EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous thread RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
Brewing anything from Rivals?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SGT6R8P_rl4
deckstats.net/deck-15075727-4119721442c07d31b4fa5246feaf460b.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I need monoblue wincons.

Kozilek is a big stupid bitch and lost me a game. I'm taking him out, and I need something new. Right now my only real wincons are bouncing everyone's everything forever with deadeye, venser, and peregrine drake, tutoring up blightsteel/jin gitaxias, and grinding out a super grindy victory through attrition. What are ways to reliably mindslaver lock a table?

>I need monoblue wincons.
this card was a MISTAKE.

(for reference, combo it with Beacon of Tomorrows)

>12 mana
>4 blue pips
Oh god it's so bad, but it's so good. I need to take Kozilek out of my deck, but that bitch pretty much says "Hey man, keep Kozilek around so you can discard your hand into your library and have any 7 cards you want, because there's no way in fuck you're going to have enough mana to combo off with that shit. It's the same amount of mana as blightsteel."

Thanks user, any suggestions a little more efficient?

>He hardcasts spells
pic

but also
>Thanks user, any suggestions a little more efficient?
Sphinx of the Final Word ends up being a hard wincon quite frequently.

Clearly you need to be running its best friend

No, Lab Man was a mistake. ETI is silly, but at least it's non-trivial

>Brewing anything from Rivals?
Kumena. I was going to have to drink the Simic Kool-Aid sooner or later, might as well do it with a commander who has an actual theme rather than Kruphix Ramp Goodstuff.

Yes, yes I do actually. I have an extremely efficient ramp package, and I just stax the shit out of people until I can hardcast some giant fuck off beaters. Static orb is a real bitch to fight through when someone has blightsteel out.

>Sphinx of the Final Word
Bretty gud user. Not really a wincon but definitely not bad.

Now user, gatekeeper of janky tech, how the fuck do I get both out at the same time. The key word is reliably.

>Not really a wincon
>Uncounterable 5/5 flying with Hexproof
it's a wincon. Hitting face wins games.

The bonus is that it makes your OTHER wincons uncounterable.

>how the fuck do I get both out at the same time.
>Cast Omniscience
>Cast ETI for free.
:O

>Now user, gatekeeper of janky tech, how the fuck do I get both out at the same time. The key word is reliably.
Narset. You can set up with Enlightened Tutor and Long-Term Plans plus using extra turns and combats to get more hits. Barring that, Show And Tell the Omni (Obtain with tutors if necessary, though color can be an issue there) and start chaining lesser draws or spell-tutor for ETI.

>having both cards in your hand at the same time
>in monoblue
I mean, mystical tutor is a thing, but this seems awfully magical christmasland. Jin-Gitaxias is much simplier.

And I think you sold me on the sphinx. It can still get bounced, and wraths are a thing, but I run a powerful monoblack deck and 5/5 beaters are nothing to sneeze at.

Seems a little too janky for me user. Thank you very much. If I was going to add colours to my deck, I'd just splash black for Oona and tutor all the infinite mana combos I possibly can.

>thread question
There's nothing that tickles my EDH jangles in rivals.

Im only brewing a Path of Mettle for standard and them in sitting on it until dominaria, boring set is boring.

Well.... dino enrage triggers can get pretty oppressive.

>No, Lab Man was a mistake. ETI is silly, but at least it's non-trivial
This. I feel so excited playing ETI, like a smoother, "cleaner" version of going batshit with Necropotence, having to figure out the way not to deck yourself and drooling over the opportunities... hey, what's that? You have a Labman in your deck? You won already.

More people should know about their third best friend. Also, you can Mizzix Mastery without overload after discarding that if you add red

>Narset
user, please no, this shit took all the joy of casting noncreature spells and turned into molestation

forgot pic

Is dat sum Volrath?

Most definitely. The set is Stronghold, what do you expect

who's your commander, and are you willing to swap it for memnarch?

>Hitting face wins games.

Why does no one believe this in commabder? It seems like everyone only wants to win with muh infinites so that after a long game of faffing about someone just wins in a way completely unrelated to anything else that happened earlier that game.

It's Venser, some user posted about it the other day, and holy fuck is he awesome.

I'm iffy on running memnarch because two players sideboarded in Kill Switch due to how many artifacts I run, but I could be persuaded because I have an FTV: Lore foil.

with memnarch you can actually just gain control of kill switch for 4 mana and carry on business as usual

he's a /little/ grindy, but once you start taking everyone's mana they're essentially locked out of the game while you ramp even harder.

your wincon can be someone else's wincon, a blightsteel, the kozilek you wanted to take out, or anything else, really. hell, memnarch is a 4/5 himself, just whack someone to death with him.

