/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General:

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/:
>>/57698084

Arcana expectations?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/958444712473571328
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Food and provisions

/5eg/ will be disappointed

twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/958444712473571328

MEARLS

Why would anyone in the right mind watch an hour of Mearls being his regular self?

IT'S HIS TIME NOW

I'm trying to provide a classic D&D experience for my party, what should my campaign include to give them that shared experience?

The Curse of Strahd module.

Actual thread:

Gonna agree here. Curse of Strahd is THE DnD adventure.

Kill yourself and spare us the trouble.

I'll third this one

Disappointment, user, nothing but disappointment.

Well, at least you're not pretending the thread isn't a gag.

Expecting nothing helps.

Has anyone used the Downtime Revisted rules?
I just tried them out, and carousing was pretty dope.

>Arcana expectations?
Little to none

Don't worry WotC always finds a way, but a man can dream.

I'll have to check those out, forgot those even existed.

My players decided to do "Money for nothing" routine with Pit Fighting. I've told them I'll allow it, but they'll regret it.

>inb4 don't be such a passive-agressive bitch, user
One of the players is my DM in the main campaign, and I'm tired of him trying to pull shit that he would never, ever allow.

Out of the Abyss is the best 5e module.

I use them quite a bit. My players have downtime between almost every adventure, and that's when they level up.

What kind of actual folklore have you implemented in your games, style?

I love things like this and would like to get some nice recommendations to read up on.

>"Money for nothing" routine
Are they rigging the outcomes? Or just enjoying how easy it is to win money in Pit fighting?

So what the fuck is the big deal? More often than not there's been two /5eg/s and that's how generals get banned. What the fuck is the big deal about Shad's shitty art?

Give them a curveball by having a really BUFF dude come up against them in the pit fight. You could even start up a new subplot involving some gladiator style shit.

>>inb4 don't be such a passive-agressive bitch, user
You have to be the better man. Don't combat That Guy by becoming That Guy.

Veeky Forums, we're looking to introduce systems into our game that allow us us to game with of combat resources. By this, I mean my players want to do trade, shops, item crafting , politics, castle building, army building, renown and honor.

Instead of tacking on systems to D&D wholesale, I was thinking of homebrewing feats that allow a PC to partake in that trade. A blacksmithing fear allows item crafting, a nobility one would grant a PC a title allowing them to own land that would give them some small combat advantage (minions, base of operations?).

Any thoughts?

It's shad shit, that alone is enough to hate it. Also the blatant attempts to advertise with a link to shads site, then DnD will have shown it's a troll throwing a fit that pf got kicked in the teeth and forced to become Paizo general.

The poster has had several threads deleted, gotten banned, setting a precedence that the mods agree with the majority of 5eg.

>But a man can dream
>A man

Ugh, I thought we left those gendered phrases in the dustbin of history. It’s 2018, c’mon.

So what's PF's deal? What happened to it to make people so damn bitter?

Because he's a paid shill advertising

It's a shit edition and they're too autistic to stand the thought of anything being better.

PF became Paizo General because Starfinder can’t stand on its own, it’s basically the deadbeat brother supported by the STEM NEET brother.

Starfinder came out and everyone hated it because it still used 3e's awful mechanics but didn't appeal to pathfinderfags because it was sci-fi and thus not in the extremely narrow niche of what they think is acceptable.

Pathfinder general is now paizo general, and those idiots need to share a room with other idiots they don't like.

Why require a feat? If you absolutely must have a written character feature to justify it, that's what backgrounds and skills are for.

>that allow us us to game with of combat resources

I'm not really sure what this means

Forced merger with other Paizo game generals. Petulant children being children.

Alright 5eg, I wanna be RAD.
I'm sick of playing casters and I wanna smash shit.
I've had my eye on Storm Herald Barbarian and Drunken Master Monk
Which lets me do the coolest shit while also dropping big numbers?

Here, I'm giving (you) attention. Feel better?

