THE ABSOLUTE STATE OF PLAYING MTG

reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/7txpex/discussion_gp_houston_disqualification_ruling/

>have a friendly chat and banter with your opponent
>knows he's clearly joking, chatted with him and finished your game against him
>judge taps on your shoulder when the game is done to have a little chat with you
>because you didn't sperg out and yell to a judge to have your opponent disqualified the moment he made a joke about who should win this round, both you and your opponent are now disqualified, long after your game is finished

People are still flushing away their money playing this shit game. Imagine that.

>toxictoxictoxic

Fucking reddit.

>Game literally marketed to children
>"Competitive" judges DQ people for making harmless jokes
>"Competitive" judges DQ people for not immediately welching on people that make harmless jokes
>"Reddit thinks this is toxic"
Bro what?

How goes the crusade, Jeremy?

WTF! I love Yu-Gi-Oh now!

>Implying this is a bad thing
Nigga, they tell you over and over at competitive REL events that bribery is not to be joked about and that you should always tell a judge about it.

Idiot got what he deserved. His opponent wasn't making a joke either, he was feeling the dude out for an actual bribe. If you're going to link leddit maybe you should at least read.

If the alternative is nobody ever getting busted again for bribery attempts because "whoops I'm just kidding winkyface" serves as an ultimate loophole, then I'd rather stay with the current situation.

>the absolute state of having nowhere to post your anti-MtG crusade than Veeky Forums

>reddit

You seem like you'd get along with Mad Thad. The two of you think alike.

According to the bribery rules
>I lose the match
>Report to judge that I lose and that I bribe my opponenet
>Get my opponent disqualified for failing to report bribery

No matter why MTG is losing players

>even joking about bribery at Professional REL
>not reporting it
Dudes brought it on themselves, and that's even assuming the guy is telling the truth. People never lie on the internet, right?

>His opponent wasn't making a joke either, he was feeling the dude out for an actual bribe.
Prove it, faggot.

I never fail to find it hilarious how low magicfags will sink to defend their shitty game. The SHEER POWER of investment bias cannot be beaten.

>trying to stop bribery, which is a serious issue that undermines tournament integrity, is sinking low
Okay Jeremy.

Whatever gets you off, Jeremy.

He who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserves neither.

>t. magicfags who know they have no argument, but are so salty they can't resist shitposting a butthurt reply anyway
lmao

>You should allow me to bribe you into letting me get into top8 because otherwise you're a leftist SJW shill.
Okay, Jeremy.

Fun fact: that quote is taken way out of context.

I'm glad you're having fun, Jeremy.

>t. Jeremy follower who knows he has no argument, but is so salty he can't resist shitposting a butthurt reply anyway
lmao

>The state of mtg players
There can't be two Jeremies, right?

Of course there can be two Jeremies, Jeremy.

I think we've reached the point where people are just making inflammatory posts and posting contrarian replies.

Whoever is doing this, you've already killed Magic here. Discussion is essentially dead and a shadow of what it was even six months ago.

Buddy, bribery is a serious issue. Joking about it in a tournament setting is retarded and deserves a ban. Not reporting people who could possibly be attempting to bribe people is retarded and deserves a ban.

Bantz is allowed. Possible bribery isn’t. It should be zero tolerance.

Up to you, Jeremy.

>I'm getting BTFO here
>I KNOW ILL ACCUSE THEM ALL OF BEING LE EPIC TRIPFAG

The ABSOLUTE STATE

>Stupid shit does something stupid
>Blames judges for acting accordingly
Who even fucking ''casually'' jokes about cheating in a contest that you can win potentially thousands of dollars? Either you were set up purposefully by your opponent and sabotaged or you played against a brain dead manlet. Now you know not to even entertain that conversation. Next time grow a pair of balls and tell your opponent to knock it off.

Calm down, Jeremy. No need to post in capslock. You're too mature for that.

He who argues with witty sounding quotes is a fucking tool.

Whatever you say Jeremy.

"It was just a joke!"

>Opponent say "I should let you concede"
>Judge overheard conversation
>Gets ban

How can MTG ever recover?

So was the comment about not wanting to have sex with that 5.5/10 that got assblasted and became an even worse dramacow.

