/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
Valentine's day is coming, what did you get your Spider Princess? Edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2018-02-01 - Still getting worked on & now has 24002 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2018-01-02!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.co/watch?v=2tN875A3Bj8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Valentine's day is coming, what did you get your Spider Princess?
Nothing. I'm forever alone, like how CGL is forever 3145.

The new hotness this way comes.

Man, I really want that damn mini. One day man, one day.

Speaking of, does anyone actually have any updates about the HG lawsuit? What's going on with that?

There are no updates, and I wouldn't expect meaningful news until this fall at the earliest.

Here is your new lance, commander. Assign them mechs.

4 Panthers. Get fucked.

What a waste of 4 perfectly good Panthers. Give them Wasps instead.

No, Savannah Masters or J. Edgars. Mechs are too good for them.

Random thoughts on how to handle capital and sub-cap weapons with a "burn it all and start over" approach to aerospace.

>Gauss
The Mario of naval guns. Decent at everything, never really bad nor exceptional. Goes out to Long range, with average weight and damage.

>Autocannons
Nothing past Medium range, but very efficient damage per ton (accounting for sinks and such). Low projectile velocity means you can't effectively hit a spaceship at longer ranges, but they'll fuck up what they do hit.

>PPCs
Similar to Gauss, but slightly lower damage /ton (factoring in sinks and ammo) in exchange for lowered range modifiers (say +0/+2/+3/+4 SMLE instead of +0/+2/+4/+6). Still limited to Long range, because as soon as the magnetic bottle ends the shot will spread out too much to do anything.

>Lasers
Lasers have the range mod reduction PPCs do, but can go out to extreme range. However, the beam diffuses the farther out it goes, resulting in scaling damage. Extreme range it does very poor damage per ton, then gets better as it gets closer. Not sure where exactly the highest damage will fall on the PPC-Gauss scale, since that will kinda depend on testing how huge being the only Extreme range weapon is.

>Missiles
Very poor damage per ton, but have a critical advantage: You can cold-launch missiles from other arcs and have them turn to the target before burning. Missiles don't care what arc they fire from (well, maybe a +1 penalty to hit if not-primary for balance), allowing you to bring all arcs onto the enemy. However, if you're engaged on multiple arcs, they're going to be worse than any other weapon system, and they can still be reduced by AMS.

Not a big aero guy, just seen all the talk on it, seen a friend talking about how all the weapon systems feel same-y, and then applying what I know about space weapon physics to things.

Solitaire when?!
Faster than a pirahna, but 25 tons. What I could do with that extra 5 tons. I guess hardpoints and pod space may be an issue, but still.

I mean, I'd rather them just be techs in skimpy outfits back on the Dropship, but if I have to....
Left to right:
>Owens E
>Bloodhound B2
>Men Shen Prime
>Guillotine 5M

>Assign them mechs.

I give all of them their initial Mech training in the KHN-3K Kitchen. When they're done with that, they graduate to the multipurpose MA1-D1K platform.

what are those?

Fuck, Re-posting due to thread cut-off.

From an optimisation standpoint?

The HPPCs kinda need to be in groups of 4 and the NACs could benefit from either being triple-20s or mixed callbre bays to hit the 70-point damage cap.

Missiles are kind of irrelvant on custom designs since once those come in everyone will follow the pack by nuke-proofing, but if you want them for fluff purposes I understand that. In that case I'd suggest using AR-10s for flexibility.

I would consider using GRs over ER PPCs for anti-fighter weapons. That will increase your hitting power by 50% and thanks to naval range banding you don't even lose out range under standard rules; 1 hex probably won't mean much when enemy fighters are likely to be lugging GRs of their own for ship-breaking purposes so if they can hit you, you can hit them.

36 ASF is a bit of an awkward number. I would bump that to 54 for a full Regiment, maybe 72 so you have a Regiment for offensive purposes and a Wing to stay on the defensive. I would also look at increasing the Small Craft to 1 per ASF squadron plus one per BA unit and a few cargo haulers on top of that to take advantage of ECM on your own squadrons.

First-Class Quarters for everyone is a bit over the top but the amount of tonnage there is negligable any way.

It wouldn't be terribly out of place as a canon ship, albeit one on the better end there.

Be careful in how you use it, a Taihou's SCCs will make a mess of transport DropShips, fighters, and groundpounders.

And now I shall wait for the rim embrace of death to save from this three fucking day migraine.

