Building a City

I am working on fleshing out a city for an upcoming campaign, and in an effort to provide more interesting background characters, I am reaching out to you people.

Basically every reply in this thread that provides a character idea will be implemented into my game. Name, race, class, concept, ideals, whatever the shit.

The first one of these I did (on Friday) was very helpful; i was able to add many NPCs, businesses, and other aspects to the city. I probably only wholly ignored 3 posts, one of which was copypasta mems.

need context for this, faggot

Why?

assuming a generic fantasy late medieval/early renaissance city?

You can assume anything you'd like.

Lorkar No-clan, half blind orc soothsayer with a simple stand in an alley near the market. Even the oldest residents remember Lorkar being in that alley since forever. The local thugs tend to ignore him since taking his money brings bad luck to everyone involved. In reality Lorkar was a respect shaman and seer among the orc clans until misinterpreting a vision let to disaster for his own clan and self imposed exile for himself.

aberdeen pinwheel
amputee centaur drug pusher
a bit of a flirt

Bob Bobnovich the hacker.
He has a robot cat as a pet, but basically do hacker things all day, and really into french comics

rick santorum, spaceship pilot
hates his life

The ghost of an entire ancient city lives below the sewers

not, like, a bunch of individual ghosts comprising a city - an singular ghostlike entity, representing an anthropomorphized city, which creeps around and can be talked to.

He was really more of a small town, but he's a bit of a megalomaniac and it's been a long time. He'll lead the players anywhere, but will never shut up about what used to be there (the city hall? Oh, you mean my old horse factory. This all used to be mechanical farmland, you know...). He burned down about 900 years ago.

Corwyn Treeleaf. Halfling activist for better working conditions of seamstresses and bard wannabes. Wears a red bow-tie and white and red checkered shirt, beige working pants with suspenders, huge glasses, no shoes. Married to a half-elf known as Regina Deliciousness Sunrise. Collects Orcish bone figurines and wants to make an exhibition, so he can use the proceeds to ensure his wife's half-drow son's enlistment in the Mage's Guild. Hates Orcslayers and Lawful Stupid Paladins. Dabbles in the occult, but only to understand different cultures. Cheese sandwich connaisseur. He thinks he is not man enough for Regina, and sometimes sleeps in the shed.

Love it.

There genuinely is an illegal drug trade already and it definitely needed more players.

I can use an iteration of this, definitely.

I am definitely using this, though not directly beneath the city.

Consider your fetish realized.

Name: Jane Gardener
Race: Human
Class: Farmer Druid Cultist
Concept: A seemingly humble older lady (about mid 30's, let's say), she goes about her day-to-day providing food for the town. What people don't know is that her farmlands are kept so fertile and are so quick to grow because of extensive training in nature magic, the grace of the dark gods, and human sacrifice. A good source of knowledge of the dark arts, if you could convince her to share.
Ideals: She's just really interested in forbidden/taboo magics and wants her farm to be fruitful. Not actively malevolent, and is usually fairly kind even when you discover her studies and activities.
I might throw in another idea just for shits and giggles.

care to share some of what you have so far? I was in the last thread

Rick the Dick, Human Rogue/Bard, A.K.A. The Missionary of unsolicited Love, A.K.A. The Todger, A.K.A Big Love. Proud spreader of 4 common venereal diseases, and 2 exotic ones. Known by both rich and poor for his unexpected entrances and daring escapes. No one knows his age or origin, it is only known about him that he is partial to elderberries, and often smells like them. He is depicted in many crude depictions, mainly perused by the lower classes, as a dashing highwayman, who robs maidens and elves of many things. His victims speak of his penetrating stare, vigorous demeanor and unforgiving nature. Some say he is the mysterious stranger, who the Thieve's Guild put a bounty on, after 2 of their operatives were ambushed during a burglary, which ended in a huge cock-up.

Chumwalt Beer Company

A business consisting of one factory and several warehouse outlets, featuring the mascot Oscar Chumwalt, a caricature of a tough sailor.

There are no employees (besides a handful of confused salesmen and distributors who've never met any of their co-workers). The entire thing is secretly captained by a sentient AI, Oscar Chumwalt himself, who has gone off the rails. He personally operates every robotic arm and self-driving truck that the factory owns, and has been bottling and selling his product for decades.

Recently, the beer has taken on a disgusting flavor, though it keeps getting delivered to bars, stores, and restaurants. Health inspectors sent to the facilities haven't come back.

College of Art Magic.

Students there learn how to use paintings, sculptures, music, and even literature in conjunction with magic. This can take on many forms; paint summoning, mana painting, songs of healing, fertility, and pest control; and the finest golems you'll ever lay eyes on.

Greta the washing girl. A former Dwarven Alchemist, now turned businesswoman after her husband died. She has found a way to summon magic beans, which only need to be put in a washing basin with some dirty clothes and water, and after a while the clothes are as clean as new. Her business is prosperous, but lately she has had to deal with bad advertising. Lately rebellious youths have taken up the habit of eating the beans, which has resulted in horrible mutations, headaches, diarrhea, some fatalities and an unquenchable lust for sunflower seeds.

Olaf the Barbarian. A barbarian turned fine dining critic. He can barely make coherent reviews, but his approval is sought by the best chefs of the city. His love of rare meats granted him, at first, unnatural strength, but with time adventuring slowed down and gaining weight became his primary hobby. Now he is a mound of blubber and has lost interest in virgins, dragons and magic swords. Now he is known as the master of fork and spoon. Eats with his hands.

A street vendor selling albatrosses.

Theowald Baden

One of the city guards, he can turn a blind eye for most petty crimes with a promise of ale after his shift. But if he gets serious he can be like a raging bull when attempting to apprahend a lawbreaker

Lina Vedéna; Daughter to one of the farmers outside of the city, she has been offered a hand in marrige by the son of a passing merchant in exchage for 2 cows, a bag of grains, and 6 chickens

Rudolf, a stray dog. Everyone loves him. Has one black and one white ear. Looks a bit like a jack russell, but is obviously a mutt. It is considered good luck if he comes begging for food, and if you don't give him any it is said you would have a very bad week. The city found itself in a very unpleasant position when Rudolf humped the leg of a diplomat's daughter in the town square, word was that Rudolf was to be killed or banished, but by the time the accident happened the mayor of the city had also come to know Rudolf, so he paid the daugher's weight in silver as a recompense and the lucky dog was spared.