>or you played against a brain dead manlet
The comments show this to be the case. The opponent, the one who was making the jokes, went off to some side event after losing. He vented his butthurt about losing to some of his friends over there and a judge overheard him.
Basically, his beef with the writer is that the writer would have to get lucky on tiebreaks in order to make top while the opponent just needed that one win for a guaranteed spot.

Yes, don’t act like you might try to bribe someone. It isn’t fucking hard.

I wouldn't want to be the judge in that situation. Rules are rules, you don't get to break them and then say "I was only kidding, bro". On the other hand, I really don't see how not reporting an infraction(that doesn't actually affect your own standing, it would be different if he had benefited from it) is ban-worthy.

I mean discussion of the actual game is still around, it's just all the asjacent stuff gets shat up with this.

>Somebody jokes about killing somebody
>Go to jail for failing to report the joker

Really makes me think

who the fuck is jeremy?

>MCMICHAEL claimed this post was a joke.

OK so I actually agree with the ruling in this particular case, but I have one question : if the player had decided to snitch on his opponent, how would he then proceed to prove his claims ? how does a rule like this not lead to every other guy reporting their opponent for bribery when nothing of the sort was even said ?

keep in mind I play kitchen table MTG, don't know shit about tourneys

False equivalency bro.

A guy who got banned from Magic for talking shit. He and his followers have been booty-blasted ever since.

Lmao

Jeremy-posting is my new favorite passtime

I don't get it dude. The card design is terrible. Standard is the worst its been in forever. Modern is insanely expensive with needed staples getting rarity shifts in "reprints" which does nothing to lower the price. The story and lore has dropped in quality to appeal to the common denominator. Hamfisted social commentary to appeal to tumblrinas

But this. This is the hill you die on? Some fag who got DQ'd at a competitive REL for being a fucking idiot and breaking the rules?

I'm genuinely starting to believe that Unsleeved media and all the "drama" channels in the mtg community are actually wotc plants in order to distract the masses from their abysmal card design. Either that or they're fucking idiots who don't care about the actual game itself.

The judge interviews both players and can talk to the people around them.

>playing mtg seriously
grade 1 spergery

>anyone who realizes the mtg scene is shit must be linked to that one guy somehow
This is what magicfags actually believe.

Hurry up and get redpilled. Your damage control is getting desperate.

You can't prove your innocents and you get ban.
People here support this dumb ruling which is beyond me.

Whatever you say Jeremy.

It's hard to prove your innocence when you admit to being guilty.

>But this. This is the hill you die on?
Literally nothing implied that this was the turning point. You're making shit up. It's because you're not very smart and are desperate to find something to be condescending about. I've got your number, kid. It's 56, the same as your IQ.

The truth is that the amount of shitposting against MtG is extremely high. There's multiple threads a day with no purpose other than to bitch about. The OP is even fishing in obscure subreddit for weapons to use against MtG. This is someone who is extremely invested in the demise of MtG, in order to go to such lengths to spread dirt against a game they dislike. Someone without a high interest in Magic the Gathering wouldn't go to a tiny subreddit like r/spikes on a whim. This is someone with a great interest in MtG, for one reason or another.

The individual that posts these thread is likely one of the following:
>A speculator looking to drop the playerbase and lower the cost of cards so they can buy up. They have literal financial gain to make off of this, so no wonder they're so invested.
>Someone vindictive with extreme emotional or political motivation, looking to destroy the game because they disagree with the company's politics or actions.
>Someone with a high level of investment in a competing product, to the point where they are incapable of tolerating the existence of a rival product.

No matter which of the three the OP is, it's apparent to everyone that there's an obvious anti-MtG shilling campaign going on. They might even post valid points about card quality now and then, but that doesn't change the fact that they're shilling and actively pursuing the death of MtG for financial gain, political purposes or the financial gain of a competitor.

You'll be like your senpai Sargon some day, Jeremy. I'm sure of it!

That's the thing, you don't have to admit your guilt. Your opponent admits your guilt for you, wither it's fake or not.

That isn't what happened here though.

Have you considered that maybe you're just paranoid? He might be what you said... or he might just be someone who just frequents both reddit and Veeky Forums and thought that this might make for an interesting discussion(or just posted it to troll people).

