Nonstandard monsters

So what are some nonstandard monsters that could be used in a campaign or setting?

I'm talking about shit like the Ovda, which appears as a naked person with feet facing backwards that either forces you dance or tickles you until you're exhausted and then eats you.

The remora would be great for nautical campaigns

Two words
>'Fire pixie'

Yes fire pixie
my gm introduced one some sessions ago whilst playing pirates.
They look like a sprite made of fire.
These tinny tiny angels grew a level once they consumed enough flammable material (whale oil being their favorite), are immune to fire and gain immunity to crushing and slashing attacks on level 5.

These fuckers are the settings equivalent of a nuke and are therefor illegal (and that's actually something the nobles respect),
drop one in a wooden room inside your enemy's palace, and that's it, entire city is gone in 10 hours as the 'pixie' (actually a magical construct but who cares) attempt to copulate/eat every building/man/bridge/tree in it's vicinity.

There was some weird japanese bestiary, the pic that circulates here is the guy dressed in like a tan bodysuit who shows you his butthole. Let me see if I can dig up the site

Yeah I can’t find it, but google monsters of japanese folklore for some good ideas

Fuck off with your magical realm shit

Check the "Fearsome critters" book online for some weird creatures from American folklore. Most of them are just silly, but some are cool and even threatening.

Näcken

Okay so you know how Golems are formed by inserting a magical operating system (or "Shem" if you're old fashioned) into an appropriate body?

So what if you just nail it to a house or throw it into a pile of meat?

Logic implies that the Operating system wouldn't be able to create it's own body but really chaos doesn't care for implications.

Renubero

Renuberos are evil beings related to the SILFOS that live in the clouds and create hail to destroy fields and crops. Sometimes, when the storms are severe, they fall to Earth―through carelessness, clumsiness or, as some claim, the angels push them off. Whatever the reason, fallen renuberos on Earth adopt the appearance of sullen, hunchbacked men who live an unhappy and miserable existence. They are always willing to do evil in the hope that, in return for their evil deeds, the infernal forces will return them to the clouds.

Tronante

Named so because they create thunder, they also receives the names of nubeiro (because of their relation to the clouds), legromante (for being sorcerers) or escolar (for being sages). They are small, plump, hairy, blackish and extremely ugly creatures that "wound clouds" with their wooden clogs and the iron pincers that they always carry with them, thus producing thunder as well as rain, spoiling the crops of good people.

Like the Castilian RENUBERO, he can be forced from the clouds through pious prayers, but unlike the renubero, as he only has to make a whirlwind by gathering dust from the road and urinating on it; in this way he can return to the sky. Since he knows this secret he sometimes likes to come down to Earth to satisfy his lustful needs, or simply to do evil things. For these "visits" he takes the form of a tall, repugnantly ugly man. Sometimes, the tronantes associate themselves with evil men and women to whom they reveal the secret of creating the whirlwind, so that they, too, can also ascend into the sky and direct the clouds.

Seír

Its name, which literally means "covered with hair", is used in the PENTATEUCH and other rabbinical texts to denote hairy, demonic beings with the head and legs of a goat and human arms and torso; all extremely hairy. According to legend, they live in abandoned ruined buildings, far from men. Their lustful appetites are voracious and they willingly travel great distances when attracted by the smell of women.

Doctor Who angels are pretty scare and unusual.

Sacamantecas

A sacamantecas is evil creature that lives in the mountains of Malaga and looks like a large man with thin, dark hair and a neatly groomed and trimmed beard. He's rather hairy, but not ugly, and has a sweet, blue gaze. He dresses simply, and his clothes are usually more or less clean. He has a beautiful, deep voice with which he sings charming songs of love while walking in the mountains. He attracts girls and young women with his songs, whom he imprisons to rape, murder, dismember and devour their brains; and not necessarily in that order. Nor does he shun male children if he succeeds in attracting some.

There are those who say that they are devil followers in truth, or cursed people who need to devour human brains to continue living. The sacamantecas are said to be very strong, with large hands, muscular arms, wide backs and broad chests. Nobody has ever heard them speak, as they only sing, and no one knows for sure if the attraction their singing causes is magical or not; but what is certain is that any girl who has heard the sacamantecas will run after him if they are not stopped in time.

Mabula

This magical creature dwells in forests and has the appearance of a disgusting old hag by day, and a beautiful maiden by night. If a man or woman catches her bathing at night and gets married within three days, they’ll be happy their entire lives, but they must be careful, for if the mabula realizes she has been discovered, she curses a man, turning him into a forest animal; while a woman is transformed into a mabula like herself.

Mabulas can be freed from the spell only if someone loves them in their most repugnant form; in which case they remain beautiful forever.

Sátiro

These creatures, the offspring of a union between a woman and an ÍNCUBO, look like a human with small horns on their foreheads, hooked noses, goat's feet and incredibly large sex organs. They are not very intelligent, fond of pranks, and have a very unstable temperament: one moment they are docile and skittish, and then in the next they show their wrath and anger.

Their children have a human appearance, but they are extremely thin. The sátiro tend to swap them with real human children sleeping in their cribs, leaving them for the human parents to take care. These children grow very slowly and are always hungry; so much that they can drink several wet nurses dry. They can be recognized for what they are because they begin to speak at once, within a few months, with a husky voice more like that of an old man than a child’s.

Nonstandard mythical ones? I'm always a big fan of weird yokai. I mean hell, you could do an entire murder-mystery campaign with a Noppera-bo who's really good at make-up and stage prosthetics. Or a group of Nurikabe inside a labyrinth moving around to close off pathways.

