GOTHIC FANTASY

Come hither and post gothic fantasy.
>what is gothic fantasy OP?
Refer to glorious pic. related for an excellent summary. Let's get the ball rolling and explore this under-appreciated sub-genre.
Post pics, stories, experiences, or ideas you have.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_Garnier
knightsoftheblacklily.com/setting/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'll get the ball rolling with some reference images I've gathered for a setting I'm working on

Going to post some landscapes too

Last few

Ending with grizzled looking infantry-men

boop

my gothic fantasy is lulu from ffx

This thread doesn't deserve death.

Gothic is great, deserves more attention. I've always wanted to play in a gothic fantasy game anyway.

Man I love classic werewolves and vampires. IMO the best way to do them is to just look at the old folk-stories surrounding both and utterly disregard modern pop-culture regarding them. Some of the old stories from Germany surrounding werewolves are horrific.

Replying to my own comment: Gilles Garnier is a case of old wolf-lore and is absolutely horrendous and great inspiration for say the PCs to hunt down in a campaign.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_Garnier

What are some good gothic novels to get a feel of the genre?

The best ones are the classic novels like Dracula, Carmilla, Wuthering Heights, Frankenstein, The Monk, Castle of Ontranto, etc. These were the OGs, and really give you the flavour because they invented it.
For entry level watch Bram Stoker's Dracula, it's a great adaption. You can also find a great audiobook version with Tim Curry on Youtube. Solomon Kane also seems like good entry / cheese - level gothic but I've never read any.

Don't forget Varney the Vampire :^)

I'm in the process of publishing a dystopian black fantasy RPG set in a fantasy world ruled exclusively by malicious and bored gods who play with mortals for their sport. Taking a double hit, the players play as wandering social pariahs, struggling to find their place in a hostile and bleak fantasy world.
>knightsoftheblacklily.com/setting/
To anyone interested, please feel invited to subscribe to the newsletter, you can tailor it to how many updates you want to get.

So, grimdark is when you say "X did nothing wrong" ironically, while gothic is when you say "X did nothing wrong" earnestly?

Also Legacy of Kain is fucking amazing. 10/10 setting.

So, what's your opinion on technology in gothic fantasy?

Rusted mechanisms, smoke-spewing pipes, vast catacombs full of strange machinery?

So how's this?

Party start as nobodies in a dark country, where nights are ruled by the Dark Priest the bbeg using his sun hating, unstoppable creatures.
Party find upgradeable holy-cross-guard weapons and aided by their power, they journey across the land, helping and recruiting people with the Priest's dark castle as the goal.
There are also four monster generals, a vampire that becames a hotblooded rival, beach episode, kind hearted daughter of the bbeg and a vague feeling that the Dark Priest's action might be somewhat justified.

Anime/10.

This thread might be interested in Annalise, it's an RPG which sells itself on recreating gothic horror novels in terms of narrative. I've never had the chance to play it since my group don't like this sort of thing but it seems interesting.

properly pulling off gothic fantasy takes a delicate touch and a bit more emotional nuance than i suspect most people are capable of, but when it is done well it is a beautiful thing.