EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous:>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
Who is your favorite jank commander? How often do you actually win with them?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-omnath-locus-of-rage-edh-commander/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-02-18-omnath-locus-of-mana/?cb=1517481538
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/l-a-n-d-b-o-y-s/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-simple-beginners-good-stuff-deck/
deckbox.org/sets/1639518
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dreggens/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don’t play magic because I find the community offputting

Thanks for the insight homeslice

>Who is your favorite jank commander? How often do you actually win with them?
While child of alara is not a jank commander 5c basic lands is beyond jank
Every once in a while you will shoot off a rite of rep on a juicy Target or catch a table with ruination or be allowed to cast v. Wealth for 20+ but aside from that it's just basic lands + charms and by big dumb 3color bombs

>make a pic related deck
>have darkest hour and grinding station in opening hand
>win turn 4
>Am now the eternal archenemy of commander at my lgs
>regardless of what deck I play they all target me first

Such is the price of winning.

What are the better blue cards for spell slinger in terms of counterspells?
Making a kess deck and I’m a bit new to spellslinger
Also is it entirely pragmatic I am able to combo out and kill someone with a bane fire or something?
I don’t understand what kess win conditions are supposed to be

blasting station not grinding station. My bad

>green snake token, not black
>Ophiomancer still doesn't have an official token

Fuck you, Wizards.

Who is the most fun mono green commander?

I am a fan of Patron of the Orochi

Rhonas fight club is my go to monogreen

>Thread question
OP image, actually. Wins more often than not in casual games, probably because it's one of my longest standing decks that I've put a lot of time in tuning. Definitely my best noncompetetive deck. I've also had success with Reaper King clones and am brewing Mishra.

Verdeloth, easy.

Kess wins with storm. Good counters are either cheap, generate card advantage, or both.

Okay so basically just use black red and blue spells to control the board and get a big turn where I can flashback a counter to protect the combo and high tide, seething song dark ritual and banefire?

>opponent is playing 4c enrage tribal with K+T at the helm
>wins with 32 protoraptors out

I'm not even mad

Basically. Unless you're building for 1v1 in which case you should include good hand disruption as well.

That's a good way to lose.

Well, it was your choice. Targeting you playing completely different decks and giving free wins to other people is retarded though

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise

do i keep?

>tfw you can't use Elenda in Mazirek

Omnath, my 99 forest deck wins more than it should.

Pls help an omnath user out.

Need swaps for better cards / More synergy

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-omnath-locus-of-rage-edh-commander/

How does the 1v1 built go?

I actually know this feeling...
I'm switching to ghave I think

GHALTA!

This is broken as fuck with buffs and tokens, a drop and win situation

Most of the time you only need one draw spell and an ability to drop him for 2 mana to win that turn

Seems interesting but I know nothing about his 99 or how he should be played at all.

What commander should I go with if I want to something around a playful witch who plays tricks?

If you want to win with Ghalta you need a ton of creature generation ( tokens) to drop him for 2G, then something to give him haste and protection. Tokens may require some ramp

And then you want to buff him with the awesome green buffs

Shit with 2+ more power than it costs (Rhonas, Hunted Troll etc.), spells that draw cards, put tokens or ramp according to the greatest power of a creature (Rishkar's Expertise, Soul's Majesty, Travers the Outlands etc.), shit that allows you to kill in one swing (Boots, Fireshrieker, Overwhelming Stampede, Pathbreaker Ibex etc.)

I barely do tokens, but it may work

>EDH instead of draft at FNM tomorrow
>Ghalta as promo, in addition to those fucking tokens
>I have a Xenagos Deck in the making
Should I?

There is no reason on God's green earth to make one not put Ghalta in Xenagos

>EDH tournament
>with prizes
>at an lgs

Marchesa v1? Olivia v1?

Fellow omnath user here. Been testingng him for while and am approaching A pretty tweaked list. What specifically are you looking for and whats your budget?

At least you have snake tokens to use even if they arn't the right color. Meanwhile I have to use unglued soldier tokens as stand ins for my sand warriors.

I have no budget. I aim for winning insta-fast and overwhelming the opponents with 5/5s and lightning bolts up the ass.

I am willing to ditch the elemental tribal theme of my deck if other cards are better for Omnath. I also need protection for him

I'm hyped about this green Omnath deck.

