How to start with CoC

My group and I want to try out some CoC as a break from the usual D&D, but I have a couple of questions

- What is the best CoC module for beginners? I could write my own adventure, but I feel like I should use a module for our first game until we get comfortable

- Which edition should we use? I know there's massive differences between D&D editions, what's the difference between CoC editions?

Other urls found in this thread:

site.pelgranepress.com/trail/files/conversions/Edge of Darkness.pdf
blueelephantbrigade.com/images/Dave/CoC/Call_of_Cthulhu_5th_Edition.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Haunting scenario is great if you want to get people interested in 7th edition. It's free, too.

The haunting. It was literally made for that reason.

Okay, but I see its for multiple editions, which edition is best?

7th is the newest and least clunky
combat isnt a chore anymore
skills still work more or less the same, albeit having skills directly be in increments up to 100 instead of 20 x 5

I hate anything created by a company. Make your own rules, skills, settings, etc. Especially if you're going for a horror genre.
Take the time to craft your own system.

>I hate anything created by a company.
How are you even posting here?

I have a job and don't have time to handcraft my own system, nor do I have the experience to make a system that works properly

Please help me with my question instead .

Been running a 7th edition game with some collage friends who've never played RPGs before and they seem to understand the system, so i'd recommend that.

I'll probably run the 7e quickstart, the one thing I'm worried about is the players reading the module when they look up the quickstart rules.

The Haunting is the worst possible introduction to CoC. It has no Mythos elements and plays like a bad Scooby Doo episode.

Mansions of Madness or even Dead Man Stomp are far better.

>It has no Mythos elements and plays like a bad Scooby Doo episode

1. It has mythos elements: namely a old crazy man who can cast spells. If that's not lovecraft, I don't know what is

2. Call of Cthulhu is practically a bad scooby doo episode already, just much more bloody

Where would I find Dead Man Stomp?

Which Scenario in the Mansions of Madness is the best for beginners?

Did you design your own computer and code your own operating system? What about the web browser you used to access this site? The cables which transmitted your post?

Grab a copy of 'Clutching at Ignorance'. Weird Cultists, Scary Book, crazy Librarian, nasty Mythos monsters. All set int he city that has Lovecraft's grave. I used it as an intro and it worked great. (pdf share thread)

Should I play D20 Cthulhu or regular BRP Cthulhu?

Also: Are the scenarios in the 7th edition book good? Or is the 6th edition scenarios better?

Regular

Its not too hard to convert between them. 7th edition is the first time they actually brought tangible change to the system but its not insurmountable.

Do you make your own board games too?

Edge of Darkness is the best first Call of Cthulhu scenario to play, and a really good way to kick off new campaigns
site.pelgranepress.com/trail/files/conversions/Edge of Darkness.pdf
The Haunting is PURE TRASH

blueelephantbrigade.com/images/Dave/CoC/Call_of_Cthulhu_5th_Edition.pdf

EDGE OF DARKNESS is on page 225
DEAD MAN'S STOMP is on page 236

I'm working on a quick month project right now that could serve as a way to generate a decent CoC game premise.

I'm going through and rereading my current campaign backlog, and writing down each session and small notes of what's important to each. Mostly as a recap to myself to tie up the coming finale, but also because I am writing an alternate timeline for a single character that's been with them all game, detailing it out as a much nastier full-Mythos timeline, in the style of a brief once-a-session journal note piece of what's happening for them.

This way I get to scratch a kind of OC-creepypasta itch based on our own material, and give myself decent ideas for made-up encounters and alt or more Mythos-related takes on mostly already-supernatural stuff that's happened in the game - in the base game, all the Mythos elements have come in very gradually over the years, culminating for the finale.

Try this as a writing exercise technique with a previous game or games or yours, or even modules from other games, and see if it works out for a sort of 'feels eerily familiar' nightmare dream retake on old ground.