Yeah I figured it'd go down like that. Opens the door to a lot of abuse still

Why would someone who makes comments about MtG such as "People are still flushing away their money playing this shit game. Imagine that." and " THE ABSOLUTE STATE OF PLAYING MTG" visit Magic the Gathering subreddits? After all, this is someone with a heavy dislike for MtG. Why would they go out and actively gather information about MtG from MtG subreddits, including niche and little known ones?

Patterns emerge if you keep trying to report your opponent for cheating / bribery / whatever

>People make threads on Veeky Forums bitching about minor shit

This must be a conspiracy

Anyone who says otherwise is one of (((them)))

For sure. Doesn't stop a dude from doing it in a situation comparable to OP's scenario and fucking you over big time when you could be getting a top 8

Which is why you report the guy for being so stupid as to even joke about bribing you. Call over a floor judge and inform him. If your claim is questioned, both players can spoken to, as can the other players around them, also there's the chance that a judge might have overheard the conversation.

There's no such thing as a perfect system. Either we DQ people for attempted bribery and hope that Judges will be able to make the right call, or we don't DQ people for attempted bribery and tournament results lose any sort of meaning.

MTG events are run by a private enterprise. If you don't like their rules you can go fuck yourself and make a better card game.

The problem is that Magic itself has become far enough away from being healthy to repel this garbage. If Magic wasn't actually a dumpster fire right now people committed to destroying it wouldn't have any material to shitpost about.

I've felt there's been systemic problems with Magic for years. And now, there's dipshits using that vulnerability to actually undermine credibility in the game. It's like the immune system has been weakened and any stupid shit that would not even manifest as anything else than a sneeze is suddenly causing pneumonia.

And I don't understand why Veeky Forums has to be used as a staging ground for this shit. This place has always been the blame-scapegoat for all the horrible shit that happens in this game, which suited me fine because this place was the only place that actually was capable of talking truth about the game. Yet the morons wanting to kill the game want to kill it here as if it was attacking the experts in the game, except there is nobody else in the community who would dare call the people here experts even though in my opinion this place has more experienced players than any other site.

>Which is why you report the guy for being so stupid as to even joke about bribing you. Call over a floor judge and inform him. If your claim is questioned, both players can spoken to, as can the other players around them, also there's the chance that a judge might have overheard the conversation.

There's still room for fuckery in there. I'm not against the ruling in itself, as I said. But if we're talking professional play, this becomes a legal issue since there's money involved. No room for potential fuckery there if you ask me

>you don't need background checks to work with minors at mtg events
>but you can be banned for not snitching on someone for telling a joke

really puts cheese on my pizza

>There's no such thing as a perfect system. Either we DQ people for attempted bribery and hope that Judges will be able to make the right call, or we don't DQ people for attempted bribery and tournament results lose any sort of meaning.

See

Veeky Forums is the staging ground because outside of the most banal /pol/ garbage that they spout, none of their complaints about MtG actually get moderated. Despite the fact that this thread is obviously made by the same people that shriek and gibber about female pirates and black Egyptians, it's allowed to exist because it's on-topic even though it has the exact same purpose as those other threads - to shill against MtG. I'm not even looking forward to spoiler season here anymore. You know what we'll get when we see Dominaria spoilers? A 400-post shitpost thread for every single card that features a non-white character or a female character wearing covering clothes.

You do sound like you need more calcium Jeremy.

But you do, Jeremy.

>You're making shit up. It's because you're not very smart and are desperate to find something to be condescending about.
Wow, I didn't realize I was dealing with an intellectual here. Please keep telling me how the SJW boogymen are killing mtg or the judges are pedos or whatever. I'm sure you're so woke my tiny brane just couldn't comprehend.

Jeremy's confirmed for not actually caring about MtG. He literally jumps on whatever band wagon he thinks will make money for him. At one point, he even invested a hell of time and effort into a claw machine Youtube channel. Noiw, he's seeing money in being the Sargon of tabletop gaming so he's doubling down on those sorts of politics.

Yeah, these are posts made just to make people go up in arms for misleading reasons or that arent worth it. But there is still good discussion around even though this cancer creeped up Veeky Forums.

