Anyone here into /asian boardgames/ ?

anyone here into /asian boardgames/ ?

go / igo / baduk / weiqi?
scribble chess? (shogi)
elephant chess? (xiangqi)
korean elephant chess? (janggi)

share a story, tell us what you tried and how you liked it.

chess players also welcome! tell us why you havent tried anime boardgames yet

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QbQfvnyvr78
reddit.com/r/shogi/comments/5potfz/best_way_for_a_westerner_to_learn/
shogi.cz/en/rules
nekomado.com/data/dobutsushogi_rule/es.pdf
shogi.cz/manual/goroEN.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minishogi
nekomado.com/data/dobutsushogi_rule/en.pdf
gamedesign.jp/flash/shogi/shogi_e.html
tsumego.tasuki.org/
gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html
arcturus.su/wiki/Main_Page
tenhou.net/0/
arcturus.su/tenhou/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Gary Gygax was a big fan of shogi. He did his best to popularize it among wargamers in the 60s and 70s.

I've always suspected shogi would be instantly popular if it used figures as pieces (like chess) instead of labeled tokens. Has someone tried that?

I haven't tried anime boardgames because i don't have autism

probably idk, google it

>shogi would be instantly popular if it used figures as pieces
I somewhat agree, it would definitely *much* more known outside japan / asia if it didnt use stupid kanji.
but it would probably still niche. just look at go, it's about as international as it can be, but it's still dwarfed by chess in the west.

>Has someone tried that?
well there is dobutsu shogi, but it's mostly targeted at kids. if you want to play online, you can use 81dojo (it has an international set) or playok (nice chess-style set, but not many players)
there are also printout sets on the internet.
but yeah, ultimately you have to learn the kanji.
I remember reading a quote somewhere along the lines of
>if the japanese tried to design a piece-set specifically targeted at scaring-away westerners from learning the game, they couldnt have done a better job
sad but true

>I haven't tried anime boardgames because i don't have autism

>i don't have autism
>i post on Veeky Forums
checks out. but seriously, maybe watch Hikaru no Go as a gateway anime and try some go, I bet there's a club in your area.
youtube.com/watch?v=QbQfvnyvr78

>figures as pieces (like chess) instead of labeled tokens
just an fyi, it makes sense using labeled (colorless) tokens instead of colored figures since
1. most pieces promote (you can do that by simply flipping a token, it wouldnt be easy to do with figures)
2. captured pieces become part of your army and can be dropped anywhere. so if pieces were colored, you'd need two piecesets (because enemy pieces switch color upon capturing)

so labeled colorless tokens are a good idea, but the labels should be sensible symbols that are easy to remember / distinguish even if you havent learned chinese characters in school for several years

There's a popular chess variant called Crazyhouse which is played with Shogi style piece capturing/placement. Even more popular variant called Bughouse played 2v2, with pieces being passed to your partner when captured.

bump

I-is mahjong allowed?
Also I'm interessed in learning shogi because of the loli shogi anime currently airing, any good place for that?

>I-is mahjong allowed?
sure! I gather it's very popular in China.

>interessed in learning shogi, any good place for that
see for example
reddit.com/r/shogi/comments/5potfz/best_way_for_a_westerner_to_learn/
I think the having-someone-to-play-with part is very important. maybe there's a shogi group meeting near you.
if you just want to learn the rules, see for example shogi.cz/en/rules
for playing online I'd recommend playok and 81dojo

if you want to play with a friend who's also a complete beginner, I'd recommend starting with smaller variants: (in that order)
dobutsu shogi (see nekomado.com/data/dobutsushogi_rule/es.pdf ) -- very easy and quick, so you learn the basics fast
goro goro shogi ( see shogi.cz/manual/goroEN.pdf ) -- already MUCH harder and uses "real" shogi pieces. awesome for learning the generals and pawn-promotion tactics
mini shogi (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minishogi ) -- introduces rook and bishop, very tactical and great fun
shogi

I'll also dump some printout-templates so you can create your own piecesets. print out twice, cut the pieces out and glue them on corrugated cardboard or similar.
this first one is good for learning the kanji

this one I made for my mother who's teaches at elementary school

>nekomado.com/data/dobutsushogi_rule/es.pdf
* nekomado.com/data/dobutsushogi_rule/en.pdf for english rules, of course

this one is aimed at chess players

... so, in conclusion, take my advice or leave it, I just hope you'll have fun learning some shogi!

