Board Game General /bgg/

Previous: Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

OK, anons, what's your biggest pet peeve in games, the thing that will make you dislike a game in spite of any good points?

Is pic related the epitome of modern board games?
>portable
>easy to explain
>yet high complexity
>medium play time
>fun af

Just came back from a gloomhaven 6 hours night, shit was amazing.
I'm just a bit puzzled about modifiers, had too much randomness as if they were dices.

Have not played, it looks interesting, but I got excited about TEQ and that is a pile garbage, so I'm very leery of jumping into another tiny epic

You used the standard deck, not the one in the character box, right? It should be mostly +/- 1 or 0.

Yes, still some cards such as a well-timed 2x or a miss can mean victory or loss of a match, I once dealed 12 hit points to scenario 2's boss in a sole attack, which greatly simplified the run.
I could say the same for monster decks, but I actually like that semi-random generation of attack patterns.

Yeah, that can happen.

I don't remember if it was an actual optional rule in the rulebook (I think it was) or a houserule I read online, but you can treat x2/x0 as +2/-2.

Is Gloomhaven really that good? Thinking of getting Gloomhaven, Merchants and Marauders or a PnP Dune.

You treat them as 0s
Our group switched to that variant about 20 scenarios in.

Gloomhaven is basically a confluence of three things:

A fun, tactical, ability-card-based combat system that encourages flexibility and improvisation as well as planning and teamwork;

An "exhaustion" mechanic that allows you to go all out and screw over your friends while you go pickup loot early in the dungeon, but forces cooperation and careful rationing late in the dungeon, thereby serving as an in-built difficulty and narrative arc to every scenario;

Really expansive legacy mechanics that allow you to play the game for 40 hours and still be seeing new stuff.

That combination is what makes it unique, since any of that stuff can be found elsewhere individually.

I'd also add that the legacy mechanics are mostly additive, not subtractive. Unlocking classes, items, or scenarios, adding upgrades to cards. Only subtracting element is the removal of certain event cards from the road and town encounter decks once the have been resolved, which is a fairly minor aspect of the overall game.

Sure, and for completeness I'd mention that they almost all add breadth rather than depth.

In that case, then the miss card is bullshit as well.
I don't mind modifiers, but not when they can alter that much the outcome of an attack.

Since we're talking about it, can I ask few stuff?
Do I have to draw a travel card when I go from a place to another, or even when it is implied?
For example if after finishing a scenario I have to go back to Gloomhaven to report/collect the reward.

Also, about the deck, if I'm a scoundrel will I always be limited to have a 9-cards deck, or will I be able to increase the number as I level up?
As far as I could see levelling up only lets you put new cards in it, right?
Finally, once I complete my character's goal, am I forced to retire it and pick the one listed on the card?

>Do I have to draw a travel card when I go from a place to another, or even when it is implied?
>For example if after finishing a scenario I have to go back to Gloomhaven to report/collect the reward.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but iirc you don't draw road cards to travel to Gloomhaven, only to head back out.

>Also, about the deck, if I'm a scoundrel will I always be limited to have a 9-cards deck, or will I be able to increase the number as I level up?
You always get 9.

>As far as I could see levelling up only lets you put new cards in it, right?
More accurately, it allows you to add cards to your "pool", from which you build a 9 card hand before every dungeon; yes.

>Finally, once I complete my character's goal, am I forced to retire it and pick the one listed on the card?
You follow the instructions on the card, eg, opening a certain box, but your next character can be any class you want (including the same class if you're a party pooper).

>but your next character can be any class you want (including the same class if you're a party pooper).
In that case I'll lose all the perks got so far and start from the current prosperity level, am I right?
Last question for real: is there a specific order to choose which scenario to choose next?
And when I can choose from, say, two possible directions and I pick one, does the other become unavailable from that moment onwards?
For instance, when I can either investigate about the gloom by myself, or go kill the bandits as requested.

>Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but iirc you don't draw road cards to travel to Gloomhaven, only to head back out.

Correct, the city cards are for Gloomhaven return trips, and are optional.

Not him. Can you go over briefly how the characters work (scoundrel v. party?) without spoiler da game? I'm slated to play sometime and literally all I know is you go places and add stickers.

>In that case I'll lose all the perks got so far and start from the current prosperity level, am I right?
Correct.

>Last question for real: is there a specific order to choose which scenario to choose next?
>And when I can choose from, say, two possible directions and I pick one, does the other become unavailable from that moment onwards?
In some cases yes, in most cases no, only found 3 instances so far where choices locked out the alternate scenario

In that case I suppose a scenario being locked is something that is specified at the end of a certain mission, this means I can continue serving Jekserah and working with the city guard under her back.
I thought such decisions would've had more impact to the story.

