Beholder edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/:
We all know that a wizard could defeat a Beholder but could a Monk do it?

a frog prince could do it

Probably, a monk's abilities are described as the innate magic of the world, which a beholder's main eye doesn't cancel out.

if you respond to pathfinder posters, YOU are the cancer.

Bigly important question. What do you fellow DMs do to organize all your planning? I have been keeping it all in a Google Drive with a bunch of folders for different stuffs, but it is kind of annoying to search through on my phone during sessions. There just isn't much of an ease-of-access. I have also considered writing/printing stuff, but I feel I would have the same issue desperately flipping pages and gradually having more and more crap to wade through. Plus not as easy to edit. Right now I am thinking a laptop/notebook is my best option. Any recommended desktop apps for one if I buy?

new to 5e and I'm a little confused about reactions/triggers. can a wizard 'ready' his sheild spell in preparation for a suspected hit on his enemies turn?

i keep almost all of my notes in androids default notepad app. keep one document of things you'll have to refer to often, another for notable things that might effect the party later, and multiple ones for session notes that you can delete after.

Nah m8, the wizard can just cast it as a
>reaction
to being attacked.

how does that work functionally? does the player have to skip it's turns action(s) to do that? do they have to announce it?

Pretty much every reaction spell is amazing (Except maybe hellish-rebuke due to warlocks only having like, two spells per short rest)
Shit, if you're playing a wizard you may as well take Shield, Absorb Elements, and Counterspell. All reactions.

I have Keep on my google pixel but I feel it would end up being about the same as google drive in the end. One of my biggest issues with it is that my phone just runs out of battery by the end of a 6 hour session, especially if I'm referring to it a lot

oh i see, so they can only do this with spells that specifically say they're reaction spells. they can't just set their own triggers/reactions.

How are Monster Slayers? Any fun?

I really want to try one of these "new" subclasses for Rangers.

im not an expert on wizards but generally going into the ready stance means you declare one thing your character will be ready to react to until your next turn, and if that trigger happens your character will react in the specified way. ex, you say "If an enemy walks through this gate, I will pull this lever to crush him with it." So yes, you can set your own trigger and reaction, to a reasonable degree, but going into the ready stance so you can perform that reaction takes a turn unless you have some bonus action that lets you do it

Nah, it goes like this.
>DM: The orc charges at Fizban and slashes at him with his greataxe
>DM: *Rolls* That's an... 18
>P1: That hits me but I cast Shield as my reactiopn to raise my AC so it doesn't hit
>DM: Cool... *dying inside because wizards are gods*

Quick Q: I am just starting to delve a little bit into Roll20 and 5etools. I'm curious what additional functionality 5eTools actually renders? it seems like it might have more complete content than the core Roll20 Compendium. Are there other things I'm missing about it's utility? Thanks!

You don't prepare Shield, it can trigger so as long as you are attacked or hit with magic missile. It doesn't take up your action and you can cast another spell (a cantrip I think) in your turn while still being able to trigger Shield on a hit.

Shield is strong precisely because it involves meta-time travel. You don't have to assume you are going to get hit before you use it as it retroactively functions once the trigger is satisfied.

okay that's exactly what i was confused about. i was talking to a player who was afraid of dying in one hit to a dragon breath and they asked if they could ready a spell in preparation for that attack. i think the spell in question specifically was mirror image.

Very nearly everything is more complete than Roll20.
5eTools is basically a FUCKHUEG compendium, but has very little fluff details.

Mirror Image can just be cast on their turn, why would they bother readying it?

What is there to spend money on in 5e? My players are accumulating a stupid amount of money with basically nothing to spend it on.

Actually, I lied. You can cast a non-cantrip spell and still use your reaction to cast Shield. You only have to cast a cantrip as your action if you use a spell as your bonus action.

I'm always greedy as fuck with spellslots. When you smash that shield button way too much (Say getting attacked four turns in a row in a single combat, every turn using shield) you can quickly realize 'Wait, fuck, where did all my 1st level slots go?' at which point you're forced to go 'do I really want to use my 2nd level slots for shield?'

Though to be honest my Bards 2nd level spells known are only Pyrotechnics and Silence so I rarely wind up using them. Maybe.

i think the point of it was to specifically neutralize the breath attack itself and not use it before the Dragon does so, so he gets maximum use out of the spell. he doesn't want to cast it then have 2 of his images destroyed and raise the chance the breath attack hits

No, you can ready a spell that takes an action to cast but you have to set the trigger and, if you take damage while "readying" the spell, you have to make a concentration check (even if the spell isn't concentration) to maintain the readied spell.
For example, if you don't know Counterspell, you could ready Dispel Magic with the trigger being "if an enemy casts a spell" and it would effectively act like a Counterspell when triggered.
This uses your action AND your reaction, though. Reaction spells only use your reaction and don't need to be readied.
I also believe a readied spell uses the spell slot, whether the trigger occurs or not.

yes, you can absolutely ready a spell when taking the ready action. The way this works is, you cast the spell on the turn when you are readying, but you 'hold' its energy until the trigger occurs. When the trigger occurs, you can either ignore it or choose to take your reaction instantly. However, since you are holding the energy, it requires concentration. also, spell has to have a 1 action casting time

yeah, that spell in particular doesnt seem to make sense for use with any kind of reaction, especially to dragon breath. the dragon is obviously already targeting you, so I dont think making three nearby illusions after it has already started unleashing its flames will have much effect

Magic items are always fun. You can also let them hire noname nobodies to do menial shit for them like carrying the loot back home. Oh yeah, you can let the players buy property and build it up as their base of operations. They can buy mounts and other useful noncombat gear. If your players are into fluff then let them buy cosmetic shit for their characters like robes and badass cloaks. Make sure to incorporate their new appearance in your narrative and it can be a lot of fun for the players.

It's not quite so bad when you're an Abjurer, casting Shield at level 2 fills your ward up quicker so it's at least not a complete waste.
Mirror Image doesn't affect AoEs, or any save effect for that matter. Only attack rolls.

actually, rethinking, I reckon it would be fair game to take a ready action saying he will cast the spell when he sees the dragon PREPARE to breath fire, given there is some kind of tell-tale sign

What is this "fun"?
Nah just kidding. It's pretty cool, especially with the right fluff.

Pet mimic that feeds on gold

lol'd at pet mimic idea. I am also pretty liberal in handing out gold rewards to players. right now they are practically playing pet collector sim VII, and have spent entire first two sessions trying to tame any small/medium beast they come across. giving someone some type of gold-plated doggo that gets buffed based on shekels inputted might make for some good fun

Any easy way to get leather armor on my sorcerer?

>tfw you confirm that everyone in your group hasn't played a certain game and you can steal everything that isn't nailed down.

fasten the straps

kek

yousonofabitch

Hello I'm trying to homebrew a Class to use in the npcs for the campaign I'm running now, is this a good thread to ask for some feedback? I don't want to break any rules. Thanks

Use cornstarch. It helps you slip in easier; although some people are fond of baby powder, too.

Check out the OP image and then guess.

Aside from being barb/fighter/rogue etc from lv1?
Talk to your DM to see if you can train yourself to use light armour.

I don't really see much of a reason to pick it over the normal Hunter Ranger, unless you expect to make it to very high levels. There isn't really a thematic difference either.

I think Horizon Walker looks more fun, even with the possibly-setting-inappropriate portal sense.

Just use a normal class brah.
If you don't want them to be complex NPC's and just have a bog-standard template make lv1 Fighter and give them a 10+Racials in all stats.