EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"No Time For Mercy" edition

Previous: >Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
What's the most unexpectedly hardcore commander you've played or faced? Not the known competitive options, but the seemingly janky chucklefuck that destroys anyway.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/c-e-p-h-a-l-i-d-s/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/blackened-4/?cache=2018-01-31 13:14:13.506798
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-omnath-locus-of-rage-edh-commander/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I almost built Taniwha, but settled on Aboshan instead, can I get some critique or advice for this deck?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/c-e-p-h-a-l-i-d-s/

~90 lands Tasigur met online, with no gravehate in our decks, he abused Zombie infestation, Creeping Reneissance, Sylvan Reclamation, Worm Harvest and some other cards into oblivion, not giving people options of what to recur

I've never really delved into the world of Control decks before. I've done Pillowforting but that's not really the same thing, I would think. I've settled on Phelddagrif as the commander mostly because I've never made a Bant deck before, and for the fact he has this established idea across players that whoever's playing him is gonna be the nicest guy at the table. What I'm thinking for the gameplan of the deck so far is

>Play the usual gameplan of helping people out first few turns with some howling mine-like effects, but toned down a bit (Not as the main focus of the deck)
>Wait for other players to wear themselves out, countering things that might go against me/play the politics game and help the guys in the back
>Throw on Helm of the Gods or some other tool to beef up Phelddagriff and swing, giving it flying or trample depending on the board

Basically I want to help in the early game, disrupt in the midgame, and smash face with a flying hippo in the lategame. The problem is I'm Timmy as hell and don't really know how to build control other than counterspells and stax effects. What're some spicy meatballs that a pleb like me who's only been seriously playing since Tarkir block might overlook?

Sylvan Reclamation?

Splendid Reclamation, obviously

The fact that you can give a lot of creatures for cheap to anyone is interesting, you should try to see cards that could help you make this a good investment, like Suture Priest, Essence/Soul Warden, Custodi Soulbinders and cards that trigger when a creature leave the battlefields since those 1/1 shouldn't stay alive too long.

Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper.
Didn't lose a game with the deck for about a month straight. Pact and Fecundity effects are retarded with him.

>Thread Question

Venser. Holy fuck, it's definitely Venser.
>that bitch has flash, meaning you can slap him down whenever, including mid combat after declare attackers, upkeep, endstep, literally whenever
>removes anything, including lands
>people are terrified to remove him because you can just cast him again
>people are terrified to block and kill him because you can just cast him again
>blinking him is both stupidly easy and stupidly strong
>requires zero effort to build around him, other than maybe panharmonicon
>bounces anything that isn't hexproof, making Timmy cry
>bounces enchantments and artifacts mid-combo, making Johnny cry
I wanted to swap him out for another commander for a while, but every time I try, I can't quite rationalize it. So far Arcanis is the only monoblue dude more interesting, but that bitch is 6 mana.

You forgot about the other key card for that deck, Treasure Hunt. I havent see this deck in commander before

>being surprised that Venser is good
>thinking Venser is a "seemingly janky chucklefuck"

For multiplayer he is.

It's more a deterrent than anything. As soon as you hit the required mana, everyone grips their cards a little tighter and plays around him, which is odd for a card that can only bounce one card.

Surrak Dragonclaw or Mayael? I have a finished Xenagod deck and want to branch out into a 3rd color while still having a beatdown game plan. Just wanted opinions on what y'all think is better

>thread question

fucking tymaret the murder king and his janky graveyard recursion 1/1 skull clamp stealy sacrificey shenanigans

>no gravehate in our decks
Literally why. I have gravehate in my deck, and I run Meren. Not having gravehate in edh is the same as not drafting removal.

One of the last games at our EDH night I bribed for Taniwha in my Zedruu deck while I was playing Dimir and our third was playing Sultai Sidisi.

Zedruu played that enchantment that makes you swap your Permanents that ETB with another that shares its type.

So I got taniwha and switched it with Zedruu when it ETBd and then the next turn used a Vizier of Many Faces to copy it and gave it to the Sultai player, then I made another copy with Phyrexian Metamorph.

Zedruu ended up using heliods ability to make tokens on my endstep and took all three of them back and swung at me for 21.

>all of the options for artifact shenanigans in red alone
I started working on Slobad and before a half hour had gone by I had a full 99 plus a ton of other card I want to put in it. How do you pair down the artifacts you want to have while leaving room for non-artifact stuff to cover the wholes a pure-artifact deck would leave? There are so many pet cards I want to run and possible combos to try, but I keep finding I lack room. I don't want to have to cut lands because anything below 34 lands feels like it's asking to get mana screwed if you don't get your ramp early. I've thought about going straight brown with Karn or Hope of Ghirapur, but I don't want to go without some of the neat stuff like Scrap Mastery or Goblin Welder. How do you artifactfags do it? I can't even begin to wrap my head around how U artifact decks would feel, let alone Breya with all of her options. Is U more linear artifact combo since they have all of the tutors?

