EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous threadRESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
How long have you been playing EDH? How many EDH groups do you play with? How often do they still get together?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/piecing-together-derevi-empyrial-tactician/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/5-colour-zadatazri/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-01-18-dusk/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zada-tazri-1/?cache=2018-01-30 18:12:06.295192
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

About a year now. One group, with some people coming and going over time. Weekly.

user always delivers, not that anyone really cares

2/2.

Scarab god looks fun but I can't justify trading or buying a card that will crash in price post standard rotation. The little jew in me is too strong

I would be absolutely shocked if it was more than $10 post rotation. But the thing you need to think about is the value of your time. If you would get more than $20 enjoyment out of it now, buy it regardless of price. If not, don't buy it till it rotates.

>How long have you been playing EDH? How many EDH groups do you play with? How often do they still get together?

1. About a year or so
2. mostly just the one, with two core members and some other people
3. about 3 times a month or so

Also: is this card any good? It seems like a cheaper version of puppeteer clique

Is getting mana flooded / screwed normal some times.

My deck has consistent land and ramp but sometimes it seems I can't do shit about it and just lose the game by default on turn 2-3

I gotta say, one of my favorite Jank Decks is Scarab God On A Bicycle. Cycling Tribal, with pretty much everything either having Cycling or triggering off my own Discards and Draws.

It's hilarious to drop Alhammaret's Archive, New Perspective, and just toss half my deck into my grave and swing with an Unblockable 40/3 and a Flying 40/43. Then pop a Shadow of the Grave or Elixir of Immortality and do it all over again.

>play pic related at lgs
>don’t win a lot but have fun
>new player comes to town
>min maxed animal deck
>several people say “hey man we don’t really have super competitive decks here, none of us can compete with you”
>he says it’s his only deck and he likes to win

every game that involved him turned into arch enemy and he still ended up winning. most of us ended up changing are decks to compete but it’s not as fun as it used to be. I play grimgrin now like a good dimir zombie player

How much land do you run?

I'll phrase it like this, I run a very expensive monoblue deck with nothing but basics, all the expensive ramp you can get, and mana fixing out the wazoo, and I still get mana screwed from time to time. A good deck can fix a mana screw, but it's just part of the game.

I played 3 games of commander yesterday with a 43 land omnath deck. I had lands out by turn 6 in two of those games. It’s bound to happen sometimes

Use and abuse the free mulligan, mulling down to 6 is still good because of the scry

>buddy getting back into edh is gifted the precon prossh deck since his cards were lost in move
>finally tunes it
>It's back to 2014
>we thought we'd never see prossh again
>have to break out old strategies cause nobody has shit to answer for prossh
>end up using my lazav copy illusion deck
>hasn't been touched since planeswalker commanders were just becoming a thing
>trick prossh into swinging at me and falling for illusionist gambit
>my turn rolls around and use reins of power to swap my board of nonfliers for his board of prossh and kobalds
>kill with his own commander
We all are going to start putting more spot removal into our decks again.The last 4 years have made us soft.
To the user that said we are bad for not running removal, we do run it. Just enough to take care of a crazy combo or two. Prossh really changed decks back it the day and since those decks got taken apart for being boring, we started cutting removal since there wasn't a threat of a prossh going off every 3rd turn

I run scarab god in my 99, and the instant reanimation from any graveyard is super useful for midgame politics, exiling my opponents reanimation targets, creating value out of smaller creatures, token shenanigans, surprise blocks, card advantage, and dual wincon going wide with zombies and doing upkeep damage. Plus as your actual Commander the high-ish cost to cast is offset by the option to return to your hand mid and late game. Decks built around scarab god may not quite reach cEDH levels but I don't see the card losing value.

>How long have you been playing EDH?

M15 release

>How many EDH groups do you play with?

I've played with 4, between the three shops I visit and my group of friends. I only really play with my friends though since the majority of us work together it is easier to set up than EDH at one of the shops

>How often do they still get together?

