An LGS announced that they are no longer hosting MtG tournaments due to Wizard's new policy for stores to do background...

An LGS announced that they are no longer hosting MtG tournaments due to Wizard's new policy for stores to do background checks on all employees. They also state that attendance for their tournaments are at an all time low.
Don't know if it's the beginning of something but it's not a good look for Wizards.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/7u37gk/lgs_stops_hosting_mtg_due_to_new_screening_policy/
youtube.com/watch?v=MS91knuzoOA
youtube.com/watch?v=GJNzj1qe1zc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Go away Jeramey. Nobody cares

dude that sucks, tell me what store it is so I know to avoid them in the future

>anyone who disagrees with WoTC is an internet troll
I hope I live to see the day that Wizards and Hasbro burns to the ground.

Dude that's awesome, tell me what store it is so I know to frequent them in the future

reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/7u37gk/lgs_stops_hosting_mtg_due_to_new_screening_policy/
Getting your news from Reddit again, Jeremy?

>Wizards of the Coast already has what we believe to be, good policies in place to ensure safe environments for players.
That comma is reason enough to never give that store my money, anyway.

>making a typo is a reason to never buy their products
Do you also not eat any fast food? Or shop at supermarkets?

LGS or rape dungeon

background checks are the new normal, OP

I've had this song in my head all day thanks to these threads

youtube.com/watch?v=MS91knuzoOA

Jeremy leave pls

"Drive-thru" is actually recognized as an alternate form, and thus technically correct. Not sure what you mean about supermarkets.

>we've been asked to have people who might work around minors background checked like other businesses with a duty of care to minors
>OH SHIT WE CAN'T DO THAT

so how many sex offenders do they hire i wonder

youtube.com/watch?v=GJNzj1qe1zc

>3/4th of all Just By Chance Games events are Magic: The Gathering related.
>"Background checks are inconvenient to us, so we're going to drop one of our biggest sources of income"
This is an extremely retarded business decision.

Considering MtG is the bread and butter of most LGS, they'll probably be out of business soon.

Wizard's new policy is asinine. it basically requires the store foots a background check for anyone involved in ANY tournament at the store. So if you wanna let someone host a 40k tournament on a tuesday evening, they need a background check too

>so how many sex offenders do they hire i wonder
Probably none, since that'd be a death sentence for a game store.

Since it takes tens of thousands of dollars to do background investigations for security clearances, it's absolutely reasonable to me that a store would drop Magic. They might go out of business more slowly, but having to pay for background checks gets too expensive very quickly. Obviously, national security is a completely different world; but the private inspector types that specialize in this don't come cheap.

We aren't talking about security clearances. A normal background check costs

Well done on them for realizing that this change came around purely because of a disgruntled internet troll with a vendetta.

>tournament attendance is low
Yeah but how are his SALES? That is what matters. If people are still buying product but not showing up to events, maybe they don't care for the environment he's got going on, but he's the easiest place for them to buy cards they then use elsewhere.

Wizards doesn't care. The idiots in charge there would rather force game stores to foot the bill and kill of any interest in their product than paying up themselves and actually doing their goddamn jobs. It's gonna be fucking hilarious when they start asking themselves why tournament attendance is nonexistant soon

Hahaha, it’s great, Wizards is at Marvel’s phase now where accounting for one gaffe attracts so much shit from both ends of the political spectrum and everyone ends up losing.

That move to pander to feminists et al in a bid to create a “diverse, inclusive safe space” sure has paid off.

Then again Wizards doesn’t give a shit about LGSes anymore do they? Business with Target and Walmart is their new primary target.

Still a bit absurd, seeing as if they're THAT cheap, the multi-billion dollar corporation should be footing the bill

That's a different case to be made, though I think it's weird that anyone would be surprised that a multi-billion dollar corporation would try to externalize any cost it think it can get away with. The corporate suits are not your buddies and they aren't trying to help you.