Pathfinder’s gone from acceptably bad to “every new book is a travesty.” People are looking through the shit and only finding corn kernels when we used to find gold nuggets. The system was on life support for the longest time by third-party additions yet those aren’t working anymore.

Keep in mind that feats are expensive, and that they come at the cost of ASIs. In pointbuy in particular, it will be rarely worth it for a player to invest a feat into strictly noncombat utility outside of certain feats (Actor or Observant, though both have potential uses in combat). Unless your campaigns are very combat-light or you have an everyone-gets-a-noncombat-feat-1st-level rule, I doubt the feat will be very popular.

Barbarian, monk is not about big damage numbers.

My reasoning for all of this:
Accept fate /5eg/.

>Mearls pretending he actually plays 5e again
Why does he continue on with this farce?

Ain't nothing bigger than a pally crit, but if you want to be a barb I would go zealot and NEVER DIE

But monks do roughly the same damage for the middle of the game.
Behold, comparisons.
Level 7 drunken master does 4d6+20 on a flurry of blows, while level 7 storm herald (desert for the sake of the scaling) does 4d6+37 with great weapon master, 4d6+17 without.

Thanks for admitting it, now the mods and janitors know you're just shitposting and have a reference to prove it.

Having the world be nonreactive is also bad. If they're handily dominating a local fight ring people will either look for someone to trounce them for the better prize money, or stop fighting them.
Why would people keep throwing money away or getting their ass kicked for nothing? There's no sense to it. If everyone bets on the PCs and they win then *nobody* makes money and the crowd gets a free show. At the very least the people running bets would have a vested interest in finding a ringer.

And at that point that's not passive aggression, that's a small adventure tying them to the town. Which is a good thing.

>hey guys, look, here's where I admit to intentionally violating content quality/'no shitposting' rules for also-against-the-rules meta-commentary reasons
This is some masterful shit, right here. Good job.

Stop immitating me user. I did not write this, it was some butthurt WOTC cultist who thinks that 5e is better than Pathfinder (which is false btw).

What GWM weapon uses a d6 for damage?

I sure hope you're not playing your cleric as some meek heal-bitch, /5eg/.

>start in a tavern
>blacksmith's daughter kidnapped by goblins
>goblins have awoken some undead
>various local quests link back to undead
>lich bbeg
>encounters with gelatinous cube, rust monster, medusa

there's more, but i can't think.

Greatsword dummy. Barb only gets two attacks.

Unless they're PAM in which case they get up to four attacks, three gauranteed attacks. Even base GWM gets a pretty good chance at a bonus attack considering things, and let's not get started on reckless attack.
Nice try, monk.

First ever game of dnd 5e coming up this weekend, I will be playing a hippie paladin:
>Neutral Good
>Oath of ancients
>Worship Chauntea
>Aim to build a social justice tank, hippie from the 60's in a platemail style

Any tips on how to make the character fun to play? I have read in to the class but as it is my first time playing some more info on build etc. won't hurt.

user I said Storm Herald. You use your bonus action as a storm herald constantly. Pole Arm Mastery doesn't work with it.
Plus PAM has less cool weapons than the big fuckoff sword.

>How to make the character fun to play
>Making a hippy from the sixties
Come up with a different character.

Don't have any advice for you, but here's this token - in case you're playing online.

That doesn't matter though when you're trying to compare numbers against numbers. It's not about what is cool but what is best user, stop trying to fudge it so the results support your claim. Either do it right or not at all.

But I like hippies from the sixties user. I think they are groovy. Also I was asking more about the technical things like combat builds and funny shit I could do.

Thanks, we will be playing live with a hangover after a friends birthday party. Will still save that for future use.

What's the most MAD build possible?

Oh, right, allow me to address that.

You've managed to pick two of the shittiest archetypes in the game
Well done, you really do suck at this.

also, if you're playing Storm Herald, use a maul. 2d6 damage still, but also

>thunder & lightning
>hammer
>burly rageman

>up to four attacks
Assuming you mean PAM's d4 and GWM's cleave, still only three--they both take your bonus action.

