Mario RPG General

Because the last one died before anything was accomplished.

Mario RPG: Pipes & Plumbers
>Rules
1d4chan.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG
>Races, Abilities, Items, Badges, etc. docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TNIGww-irrwywHgSCZPgCw_AT9Q5fmwAmyF2_8T0dBk/htmlview#gid=0
>Additional Races
pastebin.com/6HHbLh7c
>Campain RP Archive
akey.ca/gbrp/index.php
>Gameplay Test Log 1
pastebin.com/tqZPyfdz
>Gameplay Test Log 2
pastebin.com/8v8cK2BX
>Super Mario Wiki
mariowiki.com/Main_Page

Think up some fun boss ideas. What kind of bosses can you come up with if you were to run a campaign with this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=01ylb5fRxV0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is the user who was going to make editable sheets here too?

Add Castles and Koopas to the OP next time.

Yeah but I'm the only one in the office today. I'll have it for you in a few minutes.

Thanks, dude.

My favorite boss was the often discussed Mista Fista. He was a quasi-sentient castle with bending pipes for arms and legs and boxing glove hands. The party had to take control of a mail delivery airship, fix up the weapons, and fight him head to head.

In the finale, Mister Fister (Mista’s father) shows up to avenge his son. He’s composed of six humongous castles, each of which house a switch that deactivates the head’s defenses. Filler bosses to test the team’s knowledge guarded each castle, with Bowser at the head piloting. It took all seven Koopalings’ magic to get the players to the top. It was cliche but a lot of fun to build.

Also don’t think you can underutilize the Mario Wiki, there’s lots of one-shot enemies that spark the imagination for boss design.

So, what would you run in this system? I'm not too familiar with the Mario EU, so all I can think of is stealing from Super Mario RPG.

You can run a Paper Mario-esque campaign, or a campaign that's like the Mario&Luigi series.
Maybe something like Superstar Saga.

I'm trying to do one based on the Paper Mario series.

The Mario EU is whatever you make it.
youtube.com/watch?v=01ylb5fRxV0

>Is the user who was going to make editable sheets here too?

Nice. This'll be really helpful. Thanks.

No prob, it only takes five minutes

Also, I used Arial as the default typeface for the fillable fields because that's a pretty common font. I THINK that the pro version of Acrobat can embed a font for form-field use, so if you have a specific typeface that you want to use, let me know and I can try it tomorrow.

Mario’s a lot like Mickey Mouse. He’s already done a touch of everything so implanting original ideas usually meshes pretty well. Take a campaign idea that you couldn’t quite flesh out and put Mario enemies/allies in their shoes. See if it fits a little better. Don’t just rely on the gimmick itself though, that novelty wears in fast without playing with it a little.

Jurassic Park campaign that felt stale? Dinosaur Island with ravenous enemy Yoshis, Rexes, and Reznor.
Space campaign? There were some dudes running a tight Mario Galaxy campaign a while back.
If you find a way to make it work, a tabletop Mario Party with intermittent action sequences would be tight as hell.

The possibilities for campaign ideas and setpieces to work with really goes up when I work with the Mario universe, I think. I don't know much about DnD lore to work with too much outside of what I'm familiar with which is very little, so it helps thinking of dungeon making and boss stating and gimmicking in the context of a Mario game.

Did Bowser ever fuck Kammy? It seems like a natural turn of events for those times when he can't get ahold of Peach

He’s constantly making fun of her age, plus he has the means to create large armies and structures across the kingdom without ever hearing about his financial woes. I’m sure he has a harem, or some younger soldiers in blonde wigs.

>The boss is the castle
what
>The boss is six castles
what the fuck
Seems interesting though. Is there a log for this?

I had an idea for a "chapter" taking place in what was essentially a bob-omb civil war in a psuedo-Balkan country, Explosylvania. It would be split up between two warring brothers with obnoxiously grandiose military titles and elaborate hats into West Explosylvania and Upper Explosylvania, . After navigating trenches, bombed-out villages, the players would finally make their way into a fortress-like military base split between down the middle with red paint, and the ultimate confrontation would be the superweapons that triggered the war in the first place, a pair of battle vehicles; a tank and a helicopter. The straw that broke the camel's back would be which one was cooler.

I hadn't worked out actual mechanics yet, but most of the first phase would be the two trying to be the first to blast the party to smithereens, with the party ideally exploiting them into hitting each other, or even gaining temporary buffs or thrown items as they argue over something and make the players pick a side.

The second and final phase would be the two vehicles accidentally combining into a super battle robot as they got more in sync in their anger over the party meddling and kicking their butts to realize that they were genuinely getting along; the vehicles being birthday presents from their father, the actual ruler of Explosylvania and a very, perhaps far too chill guy, if maybe weirdly enthusiastic about guns and bombs and tanks and things, meant to teach them about the value of teamwork and getting along. They got into their argument and started the war before he could explain that part, though. Not sure how that phase would go mechanically.

Since Explosylvania is mostly populated by beings who explode recreationally, like Bob-ombs and Bullet Bills, the actual war isn't as drastic for them as it would be for, say, some poor schmucks who just want to get the MacGuffin held in a two-man rule vault.

One-up

All I've got right now is the shitty homemade visual from when the party met Mister Fister. There's a log somewhere, it's prolly just not as impressive as it sounds.

I'm planning on having a rival team that challenges my players as they grow and accomplish their goal. Basically, every chapter or so, the rivals will show up and duel the party, much like the Troopa Jr. fights, where every new encounter offers something different. First time, rival group establishes their character. Second time, they learn how to use Bros. Attacks like the players do. Third time, they engage the players in 1:1 engagements, making it a real duel. Final time, I'm not sure. Maybe they'll do some cool thing where the person the rival is rivaling goes "you guys go on ahead, I'll take care of this."
Who knows. I find the idea fun though.

But what if that's an aspect of the contest? He laughs about possibly cracking her hip while he beats her pussy like a red headed stepdaughter

Why are you so interested in the prospect of an old Koopa crone getting smashed?

Have a Kremling and cool your jets.

I don't know, why are you so interested in defending the honor of Bowser's personal jizzrag?

Because you are literally the first person I've ever heard talk about pounding Kammy Koopa, and it's unsettling.

>Turning this thread that never gets many replies in the first place into a fetish discussion
Not today.

>causing this thread to get repeatedly bumped

Seems okay to me

Only if it's about the system or trying to do something with it, otherwise what's the point?

I think most of Veeky Forums has accepted that the system is basically unsalvageable

When the fuck did that happen?

>Experience my first Pipes & Plumbers campaign
>Get to the end of the campaign
>DM: "Sorry, princess is in another castle."
>Players: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I'm 100% sure this how my first Pipes & Plumbers campaign will go.
If I was the DM, I would totally pull the "Sorry, princess is in another castle" bullshit on them.

So we’ve seen a few Kart homebrews and some rad bestiaries & alternate character types, does anyone else have any neat stuff to add?

For example, how would you go about a Minion Quest campaign?
>Each player is a level 1 servant of Bowser with next to nothing to their names
>They travel around for whatever reason, slowly amassing a large army of player controlled NPCs like a war game and taking the kingdomside by storm
>Players armies get too big and civil wars break out across the tables between friends and Mushroom Kingdom staples alike

Would anyone be autistic enough besides me to make/buy some figures (read: toys) to simulate this DMing nightmare?

>Army game with Mario
Neat. That would require a lot of work and autism to put together though.

>Running a campaign to save a princess
>Not running a campaign where people want wish granting star powers