>the multibilllion dollar corporation not trying to make multibillion-plus-1 dollars

Pssh, have you seen how much contempt Wizards has for LGSes? I’m surprised they’re not demanding the stores do >100 dollar check fees that are “conducted to WotC standards” so they can pocket some middleman change

It's getting absurd at this point. I can only pray that it comes back to bite them in the ass

Shouldn't game stores that work with children and often have children left alone there to browse already have background checks on employees? Even without WotC policy, they are working with children and should likely be doing so.

It has; it spawned a counterculture. That anti-left counterculture will be curated, just like the diversity train. Illuminati being 2 steps ahead my guy

Running a background check on potential employees is good policy just in general.

Yeah but doubly so when your job is 'Sell stuff to children' and 'Watch over children playing games'.

Yeah, I don't understand why an lgs would stop holding events just because they have to run background checks on people working there. Shouldn't they be running background checks on employees anyway? What's going on behind the scenes at this store?

Because LGSs are often unprofessional and strapped for cash because it's a volatile business

No, no, but you're all missing the point! This change is wrong because a literal Jeremy went out of his way to point it out and Jeremies are wrongthink and their ways are fascist so we SHOULDN'T do the check.

Also Wizards has been treating us like shit and we don't make money off MtG anyway so why even bother?

t. Storeowners

Who's Jeremy?

It's almost like they get started by hobbyists who just like playing games instead of responsible businessmen who know what they're doing. That can't possibly be right though.

Youtube neckbeard who got banned from the game, because he did Youtube neckbeard things. The salt has flowed ever since.

Sounds to me like the salt flows from all ends of the spectrum, based on this letter OP posted.

And that's good. We live off the butthurt.

Oh yeah, that guy. I had completely forgottwn about him.

Wait, people still care about that?

I feel like people who start restaurants, which is an incredibly risky business, have better game plans for turning a profit than LGS owners.

I think it's hard to make a profitable business out of it without paper crack. Board games and RPGs are bad widgets tbqh, because they take up a lot of inventory space and they are almost designed to not bring repeat customers. That once you have them, you get your friends at a kitchen table and entertain yourselves.

Oh totally, somehow we've decided to immortalize his name as the banner of the alt-right, fascist troll that liberals crave nothing more than to eradicate from the face of the Earth; thereby ensuring no one actually forgets his name for a while longer.

He's the new byword for anyone bitching about MtG's policies online.

Like how, back in the day "Shut up, Ward" was the phrase to back people who were defending dumb new 40k fluff.

Does anyone else feel like the world is actively trying to systematically destoy everything you actually enjoy?

It really does depend on the LGS. An LGS run by someone who knows what they're doing and one run by someone who doesn't are like night and day.

What's the policy now? Each individual LGS has to check everyone who touches the event, volunteer and employee alike, on their own dime to remain sanctioned? The fact it's not put in a Wotc database is retarded (even though I barely trust them securing it over my LGS)

You're correct, which is why stores that only sell board games are pretty much nonexistent and any LGS that isn't corporately owned is going to sell card games. It's also why they will sell things besides games (e.g. food and drink).

>Unironically enjoying things

That's where you're behind the curve, friendo, these days you should enjoy something you like with some amount of schadenfreude to it, knowing you're upsetting someone in the process. I for one make it a point to support and patronize games, comics and media that portray women in a problematic manner that panders to the male gaze because firstly, it panders to my gaze and brings me satisfaction, and secondly, it pisses the hell out of prudish, puritan liberals. Remember Kotaku and Dragon's Crown?

I wonder how myopic/foolish it is to set up a Magic cafe, I know board games cafes exist and indeed do make good money, but what if I put a good amount of focus (say, 40-70% of products and/or events) on MtG while serving up teas and brunch omelets and smoked salmon and cake.

Incredibly foolish. But, I'm just hipster enough to support it.

Focus on the food.

There's a craft beer bar by my place which has been going for over 5 years at this point. They've set themselves up more or less as a boozy Starbucks. Among other things, they have boardgames which you can play there. But they are a craft beer bar first and foremost. If the food and beer were shit, nobody would come there to play board games.