I just double checked. Bottom of page 49, 2x becomes +2 and null becomes -2.

>57678950
>In that case I'll lose all the perks got so far and start from the current prosperity level, am I right?
Yeah, but you gain one lifetime perk to all characters you make for every character you've retired.

>And when I can choose from, say, two possible directions and I pick one, does the other become unavailable from that moment onwards?
You can go to any scenario that's unlocked on the map and for which you meet the requirements. For example, a scenario might require you to NOT have completed a certain achievement, which doing another scenario might grant you.

You can do that for a bit, but you'll eventually be forced to make a choice.

Meant for
What do you mean?

>I just double checked. Bottom of page 49, 2x becomes +2 and null becomes -2.
Must be a difference between editions, 1st edition book says 0s

I wasn't listening to a podcast last night and the hosts were talking about the Space Hulk board game and they kept going on and on about how it's a fantastic game. Has anyone here played it? What did you think about it?

*was listening

Fucking speech to text

>I got excited about TEQ and that is a pile garbage
I wouldn't say that it's garbage. The day phase is a neat puzzle that I enjoy solving but the night phase is definitely where it's weakest. I also don't like how there's no finale to the game, it's just over. It's an ok game that I don't regret getting. It was fun painting all the items too

It's an OK 2 player game. Some of the scenarios are extremely difficult for the Marine player, but it fits the background story of the game. Dice based combat, action points, etc.

I don't understand Kingdom Death: Monster. It sounds like something you could convert 1:1 into a video game and it'd work 100x better and be 1/10th the price.

Haven't played the newest edition; but Space Hulk is classic Ameritrash, and I mean that in a good way. Thematically it feels like the Alien movies, the rule set is actually rather light (especially when you compare it to actual miniatures games). It's just competing for objectives, but since it's not a dungeon crawl trying to give an RPG-lite experience you don't really mind that it turns into a race, that's the whole point. It's decently fast, an hour give or take; but some scenarios can take much much longer. Brother plays at Gencon yearly, and they set up 3-4hr scenarios/mini-campaigns. The best thing I can say about the game is the miniatures; this is GW doing something intelligent and making a board game for board gamers, not hobby miniature assembly nuts. Yes they're still dumb and use sprues in an age where we've moved to fully formed models, yes you still have to assemble, but they're simple snap togethers, and it means someone who's new to this can get the game, cut them out and be ready to go in 10 minutes. Personally I'd still spend an afternoon trimming flash and gluing if I ever bought a copy, but then again I'd also paint my minis.

like if there is not a traitor role, what is the scoundrel role, what are the other roles, do you choose? point me to a video or whatever if you like.

They're just classes, like in an RPG. You pick whichever you want of the 6 that start unlocked.

Thanks for the opinions. Do you think it holds up with multiple plays?

Yeah it'll last a while, especially since there's loads of fan-made content for it. I do think it's a good Ameritrash, but we're still not talking a magnum opus of a game; think like 6-7/10 would be accurate if you wanted a numerical rating

Some men just want to hot glue minis.

It just sounds like a cool premise for a game... with paper standees and a companion app.

Rather than $400 of plastic you can only buy when there's a Kickstarter going.

There is no traitor element, other than occasionally having conflicting secondary battle goals.

Scoundrel is a make DPS class

>make
Melee, that is
I'm a filthy phone poster

It happens in MMOs a lot too, which is what I think GH (and Sword and Sorcery) are trying to simulate. Cooldowns, crits etc.

Scoundrel & Tinkerer would be DPS,
Ratboi & Spellweaver are DPS/Support
Cragheart would be Heals
Brute should be Tank

but really, it's more like GW2 in that all classes can do everything, generally, but some are better at it than others.

I'm sure they'll sort out all the bits and pieces to turn it into a really good game with the next couple of expansions.

Yo, what the fuck is up with the rapist class in Gloomhaven? That's fucked up.

The base game is on the shop and the wave 1 expacs will be in a month

What? You don't think your Mom wants to play too?

already perfected

I own both, and while I like Death Angel, there's something to be said for the more visceral experience of laying out the halls and rooms, and laying down the hate with flamer templates and auto-cannon rounds.

so are genestealers like hybrid tyranids that just use human dna as part of their own?

Yes, according to the later Tyranid lore (Post Rogue Trader era).

Genestealers are Tyranids, who facehugger a seed into you that turns you into a hybrid lifeform psychically linked to the brood and obsessed with reproducing, leading to offspring that look increasingly human as generations pass, intermingle increasingly with the human population, and eventually become so many in number that their pyschic gyrations attract a hive fleet, which proceeds to eat them along with the planet.

so the genestealing would work with eldar, tau and orks too?

