GM a game

>GM a game
>Spend a lot of time making NPC backstories, personalities, abilities, and looks
>Players don't care about any of them
>Make up an NPC on the fly like a flying sword that wants to be an artist but keeps chopping up the canvases by accident
>They love it and want more of it in the campaign
I just don't know.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/55121110/#55121110
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

From what i observe, players like when they impact other NPCs lives.

Many DMs do that mistake. They create a bunch of NPCs, but nothing that the player does is ever relevant to them. You don't remember the 'cool npc' info-dumping the party, but you remember that one merchant that saw you stealing and tried to run after you with a butcher knife.

And for the love of God.. do NOT make your NPCs interact with one another. Use the players as much as you can. The story is about them. You can do the coolest and deepest NPC ever. If he doesn't give a shit about the party, the party won't give a shit about them.

>DMing for children

>DMing for Americans

This is what you get for DM'ing for elves. Put them all in concentration camps.

Your NPC's were probably boring and realistic, with a lot of exposition that nobody wants to listen to during a game. The flying sword sounds cool and literally takes one line to describe comprehensively. Take a hint from that. You can always take the characters your players liked and expand them later.

Well, go on Roleplaying alone with your NPCs while your players get bored.

Just don't shit on them when they start to randomly kill your NPCs.

>playing with Americans

>This situation is not about me???? Better murdur everyone in the room.

God, even leafs are above this

He's right though. The PCs aren't the most important people in the setting, but they are the protagonists of the story. The 'camera' needs to stay on them.

OBSESSED

Playing dnd is about... wish fulfilment

Whatever you say senpai.

>The flying sword sounds cool and literally takes one line to describe
dude! flying sword wants to be an artist ! but, wait for it, it's still sharp and cuts all the canvases up OMG so kewl XDXDDXdxd13gRWH

I would rather have that than the GM's pet sorceress NPC/waifu show up, recite her eight page backstory which is all basic bitch YA hero's journey crap, then tell me she's the main character now and I must help her reclaim her throne.

Players are generally more interested in their own characters than your magical realm, sorry to tell you that.

You must put them in the center of action if you expect them to be interested; "what will i do now?" "I shouldn't trust this guy" "woa, this NPC actually helped us". This is the kind of thing players like.

Now things players don't do: "oh, this world is fascinating! i wonder if i can know more about this lore" or "this NPC is intriguing. Tell me more about yourself, coolest guy!"

If you think players will like your 'n'pc you're wrong.

Oddball effect. Weird shit is more memorable.

What shithole country are you from?

Because the NPCs you wrote aren't relevant

Stop expecting anyone to give a shit about a character that isn’t more interesting than an improv prompt.

>backstories

No one cares

>personalities

No one cares you can do a goofy voice

>abilities

No one cares you homebrewed some shit or gamed the system with your knowledge.

>Looks

No one cares what they look like unless you have a mini or a picture, and god help you if whatever mini or picture you’re using elicits a stronger reaction than the character you’re trying to portray.

>post online on Veeky Forums
>spend a lot of time making informative helpful posts with source links and splatbooks
>user doesn't care about any of it
>post archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/55121110/#55121110 but with two words different
>580 posts omitted and 150 pictures, click reply to view

>a flying sword that wants to be an artist but keeps chopping up the canvases by accident

This is so good, I'm considering stealing it.

The fact is that sometimes you have great ideas and sometimes you have not-so-great ideas. You can't usually tell which is which because you're on the inside. This is why editors are so important in professional writing. You might pour your heart and soul into a concept that just isn't particularly engaging to anyone else.

There's nothing wrong with that, it's just how things go. Instead of focusing on what didn't stick, be happy that you created something that someone else genuinely enjoys. That's beyond the capability of a lot of people.

Why would anyone repost on Veeky Forums, what the shit

It's an easy to understand yet fairly unique encounter, so the PCs can easily comprehend and remember what the premise is, and due to the open-ended nature of TTRPGs they also have a lot of different ways to tackle the situation.
In other words, it's a simple but fantastical jumping point, something that manages to be weird enough to seem magical, but not so convoluted as to perplexing.

These kinds of short, snappy and improvised scenarios are also good because they're vague enough that if the PCs want to leave it as merely a quirky encounter it can stay as such, but if they want to take the sword with them, or help it fulfill its dreams or whatever, they can do that too, which means it gives the players agency, and the chain of events that unfolds will be easily remembered because it'll seem like they truly decided what to do in response to the problem.

>No one cares
>tfw GMing

Nice stereotype, bro. That truly is an excellent jest. I tip my hat to you.

Excuse me while I drink delicious stouts and wrestle with the ramifications of our actions upon these characters in the hamlet, and how we can resolve their conflict given their motivations.

You sound like you hate fun with a passion

>assblasted americans

>He doesn't have an argument to protect his shitty fantasy world

Go write a book then, Nigel.