Guilds of Ravnica

What's Veeky Forums's favorite guild and why is it inevitably going to turn out to be the I***t?

strawpoll.me/14960953

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14961189
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Whoever wins, RtRtR is gonna suck.

The thing that gets me about most of the MtG settings is that there seems to be nothing going on unless the jactice league are in town.

I mean, what kind of adventures could one have in Kaladesh prior to or even after the events of the block? Similarly what about Kamigawa or Lorewyn?

How so?

Both Kamigawa and Lorwyn blocks predated the Jacetice League.

I'll agree that we deserve a less Gatewatch-centric Kaladesh set, though.

Obviously but you get what I mean. Beyond the blocks of those specific settings there isn't really enough to run a game in setting.

Considering the amount of retcons that took place during RtR, I'm fully expecting a similar level of them, followed by everything interesting getting swept behind Living Guildpact shenanigans.

>nothing going on unless the jactice league are in town
What do you mean? Most stories follow their characters p.o.v., and the characters go to where the action is until the next adventure

I can see where you're coming from.

At the same time, the intra-Guild strife courtesy of Ral/Vraska/Teysa that they've been building up to could be a fun plotline.

Yeah. The actual plot they're setting up looks really fun, I just don't want it to be thrown into the mess that is the Bolas vs. Ugin conflict like everything seems to be recently. Just let me have a Ravnica plot that deals with Ravnica, and doesn't have to tie that into Machiavellan plots between planeswalkers who aren't even there when it happens Unless it's Niv. I could go with Niv going full mastermind

That's a completely reasonable sentiment.

In other news, I had no idea the Boros were this fucking popular. That's kinda' interesting, actually. Care to explain what you find appealing about them?

Same goes for everyone, actually: why is your favorite Guild your favorite?

I'm 50/50 between Izzet and Golgari. Izzet because I genuinely enjoy the mad scientist shenanigans and RU is my favorite color pair to play, and Golgari because the death and life cycle motif really appeals to me for some reason.

The enemy color Guilds seem to be thoroughly trouncing the ally colored ones. (Except the poor Simic)

First for Simic.

No votes for Selesnya yet.
Shocking considering how many of you are faggots.

I'm a fan of Rakdos because of the combination of their great aesthetic and fun-to-play cards I've been trying to get hellbent to work for years, much to my own dismay. and the fact that Rakdos himself is a treat to read in anything he's in. He's the best part of the Return to Ravnica novels, he's pretty good in the OG Rav books, and his cards make me laugh.

I mean, say what you like about Wayne Reynolds, but I like his sketches for the guild.

>Boros is Winning
Best Guild.
Worst Commander Decks.

Reminder that Boros is the most boring guild.
Even Azorius is more interesting than them- and they're fucking bureaucrats.

Boros are just trying their best, they aren't filthy schemers.

This, how can be voting for the dumbest and most boring guild?

Not a Boros guy myself, but even I gotta' admit that Boros-tan is grade-A waifu material.

When Ravnica first came out, it instantly jumped to my favorite MtG setting
However, I had long since quit the game before it was returned to, so my question is, what happened during the return?
Lore, cards, whatever, please fill me in a bit, if you would be so kind.

white/red in general is boring, its almost as drab as mono-red "hurr fire and rage" except with a hint of zealotry

Though, to be fair, mono-red at least gets entropy and chaos magic.

Preach. They're in the lead though at nearly 30% with 34 votes so far.

No Selesnya votes much to my surprise considering how many of you losers talk about traps.

On top of red sucking on its own, WR is the pair which sinergizes the worst, they just have no business beign together. It's a paper thin 1 dimensional pair.

I am curious, which guild do you hate the most?
strawpoll.me/14961189

Boros is JUSTICE and Heroism! It’s the ability to see what’s wrong when evil is done and do something about it! Boros is taking a sword and shield in hand and holding the line against impossible odds.

Don't really hate any of them. Selesnya and gruul are pretty boring and Azorus is the worst color pair, but nothing's really hateworthy about any of them.