Not sure on that one.

Just guessing out loud, I'd assume Tau yes, Eldar/Orks no.

Orks, because they're plants and reproduce via spores; Eldar because their innate psychic ability might make the pyschic element impossible (or make the cult stick out like a flare to the uninfected citizens).

What's at the top of your wishlist RIGHT NOW?

Probably seasons or battlecon

a group of friends to play with

Pandemic Legacy, followed by this:

Infinite game tokens. Seriously. Why would you need to print one token per effect that only happens in one particular scenario.
""""""""Scenarios""""""""
Infinite game pieces.
Games where setting everything up takes more time than actually playing it.

Does anyone have the image describing the different 4X games?

>so the genestealing would work with eldar, tau and orks too?

No. They infest humans, and there have been old school minis of Ork-Stealer Hybrids and Chaos Hybrids, but the Stealer cults always end up as a beacon for the Hive Fleets.

WYC to not fuck up and book their venue Easter weekend, and maybe some HobbyZone organizers so I can get my paint and tools all in one spot

Nah, you did fine and will most likely have fun. I probably would have recommended getting Catacombs & Castles first since it’s cheaper and doesn’t require a GM player, but Catacombs 3rd edition is still lots of fun.

>and use sprues in an age where we've moved to fully formed models
That's how you get models which don't look like melted ass, dude.

How many boxes is too many for a single game?

How many boxes do you have there?

For Rising Sun? One.

Hey guys, always been a fan of boardgames and now that I have a steady income I'd like to actually own some.

What would you suggest for 4 to 6 players (occasionally up 8, but let's not aim for that), not too complex (need to introduce new people) neither entry level (say, not Catan).

Playtime can be any anything from short to long-but-not-eternal.

I'm reading reviews but there's just so much, I liked Terra Mystica and Eldritch Horror.

Any idea what sort of genre or style you want? What sort of entry level games did you like (or what elements of them did you like?)

I've got TEKingdoms and it's great fun

Along with the extra large play mat?

I know that it isn't much help, but I'm open to anything.
I guess we can exclude deckbuilders, though.
And I'd avoid games where you go "I open the door move three squares and attack" unless they are REALLY good.

It really depends what you’re into, but I always recommend Dominion to everyone.

>I guess we can exclude deckbuilders, though

Never mind....

I'm sorry man.
What makes it good? You can try and win me over, my defenses are pretty weak.

How important is hitting that 6 to you? because that limits games a lot.

I can live with 5.

It’s pretty much considered to be the pinnacle of deck building games. Turns are quick and easy (some of the later expansions ruin this theme), but the game still takes a fair bit of strategy and planning.

If sitting around taking turns adding cards to your deck doesn’t sound fun, I wouldn’t recommend it desu

My new recommendation? Betrayal At House On The Hill

Speaking of recommendations: Dead of Winter, or Archipelago?

I like the cooperative-competitive angle, and both of those look like fun. I'll probably grab the loser eventually. Subsequently, which expansions/versions of each is worth grabbing?

>It’s pretty much considered to be the pinnacle of deck building games.
It's the foundation. The pinnacle is a trinity of Mage Knight, Valley of the Kings, or Tanto Cuore, depending on how you prefer acquiring cards.

I'll check out some videos on Dominion and see how it plays out then, I wouldn't want to miss on something solely due to a preconception.

I had heard some talk about Betrayal At House On The Hill, and now that you mentioned it I'm reading a bit more and it seems really interesting. Thanks you!

Dead of Winter sucks, just a meme game. Archipelago is actually a decently designed experience.

If you like heavy games like terra mystica check out Great Zimbabwe

Alright then. Going over 4 can be rough, but at the same time, narrows it down!

Betrayal at house on the hill is a game that makes a LOT of people here screech. You need to be in the right mood for it; it's not a balanced competitive or even challenging cooperative experience, it's a horror movie simulator where you will wander about, experiencing creepy shit, until finally the horror is revealed.

If you're at all interested in Dominion based on what that other user said and can overlood or like the theme, Tanto Cuore is basically Dominion with some small quality-of-life improvements that, in my opinion, make a huge positive difference.

I'd actually recommend Twilight Imperium. It's fairly complex and has a longish setup, but it really is a great game when you're talking afternoon-scale

Eldritch Horror sounds more your speed than Arkham. Personally, I prefer Arkham but they're fairly similar. If you're feeling a co-op though, and if you can find it, consider Yggdrasil. I'm not going to say 'instead' because they're not very similar, that was just a bad segue. but Yggdrasil is a very good game, and it goes up to a high player count.

