As a GM, how do you deal with your PCs enacting horribly flawed plans...

As a GM, how do you deal with your PCs enacting horribly flawed plans? (Specifically cases where the PCs are either too clever for their own good or they've got a blind spot)

Do you just let them flounder and hope that teaches them a lesson? Do you speak up right away as a GM? Have them roll a intelligence check and then point out the plan's weakness if they pass? Play along and smooth out the wrinkles behind the scenes? Do you drop hints? Have an NPC join their discussion? Something else entirely?

As somebody who's come up with my share of terrible ideas as a player, I've yet to find an approach that works for my group. I should stress, they're not stupid players, they just have a habit of devising schemes that are way too complicated or reliant on assumptions to ever work.

have an npc point out flaws in the plan, usually

Nice railroad

Warning players of unforeseen risk isn't really the same as railroading them. You're just ensuring they make an informed decision. Now, if you were also making recommendations, then you'd be getting into the railroad business.

It's tricky,
Normally i straight up just let them go with it, but let them know what they would need to roll or do to pull it off.
Example would be

>"We hide on the fire Escape, Trigger the fire Alarm and sneak in"
I'll let them know that they can do that, but everyone will be trying to escape down the fire escape so they'll have to come up with some way to hide,
If they say something dumb like "Stealth checks" i'll say they'll have to roll pretty high to get it, and i'll be rolling for each person coming out. And then i roll and just fudge the number depending on how dumb their idea is.

Another time, another game
>The party was engaging some slavers,
>The rogue had slipped away and was trying to lock pick a lock
>Uses his combat turns to do that, Said he was looking to free the slaves so they could fight the guards with them.
>Behind the door were some more guards who would straight up 1 hit this rogue,
>I had intended them to get a key and poke around in the other room first
>Tell him it's a really difficult lock.
>He keeps trying
>Rogue scores nat 20 + 5 for lockpicking
>I'll give it to him. Lock opens up.
>Reveal the room and place the 3 guards.

So instead of rolling them up for initiative i give him the quick option of "Okay buddy, three hulking guards, All staring at you, Looking puzzled, One asks Who're you? What do you do?"

Gave him a turn to try and convince them,
He rolled persuasion, he had no skills in it should've gone for deception instead.
They weren't convinced said "they are now advancing on you."
and let him have another turn to run away before rolling them into initiative.

It's not a railroad if the players adopted the NPC.

What is the NPC is a talking railroad? Checkmate.

Depends on where the flaw lies:
If it's based on a flawed or wrong assumption i either point it out to them if it'd be obvious for the characters, let them just make the assumption (and fail) or make it true post-hoc.
For example:

>'... and then we will burn down their buildings, hopefully killing a few and smoking out the rest.'
>'Guys, remember, these are ever-burning fire-demons. Their houses are made from metal and stone. Plus they probably enjoy it.'

>>>

>'... and then we will burn down their buildings, hopefully killing a few and smoking out the rest.'
As they get there they see that the defenses of the guard house are actually better then expected. The ground floor windows are shuttered and they can see the outline of somebody on the roof surveying the surroundings.

>>>

And so the goblin tents turned from leather tepees to canvas yurts.

tell them to make a wisdom check
>party walking through spooky woods
>multiple npc’s told them about old legends
>half demon/dragon from 100000 years ago
>”the gods grew jealous of her power so they blinded her and tore off her wings”
the actual monster is like cr 16 if I remember but at this point it’s a death sentence for the party regardless
>npc tells them the road is safe if they’re quiet
>they aren’t quiet
>thumping footsteps herd in the distance
>deafening screech
>trees fall in its wake and reveal the gargantuan monster
>cleric: “I want to cast spiritual weapon”
>me: “before you do that make a wisdom check”
>me:”you realize this thing will kill you and it would be stupid to try to fight it”

>What is the NPC is a talking railroad?
what did he mean by this?

If it looks like their plan is due to the players not understanding something I said poorly, I tend to step in. It wouldn't be right if MY poor word choice killed them.

Now if they just forget clear instructions and warnings...

let them fail, it's there fault.
otherwise it depends on the type of flaws they have.

What if YOU fucked up on a detail they misinterpreted?

