Flames of War: State of the Union Address

/fowtg/

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

DISCORD
discord.gg/drZbxvm

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ
team-yankee.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5838
mediafire.com/file/3a2s4932sks0ba1/Osprey - CAM 317 - Operation Market Garden 1944 (3) The British XXX Corps Missions.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Okay,

it is 2018, and at this point BattleFront Games has tracked some interesting territory or us to fathom.

2016 saw the release of Team Yankee. for may of us, Team Yankee has become just as prominent as Flames, despite the odds. we were originally thinking it'd be a modern version of flames of war, but it was revealed to us then that it was a different game.
now Flames of War is Team Yankee too. okay.

2017 saw the release of V4, and the ensuing edition war. no one here (with any sense) is in denial that there is an edition war, but whether this brushfire is Sierra Leone or VietFuckingNam we have yet to see.

so, what of 2018?

we see the release of stand-alone games for 'Nam and Fate of a Nation. we see Armored Fist fully overriding Desert Rats, produced a mere year ago. We await to see what truly happens with Eastern Front. and Avanti is upon us. we see the Free Nations and hope for 2nd Tier Pact.
we may also see the death of TANKS, but that is conjecture at this point despite the evidence.

.....i say no matter what stance we have, that we, the players of Flames of War, continue to play. let us play V3 or V4. let us play in clubs or with our friends, in groups or in Pairs.

no matter what storms may rise, we will play this game.

>fuck things spellcheck ignores!
might as well say 'Fames'

I think that despite the poor launch V4 was good for the game. I still think they should not have cut so many options from the books but if your a new player seeing 20 formations to pick from is intimidating. That being said I am glad that they seemed to have learned and put all the other units in the command deck for Avanti.

OH MY

Tanks isn't as killable since it's so simple and you can use any 100mm model really.

Help me out here guys expect to face cruiser tanks, American artillery park or armored rifles. I don't know what to do with the rest of my points.

PANZER III TANK COMPANY HQ
2x Panzer III (short 5cm) 10 points

PANZER III TANK PLATOON
4x Panzer III (short 5cm) 20 points

PANZER III TANK PLATOON
4x Panzer III (short 5cm) 20 points

PANZER IV TANK PLATOON
3x Panzer IV (short 7.5cm) 18points

PANZER II LIGHT TANK PLATOON
5x Panzer II (2cm) 10 points

MARDER (7.62cm) TANK-HUNTER PLATOON
4x Marder (7.62cm) 16 points

yeah but people aren't playing it.
it's a stock for 1-off FOW Plastic purchases...

can you switch Marder's for gun teams?
with cruiser swarms, you want lower AT that is cheaper and plentiful

No I don't own any of the infantry gun teams.

Is there any place where to learn tactics?

How do you use the soviet tanks with the "hens and chicks" rule?

Set up to advance a turn ahead. Use one platoon to cover another as they advance. If you aren't shooting, why aren't you dashing?

Plan ahead, and get really used to suffering a penalty to hit for moving at all. This generally means you’ll be whiffing most of your available shots. Especially against vets.

>That being said I am glad that they seemed to have learned and put all the other units in the command deck for Avanti.
It just seems a silly compromise, though. Why waste pages on German shit when you could have put some of this stuff in there?

I wonder if they figured it's the optimal profit margins selling the two things.

Still, that's another $10 of my money they get just so I can run my Fucilieri and recon companies.

If your going to move, dash. Otherwise sit still and pound away.

Wut? You have the Fucilieri card on the main site. All you need now is for some user to scan the AB41 company for you and your good. Also the command decks are only $5.

But I'll want to have them, see what the all can do.

Are they only $5? Maybe it's the unit card pack that's $10. I dunno. Either way like a sucker I'll buy it to have all the options.

Thats actually a very soviet ww2 tactic. T-34s are either travelling at top speed or sitting still and shooting stuff.

to be honest most tanks stop to shoot things.

