>currency is called "gold"

Fumb drogposter

Frog dumbposter

Pog drumposter

>Currency is made of gold
>Isn't called gold

>The good kingdom is vaguely modeled after Medieval America

>not being on the gold standard
Enjoy having your currency debased by the gnomes.

so like tribal wars between the Natives, with occasional surprise vikings. I'm strangely down

>not building a demiplane to mine magicoin

>setting where native americans get surface-accessable copper and tin, and get a labor animal.
fucking fund it.

kill yourself, frogposter

The Inca had the former without the latter. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't have readily available iron considering they lived in the mountains.

Fun fact: Mountains are terrible places to build mines. They're dense, dangerous to work with and often irregular with mineral deposits. You want to make some money, you go to the hills.

>Currency is based on distributed ledger.

>everyone speaks common
>elves speak elvish
>dwarves speak dwarven
>"kingdoms" operate like modern nation-states
>plate armor and shields at the same time
>villagers are aware they have a king
>no firearms in sight despite the setting more than likely being based on the late medieval period
>peasents can read and write

I like calling them Dollars just cause.
Copper pieces are Pennies
Silver pieces are Dimes
Gold pieces are Dollars
it's simple and easy to get for first time players.

If I want to get really in depth I would have Electrum Pieces be Half-Dollars and Platinum pieces be 10 Dollar Coins.

But ultimatley you can call them Wizzles and Bruddles and Piccilows or you can call them copper and silver and gold cause what ever flavor you want to give your world is up to you.

>medieval setting
>every peasant has a last name

>medieval america

What did he mean by this?

Are we playing a role play game or a medieval simulator?
Should we have to role to see if we die of the black plague everyday also?

Forced meme

I know were shitposting here but that one triggers me

Nobles get like 50 goddamn names, anons. Just let Bartleby Tap run his drunkhouse.

>not having currencies being named after units of weight.

>wytch
>vampyre
>faerie
>daemon
>magick
>grimoire
>dragyn
>gryphon
>wyrm

Gold Pieces, doofus.

>currency based on the hours worked of the people of the land

>People who pronounce why-vern as wi-vern

>Low magic setting
>Implying magic exists

>You want to make some money, you go to the hills.
So I accidentally placed a prior-mining town on top of an actually good resource? Sweet.

>not calling money "coins" and letting your players imagine them however you want

>Implying any of those are bad

>Implying the princess shouldn't be magical

>Implying the King shouldn't be a righteous and just ruler that you have to help and feel honor to serve

>Implying a dragon shouldn't be the final boss

>guy who stands in the field all day to harvest one ear of corn makes more than the guy who harvests his entire field in 4 hours
Wow guys capitalism totally works!

>what is zloty
>what is aureus
>what is guilder

>Currency is called "silver"
[laughs in two superior languages at once]

You do realize grammar schools started showing up around the late medieval period, which often taught them how to read and write in latin at the time.

>villagers are aware they have a king
Do you think villagers don't know the guy on the back of all their coins? Medieval man was primitive, not retarded.

But you are right in that there are a lot of anachronisms in your average fantasy setting, ranging from early medieval to late renaissance.

>elves speak elvish
>dwarves speak dwarven
Maybe they speak it in the same way the Chinese speak "Chinese": maybe "elvish" is a series of twelve different languages with a high but not complete degree of mutual intelligibility? It's just that nobody really gets too deep into the game to learn the subtle difference between North Quen'sil, South Quen'sil, Wood Elven Quen'sil Patois and Koinè Quen'sil.

>"kingdoms" operate like modern nation-states
What’s the proper way to portray kingdoms? Is not enough emphasis being placed on feudalism or what?

>>no firearms in sight despite the setting more than likely being based on the late medieval period
If it's not Earth, then you're being a stupid nigger.
>>villagers are aware they have a king
Never go FULL retard.

>gold coin isn't called ducat

Can't have animal labor when you kill all your megafauna

What exactly would a medieval america be?

Yes

>currency is called "shekels"

There are Balkanized America threads sometimes that hit something close to it I think.

>Medieval man was primitive
Not even that primitive

>A massive horde of knights charging down a hill chanting "USA USA USA USA" over and over
>They have the finest, strongest horses in the known world because only they can carry the mass of an American knight
>House Clinton, House Trump, Hous Bush, House Rockefeller, House McDonalds
>Their most famous bard is Wendy the Savage

>Medieval man was primitive
Not really. Only technologically. Otherwise they had a surprising lot of facets of essentially modern lifestyle. Otherwise, you're right, and I hate it when people confuse low education with low wisdom or intelligence.