Pls help me tweak it

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-02-18-omnath-locus-of-mana/?cb=1517481538

How likely am I to get focused playing Xenagos, Ruric Thar or Angry Omnath?

in order of likeliness to get hated out immediately

xenagod
omnath
ruric thar

You mean lowest to highest?

Fuck that is a nice token, I have 2 of the normal ones because I didn't know this one was a thing.

here is my list, i've had decent success with it.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/l-a-n-d-b-o-y-s/
To tweak it even more, I'd add E witness over greenwarden, add a sol ring and a goblin bombardment, and a dark depths. And some off colour fetches like bloodstained mire/arid mesa over the terramorphic expanse and evolving wilds, but thats a low priority upgrade. Testing realm seekers right now. I dont run much protection, but the usual boots/greaves/champ helm or whispersilk do ok, aspect of the mongoose is ok and Sylvan Safekeeper is good if you have land recursion. Wanting to test the new merfolk that bring your lands back when he dies.

So how does Rhonas Fight Club work exactly? The usual big green creatures, combined with abusing Rhonas' indestructible+deathtouch with all the "fight" spells for easy removal?

What is a cool and easy commander for a beginner?

(i have some temur cards from a while ago)

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-simple-beginners-good-stuff-deck/
I realized this deck only has a single card that can hit lands, so now I'm considering replacing Krosan Grip with Acidic Slime and Farhaven Elf with Mwonvuli Acid Moss. Y/N?

Surrak Dragonclaw or Maelstrom Wanderer should be your best bet.

Ruric Thar has drawn me a lot of hate despite it just being a timmy deck for fun

Y
Or add strip mine and crucible.

Whenever I play Nekusar in multiplayer I get focused down by all. WHY. How can I change that (I wanna keep playing Nek)

I must add that it is a control-oriented deck, not a wheel one.

No way that I know of. You are hindering everybody by the virtue of participating in a game. You never let your opponents forget about you being still alive when you keep clocking them right before they decide what to do with their resources.

You have Marchesa, Sedris and Thraximundar to choose from, the latter being a descent option for control

because people will ALWAYS hate on a nekusar deck. he's just one of those commanders. sorry, bro. just make it a niv mizzet deck.

Nin? If so probably

>Hey /edhg/ should I play edh?
Yes

Marchesa rogues is decent.
Making the fact that pirates came out as pirates and not rogue tribal even more infuriating.

Pecause it deals damage to each player each turn and people hate that

>Just make an equally hated on deck
Or you could just man up

Got a list? I’m interested in doing Rhonas and haven’t really had any inspiration hit.

I'm running out of deckbox colors. What do?

Take apart half of your (assumedly) shitty decks and start building up the other half of your (assumedly) shitty decks. Git gud

Buy some more and paint them with unused colours.

>Through use of Zur and Sovereigns of Lost Alara end up with a Boonweaver Giant enchanted with Gift of Orzhova, Eldrazi Conscription, and Celestial Mantle
>Also have Greater Auramancy down and Copy Enchantment copying it
>18/18 Shroud, Flying, Lifelink, Trample, Annihilator
>If it touches you my life total doubles
>Swing it at Mimeoplasm player
>He scoops immediately
Wew

Time to kill yourself!

>playing Zur

My Zur build is pretty casual. I'm not doing Doomsday shenanigans or anything, mostly meme shit. It runs Brisela for fucks sake.

Give me an aura/enchantment commander that isn't super tryhard or super linear and boring

How do I make a Zirilan of the Claw deck competitive against multiple opponents?

Whenever I play mine 1 on 1 I crush my opponent, but it just doesn't hold up in multiplayer

I'm not sure whether it's a problem of poor construction or lack of experience

Deck here:
deckbox.org/sets/1639518

Your only real options are Zur, Bruna, and Daxos.
>super tryhard or super linear and boring
Your deck is what you make it. Just because you build Zur doesn't mean you need to make it "tryhard".

Tutor on a stick in the command zone begets linearity

Not when you fill the enchantment board with weird options and change it up every game.

This guy, maybe? Dunno. At some point you're just intentionally playing a worse version of already existing decks.