Who /NVA/ here?
youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ

Is there a scan of cards somewhere ?

Need Czech/Poles so we can get some of that delicious RM70.

Not that I remember seeing.

Why? Which ones are you looking for?

Why is this a thing in mid/late war?

because Phill loves the taste of Sovietboo's tears

PACT needs love

I gues tgats why a 54 tonnes tank can make a magical bliezkrieg move.

Late war, fuck africa shilling.

The LW cards are just those in Armies of Late War.

I play it with a friend every now and then, closest I can get him to playing a wargame, and only because he gets to play German armour.

What kind of tactics are you looking for?

It really does.

Supposedly it’s because the Soviets had almost no radios installed in their tanks.

I’m not sure how accurate that is, but it’s the reason I’ve heard.

They had some serious shortages of radios and other electronics (batteries were another big one I heard) until '43 as I recall. After that point they had their shit together and the assembly lines running properly again.

It's also because limitations in training due the hurry to replace huge early loses which forced the red army to rely on more simple tactics for a time.

Only tank leaders had a radio.

Mid/Late war ones for the Red Army primarely. But knowing about tactics used in armies is also useful.

For Soviet tanks at least, you need to be thinking a turn or two in advance. You don’t really shoot all that well if you moved, so you need to think about getting into position first, and then firing.

Or one unit moves while the other fires.

does anyone know what the gigantic rules for the italian truck 88s does?

also, how much do semoventes cost per model?

The same as normal 88s but they can move.

4 points.

if they work the same as normal 88s why ever take the dismounted ones?

semoventes are 4 points a model, or 4 for the smallest unit
?

just let glorious american warheads rain down on you. there is no escaping the steel rain

They have a better save and can dig in. The truck one just has a 5+ save and a gun shield.

Semoventes are 4 points per tank and you can take 2-6 of them.

The 105 fears the Carristi

>implying the glorious 105 cares about your armor

They both have a 4+ save. At least from the pdf we have in the dump in the OP.

It cares about 30 shots and getting punched in the face.

But this tiny terror right here. It does not look like much but it eats things for breakfast in assaults.

My mistake, the choice really is do want to be able to move or do you want to be able to dig in. I would just go with one unit of each if infantry tanks and T34s become a problem.

>posts German 37mm gun

What did he mean by this?

>not capturing the enemy 37mms

definite agreement

good question: where IS the Gigantic rule?
>looks at V4 rulebook
not there...

i know this sounds funny but,
--Read Military History--
/hwg/ has a bunch of ospreys we don't have, but we have a few listed also. libraries are good....
....worst off, you can go to wikipedia or dredge up some sites that cover battles that actually happened.

>where IS the Gigantic rule?

It’s probably safe to assume that it’ll be in the Avanti book itself.

>good question: where IS the Gigantic rule?
Nowhere in Avanti going from the scan we have.

the written description in the book is very similar to the large gun rule, if anyone wants to start guessing.

written description?
so, not rules text?

Is giving panzer IIs scout for 2 points worth it? It seams like it is to me but I am a shitter so I could be wrong.

Just got into Team Yankee along with a mate of mine, my friend is playing East Germans and I chose West.

Is the Leopard 2 greatly over-costed or is it just me? It seems like everything in my book is far too pricey when I compare my army list with his it's nuts. Here is our starter 50 point armies for comparison.

West German

1 HQ Leopard 2

1 x 3 Leopard 2

1 x Marder Platoon (2 x MG3, 1 x Milan, 2 x Marder)

2 x 2 Luchs

So 4 MBTs, 2 IFVs, 3 Infantry Teams and 4 Scout vehicles

While my friend can bring

1 x HQ T-55AM2

2 x 7 T-55AM2

1 x 5 T-72M

1 x BMP-1 Kompanie (7 x MPi-KM, 6 x RPG-7, 2 x PKM LMG, 9 x BMP-1

Which is 20 MBTs, 9 IFVs and 15 Infantry Teams.