My friends and I try to meet up at someones house 1-2 times a month but its a great all day affair where we will go and get dinner, relax and catch up. Usually 4-6 people.

I am switching my GAAIV Superfriends and Taxes to Derevi Superfriends and Stax since I got a doubling season.

Going to take a few staples from a handful of other decks to piece it together.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/piecing-together-derevi-empyrial-tactician/

Is Inexorable Tide worth while in a deck like this? It seems a bit slow but it may be worth swapping for one of my 6-drop walkers to have more counters going up.

Getting Privileged Position would make taking Greater Auramancy from my Sigarda worthwhile and I could drop Darksteel Mutation and Norn's Annex maybe. How worth while is the spot protection?

I should add this is for a multiplayer playgroup and other decks it will face will be in the $300-$500 range.

Infinite combos but not tons of great tutors.

terrible

Simple answer is once again, talk to him like a human being and ask him to build another deck or tune the current one down. I don't see any situation where multiple people have to adapt their decks unwillingly just to accommodate one person that they obviously dislike.

Thats why I usually dont respond to those kind of posts.

For all we know he is the only one who isnt enjoying the arms race or is just someone who has no idea how to properly socialize.

My playgroup sets "tiers" (Low, Mid, High) and we pick which deck will give us the best games.

Tell him he's not allowed to play.

>Thread question
Shards of Alara - Scars of Mirrodin release

Just one, people come and go, but we only have one good LGS. Been with three groups overall. Don't do online anymore

Sometimes, we used to bump into one another randomly, now its on fridays mostly

How does my deck look so far edhg

Doing god's work, user.

I find that too many of my decks are tribal based, so I'm in the process of building up a Skullbriar deck.
Any spicy tips or tech?

Hey /edhg/

Looking for advice for my 5 color Zada deck, specifically for token generators and multicolor mana dorks that I've missed.

Mostly this deck is a Jeskai Ascendancy combo deck, but there are a whole bunch of different ways to go off, whether with Zada, the Nephilim, Intruder Alarm and a couple other spicy combos. I'm working on updating the list right now, as I've thrown in a whole bunch of spicy cards, particularly the land base.

By the way, Zada is not the commander, General Tazri is, who can handily fetch Zada for me. Kind of a stealth commander, which bites me in the ass sometimes but is pretty goddamn fun.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/5-colour-zadatazri/

Good afternoon /edhg/.

Building a UG deck (mid-power level), looking for draw/card fixing options that aren't Rhystic Study. Are cards like Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar and Primordial Sage reasonable to expect to be on board early or are they too overcosted even if I'm leaning heavily into Ramp/Big Mana?

Wtf.

Why don’t more people run this card?

>2.0
what the hell did 1.0 look like?

They are very expensive indeed, even for a ramp deck. More so than that, relying on single expensive spells to draw you cards might not be the best idea, especially when the two examples you have need you to cast more spells or draw more cards. Consecrated Sphinx is probably the best 6 drop for drawing cards imo. Could also try windfall and harmonize.

Bold.
I like it.

Nice

also Sylvan Library is very strong, inexpensive to cast and probably about as cheap in dollar value as it's going to get.

Kills your own

RTFC

I played with it a while. Too many times where I needed to kill a pair of 6/6s on the field in order to not die. Plus now my only deck that includes red is Maelstrom Wanderer, which wouldn't want that card.

"I cast Zurgo"
"Doom Blade"
"I cast him again"
"tap [thing], kill it"
"I cast him again"
"Counterspell"
"I cast him AGAIN"
"Rout"
"I CAST HIM AGAIN"

If your deck has white or black it's bad
If your deck has green or blue you're probably too busy jerking yourself off to wipe the board
If your deck is monored it's pretty good

So does every boardwipe, numbnuts

>Thread Q
I've been playing EDH for almost 2 years now, started a few months after I got back into the game with SOI block. I play with about 2 different groups of people, though there's some crossover. I play 2-3 times a week.