>there's only one currency
There should be dozens that you'd see in any major trade outpost or town. All of them in different sizes, denominations, in different metals (silver, electrum of varying grades, gold, copper, bronze, tin), and even the age of the coin matters because coins minted in different years can have different weight and purity to them. And that's before you get into counterfeiting...And yes, the local merchants and traders do know each one of them apart and can figure out their relative values.

Okay, you'd have to be pretty damn autistic to actually play that, but at the least there should be:

>a petty currency
The one people use for small day-to-day transactions, since even one gold coin would be worth for instance hundreds of apples and loaves of bread, this is most likely copper or something.
>a trade currency
worth a large number of the petty currency, this way you can buy a larger good or service without counting out - or carrying - hundreds or even thousands of petty coins, this is most likely silver or electrum
>a reserve currency
one minted with something like gold, which is worth too much to be a day-to-day currency.

Picture, like, a $1 bill, a $20 bill, and a $100 bill, in today's money. You wouldn't buy a single meal's worth of staple foods with a $100 bill, but with a few $1s. You wouldn't buy, say, some good tools with $1s, because you'd be counting out a shitload of $1s, and in coinage a shitload is also heavy. You'd use $20s. $20s are probably the most commonly actually spread around and used in trade, since they're a tradeoff between being "spendable" and being valuable. $100s are almost annoying to have just because they're difficult to break.

Wouldn't it be House McDonald? I think McDonald's is possessive.

I root for USA every year

>tfw Poland's currency is literally called "gold" in Polish
Well, "golden" to be more precise, but that's close enough

>in different metals (silver, electrum of varying grades, gold, copper, bronze, tin)

Nnnno. Electrum is one of the crappiest metals to make coins out of, since the exact composition varies so much. There's a reason gold, silver and bronze took over.

>worth a large number of the petty currency, this way you can buy a larger good or service without counting out - or carrying - hundreds or even thousands of petty coins

People have been doing just fine with just a bronze coin for a really long time, dude. See pic related: whether you were a peasant or a lord, you used these coins. If you had to use a lot of them, you took a string of them, or several strings, or used weighed clumps of silver instead. Sometimes they minted heavier coins to reduce the number of cash people had to carry, but usually it was just the 1,000-cash strings if you needed plenty of money on tap. Similarly in Greece (discounting places like Egypt of the Ptolemies) all coins were of silver, they just varied in size from the absolutely tiny to fairly big ones.

>this is most likely silver

Again, silver isn't going to be worth hundreds or thousands of bronze or copper coins. An Augustan Roman denarius (silver) was 16 asses to the denarius, a Byzantine solidus (gold) was 180 follis (copper) to the solidus in the mid-500s.

And re: gold coins, they were used much more widely than you might think. There's a reason why the Venetian ducat and the florin of Firenze were the standard trade coins in the high middle ages, and why the solidus was THE coin of the Med during the Byzantine Empire's heyday.

No, but you should roll every day to see if you have brain problems

Nah man don't you remember? It's "humanity fuck yeah" to kill off your continent's megafauna

coinfag knows his shit
listen to this man

Natives running around, tribes killing each other, buffalo hunting, no whites.

Shouldn't this girl be fat?
I heard all americans are obese

Never really thought how there'd be such a clusterfuck of currencies going around throughout the late/post-Roman Empire. How easy was it to convert from one currency to another back then, though? Surely the materials used meant even a non-valid currency retained some sort of value?

Not for peasants. At XIX century most people were illiterate

I bet you don't even know how marxism works

>Otherwise, you're right, and I hate it when people confuse low education with low wisdom
Low education is low wisdom. That's exactly what wisdom means

>sci fi setting.
>money is called credits.

Great thread, OP!

Couldn't expect more from the asiatic mongrels

Give it five years, the wall hasn't been built yet.

Gold, silver and bronze didn't take over though. One of the most widely used materials for coins was billon.

>it's not called Neo-Shekels

>he doesn't call them dollarydoos

>Do you think villagers don't know the guy on the back of all their coins?
Most villagers didn't use coins but bartered for services.

don't forget bartering, not everyone is interested in your coins. Especially not in more primitive environments

>capitalism
He's referring to German marks you complete fucking retard

>It's not called Squiddy Quids

>not using memes as currency

>Poland
>Asiatic
Is this the infamous burger geography knowledge?

What is the second superior language ?

>convert from one currency to another back then

If you had a known coin you were converting, very easy, and this was why the solidus was the standard trade coin for a good reason: its purity was good and its weight was standard. There were imperial orders prohibiting the solidus from taken outside imperial borders, but these bans worked just as well as you might think. If you gave a solidus, a moneychanger would know precisely how many say, Carolingian silver pennies or Andalusian dirhams to give you in return.