He doesn't need to, thats the whole point of the rule.

The thing is, the shitposting about racial diversity is observing an actual trend, there is legitimately a push for more ethnic representation and sexual representation in the art.

Now, I would be okay with that under most circumstances. Except the issue is that the art has gone to fucking hell in conjunction with that push. And you can't progress the conversation that the art is of fucking ugly people without being accused of being a racist. If they had just said to artists, "hey, make more colored females in the art" while maintaining the art quality and artist freedom of five years ago, we'd have no problems, especially from me. I don't want to look at a card and see my disgusting mug staring back at me; anybody who feels that fantasy needs to be more representative of real life can quite frankly go fuck themselves. Their good artists were either fired or they quit. And they're being replaced by people who are willing to work for less and with less artistic freedom just to get a foot in the door. And they were ousted piecemeal so nobody could observe a sudden loss of their contributions.

You're right, nothing gets moderated here. Whereas on Reddit it's pretty much authoritarian and censored to hell. The speech here was fairly moderate before and now the freedom is being abused with this torrent of shitposting with no way to improve it. I still have trouble grasping why the fuck people want to shit here of all places when it's certain NONE of it will be exported to the mainstream Magic community; this place is already ostracized, why waste your fucking effort here? There's fucking Twitter.

The people who post here also post elsewhere. I'll guarantee half of the people that posted in this thread have a Reddit account and frequent other social media in which they talk about MtG. People who post on Veeky Forums don't have a label over their head saying 'Veeky Forums poster' on other websites that makes them ostracized. They can carry their opinions over to other sites, making Veeky Forums a reasonable staging ground for spreading controversial opinions that you don't want associated with your identity.

If they're posting elsewhere it is not with the same degree of inflamatory bullshit. And if they are, they're getting moderated well out of view because I have never ever seen anything elsewhere with content even remotely resembling anything in this thread. I'm pretty sure the name "Jeremy" is ghostbanned on Reddit. They're exclusively making their dogshit opinions known here and nowhere else except Twitter.

Which brings me back to questioning why the fuck would you post your garbage here if nobody but Veeky Forums people are going to see it. There is nothing to be gained by pissing us off; sure, I'm pissed off; but what gain is there to that? You're not undermining anything in Magic by shitting on this place.

The theory is that fa/tg/uys will shitpost for them, once they convince us to be Jeremy's private army. The difference is that most of us are just about smart enough to realize that someone is trying to manipulate us with their incessant shitposting about MtG, so we're resisting their efforts.

But they're going to keep on trying, because some of these twits are really quite devoted.

>some of these twits are really quite devoted
Well, you got that right.

I don't have much else to say. I'm just really sorry we can't talk about problems and how Wizards can improve them; that cathartic discussion outlet is just going to be disrupted by people talking about pedophilia or some shit like that.

The community is fucking on high alert over this bullshit. Who the fuck is going to stick out their neck for this retard and risk getting banned from their favorite site or becoming ostracized at their store. I'm almost certain this Jeremy guy has been utterly shut out of every local store. You look at all the shit he's made in the past and it implied that he had friends; he's been solidly abandoned because his new content says jack shit about any social interaction. That's not an invitation to look at his bait videos, I used to be a fan and he just turned and decided to spit in the faces of anybody who saw some reason in the things he said. Way to alienate your core audience.

>It's just a prank bro

I think you are mixing up two issues. By most accounts, the art has gone to shit way before the diversity push. I distinctly remember a lot of bitching about INN and RTR art.

People have been bitching about art since Zendikar, which was roughly the point when MtG started seeing interest on Veeky Forums.

I'm a curious wargamer. I don't play stuff like 40k though, just simple stuff like Frostgrave and certainly not competitively.

What formats does competitive MtG use normally?

I know about drafts, where you pay in £5-10 on "Friday Night Magic" or whatever and a box of booster packs is split amongst the competitors. Seems a bit random (I'm guessing that whilst some cards are better than others, even a really unlucky deck is still viable). Is it a case of playing 6 rounds or something else like knockouts?

But at these big tournaments, is it basically you have a points limit and within that you can pack as many $2000 super-rare OOP cards as desired? I have heard they make certain older cards illegal though.

