What would be the best system for running Ghost in the Shell?

What would be the best system for running Ghost in the Shell?

Other urls found in this thread:

datafortress2020.com/gits.html
serenadawn.com/GhostintheShellRPG.htm
sendspace.com/file/cvqcg4
youtube.com/watch?v=408tWOubRDM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Cyberpunk 2020.

GURPS + Nitzche

bump

Cyberpunk 2020 is my favorite system, and I usually recommend it, but I’m not sure it would be the best system for a GitS campaign. Hacking isn’t great and there are no rules for brain hacking. I think that Ex Machina might be the better system out of the box for this.

Eclipse Phase, there's an insane focus on cyberbodies (and biobodies), as well of a lot of cyberpunk

If it was me I'd do shadowrun. just say the magic chapter is off limits and probably scrap essence as a stat.

It's a shame the system is so overly heavy. Could probably also just make a Cyberpunk 2020 house rule.

Actually it already exists: datafortress2020.com/gits.html

TV, Blu-ray player and a high fidelity sound system

Thinking about it, this could be easily done in Cyberpunk 2020. There is a "remote control" function in the netrunning part. A netrunner can hack and control every remotely controlled device within a certain area, provided he has the right program. Just create a brain hacking program, make TN to hack cyberbrains, and a TN to implant suggestions, and that's basically it.

Something else to consider: are there any good resources on the world of GitS outside of what's presented on the shows/movies?

Ex Machina sounds interesting. Does anyone have a PDF?

Well there's the manga, otherwise thats it as far as I know.

It's difficult to find, but I had it somewhere. Let me search.

I want to try something similar with NeuroSpasta 5e.

Here you have it, mate: www.sendspace.com/file/bsbsbz

eclipshe phase if you cut out like half the rules and re-work the futurstic bullshit into cyberpunk bullshit

Amazing, thanks

The Manga, the movies, SAC, Arise, etc are all different settings, though. They aren't connected.

only SAC has fanfiction-tier stories,
the manga/arise can definitely coexist.
the first movie is just tl;dr of the original manga run, second one tries to adapt missing chapters but it's a mess as it's a sequel.

Was Ex Machina d20 ever made? I don't find it anywhere.

>arise

How's Shadow Run these days?

I feel like you could modify it for flavor but, I haven't played it much.

Eclipse Phase.

The system itself is well designed.
The books are not.

>SAC
>fanfiction-tier

Many thanks, user

I don't think I've played ShadowRun in the last decade, what's the issue with the books? I was thinking about picking them up but, maybe I shouldn't.

I mean... there's the GitS Roleplaying game, so that would probably be best. serenadawn.com/GhostintheShellRPG.htm

The download page is 404'd

Not that I know of, but there's a D20 GitS conversion. Here's the download link for it: sendspace.com/file/cvqcg4

Dr. Feelgood provides once more.

The NeoTokyo soundtrack suits a GitS-themed RPG pretty well: youtube.com/watch?v=408tWOubRDM

2nd hand information but apparently they have horrifically poor lay outs.

Not a deal breaker but means lots of printing off of cheat sheets or usage of sticky labels if you want things to find anything with any kind of speed, such as during a game.

The layout is nothing compared to the sheer amount of rules. Shadowrun 5th edition is a 500 pages long monster from which the vast majority are only rules and charts. In my opinion, you can forget speed with such a system. It's way too cumbersome. You'll constantly be searching for charts and lists. By comparison, I resumed Cyberpunk 2020's system on three pages of charts (and I even added additional charts from a supplement).

Ah, thanks.

Holy shit, it's almost 2020 IRL

It is. I'm already planing passing 2019/20 New Year's Eve in Chiba.

>+Nitzche
I don't watch anime but is GITS really that nihilistic?

Not that that nihilistic, more existentialist in that "What is human?", sometimes "What is real?" kind of sense.

Holy Shit! I haven't gotten a chill like that in years.. I think I might plan on it too.

Motoko is a depressive. Prolly be insane if not for Aramaki.

Nihilism isn't depressive

depends on the adaptation, the mood of the manga is completely different than the movie, with SAC somewhere in the middle but still closer to the movie.

>SAC has fanfiction-tier stories
How does it feel to have such shit taste, user?

Depressives can be nihilists. 4 out of 5 dentists.

This is a pretty bad post.

It's kept vague on purpose. The US split into 3 different countries, there have been two additional world wars and nuclear weapons aren't as effective anymore

You made the tachikomas cry

Remember when these niggas saved the world?

More like 5 repeating digits

Well yes, but not because they're nihilist.
Checked

>The system itself is well designed.

>I don't watch anime but is GITS really that nihilistic?
Nah, I wouldn't call it that, more like what this user said It's actually pretty optimistic, as cyberpunk goes. Yes, there's danger with all this new tech and humans turning slowly but surely in to something else entirely. You see that across the genre. But GitS has this feeling like the advancing tech really can solve all humanity's problems maybe, the government and corps are often relatively benign actors, etc.

oh shit haahaha that would make a great character, for a novel? A self-identifying nihilist desperately trying to cope with her depression brought on by her nihilism.

jeebus, checked

The vast, VAST majority of humanity isn't, and seemingly will never attain the higher levels of transhuministic, non-physical reaches characters like the Major will. The show is very bleak is portraying this aspect. The future is here, and we don't want it/can't handle it, besides the animal comforts it provides.

The show focuses more on the political turnmoil and less of the stories of the little people, ironically the best episodes are the ones that barely deal with Section 9

We take what we from great artistic works, if they are indeed great. This one is.

Seconding GURPS. It has the operator shit going on. It has easy mechanical ways to handle consciousness-body independence. Its hacking rules are, themselves, easily hackable. In this respect, you can make it as cinematic as you want by swapping or adding rules.

At the very least, the Mystery book is a well-written mostly-agnostic resource for running detective stuff. There have been at least a couple issues of Pyramid which touched on cyberpunk stuff. The Action series of books probably have all that you need in terms of character templates ready2eat. Give it a look, visit the general and ask.

Like creepy pedo Motoko toying with an adolescent boy with her cyborg body? It never took a dark turn, and stayed above board, but it was off-color and seemed to show some real immaturity and vulnerability on the part of the Major.

Movies Major is an entirely different character from Anime Major

Anime Major Best Major

I haven't seen the movie. Is she disturbed in it, too?

I meant the animated movies, she's much more gloomy and contemplative, never cracks a smile, often ponders about her existance.

Anime series major is much more light-hearted and fun, like she already went through her existential phase and came to terms with it,

Are talking about the manga, as opposed to the anime serie(s) and films, and live action movie? I have only watched the anime. Not live action, and not read the manga.

I'm talking about the two animated movies that came before(1995, 2004) and the tv show (SAC). The latest live-action movie is dull as fuck, and from what I understand the manga is almost a slice of life gag thing and the major is more a comedic sex fiend in that.

Ya I couldn't get into the manga. I agree. I've created my own gestult version of the character for myself. She's a mess. I wouldn't want to meet her, but a great character.

Been a long time since I watched the series. It's gotta be my all time favorite animated production. Alongside the rankin/bass The Flight of Dragons, oddly enough.

Ed Harrison is from the future