Monk and paladin

Oh excuse me. PAM (2d10+1d4+21 average 33.5) versus monk flurry (4d6+20 average 34) versus GWM with fire damage (4d6+37 average 54)

>Glaives
>Not cool

take one level in every class.

Every round, roll a d6:
>1. Attack with handaxe in right hand
>2. Attack with short sword (finesse) in left hand
>3. Use your Dragonborn breath weapon
>4. Cast a Wizard spell or cantrip
>5. Cast a Druid spell or cantrip
>6. Cast a Bard spell or cantrip

>on an even roll, use Monk's Unarmored Defense that round
>on an odd roll, use Barbarian's Unarmored Defense that round

Monk, paladin and wizard.

PAM very often gives you a reaction attack.

Thank you, it's all I ask for but in all honesty make a character that sounds really fun to play then pick a class that fits.

If someone walks within 10 feet of you. Please remember you actually won't get the PAM reaction if they move from 10ft to 5ft to stab your ass.

user that's why I'm asking. I've been trying to decide between the two all day.

What are some useful druid spells that actually require a spell attack roll and aren't cantrips

Well then what is character, if you got that figured out then share it.

Just don't stay within 10ft of them after attacking them.
Just walk up to them, attack, then move 5ft back. It's not quantum physics.

>drunken master
>shittiest
Unless there's some insane synergy people finally realized exist between grasp of the north wind and fists of the fire snake + flurry, I'm fairly certain Drunken Master is the second best monk available, if not third behind open palm.

I really like Thorn Whip and Flame Blade honestly. Thorn Whip has bad damage but is a fun way to manipulate the battlefield, Flame Blade is pretty good damage in my opinion, especially if you hold a shillelagh in your other hand.

Unrelated, is the UA coming the 5th or the 12th? I thought it was the 5th my birthday but that's the first Monday, right?

Man who found his center, after a life as a pit fighter, in the cold north and uses his past experiences to help track down the bastard that kidnapped an innocent from his new life.

barbarian is all about dropping big numbers whenever it lands a juicy crit. zealot is probably the best archetype if you just want consistent damage; at higher levels it becomes nigh unkillable. otherwise, go for ancestral guardian or totem warrior, they make you pure tank.

I already have a staff of the woodlands which I use as a quarterstaff for melee which is why I'm looking for spell attack rolls to capitalize on the +2 to spell attack rolls the staff gives me

12th. Sorry user. Have a happy birthday anyway!

I just don't like Zealot unfortunately. The level I'm gonna be playing at I don't think I'll be seeing the "nigh unkillable" parts anyway.

Monk, OoA is much more about spreading joy and protecting people in general.

We're thinking along the line of fantasy craft, where not all PCs have great combat stats, but everybody contributes in a fight nonetheless.

A feat would serve to lower a PC's direct combat level (one less ASI/combat feat), give them a major utility boost, and give small contribution to a fight.

These feats would be dense tho and include a whole new game play mechanic onto themeselves. An example.I'm working on would include:

Master of Assassins
You attain a lofty rank within an assassin organisation.
*You have a contact in any named settlement you visit.
*Once per long rest, you can name one target. The next time you are involved in combat with the target, they begin the fight with missing HP. The missing HP is equal to a number of d10s times your Proficiency bonus.
*You can craft particularly potent poisons.
*After studying a target for at least 1 hour, you can make an insight check against the target's Will. On a success you may ask the DM a yes or no question regarding the target.

