Too Many Swords Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/:
Do your characters have backup weapons? Backup armor? A backup spellbook?

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Sy-Krg-Tyl#p14
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes, yes, and no, since i'm not currently playing a wizard.
I do have a friend that never takes any ranged or thrown weaponry on his martials and then gets pissed when he can't get into melee with something.

Maybe someday he'll stop being retarded...someday...

>never takes any ranged or thrown weaponry
Just... how? Don't most of the starting gear sets include it?

Currently playing a Moon Druid, so each form has access to different weapons and tools (senses) for every occasion.
Minotaur Barb, horns are a backup 1d10 weapon
and polearm pally with a greatsword backup

technically you can roll for cash instead of using standard equipment choices, which makes it possible to simply not have ranged options
or he could've given his away, fighter in the game I run gave his starting handaxes to a bunch of hunters in exchange for a detailed map of surroundings

Couple of handaxes, a greataxe, and a battle axe. All have been former main weapons before he got a +1 Longsword. He doesn't wear armor because lol barbarian, and since he can't cast shit other than what his Totem abilities allow he doesn't have a spellbook.

Pact of the Blade Hexblade with Armor of Shadows. I am always armed and armored.

Except maybe in an antimagic field. Do they shit on conjured pact weapons?

The party wizard has taken to tying a spare component pouch to his familiar

No, the word magical is used once in Pact of the Blade to refer to it overvoming resistances and not mentioned at all with hex warrior.

The only thing thag happens in an anti magic field is that it no longer overcomes resistances.

I'd say as they go away if they are away for you for a minute the act of keeping the weapon on your plane is a magical tether that would get fucked by an antimagic field.

like I said, he's retarded.
He employs such logic as:
>Why don't you have a fucking bow?
>My dex is a 9, man, I wouldn't be able to hit shit with a bow
>Well now you're standing here with your dick in your hand, unable to even MAKE an attack roll
>Yeah but I wouldn't be able to hit anyways because my dex sucks!

My Paladin is very ill-prepared for a ranged fight. He's got a magic longsword and until very recently the only ranged anything he had was Command. He picked up a dozen or so javelins recently and is already through most of them.

My rogue in another campaign has a crossbow but he also only has one hand. So reloading is difficult unless he casts Mage Hand before.

>Why don't you have a bow
Let me just spend my whole action drawing that bow.
>Able to get in melee range now
Wow it was fucking worthless.

Considering the armory barbs and fighters start with, yea.

As well as having a paranoid mage

>>My dex is a 9, man, I wouldn't be able to hit shit with a bow
handaxes
javelins

What's his excuse for not taking javelins?

>Let me just spend my whole action drawing that bow.
you should probably read the rules on drawing a weapon before looking like an idiot.

like I said, he's fucking retarded.

>like I said, he's fucking retarded.
well, I suppose that's why he's playing a fighter
actually please tell me he isn't a champion
I want to know he's not completely braindead
user please

>one handed rogue reloading crossbow with mage hand
I like it a lot. Stealing that.

What are the thoughts on the revised artificer homebrew?
Running a Warsmith with grappling reel and the knockback blast seems like it could be a lot of fun and open up some pretty cool options for teamwork.

Not the same user, but I have a tiefling champion in my campaign who never uses his Infernal Legacy spells and refuses to take any feats. Even he's smart enough to bring hand axes, though.

>well, I suppose that's why he's playing a fighter
oh you sweet sweet child, who said anything about being a fighter?

w-what is he

I usually carry darts, javelins or handaxes on my martials. If I'm going DEX like my current whip character, darts. If I'm going STR, javelins or handaxes. If I get disarmed or an enemy Heat Metal's my longsword/battleaxe/warhammer I can just whip out a javelin or handaxe as a backup melee weapon.

Armor? It depends on if the party has a Bag of Holding or not. If we do, I don't sell my chainmail/splint mail/plate armor when I get some magic heavy armor. I just put it there, on the off chance I need it later.

>Homebrew class

strength ranger

I will shit if it's a hexblade with no ranged option

My guess is that if he dumped DEX that hard, probably a Paladin.

In theory, could also be a STR Ranger, but at that point I don't know why you did that when you know you're gonna be in the front lines and not wearing heavy armor. Possibly a Barbarian, but that seems just as dumb a thing to do as the all STR, no DEX Ranger.

>strength ranger
I
uh
d-does he use his spells

no because he didn't have the foresight to choose actually useful spells.

Hunter's Mark?!

Its already been done:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Sy-Krg-Tyl#p14

jesus fucking christ
are you sure he's not actually legally retarded

ha, you wish.

Some days I wonder.

>ranger
>archetypical class that hunts the woods
>doesn't bring thrown weapons at least

>homebrewery
I wish downloading from the worked on my PC

he also decided to go with Beastmaster, in Out of the Abyss.

