Scion

The Scion: Origins raw text preview came out late last week for backers. It is rough, since this is before final copy edit, but it is pretty much complete and Hero should be following pretty soon. Here it is for anyone who cares and didn't know: anonfiles.cc/file/a21b319971a3243921bcaae574855b8e

But now its been out a few days, how do those who have had a few days to sit and absorb it feel about it? I think the system is fine but the way they present it (subsystem after subsytem that functionally work the same) make it feel artificially complex. Currently working up an Origins game that will transition into proper Hero with my usual group, so no actual play assessments yet besides pure observations though.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NhVqit0I4EU
local.theonion.com/man-prefers-comic-books-that-don-t-insert-politics-into-1822632404
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Holy shit, this is about falling off the board in 20 minutes? I chose the wrong fucking time to try making an at best semi-popular game thread I guess.

I've seen a couple of threads but they've all fallen of the board fairly quickly. I guess the Origin book just isn't that exciting.

I've only seen the first thread from the last week.

It isn't even the full book which may also be why. We'll have to wait longer for that. I'm curious as to how they're going to handle abilities gained form purviews and the like, but I suppose that will have to wait for Hero.

It'll basically be a straight power upgrade. You didn't have purviews and attendant boons before, now you do.

I mean how they work in practice and if they're going to be different from/more narrative than 1e's purviews which generally had only one power per level.

More power both mechanically and narratively, but only a few per purview in the core is what I think we're at.

Why does Ares look like a real buff angsty nerd instead like an bronze armor covered embodiment of battle ?

What's the problem? Marvel Ares is fucking great

Never said that twhat he does is lame or stupid.

But does this guy look like somebody who would go.
>"You know, i really should start wearing a skull, just so they know i'm a tough guy, also maybe add a katana an axe or even a minigun, like those damn babarians."

He actually does use a minigun at one point. He's shooting a bunch of normies he's training. He's shooting at them with it while he's drinking some beers.

He's not a total tryhard, though. He uses a desert eagle but he uses it in .357 instead of .44 or .50 because he's not a total tryhard. He literally says that.

Nothing wrong with a human skull. Its a classic momento mori or threat, depending on the culture going it.

There were like three random threads created, but the first proper one went all the way to bump limit. Just don't think there's enough proper excitement to do a regular thread thing with origins alone. Kinda glad we avoided /pol/ stuff so far though
In other news I'm going to break into heaven and get Inari to sit on me

To touch on Marvel Ares again, there's a point in the mini-series that I think this thread could appreciate and seems apt for Scion.

At one point Ares is leading a troop of mortals he is training into a defunct base of the quasi-military organization known as HYDRA. Ares and his team find a large number of dead and decapitated HYDRA soldiers, and then later, they find the skulls. Ares notes that all of the skulls have had their teeth removed, and orders his team to withdraw as they are outnumbered. One of the soldiers, noted to have a classical education, remarks that the skulls belonged to men who were in an organization called HYDRA, not an actual hydra. Ares responds that magic is weaponized symbolism, as their enemy sows those teeth and soldiers rise up from the ground, just like in myth.

Where were you when Scion 2e became a game about fluffy tails getting kitsune PCs in trouble?

youtube.com/watch?v=NhVqit0I4EU

Given this is marvel, I'm guessing HYDRA soldiers rose up?

Do they have rules for creating your own pantheon? That would probably sell me on learning it.

Not yet.

1e does, but 2e is still VERY rough in terms of what we have.

To give you an example, the first edition broke the game into 3 parts: Hero, Demigod, and God, based on your relevant Legend level (a stat that functions like Essence in Exalted, if you know of it.)

The DRAFT we have of the first book of 2e is for Origins...which is the new tier before "Hero".

It basically lays out the fundamentals of the new system, and the new ways Knacks and so on will be used.

The Devs have stated that they WILL have a section on making your own Pantheon in a later book, using the Atlanteans as their example for how to design one. (The Demigod arc in the previous edition took place in the ruins of Atlantis, with the dead Gods of that nation being important to the plot, and therefore their names, histories, and so on have already been made for WW.)

That's going to be in the Companion which won't be till after the two core books come

I'll add also that designing gods appears to be a cakewalk and you can probably figure out a PSP on your own with what we get in Hero as a guide

what a tryhard

Busy rewriting Scion 1e with the Talislanta ruleset so I wouldn't have to deal with OPP's bullshit.

Spooky skeleton hydra soldiers

>i really should start wearing a skull
Its a BFF thing; you wouldnt get it

I like how the Knacks so far are unaffiliated with epic attributes, tying to character themes instead. I'll have to wait to Hero to be certain I like what they've done with it, but it seems a good first step.

Ares is best god.

God of the year all years. How can other pantheons even compete? Maybe the Devas and their ability to deliver multihand hand jobs or something? That seems like it might just get crowded though.

He could wear a fancy bronze breast plate with a skull on it or just not be a crime against design in general, you know ?

So why is Hephastus the best Greek god?

I mean, of all the Gods, he's one of, what, 2 that never cheats on his spouse?

He doesn't start any wars or ruin any people's lives. He just builds what people ask him to build, and builds it well.