I think people usually play Blasphemous Act over Chain Reaction.

Who's the best commander for boardwipes.dec?

im playing yosei with 12 boardwipes rn, its very good at my high power meta

>5 mana counterspell

*yawn*

if you play at an LGS you should carry at least 1 tryhard or 1 griefing deck to deal with tryhards. i prefer the latter because a griefing deck is cheaper to build

Sheoldred
You use wipes while casting kill spells and etb creatures and not giving a shit about your stuff
Then you cast sheoldred until she sticks, can be very hard in multiplayer tho

Zurgo Boardwipe Tribal is apparently a thing but the single person I've seen mention it says it's boring as fuck

keranos
any black-based reanimator where you don't mind your board dying (kokusho, mimeoplasm)
mogis
erebos

why not boombaby?

Post your super spicy secret tech
This is great for killing tokens

I have an Aurelia the Warleader and a Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter deck that i haven't updated since the last Innistrad block. Aurelia is an aggressive token deck, and Vish Kal is a token+reanimation deck. Have there been any recent cards that jump out for those commanders?

>Pestilence is powerful, cheap, and perfect for my deck
>despise the ancient card frame and don't want to include it because it's ugly

Why must I be such a faggot

shit happens

>despise the ancient card frame

Does this count as super spicy secret tech in Feldon?

The old card frame looks best with black of all colors, you really do sound like a faggot

Give Pestilence a break. Your playgroup includes you in their table, afterall.
Besides, isn't the deck more fun the more it resembles yourself?

How much you pay for it?
Looking to get a mana drain but I don’t really wanna shell out 80

I cracked it. I bought 3 Iconic masters, 6 MM17 packs and cracked it, along with the Verdant Catacombs, Marsh Flats, and Foil Ancestral Visions I posted in my last picture.

Unless you're a canadanon like me, it's only $64.99 according to MTGGoldfish. This is as low as it's going to get, before it slowly climbs like Mana Crypt did.

How come there aren't any creatures with Persist on Mazirek's EDH page?
I thought they go infinite with him if you have a sac outlet?

Because he's in a precon. This is known as the "Kaalia effect", where very strong cards are utterly swamped by the nonsense dickshins spam on tappedout.

Hey guys! I was in a thread a few days ago, but I didn't get a lot of replies so we'll try again.
I built Oros recently, and I'm looking for suggestions, pretty much any suggestions at all at this point.
For refrence, all of the creatures in the deck are white or white/x.

Looks like you need a bevy of spot removal. Here are some good picks:

Bone Shredder
Doom Blade
Go for the Throat
Hero's Downfall
Malicious Affliction
Murder
Reckless Spite
Ruinous Path
Shriekmaw
Wicked Pact

Seems decent enough to trigger some Enrage.

>aurelia
It's a Boros deck, so nothing substantial.

>vish kal
Orzhov Vampires is a theme in Ixalan block.

user, if you want my old Marchesa Stax list I can dig it up and give it to you. It'll make everyone hate you, but that's the point.

Why are tokens so expensive

Because some of them were printed only once. Which tokens are you after?

Cause people never get rid of them.
If you need tokens, just make some

>For refrence, all of the creatures in the deck are white or white/x.
I mean that's certainly one way to build Oros, but I've wondered about others. Have you considered going for a grindier, sacrifice oriented approach? Lots of on death triggers combined with stuff like Martyr's Bond and Grave Pact.

I have considered it, but w/x good stuff is my preferred method.
However, do you have any suggestions for a deck like you mentioned? I'd be interested to hear it.

