Hey guys, I have an idea for a fun thread

Hey guys, I have an idea for a fun thread.
Let's take a classic enemy type, then posit a single small change that makes them much more threatening. I'll start.

Skeletons will hunt out sturdier, larger bones to replace their own with.

Goblins will constantly attempt to impregnate the strongest females they can find in order to produce stronger goblins.

Ghosts will always look like the last person you killed or saw die, if possible.

demons ping as good aligned

Dragons have no legs, forcing them to never land and engage the scrappy band of adventurous in combat.

Animated armor and golems have been known to drench themselves is radiation and toxic chemicals in order to harm any biological creatures that come near them.

Or someone you were certain was alive last you saw them.

Dragons that can induce lycanthropy to forcibly create dragonborne cults

In an investigation campaign that can be fucking terrifying

I will hit you.

Skeletons will try to climb inside people, giving them meat armor and added strength (and, you know, killing the person).

Oozes can evaporate into mustard gas, move and then reconstitute themselves at will.

>Goblins are all male, and fail to understand gender correctly.

>Thus, when on their sprees, they will rape anyone and anything living, simply because they can't tell the difference.

>and, you know, killing the person
You don't know that, maybe you are just the meat armor for some skeleton. Maybe you ARE the skeleton and you've forgotten.

I was thinking more existential horror due to such evil alien beings are good in a cosmic sense. Does that mean that we are evil? does that mean that there is something more horrible that they fight? etc.

>reconstitute inside an adventurer

I don't know if I'm aroused or full of existential horror

Skeletons, but on Wheels

this takes it too far
DELET

No, I'm a lump of neural matter piloting a skeleton like a mecha.

Beholders now have an additional eye in the back of their head.

Kobolds now wear suicide vests.

Zombies explode on death.

Slimes can now burrow through your skin like that one scene from The Mummy.

>gay
>for a genderless species
>not enjoying a good proatate massage from a slender shota gobbo
FUCK, you might be right

>Continues rolling in place when it hits something

That isn't how physics works.

That's part of its power

It stands up and begins manually rotating the wheel.

Goblin's and goblinoids are demon kin and come from hell through holes in reality as the first sign of a demonic incursion

Zombies have illusion magic placed upon them so they look like the rotting corpses of a loved one or guilty kill to whoever looks at them

Kobolds have a jaw structure similar to a crocodiles, allowing them to bite with much more force then their size suggests, falling into the range of smaller crocodiles and alligators.

Air elementals.

Kobolds test pack dominance by locking jaws and trying to over power each other.

The kobolds with the most powerful jaws rule.

All undead look like someone other than the person they were in life, often appearing as loved ones of the veiwer or someone viewers all know.

Giant spiders leave singular, razor sharp strands of web. Coaxed in toxins and prepared to heavily injure but not kill their prey.

Forest skeletons are weird abominations of mismatched bones of anything that died in the forest constantly fine tuning themselves.
Since they lack a core part, they can't be stopped until you destroy them completely

Undead mimic human cries for help

Stolen, thats brilliant. Puts the paladins and clerics into a fit of paranoia

don't toy with my emotions like that, if only that was true

Mimics can swallow whole and move through solid matter.

Necromancers can raise the skeletons of still-living creatures.

Crazy evil cultists are organized like a spy network.

Bandits prepare ambushes for specific adventurer parties after thorough recon and preparation (all to get at that sweet magical equipment).

Orcs always avenge their dead, even if it takes years.

Why would weighing down such a strong creature with useless animal fat make it stronger?

dat blunt damage resistance tho

Orcs emit spores when killed, each of which grows into another orc.
No one said I can't steal

Giants were the precursor race who first tapped into magic, left all the ancient ruins dotting the continent and probably also moved mountains and rivers to where they are now. Nobody knows why they disappeared and only left brute trolls, ogres and cyclopses.

>The god of goblins dislikes his followers raping of males, as he feels it's a waste of their ability to spread.

>Unable to convince them to only rape females, he instead begins to offer a blessing to his priests: Those so blessed will cause anyone they rape to become female during the act, so they can be impregnated and thus further the spread of goblins.

oh gods how horryfing

literally every Demon: the Fallen game ever... next

The god of goblins once got really drunk and lost a bet with the god of Paladins, so now whenever a Paladin tries to smite and misses, the attack will hit a random goblin somewhere in the world.

Lots of illusory undead, I see.

>Get sandwiched between them.

I'm pretty sure I'm a ghost spontaneously generated by a complete body and in turn influencing that body.

Elves are not only better skilled, but also wise. So they are not blinded by hubris.

Common housecats hold grudges, and coordinate with each other to arrange sizable ambushes to avenge those grudges against commoners and low-level spellcasters.

How does this make them more threatening?

>Kobolds test pack dominance by locking jaws and trying to over power each other.
This would be a hilarious way for the PCs to escape if they were overpowered by a gang of kobolds.

>PCs nervously whispering to each other as they futilely struggle to untie themselves while the kobolds encircling them sharpen their knives
>"Hang on guys, I've got an idea."
>bard looks around, finds the fifth-largest kobold
>"OH, HOW AWFUL! WE'RE GOING TO DIE, AND THAT ONE IS GOING TO TAKE MY MAGIC RING!"
>biggest kobold gets upset and insists that HE's going to get the bard's magic ring
>"Oh, no, that other kobold has a MUCH larger set of jaws than you. I mean, look at him!"
>PCs able to sneak away while the kobolds are busy lockjawing each other to see who gets the magic ring

>How does this make them more threatening?
The looming threat of a magically-talented giant showing up and kicking your ass for bullying his retarded grandson

Owlbears can fly.

Kill all housecats campaign when?

Admittedly I'm not too familiar with the setting, but isn't that how Warhammer Fantasy dwarves do things?

Invisible stalkers with bows.

Elementals spread their sentience among their element the more time they spend on the prime material plane. Put an earth elemental in the backyard and the next day, the yard will be dotted with holes where the ground "woke up" and left. Keeping an air elemental around for longer than a few hours is a notoriously bad idea.

You wot mate, does the air not "fill in the hole"?

Giant spiders, by virtue of their significantly larger heads, have enough room for a brain with 3 or more INT. They are now sentient, thinking predators with an undetermined level of intelligence.

Spiders already have decent problem solving skills, they just prefer to wait and ambush unless they're assassin spiders.

So we're playing an Elder Scrolls campaign

I miss morrowind.
I had a spell that just made enemies float away.

but user ,my goblins always behave like that

That's basically an ettercap

I had a big devil in my current investigation campaign ping as an angel because he's wearing an angel's severed halo as a necklace while he's in human form

he also never lies as his oath of truth is binding him to the material realm, allowing him to walk in the material realm without constant need for cultists or sacrifices but is still a grand deceiver

Even if it does it's a potential gray goo type scenario where air keeps awakening air keeps awakening air

it sounds really metal when you put it that way

THIS LAND IS PEACEFUL
ITS INHABITANTS KIND

>Beholders now have an additional eye in the back of their head.
effective, could be OP
>Kobolds now wear suicide vests.
I think people still wouldn't take them seriously
>Zombies explode on death.
sounds good until you realize Notch already invented Creepers
>Slimes can now burrow through your skin like that one scene from The Mummy.
the scarab scene? fuck me

a picture that drives you insane