Ephara's Enchanted Pillowfort.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ephara-enchantment-tribal/

Feel free to customize as needed, if you want less of a Tribal Enchantment and/or less of a removal and stall focus.

>Ephara's Enchanted Pillowfort
Zur plays pillowfort better

I want commander with old borders. What are the strongest picks?

Merieke Ri Berit, Sliver Overlord, Arcanis, Sisay, Chainer, G Kamahl

Angus

I feel like the issue isn't the general idea you've got going, but the options you've given yourself. You've a Tutor-On-A-Stick Commander, but no Brighthearth Rings or Illusionist's Bracers. Moreso, while you're running 'Swing for the face' staples you're a bit lacking in a few other Zir Staples; like Scourge of the Throne, Hellkite Tyrant, Hoarding Dragon, or Tyrant's Familiar.

You've a decent amount of mana ramp, but Mana Flare is a trap because it's AoE and that means people will shut you down. Not to mention you could be running Gauntlet of Power instead. On top of that, you've an unsettling amount of effects that kill your dragons and that draw you cards, when Zirilan really wants cards in his deck instead where they're safe and he can pull them out when needed. At least from my experience.

This is the decklist I use for Zirilan myself, and it rarely does me wrong. tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dreggens/

More like Zur dies to removal and gets hated out of the game better. If you can't win with Zur the turn you drop him, you can expect him to die immediately 90% of the time and have painted a giant target on you in the process. Too many people know Zur as 'Fucking Doomsday.dec'. Ephara meanwhile is a quiet, Indestructible Blocker who doesn't need to go Voltron to win and can easily fill your hand up.

>Having a playgroup this fucking stupid
Just fucking tell them you aren't playing Doomsday.

You'd think they would come up with some way to provide needed tokens that don't yet officially exist.

My friend just bought the pre-built Mizzix deck and did some improvements. I am thinking about giving my Paradox Engine to him as gift since I don't use it anymore, is it useful?

>Hey man would this card help your deck?
If yes
>Cool, consider it a gift my dude
If no
>Ah nevermind then

Some people still remember the days off sitting down to a table and facing off against three Nekusar decks.

Every Nekusar deck says they're not like other Nekusar decks. They're all filthy liars.

>taking apart shitty decks
>in edh

I vote yes, if he has at least some mana rocks, I'm not familiar with that precon. That is, of course, if you are content with him taking 15 minute turns

For xenagod should my focus be more on giving fatties double strike and trample or making fatties fatter with additional combat phases?

That's why my Nekusar deck is 1/4th, "You can't touch me" cards. Crawlspace, Propoganda, Fog Bank, etc. You gotta make it difficult for them to attack you, and remind them that free sign in blood every turn isn't the worst thing in the world.

Xenegos is one of the most insane commanders. This dude can whip out instant kills from nowhere like an absolute madman, and the element of surprise is what fits him best.

Focus on creatures that *really* should not get haste. the new green elder dino is a thing. Hunted Troll can crack some skulls and play politics, too.

Additional combat phases are cool for him, since he scales exponentially, but you don't want dead draws in a GR deck. (If you don't have fuel, drawing an extra combat step is nothing.) Focus more on face smashers, I'd say.

Deus of Calamity activates devotion on its own and has some spicy utility.

Remember, everybody will be trying to kill you. Xenegos is a scary general in casual play.

I want to make lots of cute little Smoldrazi
I don't want them to just be sac food and I don't want to make them all giant monsters
What sort of things can I do with them

>What sort of things can I do with them
Sacrifice them to cast things.

:c

Play squid tamer

well there's tons of anthem effects, especially stuff like Beastmaster's ascension.

If you're running tons of ETB spawn makers it's probably good to run Parallel Lives and Panharmonicon

are there ways to build Teferi walker other than stax? I want to build a generic mono blue control, commander, since i got bored of Azami, but I really don't like stax, permission based control creates a more fun environment imo.

One of my buddies made Teferi sea monster tribal. It's not very good but the untap ability is pretty much ramp.

>always played green in my first decks
>everything was easy Mana fixing, low budget, and generally stompy
>over the years became a fucking blue fag
>every deck I build is either monocolour or blue
>I have to build a mono green deck because I have a ton of green cards
>Or I could just build Maelstrom Wanderer
Life is difficult boys.

Never drop blue, always find a way to make people hate you more