EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous:>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
What do you use to represent your life in game? What about commander damage and poison counters?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/did-someone-say-goblins-2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/red-mycosynth/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/b-e-h-i-n-d-t-h-e-s-u-n/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-11-17-rat-rack/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

currently playing
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/did-someone-say-goblins-2/
currently building
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/red-mycosynth/

I need some pointers/suggestions on the deck I'm building (I'm not switching off of monored til it's fully built however)

First for Brainlet-Tier Spindowns and Iona Did Nothing Wrong

>What do you use to represent your life in game? What about commander damage and poison counters?
Either spindwons or phone calculator/app.

>thread question

D20 for everything but +1/+1 counters, just as God intended.

Fuck Iona and fuck you too. Trips and I will cum on my ftv angels Iona.

Speaking of Iona and her non-wrongness, I've put together a mono-white (yes, I know, laugh) deck, to finish the set of mono-coloured decks that I have built. I made it stax/control and seeing as it's the first time I ever made a white deck, I have no idea what to take out, what to add in, anything. A little help would be appreciated

Decklist: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/b-e-h-i-n-d-t-h-e-s-u-n/

>What do you use to represent your life in game? What about commander damage and poison counters?
Pen & paper for life total, as well as commander damage I've taken from each commander and dealt to each player.
d10 for poison, or d20 depending on the house rules.

I need your advice /edhg/
I've taken apart my Jarad deck and want to build something new without having to invest too heavily (already got stuff like Survival, YawgWin, Vampiric, NatOrder, Crypt).
I'm thinking either Mono B, Mono G, another Golgari commander (Savra comes to mind) or Ruric Thar creature-only.
Please help

I fucking love the commander anthology life counter. Picked one up off ebay for a few bucks and I use it for anything MTG now. Commander damage I just use a person's d6 since we all have our own collection of dice.

Xira lands, fampai.

I use a magnadoodle for life, found this bad boy on the side of the road one day.

Currently working on a Cao Cao discard deck, but it needs a trim, im 8 over.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-11-17-rat-rack/

What would you take out Veeky Forums

Is that like a not overpowered Gitrog?

It's arguably less reliable but can do fun stuff like Angry Borb + Gitrog machine gunning.

I'm a big fan of this thing, I traded for one of the decks just to fool around with and it came in the box. Best deal I've gotten so far

Ruric Thar is actually really good, especially when you take the time to make it creature-heavy. Creature-only is ok, but it's worth they hit to put in Primal Surge, Lurking Predators, Cream of the Crop, and that one green enchantment that lets you choose between drawing a land or a nonland card. Forgot what the name is.
Also, plz help

iona is keeping painter's servant out of the format. That and grindstone apparently (holy shit the RC is so fucking moronic)

>What do you use to represent your life in game?
A d8 and a d10.
>What about commander damage and poison counters?
Spindowns for Commander damage, a d10 ontop of a poison token card for poison.

>What do you use to represent your life in game?
Pen and paper
>What about commander damage and poison counters?
I used to use a poison token with a D12, but with the recent rules changes I switched to pen and paper.

Specter's Shroud is too slow.
Culling the Weak and Sacrifice are better in token style decks.
Emrakul and It That Betrays are good game enders but cost way too much mana, you need to figure out if you can get them out consitently.
Victimze and Ink-Eyes are alright for reanimator decks.
Helldozer is a great card but it doesn't fit with the discard theme of the deck imo.

>iona is keeping painter's servant out of the format
Good.

How to do Samurai tribal

Trying to come up with a Commander Masters list is surprisingly more difficult than I thought. Even without a fucking MUH LIMITED stipulation.

>He doesn't use Sakashima in EVERY Blue deck
What the fuck is wrong with you?

>he has multiple blue decks

>t1 entomb Iona t2 exhume is still in the game
>coalition victory is banned

How the fuck does this goober even win? He looks pretty neat

Even if you only have one blue deck it should be using Sakashima.

>Iona is legal
>Griselbrand isn't

Why the flying fuck is this still banned?

Dumb janky combos.

Because Sheldon got dunked on with it

Blinking a Sakashima token from Scarab God seems stupid
Isn't good in spellslinger either

>brainlets think t2 Iona is game-winning in a multiplayer format with 40 starting life

Any competent player using RN leaves exactly 0 room for interaction outside The Stack

I love this thing as well. It gets tricky if I ever happen to go over 100 life though, in which case I use additional d10 to represent the hundreds

>incels think being locked out of the game as a mono coloured deck from the start promotes interactive and healthy gameplay

So fucking what? There is way more busted shit legal than RN.