The Selesnya embody more-or-less everything I find alarming and wrongheaded about spiritualism. Suborning individual agency, resisting technological progress, inducting you into a fucking hive mind.

Way scarier than the Rakdos or the Dimir, IMO.

The main takeaway I get from this poll is that people like white, as long as it's not Selenya.

Azorius is justice you are just some dangerous nutcase mate.

Rakdos at leat is up front about their wanting to murderfuck you, and based on the Secretist books suprisingly cordial if you're down to party with them. Like, they'll ask. They might threaten you while they do it, but they'll at least ask.

Azorius are rules, laws, and arbitration. The rules don’t need to be just for them to follow them.

>Suborning individual agency, resisting technological progress, inducting you into a fucking hive mind.
Honestly what good is seeking "real" goods and a better real life, when you are spiritual enough to find happiness inside yourself?
Yes their life might be worse in an objective sense, but happiness is in the mind, not the body.

Azorius is the rules.
Boros is the principles.

Boros throw procedural fairness in the trash if they need to.
Azorius pass horribly cruel and unjust laws in pursuit of control.

The Law is just and justice is in the Law.

To each their own, but as far as I'm concerned, free will and self determination are much more important than simply being happy.

Actually, that's pretty much the whole conflict between G and U/B.

Azorious are the bureaucrats, Boros are the executioners.

The protagonist of the first Ravnica block was Boros wasn't he? The 'good' Boros (Ravnica beat cops) sounds rad as hell. I think the guild is actually one of the most boring both mechanically and flavorfully, but it has one of the better ideals.

My favorite is the Orzhov because I think the aesthetic is rad and I like the idea of everything being sociopolitical manipulation. Selesnya would probably be my second but only because it sort of appeals to my mind control fetish.

>someone actually voting Simic
Show yourself and defend your stance at one, cur!

The Azorius don't give a shit about justice. They enforce law to protect order, but have no qualms about such inconsequential things as morality.

I wonder if Boros is topping this one because people geuinely dislike them, or because they're mad Boros is topping the popularity poll instead of [Favorite guild].

Probably a bit of both.

Seselnya absolutely rekt

I was hesitant between golgari and boros and voted boros because of butthurt.

On which poll?

I said because of butthurt how does that not explain that i was talking of the hate one?

It could have been interpreted as wanting to exacerbate the level of butthurt in others.

Selesnya just landed their first vote.

Explain.

Wasn't me who did it, I just noticed it in the poll.

Orzhov because their style is super fucking cool with that priestly opulence. I think the guard armor especially on Knight of Obligation looks amazing and I also happen to love ghosts and money.

Only thing I really hope they don't do if/when they revisit the plane is keep pushing the guildless stuff like they did in RtR because that shit is too boring.

Ghost Jew Mafia.
I didn't read the ebooks, did they do anything with the Gateless outside of, what, five cards?

Their aesthetic isn't even a little Jewish. It's super Catholic.

>literally in charge of all of Ravnica's banks
>not Jewish

My favorites are Izzet and Simic, because I love the various flavors of mad scientist. When I built my Kambal EDH deck, I began to have a lot of love for Orzhov as a color and as flavor, since most of the 99 started to come from Ravinca.

I see you're not a friend of justice.

But trap is Dimir

So Simic are mad scientists that deal in biomancy while Izzet are mad scientists that deal in alchemy?
Really struggling trying to understand these two.

Any help to understand the core beliefs and practices of these two would be appreciated.
How are they different?
How are they alike?

My favorite guild has to be Golgari, least favorite azorius.

Because I don't care how cool the senate might be, I HATE B/W

Basically, in terms of practice, the Izzet are much more ecclectic, incorporating artifice, alchemy, elementalism, metamagic, chronomancy and anything else that catches their eye. They are your go to guys for purely mechanical Magitek.

The Simic, on the other hand, deal in biomancy, plain and simple. Though there's a bit more varience, especially since the organization was gutted between OG Rav and RTR, but their core will always be organic Magitek.