Well, actually for the anit-migraine cocktail injection thingy to do it's work, but at this stage I'll take death.

As Capellans I'd give two of them Vindicators, one a Raven and the lance leader (Cindy Nguyen) a Cataphract.

PW user from last thread. Thanks for the replies and criticism everyone.

Going off from my last post what would your groups reaction be to a Taihou/etc. bearing down on you? Just a question as my group bit off more than they could chew.

P.S. I am not the DM, I think the game is not long for this world.

>Going off from my last post what would your groups reaction be to a Taihou/etc. bearing down on you?
What do I have to fight it with? If it's like a company of not particularly good at AA mechs, my reaction is to shit myself and run away screaming.

The White Sharks have 4 points of cap-scale armor to work through, right? So the standard 12 AMS will destroy one and allow the second to get through, scoring a crit chance. Have I misunderstood the rules?

And the goal was to make something that wouldn't be out of place in canon, but also is better than the old SL-era designs. So thank you! The BA quarters are meant to represent 2 tons fo the suit itself and then a 10 ton for 1st class quarters per marine. I just like giving everyone really nice rooms on my Large Craft if at all possible.

The reason I didn't go for a full 54 was that I didn't want to go too far into ASF spam, and while I know old SL ships go too far on the cargo space I also recognize that you need to have a decent amount for food and water and spare parts and fuel. I don't have a great handle on how much cargo tonnage is appropriate for a given tonnage of warship or with a given ASF compliment.

The ERPPCs are because I didn't want it to ever risk having ammo shortages. Likewise I wanted it to have enough ammo for the guns to endure extended patrols, though I had to compromise on the missiles, only 20 rounds per launcher.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Killer Whales do, yeah, but the big danger posed by capital missiles are nukes. Those always attack individually, never by the bay.

I was pretty sure the design decisions were being made from a fluff perspective so that translated well.

The only thing that really concerns me is the SI, 50 is a tad low. It might be worth digging into the cargo tonnage a bit to increase it. One of either Campaign Ops or IntOps has rules for parts and equipment, if you are willing to crunch the numbers for a year-long cruse with a bit of a margin you probably won't need all of it.

Right, I'm aware of how 12 AMS completely renders nukes powerless, I just wanted to be able to ding for a crit chance.

I'm willing to look into the book for that if you can tell me which specifically it is. And yeah, the SI's a bit low along with the armor (especially if it's an earlier version using anything but Ferro Lamellar...) 75 SI and upping the armor to 975 leaves just shy of 15k cargo space. Alternately, 65 with 845 armor leaves a bit over 21k.

Oh, and with a total crew of a bit under 400 once you account for marines and technicians and such, it's 7300 tons of cargo for 365 days.

7300 tons of cargo for food and water for 365 days, I mean.

With megamek, is there a way to ensure that I'm playing both sides, or do I need to connect online or fight a bot?

I want to test something and it would be a lot easier to just run both sides of the fight myself.

Start up Megamek normally, host a game. Then open a second copy of Megamek and Connect to a game, with the server set to Localhost. That should connect you to your own session.

This. How Mrs and I play on the big screen (wait are we so old 50" is still a big screen anymore?)

>Man, I really want that damn mini. One day man, one day
just buy it tho. it's even in stock last i checked

Thanks

What? Is that a fucking Warhansa mini?

They try. They do try. [spoiler: They just don't try hard enough.]

Fuck, I've been away for too long. I forgot how to fucking format.

So, takin' a poll, who did it best?

Seeing as how half the stuff posted in this general time and again is bitching about the lore(what with how contradicting, inconsistent and fucked it is), would you guys be okay when CGL loses the license(if ever) with it being acquired by a new group who proceed to do a hard reset? I mean nothing is canon anymore. Not the novels, not the TROs, nothing.

And from there, they spend a while sifting and seaving through forty years of lore to assemble something more unified and sensical, building an outline and history for the entire battletech universe supported by a novel series or two, a comic series or two, and the TROs and Reports?

Tldr wat if battletech got star wars'd?

Also, TFW no clanner gf

>And from there, they spend a while sifting and sieving through forty years of lore to assemble something more unified and sensical, building an outline and history for the entire battletech universe supported by a novel series or two, a comic series or two, and the TROs and Reports?

Never gonna fucking happen. We'll get the shitty Star Wars reboot at fucking best, and the setting won't have any of the grim Mad Max feel. I'd drop the material harder than a nuke on a Japanese city.

What would you say are the vital aesthetics and vital themes for the battletech universe? The themes and style that make it it.