Alright /5eg/ I've got a problem.

I was a bitchboy and let my group basically play any class they wanted.

So now I've got "Same Dress" syndrome because I've got 2 Druids in a party of 4, along with a Skillmonkey and a Martial.

It's still early on but I know the further we get in, the more they're gonna step on each others toes and if I try and make a moment for One of Them, it'll always be "who figures out how this is a Druid Puzzle" first.

Jesus fucking Christ, I get play the way you want but this is just too much.

You dont download, you print and choose PDF as the printer.

Here you go, the fighter rework that adds baseline maneuvers is on page 14.

>you print and choose PDF as the printer.
yeah there's a problem here

Are they both also the same kind of druid?

You need to either be using windows 10 (that has that feature built in by default) or use google chrome (which also has it built in by default). There are also third party applications like CutePDF that you can install that do it as well.

>Beastmaster
I hope hes using Revised Ranger so hes not THAT useless.

oh
guess I'll just boot up chrome for homebrewery links next time
thanks user

the one non-retarded thing he did.

No problem. Homebrewery doesnt really work on anything that isn't chrome anyways, the formatting gets all messed up and stuff doesn't appear in the right places (due to a type of formatting function they use that browsers other than chrome don't support)

OwO What's this?

im the dude who was piecing together the other fighter thing. this one is pretty interesting although i'm not sure i care for some of the changes like second wind being a maneuver. nor do i really care for using hit die as your resources for some of them.

definitely something to look at tho. either way i was more interested in creating/converting maneuvers than anything else.

Trying to build a Sorcadin right now. Currently Level 5 right now.
Is it better to pick up Paladin 6 or Divine Soul 1?

I plan on going all the way to 7 with Paladin, but being able to pick up Cantrips and Shield feels like it might be better than getting the Paladin aura right away.

Do your players mind? If not then you don't really have a problem

>holy shit

What is a skill monkey?
>am new pliss no bully

A character or class that help with utility usually a bunch of skills, think bard or rouge

Up to you, honestly. Personally I think Paladin 6 is more important than Sorcerer 1 because the Aura is so good. Close call though.

I'm having a part of my dungeon where my players have to admit their foremost regret to progress. I plan on doing this by having them enter a confessional booth and bringing them into a private voice chat (we're playing online) and having them speak to me there. Should I handle it like that, or just have everyone send me over PM's what their secret is and be on with it? I feel having a conversation with each player will be personal, and its not like the other players will be waiting any longer than like 15 seconds each

I would get Pal 6. Having +3/4/5 to you AND your nearby allies' saves is so strong.

A class with a lot of skill proficiency, allowing them to be useful in a variety of skill checks. The Bard and Rogue are the PHB versions, with the UA Artificer and UA Mystic also fulfilling similar roles

Rogues too

>I feel having a conversation with each player will be personal, and its not like the other players will be waiting any longer than like 15 seconds each
Seems fine.

You dont use hit dice as a resource, they are just used to generate a value.

>Rogues
SON OF A BITCH

One wants to go Spore, the other hasn't picked yet.

That's what I'm not certain of

You can ask them you know

ah, i missed the "not consumed" part. my bad.

Druids are surprisingly very versatile, so honestly if they do different things it should be fine. The easiest thing to do is to push the other one towards moon and emphasize beast utility over spell utility.

What Paladin Oath?

Is the UA next monday or the one after?

One after, unfortunately. Next monday would be the first monday of the month.

Oath of Ancients

Dang, I need my food and provisions.

Frankly I'd go straight to 7 then. Resistance to spell damage? Yes please. I guess it depends how many spellcasting enemies your DM throws at you, but it's pretty fucking nice.

>He picked up a dozen or so javelins recently and is already through most of them.
They should not fucking break when thrown. What exactly happens to them?

Would the target of Cutting Words needing to understand the language the Bard is speaking nerf the ability too much?

That's a pretty big nerf to a single ability for what reason? It's clearly a magical ability, since charm-immune creatures are unaffected.

>Having more of the same class is an issue
You have never had the joy of playing an all Rogue party before, I hear.

>Do your characters have backup weapons? Backup armor? A backup spellbook?
Weapons are my bard's backup. If possible he'll try and talk, bribe, or cast a spell (such as suggestion) to work his way out of a fight.
That being said, his weapons are rapier on his hip, dagger in his boot and a hand crossbow holstered in his hurdy gurdy.

We fought lizardmen over a deep chasm, so anything that died just sorta fell off the bridge.

Plus he missed a lot with them since getting within 30 feet would mean stepping onto a slimy, slippery bridge and thus slipping and most certainly falling to his doom.

>hurdy gurdy
I like you.

>Cha, Wis and Int saves
What should I use for different situations? I'm guessing int saves are for stuff like illusions, cha saves for ghostly possessions.