>someone just wins in a way completely unrelated to anything else that happened earlier that game.
EDH with a "No infinite combos" house rule is infinitely better than without, and this is exactly why.

what about "infinite" combos that have a finite end point? or what if they're ridiculous jank?

>"infinite" combos that have a finite end point?
You are a very stupid person.

So just do a "finite" combo that does just enough damage to kill everyone, like most that involve drawing your entire deck

Just to play Devil's Advocate:

>venser has flash, and can remove anything, including lands
>really, I'll only get to do this exactly once, because there's no incentive to kill him since I can just recast him
>he's a wincon with Panharmonicon or Deadeye, using him with the drake is as hard of a lock as you're ever going to get in magic
>memnarch is 7 mana

nice

what if someone plays a consecrated sphinx and someone else clones it? should those people not be allowed to draw their decks?

Yes, finite is literally the definition of not infinite... you figured it out... good job.

I just don't see how that is more fun for everyone else.

>The first time you discard Draco to one-shot someone who has gained "infinite life"

>You are not allowed to construct your deck with infinite combos
>But what is SOMEONE ELSE constructs a deck that goes infinite with YOUR deck!?

Objectively wrong.

Then you get me staxing the shit out of everyone, dragging the game to a slog, and pinging everyone to death with a 1/1 unblockable.

it's not, without infinites the stax players will eat the table alive

>staxing

>stax

Does anybody in this thread actually play EDH how it is intended? You know, for fun?

big dumb timmy combat step decks aren't the only way to have fun mate

Playing magic is fun.

Playing "for fun" is not fun because fun is relative. Stax is such a large archetype it's impossible to regulate. Gravepact Meren is stax, and by extension so is butcher of malikar. Same with blood moon and magus of the moon. Technically tax is stax.

In moderation, Stax both advances your wincon and helps keep games fun. Because while "Everyone else is locked on zero permanents, forever" is not fun, neither are four full boards of Craw Wurms glowering at each other unable to overcome the natural disadvantage of being the first to make a move.

Granted, that's not what & were talking about, as they were pointing out that cheap infinites are the natural predator that keeps hardcore Stax in line, so if you prune the infinites Stax remains unopposed (counterpoint: Prune Stax, and the infinites go fucking ape, the two fuck each other up)

However, the point remains that Symmetrically Destructive ("Stax") effects are a cornerstone of fun magic, since breaking their parity is one of the best ways to generate advantage in a multiplayer scenario where you can't afford to trade one-for-one.

you never said anything about deck construction, just called it a "no infinite combos house rule"

He's walking on the fucking planeswalker symbol ffs wizards

This guy gets it. You're a cool user.

How do you guys make your lists?

I want to "post'em" but I want it to look nice, and was wondering if anyone has a template or something. Maybe there's a website I can use?

Tappedout.

I resisted using it for the longest time, because I didn't want to make a fucking account, but it really is nice to work with. I can make lists, get at-a-glance stats, and even pull up a test mode, which is pretty great.

Oh, you kind kind soul, I already use tappedout.

I meant for those lists where you post what decks you run, and provide a little bit of description for attentionwhoring purposes.

Oh. I just go to magiccards.info, "copy image" the commander, paste it into paint, and write a few words below. Repeat until all commanders are accounted for.

for like 4 years now every EDH deck i've ever played was monored, but now i'm looking to branch out into other colors. are there any good decks that capture the swingy randomness of red? tariel and maelstrom wanderer caught my attention so far.

A lot of R/X options. I'd recommend Wort or maybe mizzix.

Oh oh, I'm Maelstrom user.

Do you have any questions? Make sure you listen to this song while playing it.

>youtube.com/watch?v=SGT6R8P_rl4

Posting my queen deck again.. It feels complete but i'm not sure, maybe I should just build WB token control (if that's even a thing).
Any ideas?

deckstats.net/deck-15075727-4119721442c07d31b4fa5246feaf460b.html

Vial smasher, add a partner for blue.

>Brewing anything from Rivals?
This one
so far its been a ton of fun, not super fast but pretty good at making a boardstate while holding up removal

What kind of value does she generate per game?
First she needs to be big and then she needs to go to the grave.

whats hard about that?

How do you go about getting into a new playgroup without just becoming arch enemy? When i started with these guys i held back quite a bit to make sure they got to do all their cool stuff even if i didnt win but its to the point where i’m playing unedited precons and still stomping. since they only have the new precons i figured using precons myself would keep it pretty fair but it still feels like i’m either slamming my dick on the table or i’m intentionally playing poorly so i dont win and it’s just not fun for me.

unless you're reanimating her it's a sort of one-off thing, if she dies and someone wraths you better hope to god you draw a reanimation spell or the crux of your deck is done for

Any of the three Altars will fix that right up for you

In fact, is there a break point where she goes infinite with Ashnod's+Phyrexian?