Because I never got a Mad Max vibe from it.

No. The lore is actually pretty damn consistent until you factor in CGL retcons and the latest person needing to be retarded for a major plot shift to happen. And most of the things people bitch about is what could be done better or things they are unhappy with, not fluff being contradictory. 99% of the time, people are arguing about rules/pricing and how retarded a leader is. Lot of bitching is how particular factions have changed over the timeline too. But that's not contradictory, that's factions changing. Like bitching the Celts got replaced by the modern British and people going "Remember when they were blue barbarians?"

A hard reset is the point I'd flat drop buying Battletech. Might buy a few new minis from IWM if they look good or a map pack but fuck any new lore.

CGL is the only people that know the atmosphere of Battletech for better or worse either. Anybody else that gets their hands on it won't do it justice.

But then, I've flat dropped Star Wars too other than watching Rebels I guess. So mission accomplished if that's the sort of thing you want to happen. Stuff like TLJ has convinced me that people just don't give a fuck about what they're doing anymore. Even then, the reboot had six movies as canon. Zero base canon in Battletech is literally just the name Battletech. I mean you don't even have the game rules.

>Because I never got a Mad Max vibe from it.
Then you never read the OG Battletech material that made it a global juggernaut published in a hundred languages back in the 80's.

>What would you say are the vital aesthetics and vital themes for the battletech universe?
1: Life is cheap, BattleMechs aren't. Even at their most common, a 'Mech is literally an unattainable piece of equipment for most people.
2: Everyone is a shitty jerkass to one another in the finest traditions of Diplomacy

>Because I never got a Mad Max vibe from it.
You what? Literally EVERY faction bar old ComStar/the Word of Blake (and the Periphery for political reasons) pines for the glory days of the Star League, due to the fluff playing up the era as a golden age of technology. BattleTech was a Post Apocalyptic game with giant robots, like Robot Jox. Every scrap of knowledge lost was irreplaceable, and the discovery of the Helm Core is basically the turning point where mankind isn't going to descend into barbarity and destroy the very last of its high tech.

Nay, I haven't. I wasn't alive back then. My dad was busy being a car racing booze hound and my mom was watching MTV.

I always felt that the Successor States waxing nostalgically about the State League to be a sort of Fall of Rome circa 500/600 AD sort of thing. The worlds gone to shit, peace and prosperity are a distant memory. Now is the age where new nations rise and fall over night, entire peoples are wiped from history, and new ones emerge.

Not the total and irreversible collapse of civilization to a point where man is literally devolving into animals vibe that mad max gives off.

no. steelwarrior. First few waves have already been shipped.

New one is the best. Finally got away from the mechcommander 2 "might as well be a mad cat mk2" look, and divorced itself from the dumb barrel shins

>Nay, I haven't.

Go do it. It's all free in the OP. No wonder you have the opinions you do if all you've ever seen is summaries or halfass copypaste updates of the original material. Battletech is like almost any long franchise. Go by production order. 1985-1988 is 3rd War/2nd Edition. 88-89 is 4th War. 89-91 is Clan Invasion. That's core Battletech. Everyone who plays Battletech at the minimum should have read the twelve or so novels and twenty or so sourcebooks from that time. Then you can keep going all the way to modern if you want. It's Refusal War then Xin Sheng/Guerrero then Twilight of the Clans then FCCW then Jihad then DA (DA before Jihad if you go production. Probably more fun to read Jihad first but knowing the DA restrictions would answer a number of 'why did this happen' questions you might get). Everything gets far more regular military around 3055, and that trend continues until you hit the DA where they get back to roots a bit.

Mechassault
To get a mech, you must get its legs, The torso can be a bit meh, but the legs must be on point

Only the Mechassault 2 Blood Asp really has the legs, they added an extra segment, which almost makes them reverse-digitigrade, but it came out looking much better than the chicken-walker ones

Also to spoiler just highlight and click CTRL+S or .[.spoiler.].TEXT.[./.spoiler.] without the dots

>I always felt that the Successor States waxing nostalgically about the State League to be a sort of Fall of Rome circa 500/600 AD sort of thing.
A bit of both. The Successor States are not just waxing nostalgically, they've actively destroyed technology that made life possible in large swathes of their worlds, and are basically at the end of their rope when Grayson finds the Helm Core.