>Thread Question

Janky as fuck, but basically mono-b artifacts. Vehicles Laughing mobile gairson.jpg gave him multiple outlets to tap himself the moment he goes live, while allowing the player to have creatures for free, but only when its advantageous for the player to have them. Add in mono-B mana generation and gold tokens, and it becomes draining to commit to removing king macar.

Its crazy how controlling this deck can get if you rely on creatures yourself.

Mayael for me, Surrak just doesn't look really interesting. The card is strong, sure, but it's pretty boring.

Do you have a tech user?

Not him, but aside from the Vehicle package, pic related is pretty good.

I wonder if he's worth giving him the reign over my monoblack deck and giving the reanimation package to a new BG I'm brewing

>Turn 1 Birds of Paradise
>Turn 2 Pili Pala
>Turn 3 Grand Architect, tap Birds to make Pili Pala go infinite mana. Play Diviner's Wand, attach it to Pili Pala, draw deck, play Laboratory Maniac, win.

I did this in a deck that cost $67, what's your excuse for spending $600 on that hunk of jank garbage you call a deck?

>for spending $600 on that hunk of jank garbage you call a deck?
Shiny promo cards to compensate for my small perfect fit sleeves

I get to play my deck more than once.

fun cards sometimes cost money

i bought an emrakul for my mimeoplasm deck only so that i could exile it to make my mimeoplasm super big

To FoW you Pili Pala and force-feed you shit with a really big spoon

>what's your excuse for spending $600 on that hunk of jank garbage you call a deck?
It was $180 and it can still win and function outside of god hands that won't happen more than once every 60 games.

>There are people who don't sleeve their deck using Carbon Fiber

>not using double-sleeve under PSA grading cases with all cards being clearly marked as gem mint 10
It's like you don't want to show off your bling.

Magical Christmas Land is always fun, isn't it? ^^

Probably been asked before, and probably will be asked again, but what's some good spicy stuff to include in my Edgar Markov? I've already got Annointed Procession and Cathar's Crusade from my Ghave Deck, but I'm new to Vamp Tribal otherwise.

>janky chucklefuck that destroys anyway
Zedru aura Voltron
Aka
Oops it's actually just a narset deck

I took Pili-pala from my Memnarch, because it's a shit card without Grand architect, which is a good card.

How's the weather in magical Christmas land

>No Aboshan's desire

Lmao what are you doing with your life

>Have only played commander once
>gotten rid of all my magic cards since
>still hang on this thread way too much and just build a bunch of decks on tappedout
>too scared to spend 100 dollars on a deck and sleeves and go to a game store to probably just meet people I won't like/won't like me and have a single awkward game before letting the deck gather dust
>don't want to be the wierdo creep who goes to a store without a deck to scope out who's there

You need four cards/99 to make that work

Your chances are minimal, you're just jerking off to an unlikely combo

>got rid of all your magic cards
Unless you had major life issues, you're going to regret this. A lot.

Just check their website, fight out when commander night is, show up with a precon, then determine the meta's power level.

I havent played either, but my advice
>Already have RG deck
>Want to branch
>Between RG-U or RG-W
We dont know your deck so
Can blue improve actual deck? cards synergy with Surrak?
Blue had counters, flying, control, draw, and Surrak at 5 turn
Can white improve actual deck? cards synergy with Mayael?
White had protection, first strikes, removal, life, Mayael at 3 turn but ability at 6 turn

When I first put Valakut into my Mina and Denn deck, I was worried it wouldn’t do enough work. I was so wrong. Hitting people for 6-12 Damage a turn that they can’t counter or do anything other than take is so great.

100 bucks ain't no thang

I had major life issues and needed the cash or would've just fucking starved to death when I sold mine and still regret it. You'll always regret it.

>don't want to be the wierdo creep who goes to a store without a deck to scope out who's there

Dude, just say that you were doing business near there, and didn't know about it and wanted to see the store. Find some people who are just looking through binders, or looking like they aren't doing anything important, talk to them like a normal person, and you might make some friends.

>They still haven't errata'd Valakut into a legendary land.

Only if the removed card is not a land. If it is a land then you are still restricted to the rules of the special action of playing a land.

