do it like that. Without a marker its gonna be tough to track or even know what it means. I also dont exactly get what it has to do with the setting.

I'm not too sure about the costs myself, but I know that darkest night should cost more than brightest day.

Blackest Night is absurdly overpowered. Dumping seven or more creatures into your graveyard (14 or more in EDH, which is where this card would be most played and most degenerate) is comically easy. I can already see the U/B/X control deck casting Traumatize on itself for some no work wins.

How would you change the mana cost and the lifeloss? Is Brightest Day fine as-is? I looked up other cards and it seems like gaining/losing 1 life per creature isn't very expensive, which is why I was thinking 3 life instead.

In all honesty a 7 mana one sided Living Death with no drawback is good enough on its own in either color.

Decrease lifegain/loss to 1, increase mana cost to 5MMM. Sound fair?

Because why not design an entire card based on fanart of Chandra as a Warcaster commanding a Warjack?

If you're making it 8 CMC the life change can be 2, however, gain 2 life for each creature you control is far worse than each opponent loses 2.

I think a 4WWW and 4BBB return all creatures from your graveyard to play is fine on its own. But if you're insistent on there being a life aspect:
4WWW: return all you gain 3 for each creature you control
4BBB: return all, each opponent loses 1 for each creature you control
would be fine, if you're pushing the mirror effect
5WWW: return all, gain 2 for each
and
5BBB: return all, each opponent loses 2 for each
is fair.

>ELEVEN LINES of text.

Good lord. No.

Seems a natural fit. Also her parents being artificers means her getting a RW "artifacts and burn matter" card is welcome from a fluff standpoint.
>+1
More GR/W than RW I think. R and W both care about tutoring artifacts but G cares more about doing it with creatures than either of them. Also pretty strong for a +1 on a 4-mana PW.
>other +1
I like this way better. Get rid of the first +1, replace it with this, and good to go. Would have to come up with a -N ability (having two +s on a 3-ability PW is a bit too good imo) but there's a lot RW can do for that.
>-8
"each creature that player controls" I think. I think you can also pare the last bit down to "equal to the number of artifacts and/or creatures you control". I may be wrong on that but it'd save some space if I'm not.

Card shouldn't target. As-is, it's unable to recur a creature card that gets milled from Augur. Check out Corpse Churn for precedence.

Ah yeah you're right. I make that mistake all the time. Everything else like cost and effect seems okay though?

I agree with nixing the first ability. Maybe make the second a booster, like "-2: Until end of turn, artifacts you control get "T: This deals 1 damage to target creature or player."" or "-2: Untap each artifact you control and artifact creatures you control get +2/+0 until end of turn."" or something.
More from the warcaster side of things, is what I'm saying.

Hmm... Yeah, I think the rest is fine. Plain graveyard to battlefield creature recursion is 4 CMC at uncommon, and Scry 3 then Impulse would probably be 1 CMC, 2 max. Considering this is rare and gold, it's probably fine.

Yeah I was looking at Breath of Life when I made it, so I figured I was in the ballpark. I figured CMC5 was good because late game you can use it to get a land if you didn't have one to play, or a cheap burn spell or Aura for whatever you grab from the yard.

Think I'll use gain 3 and lose 1. Thanks.

OK, how about this?

>"each creature that player controls" I think.
Lavalanche, Chandra Nalaar, and Chandra, Pyrogenius use "damage to target player and each creature he or she controls."

>I think you can also pare the last bit down to "equal to the number of artifacts and/or creatures you control". I may be wrong on that but it'd save some space if I'm not.
It would, but there is a slight mechanical difference, in that my wording will count artifact creatures twice, rather than once. You can see the same thing happen with War Report. But I can understand if that's a small enough change it's worth changing.

Whew man, that's a lot of text. Does each ability really need to be that complicated?

I could cut down the last ability a bit, but that's it. The number of lines won't even change. Do you have any suggestions?

>cards
Nothing super exciting to me. Only issue I have is with the last, probably shouldn't be exiling a permanent at 4 CMC. Downsides, I know, but I think it should be restricted to exiling a creature.

Also kinda surprised you didn't make these a vertical cycle, or model/name them after the titans.

Well, I guess I could make her a 4 ability walker and make the +1 just make the 1/1 with Haste, and give her a 0 or -1 to make the 3/3. I'd prefer not to though.

>model/name them after the titans
Well, I did. Ulamog, Kozilek, and Emrakul are the titans of consumption, distortion, and corruption respectively, and that also puts them in ascending order of P/T, which I reflected in the increasing costs of the charms. And found some appropriate art for each.

>restricted to exiling a creature
I didn't think it was too oppressive at 4, but okay.

As for, uh.. Tezzerchandra... I probably wouldn't feel the need to make every single ability mention artifacts. We get it, she's about artifacts now, but you don't need to go overboard with it. I can't really think of any specific suggestions, other than you're changing Chandra's focus so much you might as well just be making a new character. Look at Sarkhan: he's been 4 different color identities, but they're all still focused on dragons.

Fair point. Stepping back from it a bit and re-assessing is almost never a bad idea.

OK, another go. More focus on damage. Not entirely sure about the +1, but I liked the idea.

As for Corruption Charm exile, I could be wrong. Closest I can think of is Pognify, which does help your case. Maybe nonland?

Distortion Charms strikes me as the strongest one, as each mode is good and not that overcosted. Consumption Charm has one good mode and two situational ones, which is fine. Corruption Charms is fair, as each mode is situational but costed appropriately.

This is not balanced at 3 mana or uncommon.

Always capitalize subtypes, such as Swamp.
At first glance, you have way too many "marker" mechanics.
Representation is going to be trivial to turn on with dual lands at common.
Balance is indeed all over the place. Ozzie Raid Barge is busted, even ignoring that it's a common.
Spirit is just going to be a rules headache.

There's a lot of text here, but overall this isn't much more than draft filler.

At random makes me think this should cost more.

Not meant to be much more than that. Actually a flavor card more than anything. Its a skeleton with defensive stats and text, that comes back if theres weak things that might need protecting.

This gave me a silly idea.

Burn the Skein 3(r/b)(r/b)
Sorcery
Exile your graveyard. You may play creatures, instants, and sorceries exiled this way until end of turn.

Smaller version

Kill the Past RRR
Sorcery
Choose a card type, then exile your graveyard. You may play cards of the chosen type exiled this way until end of turn.

>Kill the Past
Sounds like Red's take on Creeping Renaissance.

post your cool custom arts

That's pretty good.

What do you think of this plane idea? Two old walkers fight through the multiverse and one of them end up escaping and dying in a remote plane. In that planeswalker's possession was a powerful mox that quickly starts taking over the weak plane. With the mox's power everything on the plane grows out of control. The people eventually start thinking of the mox as a god and worship it

So... a mashup of the Mirari and Mirrodin?