>Not the total and irreversible collapse of civilization to a point where man is literally devolving into animals vibe that mad max gives off.
user, there are planets in 3025 that are 18th century tech at best. Helm is basically an agrarian world blasted into a wasteland by a pissed off Kuritan expecting a trove of SLDF material. Hell, aside from capital and big name worlds, most planets are all but explicitly marginal planets colonized because of their mineral or strategic value.

I love the Mechcommander 2 cover look. Most people did at the time. It's why the second sculpt was even made. I remember the disappointment of buying the original first sculpt when the game came out and then the excitement when my FLGS owner told me a new one had come out later that year. Always hated the bird head, but then I despise all animal totemics.

Usually I try to stay out of those kind of discussions though because
>homeworld mechs

>I wouldn't exactly call CGL just a small time game dev studio. They have multiple licenses under their belts, Shadowrun's somewhat mainstream as far as tabletop games go even if Battletech isn't. They might not be a big game dev like GW or WotC but they're hardly late 80s FASA either.
The problem is that 'big' in the gaming industry is pretty damn small in real terms. Taking the throne of the 3.5 empire after WOTC's abdication made Paizo is one of the bigger gaming companies in the market. Do you know how big that makes them? Last time I heard, thirty paid full-time positions. My town holds less than ten thousand people, and we have more permanent staff at our *fast-food* outlets than one of the biggest players in tabletop gaming.

10/10 Mechfu right here. The big bulky look suits it, though the MC2 cover look is a close second.

And then the rare ones that are nice garden worlds have the problem of being already occupied by hostile alien wildlife at prehuman earth super numbers.

What wrong with FD's feets?!

I too prefer the MC2 cockpit over the birdbeak, and I do also find the totemics to be silly.

Still, it's a microsoft look. It comes from that era of swarms of Davion Catapults and source material flying out of the window at a startling rate.

I wasn't a huge fan of the original Blood Asp art either, but to walk that far away from it seemed silly. To me, FDs bridges the gap nicely, aside from the weirdly small feet. He managed to make it look like a Blood Asp instead of a Mad Cat Mk2.5.

If you're talking about the one on the right, I heard it was some sort of real life balancing thing, or distribution of the weight that they decided to make the feets so ridiculous.

Your new infantry commander has arrived.

You forgot that lasers are useful as orbital weapons since you don't run out of ammo, and can just keep spamming them.

>"You missed the baby. You missed the blind man."

>I heard it was some sort of real life balancing thing

That's bollocks. These things weigh so much you have to go full "clown feet" otherwise they can't stand upright.
There's already been two Gundam statuesat full scale of 20 fucking meters high and they can even withstand the elements and shit.
If you make Mad Cat over a meter tall, you need to get a support beam beneath its ass because the feet have absolutely no way of holding the thing up.

>That's bollocks. These things weigh so much you have to go full "clown feet" otherwise they can't stand upright.

And yet, they have the density of foam.

More Capellan girls?

I want to go full Liao.

Gundams are a false equivalency since we don't have real gundamium to make them from.

I was talking about the statues made from whatever it is they used for it (fiberglass and steel, IIRC).

The weights in Battletech were designed to fit a simple a retard could understand it build system, not to represent actual weights of such things.

So where are you getting your myomer and ferro-fibrous from?

>his country can't produce FF armor
Lol full Canopian

New unit chef?

I'll have what she's cooking.

What should she pilot? What's more Capellan than the Vindicator, Raven or Cataphract?

Timber Wolf and Hellstar, as per Death Commando rules

You forgot to add that they're using them in the 2600s, as is the Death Commandos' tradition.

>steelwarrior

Unf. Those are pricy as fuck.

So the Capellans are now the Dracs - Sinister threatening yellow peril villain

And the Taurians are now the Capellans - the determined but poor underdogs who got reamed by the Davions, and now have a divided state

So what the hell are the Dracs left with now?

>So what the hell are the Dracs left with now?

Incompetence and no reason to exist.

Here comes your close air support.

People talk up that MechAssault version but it's stupid. Why's it got swords on its gun barrels? It looks like a mech the Klingons would use.

The MWO version completely changes the body shape, plus the arms are too fat.

Between the guns and cameras it's way too tall.

This is the best Blood Asp.

Targets.

Looks like the VTOL component assigned to this SLDF regiment.

That actually reminds me that I forgot to list their effects when doing orbital bombardment.