In terms of philosophy, the Simic are more similar to IRL scientists, using structured inquiry and laser-like focus, while the Izzet are true mad scientists, who can focus on a single project for just long enough to see if it actually works.

>B/W
U/W

yeah, fuck me my brain left for a sec

Orzhov is cool imo

Bring back the Weatherlight saga

But y tho?

Because it's MtG's greatest story ever told about the hero's journey?

It's also over. Like definitively, nowhere else to go, entire min cast dead, entire conflict resolved once and for all over.

But what if... *cue fanfare*

...they continued the story past the point it could reasonably support, contrived a way to retcon a bunch of long dead characters back to life and diluting the themes of the original story?

Exactly. It knew when to end once its story was done.

We will never see the end of bradywalkers, because there's no room for growth in a suit.

As in the paradigm of lower-powered, post-Mending PWs in general or the current ongoing storylines specifically?

No, user....
They bring it back from the very beginning.
*cue establishing shot of Dominaria*

So, Maya will show up again on Ravnica, dick around, get paid to kill the obdezat by Teysa, then bounce...
Just like Fiora.
What is she so smug about anyways.?

Kaya curse you autocorrect
Also best clans not last place.

I played Orzhov and Dimir, Rakdos had some neat gimmicks but Boros was by far the best in terms of building a powerful deck.

To be fair, events aren't occurring because the Jactice League are there, the Jactice League are there because events are occurring.

WotC has problems making 3 new mechanics for a block. Imagine if they have to do 10.

Gerrard a shit though, and he's in more cards than Jace.

???
Name a more iconic sacrifice in MtG history that surpasses Gerrard's.

Orzhov because they shit on anyone who tattoos themselves with their symbol. Fucking glorious.

Punisher Legion all day, every day.

>google "Orzhov Tattoo"
>mfw

It's okay if they're into slaveplay tho

If you look at it, it makes sense that usually you won't be able to tell much has changed. It takes a very large-scale event to warp a plane. And we have had a few return-to blocks, all of which imply some changes off camera. If you mean that you wish those changes were on camera and that we paid more attention to the worlds the Gatewatch isn't on, that's fair.

I'd love for one set a year to be "Meanwhile in _______"

Do you have a tattoo, user?

The one that gets to ally between each other as a four/three-colour alliance.

No.
I prefer to be the master.

Simic is dna experimenting and creating wild monsters in vats.

Izzet is creating lightning and explosions in a steampunk atmosphere

>why is it inevitably going to turn out to be the I***t?
I prefer the Orzhov but here is a nice izzet lady for you

Izzet are the most manic of the guilds, that girl in your pic is too OOC to be part of the League.

She is an obvious dimir spy.
That's why she is so concerned with being looked at!

What are the odds that Simic-tan has some equine features spliced on?

I don't think being shy in social situations and being unsettlingly enthusiastic about one's interests are necessarily mutually exclusive qualities.

Not aquatic enough. Horses are pretty GW.

Ducks, on the other hand...

>Dimir aren't actually all that secretive
>They're just introverted and shy

C U T E
U
T
E

Nah, she is pure and will only do it upon your body as part of experiment.
But then if you take a rakdos girl and force her get education at Simics…

Oh... shit.
How can one be shy if they are too pre-occupied on WHY THERE IS A SHORTAGE OF MIZZIUM FOR YOUR NEXT COMBUSTIBLE VACUUM CLEANER?!?

Every shy girl you meet is in fact a Dimir agent.
Truly, they are everywhere.

>Boros: Strapon of Justice
>Selesnya: Feminine
>Golgari: Parasite
>Gruul: Prehensile tail
>Rakdos: Yes
>Dimir: Glimpse the Unthinkable
>Izzet: Literal SCIENCE boner
>Azorius: The Punishment Rod
>Orzhov: Doesn't even need a dick
>Simic: Tentacles

I really wish we could have seen Kaladesh without the Jacetice League. It sounded like a really fun plane, but then they just fucked it up by shoehorning their crappy, unlikeable characters into it.