Hey fag this is what you're gonna do

>Go to LGS
>Present identity that you're a new player to magic and that you're interested in starting in Commander
>Shop owner will probably shill you one of the C17 precons, go with Dragons because you're gonna ooh and ahh at the big 10/10 dragon on the box
>Have shopkeep rec you some upgrades within your budget, try to aim for like $20 worth
>Grab a pack of Dragon Sleeves because you're the Dragonfag right now
>Ask when EDH night is
>Go home and swap out cards for your deck and sleeve them while you ride your Ur-Dragon Dildo
>Go to EDH night and introduce yourself to the group as a new player with a slightly updated precon
>Play some games, get a feel of the meta
>Build your deck of choice in the meantime

Literally all you have to do. Stop moping around and believe in yourself.

Fuck off it doesn't need it. We need the ability to copy it in 4 or 5 man games.

And they won’t. And for that reason I am going to be putting in Thespian Stage and Vesuva into my deck.

Don't forget mirage mirror, and a Dark Depths if you're feeling ballsy now that you have two ways to cheat it

They should return the old legend rule for specific cards with a new keyword BUT they get an additional effect when they're "old legend ruled" by an opponent's card.

Example:

Superslaver 6
Legacy Artifact
4, T: Sacrifice superslaver, take control of target opponent's next turn.

If your opponent plays a card with the same name as Superslaver, sacrifice this card and take control of that opponent's next turn.

but user I don't like dragons :c

Why did they get rid of the old legendary rule anyway? Was it too random or too easy to abuse?

Then get another precon. Or build a really cheap deck. You can build Edric flying men for ~20€.

>Why did they get rid of the old legendary rule anyway?
Lin Sivvi.

Specifically because us commander weirdos are weird.

Wizards hates legendary creatures for some reason. People are hesitant to play them because they're dead draws if you have one of the field. The old legend rule specifically made playing certain players unfun. Playing Zur was a good way to make sure your opponent couldn't play zur, and it would just continue.

Personally I think the tuck rule is more egregious. You should have exactly one way to make sure a commander doesn't go back to the command zone.

Also other timing abilities (like "Play [this card] only during combat") can not be ignored by the hideaway ability.

Fine, buy Vampires like everyone else did. Or whatever other precon they have there.

>tfw creatureless decks would still play a full playset of jittes just as removal for other players jittes.

Nothing to do with commander, just a funny memory.

If you had to choose between a normal Wrath of God or Route, which would you choose?

>You should have exactly one way to make sure a commander doesn't go back to the command zone.
But you have 4. Song of the Dryads, Imprisoned in the Moon, Darksteel Mutation and Lignify.

Rout, every time.

For specific cards, instead of one specific method of bouncing it forever.

I just love void stalker.

How does Naya typically win? I have Zacama as my general, and I have Kiki+Zealous in the deck. But it feels like it’s just Naya good stuff and not a real deck atm. I can’t post a list, I’m at work. So fire your suggestions away. I will say I don’t have some of the money cards in those colors, while I do have others.

Ok,

I have made some updates to my Korlash deck.

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/blackened-4/?cache=2018-01-31 13:14:13.506798

You smash face. Then smash face harder, then play some giant indestructible regenerate annihilator beater and smash face way harder than is reasonable. Then, you deflecting palm.

I remember when all of my decks had to include specific ways to tutor for my commander in case it got tucked. I kind of miss that.

>Has the curse of Midas
>Doesn't have deathtouch

I'm making a token deck using eldrazi spawn/scions. It's not a "I attack you with my army of tokens" deck, it's more of a "I sacrifice my tokens for effects" deck. Grave pact/betrayal, black market, fecundity, skullclamp, Meren... how much of the deck should be dedicated to cards that just make spawn/scions?

I had a super clutch play once where i Jester's Capped myself in order to get my commander back to the command zone, and then played them for the win. It was pretty sweet.

Also this, if it could block or be blocked

Easily Wrath. Mana efficiency is important for wipes.

>oversold cemetary
I need this.

Also, why do you have Tetzimoc, Primal Death in there? He seems... bad. Really bad. This honestly looks like a Volrath deck, but with Korlash as a commander, which I'm okay with. Why no lashwrithe?

Question, how does Lich's Mirror work with Poison counters?

Trying to build pic related. Any advice? Should I just go full stax?

>Why no lashwrithe?

Just don't have one yet. Also, it started as a Korlash deck originally, then became Volrath, then became Korlash again when my playgroup started to target me too much. Also, Tetzimoc plays with the theme of mass board destruction.

Stax can work, at my old shop the triplets player used them that way. The main wincon was the Mindslaver combo and Rings+Basalt+ X draw to either mill someone or draw deep into the deck.