>Gauss
Can shoot down just fine, average damage and area of effect

>ACs
Take a slight penalty to hit, because decelerating from orbit to freefall takes a chunk of their energy. Good damage and area of effect, though

>PPCs
Ionosphere and the planetary magnetic field say hi. Either outright can't or orbital bombardment, or takes a huge penalty because it's passing through very strong magnetic fields that normally stop particles that energetic.

>Lasers
Diffusion rate depending on thickness of atmosphere, and reducing damage accordingly. No splash damage, does a flat amount of (low) damage but ends up with a wider area covered because diffusion. Ignores many to-hit penalties because light be light.

>missiles
Nothing special here, just like gauss.

"Everybody should have to read this stuff if they want to join my exclusive club of """real""" Battletech fans! Mandatory reading, and the beatings will continue until moral improves!"

Fuck off~ Just because that's what the fluff and tone was like back then doesn't mean that's what it's like now. It's like claiming that because BT was originally created to let Jordan and his friends play out battles from Macross and Robotech on the tabletop, that means Mechs should adhere to anime mecha stylings and such.

Quite frankly, if Battletech were Mad Max I would have dropped it. Even if Battletech was like that initially, that's a small portion of its lifespan, both in real years and in the active timeline. Saying that's what defines it is about as ridiculous as saying that a 60 year old is defined by his 10 year old self.

Mechs and politics, often at the same time. During the 3rd succession war and 4th succession war eras, definitely a downslide in technology before pulling back and stopping because they realized they don't want to go back to the stone age because BT is stupid but not suicidal. In that era, gentlemen's agreements on battles, the height of the "Mechwarrior is a knight and his mech is armor and steed", my great great grandfather's mech from 300 years ago (add in a few more greats).

Then you get the Helm Core and shit starts to normalize, you get people designing new mechs, producing new technologies. Wars tend to stay smaller scaled out of memory of the end of the 3rd succession wars and how much was lost. Life gets better for a lot of people. If 3000-3028 are the real life dark ages, then between 3028 and the clan invasion is the Renaissance.

Clans are obviously the mongol invasion, combined with a bit of feel-good buddy-buddy teamups to stop them, more technological progress in the wake. And that's about all I got for you for the first ~55 years.

Jesus fuck will you stop?

>BT was originally created to let Jordan and his friends play out battles from Macross and Robotech on the tabletop, that means Mechs should adhere to anime mecha stylings and such.

It was and they should. The Macross-deried designs are objectively better than anything FASA or CGL designed on their own.

Taurians were always an interesting and fun faction. A shame they got shit on so hard to no good effect story wise.

I guess you're allowed to have opinions user, even if you're objectively wrong.

Okay, so mechs can jump unassisted, ranged combat is basically garbage and melee is all that matters, and every other bit of mecha anime tropes that battletech has that firmly separates it from that and cements it as its own thing with its own stylings and trappings of how mechs work.

Why don't I just play any other anime mecha game then?

The worst part is how nothing of note really happens setting wise between the end of the Jihad and the Dark Age. Its understandable because of the fuck up with the plot, but it means the Taurians just sit in repeating stupidity instead of pushing ahead their rejoining with the Calderon Protectorate

>Everyone who plays Battletech at the minimum should have read the twelve or so novels and twenty or so sourcebooks from that time.
anitnobodygottimeforthat.jpg
Seriously though, get off your grog horse and don't try to gatekeep with some of the shittiest fiction piles out there.

Mechs can jump unassisted in Battletech, what the fuck are you going about?

Range is king in anime battles. Melee is a desperation tactic. At least for most of the robots. There is stuff like Big-O which specifically has robots which punch the shit out of each other.

You sound like a dumb pleb from /b/, desu. Do you even know who Suzaku or Ryoko are?

How do I get SSW to recognize the printer? Should I hardwire connect it to the printer? Anyway else to do it?

>The weights in Battletech were designed to fit a simple a retard could understand it build system, not to represent actual weights of such things.

Where is this written in canon literature?

Word of God (plus common sense) and all that.

People should read that stuff if they actually want to understand the foundations of the game and the factions, everything it was built on. They don't have to. Half the people in this thread only know anything about the lore from /btg/ memes and sarna anyhow. It's only acting like you have an informed opinion if you haven't read anything that's absurd.

The guy said he never got that vibe from the game. So it's clear he never read older stuff. Because that's the only vibe it had.