It depends on your area. You would actually have to do market research, see if there's a demand for it and if that demand is already being met by other stores.

Probably has more to do with the sorry state of standard and the constant necessary bannings desu.

After he got banned, he went to the effort of looking at the publicly-available Sex Offender list published by the government, compared it to the list of Magic judges, noticed that there were a bunch of names in common between the two of them, and started kicking up a stink about it.

I think it’s a brilliant move, his next gambit should be to try and contrive instances of transphobia and homophobia in the MtG community and coerce Wizards to take action in a similar manner, and then watch people get angry about how he’s defending trans and homosexual communities.

What is the point of requiring background checks to run a card game tournament? Is embezzlement and fraud an issue in some of these small time tourneys or something? I don't play MTG so I am not sure.

>ten items or less
>ten items or fewer

This. Wizards has big box retailers, the Internet, and now Arena and will be raking in cash until the end of time. LGS's dying was going to happen inevitably in the modern world now that people have other avenues for MTG.

Despite what people might protest its just a childrens card game, Hell im surprised some stores have operated this long without running background checks on employees.

So you are a brain dead 12 year old that buys games not because you think you enjoy playing the games but because you think buying it will hurt the SJW boogeyman. You are not any better than the boogeyman you think you are fighting.

Did you even read? It first and foremost brings me enjoyment. If it didn’t I wouldn’t buy it. It’s just that now, buying it has the additional benefit of pissing people off. I prioritise enjoying things above pissing people off, I’m just advocating that the latter should be seen as incidental value in this day and age we live in.

>Oh shit! Anonymous McFuckwad bought a game I don't like! It really bothers me that some random douchebag who nobody gives a shit about bought a game I don't like

t.literally nobody

To stop convicted pedophiles from running card games that children might attend.

t. Kotaku, Jezebel, Polygon and every other nannying blogger that tries to tell me I shouldn’t buy a game because it’s art style goes against their narrow worldview.

Seriously read some of those article some time, the fact that some games even exists shakes them to their very foundation like it’s the most egregious thing they ever heard. And if I buy it, apparently I’m actively supporting endeavours that they deem wrong think. Check those places out some time. You’ll sing to my tune soon enough.

Go back to /v/ you mouth-breathing bottom-feeding tinhat redditor

You mean clickbait sites that throw out articles to make underage retards like you butthurt?

they're the closest thing /v/irgins have to "gaymes jornelism"

>like other businesses with a duty of care to minors
Since when have gaming stores had a duty to care for children?

How many children have been abused at or in relation to Magic the Gathering at local stores?

I ain’t butt hurt man, I’m happy. Every time I buy a game I’m happy. For a multitude of reasons. Why would I not try my best to be as happy as possible? That’s the exact opposite of what people like you and those click bait websites want me to be.

The only person who seems butt hurt here is you friendo. Have you tried enjoying things before? It’s more fun than you think.

Have you tried not being an asshole?

You can't even enjoy yourself without spiting someone

It's sad, really

Also

>butt hurt

If pedophiles were actually using Magic events to target children, it would have come up years ago and it wouldn't have been brought up by some random butthurt youtuber. This is a complete non-issue.
>childrens card game
It's not. At the absolute least it's a teenager card game, but it's still primarily played by adults.

Nah man, I’ve been on this Mongolian tapestry forum Long enough to know that no matter how innocently you enjoy something, someone’s bound to hate on it. As is the exact case right now. That being the case, my way of coping with it is to derive pleasure over the fact that my drive for pleasure has caused so much displeasure in someone else. That I find is the key to surviving in this judgmental, dichotomised era. Yes I am being an asshole. I enjoy being an asshole. It makes me happy in life. And when everyone else is trying to make you upset in life, shouldn’t you be the one to prioritise making yourself happy?

We all know that it’s not a child’s card game, but Wizards is still trying to peg it as such. Kinda like how they’re denying the existence of the secondary market. We all know the contrary is true, but they gotta keep up the illusion.