Just make your own.
Make sure to use the most cutesy anime images you find.

honestly thats as much thought as I've given it. I'd just slot in as many on death triggers as possible with some hatebears on the side. You could use Eight and a Half Tails to protect synergy creatures like Blood Artist.

nope. chances are you could just play a better card. zombify is 1 more mana, and you get the creature permanently. unless you have a heavy reanimator meta, it's shite pal

>copy Rite of Replication 3 times, kicked
>on a Precursor Golem

Post 'em

Karona is my pride and joy, an absolute treat in any game. As the for the rest, well I love tribal decks but I'm probably going to deconstruct at least one and refocus around something less creature/themey.

>thinking about pulling a box of masters
Eternal or 2017?
Or should I wait to see what masters 25 has?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-01-18-dusk/

First post was probably a better deck desu

I play in a group that is very political. I don't play politics innately, but the table sometimes forces me into it. Though the kind of "ploys" I use are just based around reading the boardstate. For example, someone will say "user is the biggest threat! Look at all of the lands they have!" even though all I have on my board are said lands, most of which are tapped, and my hand has maybe 4 cards in it. My counterargument is "Well, yes I do have a lot of lands, but the person that just pointed that out has even more lands, mana rocks and utility, and an Ugin that's about to ult. You can hit me, but if you do, they will win." To which I outline how the player with Ugin will use their artifacts to maximize their draw, ult with Ugin and win. Sure enough, the other two players choose to hit me. The following turn, the Ugin ults and the play goes to the fucking letter how I described it.

Am I doing something wrong here? The player who chose to hit me first had a Maze up and could have easily won if they hit Ugin because the Ugin player had one attacker.

I think the people you play with are just retarded
or you're an asshole and people want you out of the game

The deck I was playing that game was a lifegain deck with no infinites, which I announced as we shuffled since one of our players was really new. I think mine was actually the only non-combo deck at the table.

The scenario I described in the last post has happened for several games now. I think the politics is getting in the way of their threat assessment.

Should I add any cards that also combo with these cards in simic? (Budget, no Palinchron lol)

>or you're an asshole
>it's a lifegain deck

>with no infinites
>the only non-combo deck at the table

Sounds like there are some personal issues involved.
Are either you or the Ugin guy an "outsider" in this group?

You might expect people to always target the outsider first, but i have a friend who always tries to fuck with me first before any outsider, maybe because he knows my deck, or maybe because he'd rather lose to an outsider than to me.

Sounds like you are a whiny asshole (likely, since you are complaining about this on a Chinese basketweaving forum) or you have a punchable face.

To stop having a punchable face, I would stop getting so upset over these kinds of things. Keep up bants for sure, but don't lose your cool or be upset when people do things like that. Because that makes people want to keep doing it to get a rise out of you. It's casual fun with no prizes, so don't be surprised if people find it more fun to watch you chimp out instead of winning.

no, we're all close friends.

Then your friends enjoy messing with you more than the other guy.

>I have names for my EDH decks

did you not read the card thats one of the best counters in the game

>Spending hundreds of dollars and hours creating/tweaking decks is fine
>naming your decks is neckbeardish

Greentexting this makes it seem like a joke but I have a feeling you're serious

yeah its fun to name things

I tried stealing your style because it's the best looking off all these shitty post your deck pics but it looked too pretty to add text.

I'm pulling apart my meren and scarab god decks to make a sidisi brood tyrant deck. What are some obligatory and/or over performing cards in sidisi?

Post your Edgar list, my vampure brktber

you're missing Bloom Tender, who is probably the best mana dork in 5-color-Zada. Kinda Expensive though. Noble Hierarch is also good, but again kind of expensive. Avacyn's Pilgrim makes white. Can use Gemhide Sliver and Manaweft Sliver to make any color.

I would run more of the untap cantrips, even if they cost more than 1 mana. Twitch and Refocus are the big ones.

Here's my list for comparison:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zada-tazri-1/?cache=2018-01-30 18:12:06.295192

Three years, give or take.
My housemates primarily
Once a week, give or take.

>he still runs Eddie
>not Vampire Hunter D