And your post would sound a lot more sincere if everybody and their dog didn't keep circling back to 3025 all the damn time instead of just playing the current era. 3025 is the same politics, planets and flavor as it was 30 years ago. Hasn't changed a bit there, only some kludged design availability. What really gets my goat is the jokers that throw grog around when they haven't read anything in the Dark Age outside maybe a tech readout or flipping through an FM and I have. And it's because they're the ones still stuck in Forever 67 like it's 2004. Like some kind of FCCW mid-grog.

Right. It's just a frozen plot unlikely to ever be resolved. And for what gain? So the Confederation can be great again?

Dark Age just isn't that engaging fluff-wise. Most of it feels like rehashed 3025 or 3050 stuff.

For what it's worth, I don't play 3025 era if I can help it. I dislike the limitations on available technology and I dislike the "Everything is irreplaceable" aspect. Mechs being very rare and valuable? Sure. We literally cannot make most mechs anymore, even those that are introtech? No. The whole "the most common mchs are bugs!" also irks me, because I imagine most people want to play with mechs that aren't trash (Grasshopper aside, but that's not generally what you jump to when you think of bug mechs). I certainly want to play with mechs other than Stingers, Locusts, Wasps and Spiders.

So I was being completely sincere there, even if I am in the minority; I don't like how most Battletech vidya and new outings seem to always go back to 3025 as if they're afraid that new players might be confused and intimidated by things like ER energy weapons and Gauss Rifles, as if they think everyone's first exposure to Battletech needs to be the same as how Battlletech developed (ye olde 3rd succession war, fighting on backwater hellholes, oh wow you discovered a Star League cache!, maybe eventually get to the clan invasion nd oooh big scary clans such mysterious~~~... I see this patterns a lot.)

The reason I was upset with your initial posts was that they came across to me as saying "You're not a real battletech fan unless you read this stuff." You're right, if you want to understand the foundations of the setting, how things were in the 80s and see where everything originated from, they should read those. But I don't think you need to read those materials and be familiar with them to know and enjoy other time periods. You don't need those if you enjoy playing primarily in the Star League era, or the post-Helm Core/pre invasion era, or the clan invasion, or FCCW, or Jihad, or ROTS shitting on the CC era, or the later Dark Age era, etc. And a person can primarily play those eras, and be a fan of Battletech, and not need to know how the original, very early fluff.

The Spider is based as fuck.

Early Dark Age is garbage, but once you hit about 3135 and the Stoners implode, it gets good. Proper Jihad style coverage of the main factions all doing things but grungy succession wars style politics and full clan retardation on a scale not seen since the Reavings and not since Revival in the IS. What makes the CGL stuff boring in a lot of ways is that the 3145+ summaries suffer from a lot of stuff that the 3050 Era reports and such suffer from which is that they are written in universe and most of the cool secret stuff going on is swept under the rug.

It's like how the Dracs from 3039 to 3054 make zero context without knowing the real reasons behind Rasalhague independence or the Ronin War. Or being pissed that Takashi died like a bitch in his bed when he didn't really.

It's good compared to most light mechs of the 3025 era, yeah, but I still prefer heavier mechs to play as, and to face more than the same 3-6 mechs as op4 most of the time. When the most common mech of the era is the Locust, if you're going for something that's close to canon you'll be facing mostly Locusts, Vedettes and Scorpions. And while that might be "realistic", to me it gets old fairly quickly.

Honestly, most problems with post-Jihad fluff have to do with the Republic and its existence.

>The whole "the most common mchs are bugs!" also irks me, because I imagine most people want to play with mechs that aren't trash (Grasshopper aside, but that's not generally what you jump to when you think of bug mechs). I certainly want to play with mechs other than Stingers, Locusts, Wasps and Spiders.
You don't have to bring fluff to the table user.

Gotta love to hate the Stoners. It's why watching them get fucked feels so good. And it's why their Civil War is when the Dark age gets good. All the goofy Knight/Paladin idealism POV washes away and you see people that have legitimate beefs with the way the things are run from the inside. Conner Monroe was easily top character in that time. And Jonah Levin going full Abraham Lincoln was pretty good too.

REEEEE STOP HAVING FUN GUIZ!!!!!

HOW DARE YOU ENJOY THINGS!!!!

Its alright, we just gotta have faith. Until then enjoy the grimness of the situation.

youtube.co/watch?v=2tN875A3Bj8

>Animu poster out weebing a non animu poster and ree-ing
>in a bread for stompy western robuts
>not animu flying ninja deathbots of weeb ultimate final destiny showdown of chosen one final justice

Do you even stomp, retard?

>Jesus fuck will you stop?

No fun. Not allowed. Could lead to dancing.