What is the order of 'reaction' battles?
Can I see/they see what is rolled on a Counterspell Ability Check before deciding to Counterspell/Cutting Words themselves?

Ex:
Sexy Bard: I cast Polymorph on our low HP front liner to get them back in the fray
Evil Wizard: I counterspell! and -
At this point can the Bard A) Wait and see what is rolled and either cutting word/counterspell or B) Must decide to Counterspell/cutting word BEFORE its even rolled?

>DM for game about to start in two weeks
>The token grill of the group has never played a full spellcaster before
>She picks Sorcerer

I have a bad feeling about this. Any advice on helping relative newbs run Sorcs?

Intelligence: Disbelieving certain illusions and resisting mental assaults that can be refuted with logic, sharp memory, or both

Wisdom: Resisting effects that charm, frighten, or otherwise assault your willpower

Charisma: Withstanding effects, such as possession, that would subsume your personality or hurl you to another plane of existence

Kind of amusing that the Cavalier doesn't get Precision Attack, when that was one of the manoeuvres it got in its UA format.

>I guess it depends how many spellcasting enemies your DM throws at you, but it's pretty fucking nice.

It's Curse of Strahd if that makes any difference.

spells/abilities specify what saving through you use

if your building custom stuff, intelligence is incredibly underused and yes you have the right idea for what saves to use

Bard casts Polymorph.
Evil Wizard reacts, casting Counterspell.
Bard can immediately Counterspell, or pass.
If they pass and the Evil Wizard makes an ability check, Bard can Cutting Words.

Well, sorcerer is easiest caster right after Warlock, IMO.

Just make sure she picks reasonable spells (and subclass) and actually reads them.

Can someone explain the controversy about the playtesting period of 5E when it was still D&D Next?

So... I just had my character commit suicide. I legit couldn't justify not doing it.

Have you guys ever had that happen in a game?

>Party needs a healer
>Makes a human cleric girl for that healbot power.
>only good character in an otherwise neutral or evil party
>Makes a background with family, friends and everything
>Party synergy is fantastic. We work well together both as foils and allies, and have a ton of fun roleplaying.
>Then the GM takes over
>Starts murdering the mother, makes the father evil, has him try to kill my character, who has to kill him in self defense
>Unbeknownst to her, this was broadcast on a massive Crystal scrying orb in the throne room of the king
>Father is a notable cleric and political figure in the capital city.
>Friends and remaining family turn on her, and wants her dead
>Only allies left is the party
>The main antagonists, a large goblin clan, ambushed the party as they are searching for a way to clear her name
>About to TPK, teleports out
>Magical interference splits us up, and they catch my cleric
>Turns her into a goblin, and drops her near the party
>God refuses to let her have her powers now that she is a goblin
>Party tries to kill her (GM wouldnt let them consider it, we have been very "kill first, ask questions never" with goblins, who has been extremely deceiving, so that is unfortunately a fair ruling)
>Is found alive by goblins, who wants her to kill one of the party members in exchange for turning back into a human
>kills herself instead
Even warned the GM over a very long time, that this couldn't keep going in this direction. He kept saying "don't worry, it'll get better", but it pretty clearly didn't, and at some point... It was just impossible to justify this character clinging on to absolutely no hope or anything else.

Yeah, he is a massive edgelord. Not sure why he felt he wanted to take it this far all of a sudden. Maybe pissed that a good character wasn't shunned in an evil/neutral Party.

The UA cavalier wasn't even remote close to what the final product was in XGE (Knight, basically). The UA Cavalier was more about dealing damage, so precision attack fits, but the XGE cavalier is all about tanking and control, so personally I think the maneuvers he gave it fit better.

Sorcerer is the easiest caster to fuck up

It's the hardest caster after druid (who has too much bookkeeping) imo

Surprised you lasted that long, that's one hell of a magical misery tour.

Not spellbook, because I can't afford to backup everything yet (though given Keen Mind and Minor Conjuration, I can summon my backup anytime I wish), but multiple foci AND component pouch (and possibly specific components hidden over his body).

Generally not armor, because its hard to lug it with you... what said, I've had a character who had plate armor, breastplate and padded armor for different circumstances.

With martials, I think 6 slots for weapons on sheet isn't enough. Back in PF, my dwarf cleric had something like 12 different weapons, not counting multiples of some weapons, like daggers or throwing axes.

Would Gnomes still be viable as a player race if they were Tiny sized?

Fair enough, it just tickled my funny bone.

I'm worried because she didn't even know what metamagic was. Thank fuck another player started explaining it to her so I didn't have to. Fortunately, she's playing Divine Soul so at worst she just becomes the party healbitch. I don't know if she'll find that fun though. She's a frustratingly difficult player to read.