We've played 5 games so far and every time I just get overwhelmed and butchered, does this game have balancing issues or am I just being a total idiot?

Yes because the West Germans are the Gold Standard for training and the Leopard is the gold standard for MBTs. More armour, more firepower, and more bells and whistles than any other tank.

>Leopard is the gold standard for MBTs

Don't lie to the guy, we all know it's the M60/Leo 1 while everything else is too overcosted when against the Milan spam meta.

I'd say the only "MBT" that is worth it is the chieftain and maybe the T-64.

Play Brits dude and pack as many Milans in there as you can. You will win.

Something like this would be perfect to blow your friend out of the water.

24 Milans in there with plenty of infantry bases to soak wounds for them.

There's a difference between "Most effective" and "Most Efficient in this game"

Powerful list. But unlikely to get you a second game. Things Milans are efficient at killing include enemy MBTs, and any sense of fun.

>encouraging Milan spam
Don't tell newbies to do that boring shit.

Fuck off faggots, you play a game to win and have fun winning not the guys fault the chucklefucks at BF have no idea how to balance. Why play at all if you don't want to win? Trudeau logic level there fucktards

Also you're all Niggers with a hard N.

Cute. Now back to 40kids/age of shitmar with you.

>This guy pretending to be Bartosz
At least put in some effort.

I've had political conversations with Bartosz, and he has literally never brought up the Canadian Prime Minister. 0/10 have your (You)

Enjoy it

Why are we giving this fag (You)s?

Any way good night and wish me luck for tomorrow guys.

Why are we getting salty at fake bartosz when Battlrfront’s shit-tier game design has led to proliferation to Milans and spam list? They put these lists in their books and continue to flood ATGMs in new releases. It was sad to go from TY after the Leopard release to TY after Volksarmee and Iron Maiden. Things haven’t improved since then.

>Is the Leopard 2 greatly over-costed or is it just me? It seems like everything in my book is far too pricey
The Leo2 is sorta overpriced, but know that the West Germans are the Übermensch of TY. Everything they have is more expensive than everyone else because of the high training levels for the troops and stronk vehicles. You can use that training to blow through cover, do blitz/storm trooper moves, hold your ground as the sole survivor of a platoon, and more. The vehicles themselves are able to blast away anything thrown at them with ease.

East Germans meanwhile are well-trained, but given terrible equipment. They (like all PACT) need to rely to some extent on spamming troops so that some survive to get into effective gun range/positions.

>We've played 5 games so far and every time I just get overwhelmed and butchered, does this game have balancing issues or am I just being a total idiot?
Some balancing issues, yes, and I can't call you an idiot since I don't know how the games themselves played out (ie, did you leave a flank open and the enemy rushed up it to shoot you in the side?), but there are some basic ways to even the odds. I have a link here to someone in BF talking about this in length, but in short, use cover to isolate small parts of the enemy force and destroy them (ie hide behind something so you can only see and be seen by a small part of the force, and try to wipe it out before moving on) and use your mobility to re-position before the enemy gets a side shot on you (taken together, focus on wiping a flank, then move yourself into that flank and face the table-centre so no side shots are possible against you).
team-yankee.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5838

If you want to win though, get some aircraft/artillery to put templates on his blobs, or take USA or UK so you can get more bodies on the table. The NATO ability to shoot twice as much as PACT tanks is best combined with the cheapest tanks available (Leopard 1 or M60)

Character limit, fun

But yeah, Leo2s are sort of overkill against East Germans, since the VA have no armour, and the biggest cost of the Leo2 is the 120mm Gun and it's ability to blast through anything in-game. Try to bring in the cheap(er) support options (ie Jaguar ATGMs, BO-105Ps, Gepards, Luchs) or cheap(er) formations (Leopard 1s, M113 Infantry) so you can pour out more fire/absorb some more casualties, plus some template weapons will also help as you start bailing his tanks in the open and his advance starts bogging down. From your list you seem to have every expensive unit in the arsenal which leaves you with nothing for supporting it.