Play archenemy. It's super fun.

Build something so good it requires a monumental effort for all 3 players to beat you. The trick is being really really good, but not unbeatable and quick about it.

she has to go to the graveyard. she won't trigger if you send her to the command zone.

The planeswalker symbol manifests in some fashion every time someone planeswalks. That's why its the planeswalker symbol you knob.

>Phyrexian
needs this and some way to gain life?
def easier with nin death mantel

Phyrexian Altar is one of the best cards in the format.

That is Phyrexian Reclamation.

>every time someone planeswalks
yeah but it needs both cause she needs to go to the yard

>and some way to gain life?
Given the tokens she's going to be exploding with, and the fact she's in 2/3 relevant colors, I'd say Soul Sisters.

explain?

>Opponent gets infinite life through some sort of combo
>On your turn, attack with Volrath.
>If it goes unblocked activate his ability.
>Discard Draco as part of the coast
>deal 22 commander damage
>Win

>this user doesn't know who volrath is, what he does, or why he blows people out
Draco is 16 mana. Volrath has 6 power. You pitch draco, Volrath has 22 power, and you completely nuke exactly one player.

Free tech here

Nvm

Just build an Arcanis deck, that can win through commander damage. No-one expects that, and it works quite well. Pemmin's Aura + Empyreal Plate + Counter spells = Win

>Demon+Elenda, Both Altars
>Sac 3 fodder, Elenda is 4/4, you have 3 Energy and 4B floating
>Sac Elenda, you have 4 Energy and 6B floating, along with 4 vamps
>Activate DoDS, you now have Demon, Elenda, 4 Vamps, and 4 Floating
>Each cycle gets more vamps and more mana, for which you can exchange 2 colorless for 1 of any color freely

If I'm doing my math right, you could also use Gemstone Array instead of Phyrexian. You could also skip Ashnod's. If you have both altars you only need 1 starting fodder if you can cover the energy deficit before you start breaking even.

>Pemmin's Aura
>blocks your path

>Pemmin's Aura
>flying
shiiiieeet

didnt realize this was with volrath.
and im new

That is why you have Pongify, counterspells and all that stuff to protect your flying impotent wizard.

>deadly recluse
needs first strike and flash

>burning a counterspell on my deadly recluse
oh do please

Just remember that demon shrinks elenda as well

U/G goodstuff is good for this

If you have a list, then for the love of God share

That's a good catch

Only when it ETBs, and only if Elenda is already out. IF you play demon, Elenda you'll be fine and probably have starting energy. Playing the other way around makes the first loop harder... Unless of course you're running the shit out of Torpor Orb. All your triggers so far are death, not ETB, so it'll fuck other people while leaving your combo unmolested.

Tokens equal to power not counters

Karlov or Kambal for Orzhov?

>bought into Pauper EDH hype
>whole fully-tricked out Enigma Drake deck was only $35
>half of that was just Rhystic study + some of the more expensive cantrips, any non-blue deck would probably total $20
>sweet foil of the commander was only $1.50
>mfw
God, I hope this catches on more in my group, this is so awesome.

exactly why it would make the first loop harder: you'll get fewer tokens back.

After you sac Elenda once she'll have a newer timestamp than the -2/-2 to board and will be operating at 100%.

Get it to the table a few times before celebrating. Pauper is a GREAT feeling when you're building...

soo pauper is great for deck building but not as fun for playing?

I guess karlov, kambal is just a boring tax

>playing broken cards that just so happened to be printed at common
>not playing awful cards that were printed at rare
you dont understand le sprit of the floormat

It tends to stall out or lock up really easily because there aren't a lot of answers to the "Log Jam" board state at common. The one time I tried to into Pauper Commander I ran Havoc Demon, and when I went full Kamikaze was pretty much the only time shit got done.

you got a list I want to see how practical this format is

I haven't put it online, I'll see if I have time to put it on tappedout later tonight.

I was actually wanting to build tasigur maybe i’ll try and do that. I was just worried that the group would fall apart if the decks i wanted to play were high power level and they dont seem to want to put more stuff into their deck.

I want to build a non-traditional control deck, what are some spicy cards?

isn't karlov pretty stax-y and control-y as well?

its orzhov

Yes, but if you're playing a "boring" reactive deck you at least want your most played card, the commander, to be interesting.

I've only seen Karlov played by one guy so far, and he plays him Voltron-y.