>Zendikar is when it got big on Veeky Forums
It'd explain why so many people suck Zendikar off while no-one ever talks about Alara.
To me, Alara will always be the definitive point when it went to shit.
One god-tier waifu tho.

>talking about liberty in a moderated tournament game.

I'm bored and tired, so I'll give you a rundown for something that you could easily research in about five minutes.

There's Draft. You basically get three boosters. You open one up, pick one card and send the booster down the table. You repeat this until there are no cards left, then you build a deck from the cards you picked. You usually play this at your store and you get to keep your drafted cards. If you win, you usually also get some boosters. You just play a few rounds and the dude with the most wins wins overall, with wins vs better players being worth more points obviously.

There's Standard. You build a deck from the newest few Sets. This is the biggest format, seeing the most official support. Friday Night Magic events are usually Standard because most people play this.

There's Modern. You are allowed to pick any card from any set past a certain point.

There's Legacy. You can build your deck from any set ever released. This is the oldfag format and it's slowly been withering away thanks to a complete lack of support and staple cards becoming ludicrously expensive.

And there's also Vintage, where the same applies but the Banlist is slightly different because you are allowed to use gamebreakingly strong cards. There's practically no support for this format and it's been this way for decades. The people that play this don't care, because they are quite literally an enthusiast old-men club. Typically doctors or lawyers who used to be into Magic in the early 90s and who now have no qualms to toss out a few hundred to thousand bucks for the cards of their youth play this.

no points limits or anything. Every card in a particular format (basically, from a particular subset of expansions) is allowed. You can't have more than 4 of a card. Some cards are specifically banned if they're utterly warping the meta.
It is, somehow, even more pay2win than 40k.

Who the fuck is Jeremy

Competitive tournament formats typically include:
>Standard
>Modern
>Legacy

Standard format restricts to cards that have only been released in recent sets. For example, right now the sets viable for Standard are Kaladesh, Aether Revolt, Amonkhet, Hour of Devastation, Ixalan and Rivals of Ixalan. Cards from those sets are valid for Standard play. We will be getting a set called Dominaria follwed by an unnamed set, then Kaladesh through to Hour of Devastation will rotated out of Standard. After four more sets, Ixalan through to the unnamed set will be rotated out of Standard. Whenever a ninth set would be introduced to Standard, the oldest four sets are rotated out of Standard.
Modern does not rotate cards out, but it only allows cards from the 8th Edition set and later to be made. In Modern, you can't play cards from earlier than 8th Edition. This prevents certain old cards that don't fit with Magic's current design philosophy from being played.
Legacy allows all cards from all sets to be played, with no age limits. For this format, you're correct - players frequently spend extreme amounts on expensive cards in order to win.

In all of these formats, cards above a certain power level can also be banned from being played. Typically, there's meant to be no banned cards in Standard according to their design philosophy but in the past couple of years, they've really screwed up and there's seven different banned cards at the moment.

Other constructed formats include:
>Vintage
Legacy but without power level bannings. Impossibly expensive. Competitive decks do cost upwards of $10k. Be prepared for some wild shit.
>Elder Dragon Highlander
I won't go into all of the rules here, but this isn't a tournament or a serious format. Wacky shit goes here.

You think people that play at competitive events actually like MTG?

Nice shitquote.
Next time some crazy driver speeds up and kills children at some elementary school and people point out the speed limit, are you going to sperg like this too?

I don't understand your analogy. If you spend even a moment thinking, speed limits are an unneeded and illiberal law that penalise safe and skilled drivers and do not actively deter unsafe drivers.

The sad fact is people demand state intervention rather than exercising personal responsibilities.

>If you spend even a moment thinking, speed limits are an unneeded and illiberal law that penalise safe and skilled drivers and do not actively deter unsafe drivers.
But that's factually wrong you mong.
For just one example, there's a highway in my state that was unironically known as "Killer Road" because at least five people died on it a year for decades. They reduced the speed limit by 20 km/h and ever since, nobody has died on it and accidents have been significantly reduced.

Most people are incredibly terrible drivers and I shudder to think of the world where they didn't have signs to tell them how fast they are allowed to go and no fear of punishment keeping them in line.