Creator Knacks on point this edition, too.

Can I play a kitsune of Ares who looks like a cute cosplayer right until she busts out an automatic shotgun in each hand?

I mean you don't need to be a scion of ares to do that, any old kitsune can. And I thiiink so. Again it's hard to pick apart but I think scion + other supernatural path is valid

I know, I just had an idea for a cute little wife whose hubby got killed and decided to reinvent herself as The Widowmaker to spread the joy.

>The DRAFT we have of the first book of 2e is for Origins...which is the new tier before "Hero".

Oh right, I remember hearing about that. The "random jackoff with barely anything special" tier that they added to their game about gods so that they could sell one more book.

It was probably so they didn't have to leave all sorts of shit on the cutting floor in order to cram all the important shit in just three books, but yeah money also.

So how did they fix the Epic Attributes? The thing that made original Scion completely unplayable? I assume they must have done something drastic to that nonsense.

They're gone. Well most of them
Epic physicals are now purviews. Everything else is tucked away into a universal scaling mechanic, one that doesn't go as crazy as it did before, isn't always on, and has differen't uses against trivial or non trivial targets.

I think it's 2 distinct reasons:

First, of course, is the money. We'd be fools not to acknowledge that getting an extra book's worth of sales isn't something any publisher wants.

Secondly, it may be necessary. I'm not going to lie, I haven't bought a book since WW became OPP. So I have no idea how exactly things work now, but I was playing back when the second edition of all the WoD lines came out. (Lost, Requiem, Forsaken, etc) And all of them had the benefit of the World of Darkness core rulebook existing. Vampire the Requim doesn't talk about how your skills work, or your abilities, or your flaws, it tells you how being a vampire MODIFIES them. Same with Promethean, Werewolf, Changeling, all of them.

I don't know if that kind of system exists anymore, but that's what Origins feels like to me. "Hey, here's the basics. The core mechanics, the basic abilities and interactions. Here's the new setting we've set up. (It's somewhat vague, but the new setting is, in essence "Yeah, as far as we can tell, all the pantheons are real, and magic does exist." Most people are aware of this, in the same way they are aware that people win the lottery: they hope for it, make plans for what they'd do if it happened to them, but mostly just hear that someone's cousin's boyfriend turned out to be a Scion of Loki. Governments...try not to think about it.)

And at 217 pages, this might have made Hero a spine-crushing tome of a book if included.

He did too cheat on his wife. Whether it was Aphrodite or one of the Graces who was his official wife, he had a bunch of consorts. Notably, he once tried to rape Athena, and when she fought him off and threw the sperm to the ground, it birthed Erichthonius. And really, no heelguard for Achilles? You had one job.

Ares all day every day.

>Whether it was Aphrodite or one of the Graces who was his wife, he had a bunch of consorts

While you are right, and there's a great deal more bastard children of Hephaestus than I thought there were, I will point out that in most of those cases, they're using the word "consort" as "mate". Of his 6 known consorts, he was married to 4 of them in the relevant mythos.

Ares on the other hand is the Worf of Olympus. "How do I make this dude look cool?" "I know, have him beat up Ares!"

Thor used to be a bro before Marvel started to pander to SJWs.

What a baby

local.theonion.com/man-prefers-comic-books-that-don-t-insert-politics-into-1822632404

I mean who doesn't like a spine crushing doorstop you can weaponize?

How do you couple that with the supernatural paths though is trickier.

Supernatural paths probably offer you a specific knack subset just like Callings. So you get locked into whatever yheir drawbacks might be but get knacks you might otherwise have missed out on or unique ones entirely. Seems like they add more versatility choices for later on while locking you into certain stuff like kitsune tails or being a fucking werewolf.

How many wives can a legendarily ugly crafter have?

So far it's looking more narrative. Boons don't come in dot ratings, each purview has a permanent power for accessing it, and then three boons in the hero book it looks like, save for the pantheon purviews which have two.
The real thing I'm curious about is if you buy them with XP anymore, since it looks like your divine parent just let's you channel one of their purviews with no relic or anything
Oh yeah, also there are now marvels, basically free form affects you can do in addition to just purviews

One.

That was the point of my comment: of the 6 named women he's reported to have slept with, in FOUR of those cases, they're his canonical wife in that region. So mainland Greece felt that he was married to Aphrodite (sometimes), and he has X Children with her.

Island over here says "no, he's married to THIS CHICK, and he has this kid!"

Another island says "you're both wrong, he's married to this other woman, and had these two kids."

And some other place said "Look, it doesn't matter who he's married to, at one point, he tried to rape Athena, and spurted onto the ground, accidentally impregnating Gaia, and making THIS KID."

And then, over in this other story, it's like "And we meet this asshole, son of Hephaestus and this chick." "Wait, who the hell is that." "Shut up, it's not important. It's important we know Hephaestus is this dude's dad because he's also a cripple, but now he's EVIL."

Depending on the location it may be easy to fit in even with it being seen, particularly in some parts of Japan.

You know that is actual thing in Kitsune myths, right?
What I want to know is whether boons and the like aren't shit like they were in 1e.

Well we have previews for seven of them and change