I have to work out language and such, but you get the picture.

you can't make an attack with flame blade and shillelagh in the same turn

What?
Drunken master is pure shit, if only because of the level 3 ability. The level 3 ability is the key defining ability.
>Level 3
>You get a shittier mobile, which is a crutch in the first place
>Your fast monk can go even faster, for what little good that's supposed to do, if they spend ki
>They also get to disengage, which they could have done with ANY open hand monk level 3 ability on flurry of blows in the first place, by use of grapples, teammates, shadow monk's darkness, teleport, among various things that can get you out without needing to disengage
>Level 6
>Extremely situational ability, compared to teleportation or sanctuary
Then at level 10 there's a shitty addition to the monk's ability to already reroll saves with the fact they already have proficiency in all saves and evasion
And at the very later levels the 'gotta go fast' AoE punch

>Mechanics are basically just 'sanic monk'
>It's just a downgrade from open hand monk
>It's just a downgrade from open hand monk?
>Main ability doesn't offer anything unique, but rather something that's a part of a feat in the first place

It's not hard to have a good monk archetype considering they're all pretty much shit aside from shadow / open hand monk.

Drunken master is the swashbuckler of monks, except it doesn't get nice boons like at-will charm person and bonus initiative. It's the newbie 'I want to learn to kite' build that doesn't need you to think.

>player constantly wants to play homebrew classes from DMs guild
>if he cant he wants to play one of the two UA classes
>if he cant he wants a UA subclass
>if he cant he just picks wizard

why. why cant people just play with the toys in the box?

Open Palm gets a heal at 6, not sanctuary.
Also Drunken Master's flurry move does the Open Palm Method breakaway without forcing a save (which can fail even after the hit) and getting the exact same distance from a potential greater mob of enemies.

This thread is egg approved.

Allow him UA stuff, but only the shitty ones like Artificer.

Hello /5eg/ this is user with bag of holding (BoH) + Acid idea. I'm using that tactic in my last season and here how it goes:
My PC is a 6th level alchemist artificer, he start stockpiling acid (vial), it takes around a week and 10,000 gp to collect 400 of them. Then he take Tarrasque hunting quest, none of other party want to partake of course, so he's doing it alone. He shove all of the acid into BoH and ride the eagle into the battle.
Long story short, my PC hover above the Tarrasque, point the bag down and turn it inside out, spilling all it’s content at the same time (looks like my DM forget about this feature and expect me to throw the acid one by one like my PC usually do). DM paused for a bit, then explain the acid burst into cone shaped spray and not all of them hit Tarrasque, but still more than enough to melt its middle body.
Now my character is suddenly at level 15, 40,000 gp richer with lot of magic item and can wear almost all of them at the same time.
At the end of session, DM said i can actually play normally and hurl Alchemical Acid while flying. (I know after a while DM will give Tarrrasque a flash of inspiration and have that thing throw boulder at him)
The class is very unpolished though.

Because he wants to play special snowflake class that none of the other players are familiar with

other thread is dead

yaaaay

Begone tripfag.

>Open Palm gets a heal at 6, not sanctuary.
Oh, right, yes, they do. It's such a boring feature I forgot about it. It's not great, but it's at least always useful.

>Without forcing a save
Taking away enemy's reaction doesn't take a save.
If the enemy is stunned, they don't get a save, but that's another point - Why don't you just spend that ki to stun the enemy so you don't have to worry about all of this in the first place?
If instead you flurry of blows, knocking the enemy prone is almost as good as them not getting a reaction attack + slows them by usually at least 15ft (which also helps prevent them from targetting teammates and allows teammates to get 5ft advantage on them) and the push gets the same distance while also autodisengaging, which can not only be potentially combined with the prone for up to -10ft -halfmovementft the enemy away from the party (instead of letting the enemy attack your friendly paladin) but also can be used to knock them into all sorts of hazards.

If you get into melee where nobody else in the party could be attacked in melee and you weren't planning on trying stuns until the enemy is stunned, you should have just used a fucking bow.

Then I'll just have to post in this one then :^)

Why is /5eg/ so shit compared to /pfg/?

Anyone ever tried out Rune Wizard? It looks like it has the possibility to be interesting but I'm not sure.

But there isn't a /pfg/ anymore user

Unlike avatar posting, using a tripcode is not against the rules.
This board should have poster ID in the first place.
Either way, this thread gets "Egg's Shadless Seal of Approval"