Meanwhile, taking a look at your friends list, it is illegal (you cannot take a single company of T-55s, single company of T-72s, and a single company of BMP-1s in any formation) but I assume it is used with your consent since your friend probably doesn't want to get another box or two of tanks just yet.

>DISCORD
Why won't this meme die

Leopard 2s should probably be at least a point cheaper.

NATO MBTs as a whole feel slightly too expensive points wise.

11pts for a Leo 2? 8pts for an M1, and 9pts if you upgrade it to an IPM1? Those seem a bit high. Maybe a point cheaper for each would feel right if you ask me.

Honestly it’s the second-line tanks, the Leopard 1s and the Pattons that feel like they’re appropriately pointed.

3 points per Leo1 and 4 points per M60 seems about right.

The M1 and T-72 felt appropriately pointed at release. The Leo2 is really the odd tank that is over-priced. Dropping it to 10pts is something that should be done.

>Every top NATO tank being a point cheaper would feel right if you ask me.
If all NATO tanks get reduced costs, that would mean that wherever an M1 or Chieftain is right now, an M1IP or Chieftain-Stillbrew could be used for the same cost. You are saying that the standard NATO tanks should get their up-armour for free, and can get a discount if they exclude the armour. Are your local NATO players getting destroyed that bad?

It’s not quite that bad, but I’d still say that NATO tanks feel slightly overpriced.

Maybe not the US or British ones quite to the same level as the German ones, but weight of numbers still heavily favors the Warsaw Pact, especially if its something like tank MSU or BMP spam.

On second thought, the US and British tanks are probably pointed appropriately, but the Leopard 2 should probably be 10 points instead of 11.

It’s not a huge difference, but 11 points per tank on a 100 point scale is still pretty steep.

bad move, leopard 1 companies with gazzilion of jaguarp 1. Get the book Panzertruppen. Leo 2 shie at 75 points or more.

the problem with points in TY is that high side armor = overprices, you can see this clearly on m1 and Leo II. Its way better buy Pattons and Leo I with AT support.

The thing to note is that tank to tank, NATO is slightly more survivable per shot and can put out more shots, but missile to tank.... higher NATO FA means that the standard AT21 missiles (Konkurs/TOW/MILAN) have some trouble, while PACT tanks brew up.

>weight of numbers heavily favors the Warsaw Pact, especially if its something like tank MSU or BMP spam.
Tank MSUs is a problem that I wish I knew how to fix. BMP-spam is something that can be countered with some templates and autocannons, or counter-spam with cheap WG or US troops (PanzerAufklärungs/Leopard 1 Kompanies with their dirt cheap tanks and autocannons are a terror to BMP-spam). That said, those munchkins that exploit tank MSU and BMP-spam (outside of tournament settings) are not really playing the game in my book.

because Gamers + Ponies equals spreading cancer

both posts are true. an obvious pretender.

also, i guess i fall right in with Trudeau level logic. i play the game to play the game. winning is optional. good occasionally, but optional.
i play Pumas.
only time they did great was recently against Anachronistic Italians

otherwise i command a herd of insects.

also,
you're the nigger.

with an R. because unlike some legally-protected melanesiac troglodites, i can pronounce the letter R at the end of a word or sentence. or properly assemble a sentence.

>and....can't you even tell which letter gets re-conjugated, twit?

>shit, forgot to link the last part to the troll
>i guess he gets no (You) today, eh?

Wait, Discord is for ponies? Why didn't anyone tell me! I would have joined sooner if I knew.

what is the cheers forecast in 2018?

>over9000.png

Honestly, it depends on what eventually happens with Mid-War Soviets.

Does no WarPac releases count as No Cheers or Maximum Cheers?