>I've always suspected shogi would be instantly popular if it used figures as pieces (like chess) instead of labeled tokens.

I doubt that. It would just end up as "another weird notChess", and there's thousands of those.

I've always wanted to be decent at go but I've always been shit at it. Anyone have any advice for someone who wants to improve?

Play lots, don't be afraid of human opponents and bigger boards. Study lots, read guides and solve tsumego. Get used to failure, lose your scrub mentality, join a go club.

I too have suddenly found myself interested in /asian boardgames/ user. No clue why whatsoever... I wonder what may have driven me to be so drawn to them recently?

A little late but thanks!

Doesn't work so well because they have to be able to switch between two "modes" and the easiest way to do that is double-sided tokens.

I've always thought the best answer was the tileset used in gamedesign.jp/flash/shogi/shogi_e.html but I've never seen it IRL, which seems a shame.

Played some shogi against the computer. I like 9x9 Go well enough and that actually gets played around here.thanks to Yasuda Yasutoshi's system of teaching via 'First Capture Go, Three Captures Go, Solve Ties via Counting Spaces, Play Go for Real."

Honestly, I wish *any* board game that isn't MtG draft was more popular around here.

Hikari no Go was the shit on Toonami Jetstream

tsume-go, tsume-go, and then some.. you guessed it? tsume-go!

there's a "go education collection" torrent somewhere with loads of tsume-go and korean tesuji books.

in particular, if you havent done so, I recommend working through "Graded Go Problems for Beginners". it's 4 volumes, starts with "capture the stone in atari" problems and ends with dan-level tsume-go (dont let the recommended ranks on the books fool you, it has quite a steep learning curve)

other than that, play people IRL, go to tournaments, play online blitz. play through pro-games if it makes you happy. Anything you enjoy will likely help you improve if you're a beginner still

>there's a "go education collection" torrent somewhere with loads of tsume-go and korean tesuji books.
Hm, I just checked and maybe Im wrong.
the korean tesuji books I was thinking of are yi changho's tesuji (6 volumes) and yi changho's life-and-death (also 6 volumes)
they get more difficult as you go along, but the first volumes should even be helpful for double-digit-kyus

anyway, here are some tsumego
tsumego.tasuki.org/
the cho-elementary are suitable for beginners learning about life-and-death.

also, if you're already approaching single-digit-kyu, check out gokyo-shumyo. it has some easier problems sprinkled in (but some problems are also high-dan level,so you really have to skip lots and cherry pick the easy ones)
particularly the "damezumari" section is very easy IMHO
(the lines to calculate are very forced)

>the "damezumari" section
actually they call it "oiotoshi" (I think that means connect-and-die)

bump

agreed, smaller boards are great to teach beginners. glad you like go! where do you live?

>Played some shogi against the computer
I understand that, playing online you just get slaughtered as a complete beginner, that's why it's best to start by going to a shogi-meetup and learn the game by playing high-handicap games against stronger players.

if there are no shogi-players, maybe ask in your go club. I had success getting some people in the go (as well as chess) club to enjoy some mini shogi.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minishogi

just use a pieceset which is immidiately intuitive, like
or
maybe even leave out piece promotion rules. With chess players I only use pawn promotion, because they're used to that. then the only thing new to them are the generals and the drop rule

Why the fuck would I watch anime?

A lot of sport/board game use anime as a gateway to gather more players. Slam Dunk is a pretty good example of this.
As far as board games go:
Go had Hikaru no Go.
Mahjong had Saki, Akagi and The Legend of Koizumi (of super aryan fame).
Shogi has 3-gatsu no Lion and Ryuuou no Oshigoto!. Both are airing this season and ironically, the one with loli is more focused on shogi than the other.

>sure! I gather it's very popular in China
Riichi > trash > 3Man > HKMG

There's usually always a thread for Mahjong on /jp/ though I would love it if threads also started on Veeky Forums and we got a large group going.

Basics;
use gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

and

arcturus.su/wiki/Main_Page

to learn what you're doing. When you know a couple things and want to play against other people, go to tenhou.net/0/ . Don't know what you're doing? Read arcturus.su/tenhou/ to figure out.