On the less traditionally silly side of things, the Gashadokuro could be a hell of an encounter. An indestructible gigantic skeleton famine-spirit, who can turn invisible but can be heard approaching by the sound of ringing in their prey's ears, and with an insatiable desire to bite the heads off of travelers at night and drink their blood spray. You could structure an entire encounter about rushing from place to place trying to find shinto wards to repel the beast or outlast it until sunrise where it would fade away.

For real. I could see a whole encounter where a school of remora try to slow down a ship so that some larger sea monster like a Kraken or Scylla chases after the boat. Players having to spear remora out of the water before they can anchor the boat and get them all killed.

Not OP but great suggestion. I'm definitely using some of these.

How were they stopped from eating other towns/cities and consuming the world?

Now I wanna play a wizard who weaponizes pixies, fairies and other fey

I like that last idea. I can envision it now, a rundown temple in the mountains, pouring down rain and booming thunder, and this giant nightmare stalking around trying to hunt down the party, and maybe have some creepy ghost or mystery man hanging around to pressure the party so that even hiding isn't safe

I think it'd cost the players a TPK before they realize it's indestructible. Maybe warn them ahead of time?

pretty much any cryptid
>mothman
>nightcrawler/fresno alien
>Aswang
>Mongolian death worm

Perhaps the creepy ghost/mystery man could be snuffing out the protective seals on the temple? It'd be a race from safe spot to safe spot, desperately trying to get their hands on the few holy seals before their unknown assailant can destroy them, all while having to dodge the depredations of a gigantic blood-hungry skeleton.

You've definitely got to impress the danger upon the players early on. I'd probably have it eat and NPC or two first. Additionally, just because it's indestructible doesn't mean that it can't be repelled. PC's could smack away its hands or beat back its maw pretty well, considering as it's made only of bone, it's probably weirdly light for its size. Fights with it would be entirely about trying to smack it away as they run.

They consume the material pretty fast so if one catches on a ship the ship is pretty much fucked but it'll soon have nothing to eat.

Other than that 'Ice/rain-magic' and keep the jar closed.

Balls deep in an aides ridden monkey

Ignore the last sentence

>nightcrawler/fresno alien

...gondola, is that you?

I tend to make original monsters for every new biome or dungeon my players explore.

I guess gnolls aren't non-standard but ive picked up a few variants plus some other things

>Ovda

Sounds sort of like Curupi, who protects the forests of South America. If you try to follow his footprints, you end up in the darkest parts of the forest and are never seen again.

Also he wears his ludicrous penis wrapped around his waist like a belt. Lock up your daughters.

Get aids furry shitstain

A 'Quisition'
Is a type of formless spirit that feeds upon feelings of frustration and puzzlement.

They are known to infest ancient crypts and sewers and over time change their layout into puzzles and mazes.

The powerful Quisitions are able to change the layout of entire rooms within hours and often latch themselves to Veteran adventurers, though the adventurers are often unaware.

An historical example of Quisiton infestation can be found in the village of Greyrock. The village was made home to a famous elven adventurer named Loraine ''the fang'' in 654 B.C fourth era, after his retirement.
Soon after; the villagers reported becoming trapped in their rooms (the locks of which made into puzzles), houses and streets changing layout and holly scriptures replaced with riddles.
As of today (800 B.C fourth era) the Quisition haunting the village is yet to be exorcised and continues to haunt the village even after the death of the adventurer.

I remember that a kobold Meepo form Sunless CItadel (introductory 3E adventure) got so famous that a version of him with a shotgun having time traveled around started to appear on the internet.

Survivors of an ancient civilization, men and women who are normally blind, but who carry lanterns and can see *everything* within thirty feet of their lanterns, including the contents of locked boxes and the pages of closed books. Sometimes you'll see these lanterns fixed to polearms. The lantern-men can be negotiated with, but will tell nothing of their history or of the downfall of their society, and will jealously protect the ruins of their cities.

Holy shit, I was trying to remember what that book series was called and it was driving me nuts

Give me a moment to read this htread an coment on enteries

Love them. Fantasy equivalents of weapons of mass destruction are really cool. One of many concept I liked of Naruto is Jinchuriku being walking nukes (Then kishimoto fucked it all up).

I always imagined that if you leave a fire alive long enough it will acquire sentience and become a salamander.

true but hard to replicate in a tabletop. (witcher did a great job replicating it in vidya)

Invisible giant is nice. Mostly because the party does not know that it is an ainvisible giant and thinks maybe it is a wall of force sent by a wizard.

cryptids
As a kid I was fascianted by them, but unfortuantely I was unable to find new ones. The closest I have seen are a couple of monsters from WoD. Could you suggest some other neat cryptids?

lately I read "world of prime" an Isekai in a D&D world that had gnolls in it. Nothing much but it is always fun to watch riflemen fuck up salvage dog people.

Nice. You can throw in big worlds such as "they observe the world from 4th dimension and as such nothing can escape their gaze."

the predator reskin I posted is boring, let me post soemthing better

>t eat and NPC or two first
I'm thinking of a small army.

The old GURPS bestiary had most of them.

I like this a lot. Parts of it are dumb, but those can be changed.

currently making a race out of those. Instead of big spider, they assume form of a human. Buttons instead of eyes and other creepy features. They are just curios and fascinated by humans and want to know more.
Thinking of a reason for some of them to form a city.

So please tell me what parts would you change and how.