It's just your commander. Zacama seems like more of a utility commander, so it seems natural to just play goodstuff since zacama doesn't lend itself to a more streamlined strategy.
Compared to Mayael, who practically builds herself.
Anyways, I think you should play mayael or gishath, zacama seems worlds better in the 99.

From gatherer-

"Lich's Mirror doesn't remove poison counters. If you'd lose the game this way, you'll do what Lich's Mirror says, then you'll lose the game the next time state-based actions are checked."

Poison counters would make you lose the game. If you have a Lich's Mirror out and you hit 10 counters, then it triggers Lich's Mirror.

how was this printed at a common anyway

its actually good

Oh and to answer your question, naya usually wins by beating face. It's a pretty fair color combination

Any recommendations to upgrade this.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-omnath-locus-of-rage-edh-commander/

I could ditch the Elemental tribal I suppose but I need good ways to keep Omnath alive and shitting tokens

>>Grab a pack of Dragon Sleeves because you're the Dragonfag now
This

There aren't that many so probably just run all the decent ones. Jund would probably be your best bet, though you'd probably get a lot of utility from them with commanders like Meren or Mazirek. But shattergang bros could be a neat commander for them too. Or maybe vial smasher and one of the other commanders since you'll probably use all that mana for big spells?

All of them since they're not that many

I would add some big Eldrazi as well if I were you, as a distraction

Naya and its subset of colors either go tall and punch hard, or go wide and punch hard. You have to punch harder and faster than all the other players, so you need cards that let you go nuts if they resolve and/or you get to untap with them. Mana doublers, draw cards equal to power or equal to number of creatures, haste, anthems, pump etc.

Zacama is a wincon in itself just through commander damage and built-in removal, but it also encourages you to go tall and ramp hard. Zendikar Resurgent, Traverse the Outlands and Rishkar's Expertise are prime examples of going nuts, but you also need a plan B in case your commander gets hated out such as fatties with land synergy like Rampaging Baloths, Omnath 2.0, Tireless Tracker etc.
You can run 2-card combos in the deck but if you're going to be a combo brainlet you're better off playing other colors.

To which "old legend rule" are you referring? Originally all Legends were restricted. If a player controls Legend A, no other players can play a card named Legend A. Then they removed the restricted clause because they didn't want the list of restricted cards to be too long, and having "all Legendary cards" as one entry wasn't good enough???

Yeah I figured Mindslaver would be a big one. Is there an actual combo for it or is it just Academy Ruins?

Rise of the Eldrazi is considered by MaRo to be "not at all New-World-Order-compliant" and was designed by a guy who wanted to make a fucking weird Battlecruiser Magic enviornment.

Tentatively I'm looking at WUBRG and between RotE and BFZ/OGW there's over 30 cards that make spawn/scions, and I have all of them included at the moment but I feel like 30 cards is too many.

I have most of the Annihilator creatures. I also have cards that make token copies and it combos with Anointed Procession/Parallel Lives which I have anyway to get more spawn/scions.

>just Academy Ruins

Pretty much and some other artifact recursion redundancies.

I've also seen Sen Trips built as a Pilowfort with Taxes that would be more friendly and casual than Stax Combos

Remember Dicate of Erebos is another Grave Pact.

Dogpile and Goblin Bombardment are nice as well.

So I cast a spell with Sunbird's Invocation in play and reveal a tutor with it that I can cast. However, I also reveal the card that I'd want to tutor for. Can I get it? It doesn't seem to change zones, as it is revealed and not exiled.

>a fucking weird Battlecruiser Magic enviornment
Yeah, who would want that over the stagnant midrange Standard/Modern we have now?

What commander are you running for 5 colors? And yes, 30 is too many. I'd say it cut down to like 25 of the best and then put in some other tokens matter cards and utility. Some blinking effects would be really nice, stuff like mistmeadow witch or venser or even time elemental and crystal shard with panharmonicon would let you really go crazy with them

Yes. You cast the tutor, putting it on the stack, but dont resolve it until invocation is done. Invocation puts what you want on the bottom, then you tutor for it

I've tried this in stax decks, and honestly I think its not as good as people think. The problem is that in a stax deck, you are usually tight on mana and permanents, not to mention being a huge target, and this card rarely actually lets you do much. It's not terrible, but if you want Esper stax, go Oloro. Sen is better as a control deck, not a sweeper/counter/draw/go deck, but one that runs a lot of taxes.

Here just look at the deck list. It's overstuffed and I just don't know how many spawn-making cards I need in order to make the deck revolve around them.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eldrazi-wubrg-again-v4/

So Veeky Forums which Brainstorm art if your favorite?
Also Why would I play serum visions over preordain?

Over? No reason. In addition to? Because there are only so many versions of that effect.