Worst G

Thoughts on being the Chosen One and changing one's fate?

Chosen ones are lame
Saving the world is lame
Having a "fate" is lame

Fuck all these over-bloated high stakes campaigns. Can I just be in a comfy adventure-guild game where the only stakes are the character's personal goals? Fuck, I'm so sick of all the try-hard'ing.

>fuck people liking what i don't like

It's not even that I dislike those things, I'm just sick of them because of how over-saturated they are. I just want something different and less wana-be SPR SRS for once.

All hail Lelouch?

Tried that once for same reasons. Turns out that these people who argue against long plots and overused tropes couldn't' come up with anything to make their sandbox game fun. I think players forget they want the DM to provide something for them to do or else they'd be home writing their own stories or playing video games. It wasn't for lack of putting things into the world either, I had stupid dungeons and scenarios set up but they refused to take initiative to search them out and the game was explicitly for them to pursue their own shit without me railroading them on a plot.

I'm not arguing for a sandbox. Just lower stakes and more comfy games where characters can be characters without having to worry about being the heroes the entire world needs them to be.

A good Chosen One story always examines what or whoever (preferably whoever) does the choosing. What are their qualifications? What have they chosen you to do? What are the prerequisites for being chosen?

>Players look over a deep dark pit with screams echoing from below
>a phantom woman looms over top of the pit and invites the party leader forward
>YOU are the chosen one, step into the pit to take hold of your birth rite and achieve immortality!
>he does it
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh----
>disapears
>rest of party, what the hell?!
>phantom lady: oops, I'm sorry, I meant to call forth the man with the long bow
>guy with long bow: my name's Mike
>phantom lady: MIKE! YOU are the chosen one, step into the pit to take hold of your birth rite and achieve immortality!
>Mike steps forward
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhh----
>disappears
>rest of party, a bard and a rogue, both begin making rolls to seduce phantom
>campaign ends with tables flipped

Also, what's with special eyes in many mythologies?

the eyes are the window to the soul

>DM all but declares players as the Chosen Ones
>PC dies
>Other PCs decide not to resurrect him since he was a dick
>Oh look another Chosen One, replacement PC, wanders onto our group in the middle of the wilderness
>Completely different PC is bored with his character
>Kills himself out of "guilt" because one innocent NPC was killed during a crossfire
>Oh look another Chosen One found his way to the group in town

"Fate can choose as many chosen ones as necessary. What, you losers thought you were the first?"

>Oh wow how do these fated people always appear when one of us falls? It's almost like some greater force is guiding things.

Lucina is not really an example, since the "god" that allowed her the opportunity had no way of guaranteeing any results. She and her friends could have failed hard or died in a ditch before even really starting on the path to change fate.

I once run a campaign where the players were part of a country-wide military police.

At one point, after having to walk for a good bit after the train crashed, they met a priest living in a hut in the mountains.
Even though the concept of choosen ones was not metaphysicly real, he made them believe that they were the ones and send them to a village where the landing ground of an ancient craft lies in order to be recruited to do some alien hunting by an AI hologramm

"SHUT UP AND GET IN THE MECH SHINJI"

Yikes

To be honest I never did that because I didn't want to be cliche.
But now I'm doing a Final Fantasy game and boy am I excited to make a gentle woman voice to declare the players the Warriors of Light. With any luck, It's gonna be grand. Just embrace the ol' good cliches and nake the players go "oooh so It's like in [the fun thing]".
I am so going to create a collection of allies just so they can show up and help at the final encounter".
I am doing the most goody two shoes, fairy tale game ever.
As of fate and destiny, the thing is to make the chosen one accept his role as in "I am so things are happening" and not "things are happening so here I am".
To a person who discovered himself, words of fate and destiny don't matter because he would do the thing either way.
If a chosen one decides to fuck everything, obviously he was not the one.

guardians make their own fate

What if it was their fate to change their own destiny?

Making a campaign about a Chosen One saving the day is good and all...

But what about a story that questions what it truly means to be a Chosen One and how it might affect those who are chosen in the first place,both mentally and physically?

Those questions give rise to answers that destroy worlds.