It does not sound like you are really happy seeing that you seem to get upset about some dumb sites saying mean things about some games and then go buy some game because you think it will somehow hurt those sites that you did not even need to go to in the first place.

>in this judgmental, dichotomised era

someone clearly wasn't around in the 80s

>Wizards is still trying to peg it as such
No, they aren't. They themselves rate it for ages 13+.
>denying the existence of the secondary market.
That's a legal issue. As soon as they acknowledge that different cards are worth more, then boosters are gambling.

Well, maybe I phrase wrong. English apparently isn’t my first language and I’ve been known to be bad at communicating. Maybe at some point I got genuinely upset that someone would tell me I’m doing it wrong. But we all live and learn and I’m past that now. They don’t anger me anymore. That’s what I mean to when I say I’ve adapted. Grown more resilient. Matured almost. No sense in getting angry anymore. Buy what makes you happy, and if it angers others, be happy at their misery. Isn’t that best in life?

Well 13+ still encompasses some underage individuals.

But not children at least in any meaningful sense of the word.

I was there in the 90s and the 00s and it feels like things have gotten more hateful since. Specifically things have gotten REALLY hateful since 2013-2014.

It is in the legal sense of the word, which is word enough to label someone a pedophile as I understand? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

No, it's better to not give a shit about what some clickbait site thinks about some game.

That is what every business and organization involved with children has to do. The only reason this has not been a thing before is WotC pushes all the responsibility for local play onto independent game stores which hide under the banner of being retail when they are also providing play space.

If tabletop and board game stores had a national retail chain like Gamestop is for video games they would have this policy independently of WotC requiring it because their corporate lawyers would require it for liability's sake.

Now that the problem has been exposed if WotC doesn't do something, the first time some kid gets diddled at a game store WotC is going to get sued into oblivion. WotC doesn't care about this, they care about liability. By mandating this the responsibility is back on the local game store.

>Wife runs background checks for volunteers and employees for a national organization involving children

I try that too. I give it an honest shot. Maybe I’m not wired that way, maybe it’s just that no matter how many SJWs I block I just can’t get their articles off my feeds. Whatever. Throw your stone. If you too were able to not give a shit, you wouldn’t have replied in the first place anyway.

>using legal definitions in general conversation
Stop being a fucktard. People only refer to teens as children when it's politically useful to do so (ie whenever a young white female disappears or a young black male commits suicide via cop).

If this was a real threat, Wizard's lawyers would have forced these background checks. You're full of shit.

I’ll have you know I’m Asian and I play MtG (possibly autistic? must investigate further) , the letter of the law is important to me.

They did, user. That's what the store mentioned in the OP was complaining about.

No, Wizards made a really stupid decision in response to some internet troll. If Wizards actually had any hint of culpability for potential predators are LGS's, Hasbro's lawyers would have intervened years ago.

That would be the case if Wizards is a competent company.
But they aren’t so here we are.

How is requiring background checks a stupid decision?

Wizards was never at any risk. That's the point.

Good. The sooner the LGS's die and we can play MTG in clubs or elsewhere the better. I don't get why retailers both to cling on to life so tightly when they have already been outcompeted.

>Wizards was never at any risk. That's the point.
Actually, in Australia, getting background checks on people who could be expected to work with children is *legally mandated*, with criminal charges and fines applying to both individuals and corporations that fail to do so. The government issues special Working With Children cards to the people who come up clean.

After I heard about the pedophile Judge scandal, and how WotC didn't require Judges to get background checks, I actually wrote to Australia's Head Judge requesting a clarification about their stance, and requesting that if it was true, that they begin requiring Judges to get their Working With Children checks done; I never got an answer back, but WotC announced their new policy before I got around to making a criminal complaint about WotC and the Judge Program's noncompliance with the law.

Bad for them as there are several other lgs that still offer sanctioned events, they'll lose a lot of business.

Something good that Australia does right? Man, I'm legit surprised.

Well Australia IS the country that cracks down on pedophilia so hard that some anime are banned there.

Wasting thousands of dollars to host an event that brings uh, 0 dollars is the REAL business decision