Dead of Winter gets a lot of praise, but I’ve never been crazy about it. The whole game feels like such a grind, add that some people will be uncooperative due to their personal objective, then when you finally get to the finish line all it takes is one person to go traitor, which you can’t stop at all, and everyone else loses.

Archipelago on the other hand is a fun island adventure. Protip: play with the monkey island soundtracks in the background for maximum island fun immersion.

Thank you guys, you've been great help!

I have a lot of stuff to check out now, I'll come back to you with my investments and -hopefully- some storytime

>/bgg/ recommending betrayal
What

Eurogamers are asleep, post fun.

Fair warning on Eldritch, I love the game to bits but you'll want to be familiar with the rules before having it hit the table. It's a surprisingly good game to get random new people into, but that's contingent on the veteran player handling all the mythos cards interactions. When a new player only has to worry about their character its very accessible, but the game will come to a disastrous halt if nobody knows how the Mythos Phase plays out.

Did not even think to paint the items as they were possibly my least favorite aspect of the game with their fiddliness random availability and limited usefulness as there are so few rounds in the game and you won't get one until second round at best and more likely third. Also I thought the puzzliness of day phase fell really flat again because the limited amount of movement so it's pretty much how do I get to a goblin square, a temple square and a spell square every turn, to me the night phase rolling dice was the only real enjoyable part

Shame. Are there any games that are similar but do a better job?

That is kind of counterintuitive to the entire appeal of their brand

>recommending both Dominion and BaHotH
You disgust me.

Archipelago, it’s defintely the better game.

This is correct.

>I'm reading reviews but there's just so much, I liked Terra Mystica and Eldritch Horror.
You couldn't have picked more different games. Being printed on a piece of cardboard is pretty much the only thing they have in common.

I felt that the limited amount of movement added to the puzzliness, but that's just my opinion.

>to me the night phase rolling dice was the only real enjoyable part
I love rolling dice too but I just wish there was more to exploring temples and the magic track. I would have liked if there was some desision making exploring the temples or something you had to do aside from rolling the right symbol. And if a game allows me to learn magic, I want to be able to cast spells and use that magic to influence the game.

Granted, those are just my opinions but I enjoy finding people who have different opinions than me.

Painting the items was fun for me. I do feel like some of them aren't as good as others but it was enjoyable for me. I'm new to painting so they may not be the best job ever, I'm still satisfied with them.

Battlestar Galactica

Isn't that just good guys vs secret bad guys?

Correct me if that's mistaken, but it's the "everyone working together but also against everyone else" at the same time that I like, not the hidden loyalty element per-se. I'm pretty set on Archipelago given the opinions presented, but it'd still be nice to have a plan B.

I'm looking for a new game to buy to make use of a 20 euro bonus ticket which is about to expire, my current budget, ticket excluded, is no more than 40 euro, preferably more towards 30.
I don't have a set genre in mind and deciding a title is turning out to be quite meddlesome, so I'm up for whatever suggestion.

I think you don't really understand how DoW plays out. It does not ever actually play out like "everyone on a team but also against each other." It always plays out like BSG because, despite its intent, it is a poorly designed game that is won or lost based on the cards the traitor draws.

in DoW the key is that there might -- only might -- be a traitor. The game also includes a pure co-op variant that is, itself, a half decent co-op with a neat-but-not-as-groundbreaking-as-it-was-made-out-to-be system in the form of the crossroads.

I can't think of one way in which the co op system in DoW could be described as "good"

You get a character. Based on that character you basically sit in one location all game rolling dice. Maybe you roll bad enough that you die. Rinse and repeat. Maybe you draw the right cards to accomplish your objective, maybe you don't, but it's not up to anything but the luck of the draw. If that sounds like fun to you just play Uno, it's faster and cheaper.

I'm trying to be a contrarian shit but I'm coming up blank.

Saw Starcraft and the xpac for AUD$250 at a second hand stall on the weekend. Wasn't sure if I wanted it but decided I did and came back and it was gone.

You snooze you lose I guess.

Watching some video tutorials, I’m starting to see why Gloomhaven is being hyped so much. The combat sounds very cleverly designed and strategically demanding and the way the story progresses sounds very enticing. It sounds like a video game that has been optimised for the tabletop. I’m excited to jump into my friends game as he’s just acquired his copy from the second wave.

How is single player? I might want to pick a copy up for meself. I’ve spent ~160 on premium editions of 100hour rpg video games when I was a more foolish youth, and this sort of experience sounds comparable to that.