If it's funny money, then it was measured by weight. A pound of precious metal is a pound of metal, after all, and if you gave a Tang dynasty silver sycee to a Byzantine moneychanger, he'd simply weigh it and give you the equivalent amount of local coins in exhange.

So yes, the material was exactly what made the coins valuable: you can find silver pennies cut in half, in quarters etc. because the someone gave change and simply took as much silver from the coin as to cover the price.

But billon pales in the face of the number of pure G/S/B coins struck, and billon also avoided the big problem of electrum's varying composition issue by being man-made, like bronze.

Define "pure bronze".

So, should we just start using shitpost threads like this one to run quests in or something?

Made to precise standards of composition.

I find it hard to believe that that would of been the case for bronze coins. On a bronze coin the stamping matters more than the metal. If you would of tried to trade someone a lump of bronze it wouldn't of gone down nearly as well as if you would of tried to trade them a lump of silver or gold.

>Shitpost thread
Maybe it started as one, but it has since become a pretty good thread, bringing a bunch of knowledge to the attention of the lower masses like me

>>medieval setting
>>every peasant has a last name

Actually that was far more common than you think.

Everyone on the European-Mediteranean coast was more or less doccumented and had surnames from the 12th century onwards.

Same goes for inland nations that had tight connections to these coastal areas.

Austria, Croatia, Slovenia, Hungary, Bavaria and Switzerland more or less all had this as a common practice.
Even if you didn't have a surname you'd be given one either by the name of one of your ancestors or their social/work position. For example take the position of Toll/tax collector.
Because they were usually under the employment of an Emperor they'd usually include it into the surname so Austrians have Kaiser, Slovenes have Kajsar, Croats have Carević or Crnjak depending on the region and so on.

>Maybe they speak it in the same way the Chinese speak "Chinese": maybe "elvish" is a series of twelve different languages with a high but not complete degree of mutual intelligibility? It's just that nobody really gets too deep into the game to learn the subtle difference between North Quen'sil, South Quen'sil, Wood Elven Quen'sil Patois and Koinè Quen'sil.

Totally making my Elves Slavs who violently spreg out when you say their languages are pretty much the same.

Yep, surnames were often simple concepts like the relation to where you lived too. In the UK at least there are a lot of "bythe" surnames, bytheway, bythesea, bythewood, etc.

>currency is called Credits
>you don't have to pay interest

So pretty much modern America minus the buffalo.

So modern America?

My last name (Woodside) comes from exactly that.

That's technically not a surname though, since surnames are meant to indicate a person's family.
If you called me user Veeky Forums, then Veeky Forums wouldn't be my surname, it'd just mean I was from Veeky Forums and nothing more.

>Dollars are called "bucks" just because buckskins used to be a common medium of exchange.
>Money is referred to as "green" just because it's green.

Her tits say adult but her face says ten. Sauce?

If you are the only people who live around Veeky Forums then when it comes to writing down who is who in this town you will be the people with the Veeky Forums name. It may not be specific to your family but it didn't have to be for the record keeping, and at the same time it would likely cover your entire family anyway - with the lack of movement you'd surely have some relation to most of your neighbours.

>>a petty currency
>The one people use for small day-to-day transactions, since even one gold coin would be worth for instance hundreds of apples and loaves of bread, this is most likely copper or something.
>>a trade currency
>worth a large number of the petty currency, this way you can buy a larger good or service without counting out - or carrying - hundreds or even thousands of petty coins, this is most likely silver or electrum
>>a reserve currency
>one minted with something like gold, which is worth too much to be a day-to-day currency.

Wut. What? It's not the case in your subpar setting? Why are you playing a subpar setting Veeky Forums? Why aren't you playing the greatest setting ever created?

There is one currency and everyone just breaks it into halves or pieces.

>plate armor and shields at the same time
I mean, there's nothing wrong with that. No matter how well armored you are if somebody swings something heavy at your head it's not a terrible idea to put a wooden board in between you and it.

The real problem is the comparative lack of polearms. If you were a knight on foot during the period where plate armor was common, your weapon would usually be a poleaxe.

States did not really centralize in Europe until slightly after the Columbus voyage. A good example is Carlos V, who would travel all through his kingdom with a train of couriers with donkeys loaded with court documents. He would shack up in a nobles house and go over their taxes and obligations and then move on to the next one. This was wildly inefficient, so madrid was later made the capital mostly due to its centralization.source is pic.

Ive never seen another spelling of grimoire. Fight me

Luna from Dead or Alive Xtreme 3. Be patient with her, she has autism

Occitan

8/10 bait, better than the OP.

10/10, would rage again

>gods grant you magic power
>there are somehow still atheists around

Could be played for laughs like discworld. All the gods walk around and throw rocks through the windows of atheists.