>muh railroad!
Is there a bigger sign of an inept cuck than complaining about "railroading" where it doesn't exist?
If the plan is a shitty fucking plan, and you as DM know this because you're the fucking DM, there's literally nothing wrong with using an NPC to point out the flaws. A little bitch like you would probably cry if the DM didn't and your retard plan ended in TPK

I basically just use some variation on "are you sure you want to do that?" or "keep in mind that this thing exists."

I generally only do this if I think their character might have second thoughts, or if the character might know something that the player isn't aware of.

>As a wizard, you know that this spell creates a large amount of heat and flames. Are you sure you want to cast it on the guy who is holding the Holy Macguffin Scroll?

sometimes I make comments about how their character that has knowledge of the world they live in would not do something really illogical

other times I ask them to roll an int test

>party gets briefed by questgiver
>"ok where do we go now?"
>"damn, I have no idea"
>"ok we start going in a random direction"
>intelligence test, one of them passes
>"you remember that ONE MINUTE ago the guy told you to go to location X"

>Rolling for each person coming out.
You shouldn't. Those people are not hunting for cunts hiding on the fire escape. You would just take 10 + modifiers of NPCs and make the the DC check.

Fucking cunt rolling 20d20s.

>I didn't want the rogue to pick the lock.
>Put one hit killer NPCs in the game.
>A 25 is "difficult".
Just make the lock pic check 30. After the first attempt tell the player that his character understands he wount be able to pick such a lock and that there must be another way.

I clearly suggest them that they're idea might not be very good, how directly I do that depending on how retarded the plan is, how bad its consequences might be and whether the players fully realise its problems and if they still want to go on with it, well, all right, but there will be appropriate consequences.

I honestly prefer to let them know that their idea is retarded and why it might not work beforehand than later have to deal with "REEEEE, why didn't our stupid idea work, shit GM!" arguments

>Now, if you were also making recommendations, then you'd be getting into the railroad business.
I wouldn't say so. Isn't it in the same vein of the party gathering clues for their plan? it doesn't necessarily need to be the obvious "Do this because this is how you succeed" and more like "wouldn't it be better to use the [Plot device] to achieve your goals?"

My approach is to let them do what they like and not try to dissuade them or suggest a different plan, but to just let myself appear skeptical so that the tone of my voice relays to them the fact that there is virtually no chance of success.

I have learned that at least for my group, they don't really seem to care if an idea is good or not, and they don't really seem to mind if they fail, but what they do hate is when they get really excited and convinced something is going to work, and then it fails utterly and instantly because it is the most retarded and irrational fucking idea ever. Which they do a lot. So as long as I make it clear I am not expecting it to work, they tend not to get that invested in expecting it to, and so they aren't that upset when it fails.

It's just one of those things when you GM, an ongoing tension. Players basically are always of the opinion that it would be cool if they could just point their finger at a mountain and say "bang" and have the whole mountain explode. GMs have to constantly tell them, "No, you can't just do that". It's a back and forth, essentially, between what is and what is not reasonable, basically the same as negotiating with a six year old. You get used to it and get better at it over time.

>t. Blatantly doesn't actually DM.

>they're not stupid players, they just have a habit of devising schemes that are way too complicated or reliant on assumptions to ever work.

>Father had then gone on to demolish almost every part of the play, while Draco listened with his eyes growing wider and wider. And Father had finished by saying that plays like this were always unrealistic, because if the playwright had known what someone actually as smart as Light would actually do, the playwright would have tried to take over the world himself instead of just writing plays about it.

>That was when Father had told Draco about the Rule of Three, which was that any plot which required more than three different things to happen would never work in real life.

>Father had further explained that since only a fool would attempt a plot that was as complicated as possible, the real limit was two.

I think he quite literally means a set of sentient railroad ties or an engine.
We the Island of Sodor now boys.

>Do you just let them flounder and hope that teaches them a lesson?
Yes. The flaw will bite them in the ass if they don't roll well enough, or don't improvise well enough to get past it.

For example, the PCs once decided to sneak through an airship by disguising themselves as workmen, while holding a sign.
The dice decided they wanted it to succeed, because I rolled below 5 for every single Sense Motive check they had to face.