MW soviets will be either:
a) as bad as initial Brit release
b) actually good, with four or more formations covering the core equipment (inf, T-34s, KVs, sappers/shtraf/guards)
c) either of the above, but with horrendous versions of hens&chicks that effect every unit

MW Ost Front Germans will be:
a) carbon copy of Afrika Korps
b) Afrika Korps with some StuGs + other equipment
c) entire rewrite including inf, panzer gren, panzer, and StuG formations with maybe SS variants

Free Nations will probably be good, three or more French formations (AMX-30, AMX-10, armoured recce/car, airmobile), one or two formations for each of the other nations included (mech inf and tank only). Will be the spammiest book for NATO since heavy armour is lacking throughout.

Announcement for the next PACT release will be:
a) declared after another NATO/western forces book comes out (Greece, Turkey, Italy?)
b) declared after a neutral nations book comes out (Sweden, Austria, Finland?)
c) release date Q3 2019 (actually Q4)
d) last 'major' PACT nations (Poland, Czechoslovakia, maybe Romania+Hungary)
e) only three new kits for the entire release (OT-64, DANA, RM-70, ZSU-57/2)
f) no new formations (ie continue to copy+paste the soviet inf and tank formation) and authentic communist-potato training levels
g) all of the above, especially e) and f)
h) actually a Chi-Kor book to bring things into Asia so they can re-use NVA/Vietcong minis

If a decent release is to be had soon-ish, No Cheers
If release announced for far-ish future with little content, Normal Cheers
If there is no attempt at a release and Phil tries to justify it, Maximum Cheers

shoot, bad spoiler tag at the end there.

>b) actually good, with four or more formations covering the core equipment (inf, T-34s, KVs, sappers/shtraf/guards)

Considering that Battlefront has learned that people intensely disliked how DR/AK had few companies in them, and FF and A! have more in them, this is probably the most likely option. Plastic KVs were not talked about in the 2018 teaser, but I would put them as Likely to see.
At the risk of famous last words, they can't make Hen and Chicks worse.

>A!
>more in them
3 companies in the book isn't more.

>At the risk of famous last words, they can't make Hen and Chicks worse.
Screencapped in case of Cheers.

A plastic KV kit will definitely happen. Thanks to TANKS! most of the Soviet MW/LW armoured vehicles are already available in plastic, and a KV kit will just finish the lineup.

>At the risk of famous last words, they can't make Hen and Chicks worse.
as said, screen-capped in case of cheers.
That said, what I was talking about was hens&chicks for EVERYONE.

But you can get so many more options through the command cards!

I'm just happy Italians got a book at all.

some 47mm AT and 75mm AA guns I finished. Still the infantry in the back to do.

Looking good!

Could maybe us a wash, but that could just be the picture.

The colours will look a lot better after I varnish them

also here's some tank insignia I just finished freehanding

no idea why these are sideways...

Operation Market-Garden 1944 (3): The British XXX Corps Missions (Osprey Campaign 317)

Field Marshal Montgomery's plan to get Second British Army behind the fortifications of the German Siegfried Line in 1944 led to the hugely ambitions Operation Market-Garden. Part of this plan called for a rapid advance from Belgium through Holland up to and across the lower Rhine by the British XXX Corps along a single road already dominated by airborne troops. Their objective along this road was the bridge at Arnhem, the target of British and Polish airborne troops. Once XXX Corps had reached this bridge it would then make for the German industrial area of the Ruhr. The operation was bold in outlook but risky in concept. Using specially commissioned artwork and detailed analysis, Ken Ford completes his trilogy on Operation Market-Garden by examining this attack which, if successful, could have shortened the war in the west considerably. Yet it turned out to be a bridge too far.

mediafire.com/file/3a2s4932sks0ba1/Osprey - CAM 317 - Operation Market Garden 1944 (3) The British XXX Corps Missions.pdf

You forgot the most important thing and that is that our panzers can be wrapped up nice and tight in shurzen.

More seriously I think the Eastern Front Germans will actually have a normal infantry organization where I don't have to take the stupid AT rifle and can just buy a fat stack of guys. I also would bet that StuGs will be a combat platoon for infantry and SS will be a card.