I don't see you bitching about Blood Moon.

If a single, CREATURE, card is all it takes to make Monobabies cry then so be it.

Repeating reanimation without out except for counterspells, how about?

>using overly greedy manabases

So the Iona plays against 3 same coloured monos? There's literally nothing wrong with Iona, and besides, I'd rather entomb any other creature such as Protean hulk or Sire of insanity.

I thought it was obvious that the retard is playing mono and is salty about Iona because of that. It also would explain why he doesn't think about Blood moon.

Such as...?

Because like with Prime Time, Prophet of Kruphix and Erayo, it would absolutely wreck casual metas, ie. what the banlist is primarly for.

I don't own a single green deck. In fact after slimming down I only have Esper and Rakdos right now.

I'm running mono-U, is it acceptable to run Palinchron or do most people see it as too degenerate and send hate?

>Prophet of Kruphix
Fucking dickhead Mimeo player in my meta unironically used this card and took half hour turns DURING EVERYONE ELSE'S TURNS and swore up and down that it was completely fair and balanced. It wasn't until it actually got banned that he started agreeing it was OP.

My only Green deck and my only Blue deck is Gay Kangz.

if you play palinchron, expect hate once you gain any ground

What is the cheekiest, dirtiest, spiciest combo for an entwined tooth and nail? Idc about color.

Eternal Witness + Anything
Blightsteel Colossus + Anything
Phage the Untouchable + Platinum Angel

>2 card combo is still in the game
>1 card + your 5c commander combo is banned
Woe is me, I have to run shocks, fetches and land ramp to make Coalition Victory work!

Avacyn (Hope) + Archetype of Endurance

The Eldrazi make the reanimator package worthwhile, helldozer is not bad with all the trigger ability copy artifacts he's running.

I agree about the Specters shadow being a bit unreliable, you probably dont need as much discard or rack cards either if you're looking to win through ramp and grave shenanigans

i would avoid it unless you're in a high power meta

if you need to run the combo for your deck to work, you could run great whale or peregrine drake as a toned down version of it, and combine it with deadeye navigator for a somewhat answerable combo

So I went to the lgs near my place last night. Went with a few friends who meet up fairly regularly, at least once a month. Been playing for years so we kind of know what power level everyone is at.

This local store does Thursday night edh. It’s a casual event, no buy in or anything but you get a pack for participating and some store credit if you win your pod. We’re all pretty casual. Lots of different decks and play styles but we don’t usually do infinite combos. On occasion someone will do something but it’ll be like 5-6 card combo or some shit and it can be handled if you are paying attention.

Anyway, last night we play with this dude who’s running mono blue Kami. I am not in his pod but I have a good view of everything going on. He ends up using
tunnel vision and hinder to knock out the scarab god deck, then wins his pod with labman after milling himself.

Then, he starts talking about his next project which is Teferi and knowledge pool, which is a pretty hard lock if it lands. Of course running mono blue, I’m sure he’ll make sure it sticks by having a few counterspells etc in hand before trying to play it.

I don’t want to be one of those guys that complains about a deck like that, but it rubbed me the wrong way. I just can’t get behind the idea of running something that is literally “you get to watch me play magic” at a casual environment.

I also bring it up because this is the second week I’ve gone and I’ve brought my play group and we are the majority of the people in the games. If my group didn’t show, they probably don’t fire off because they have 2 guys and the guy running the shop. I had 5 come, myself included. I know I’m not the only one in my group who was put off by that shit but I guess I’m wondering how you guys would have handled it or felt about it.

Tl;dr some guy ran a mono blue deck and annoyed me with his over competitiveness in a casual environment.

ok well what do you want

so 3v1 him until he gets the idea

So just don't play with him, you're not required to

>tried using 2d10 for life, but it turned out tedious with the numbers randomized for rolling, not spindown

Wasn't the intention to use a pad of paper and write down life totals?

What are you supposed to do with Panharmonicon doubling Zacama's "untap all lands"
effect? After the initial effect resolves, cast something big before the copied effect resolves?

>phone app
You must be over 18 to post here.

You can just tap the lands and float the mana. You don't lose it in between the resolution of the OG and copued ability.

Probably just to not deal with it again lol.

I thought pretty hard about playing my Venser deck against him next week just to shut him down. Don’t care if I win the game or not but not let him do shit. Counter everything, take everything. Whatever. Because if that’s what he wants to do, then why not make it as hard as possible for him.

But I also don’t care to put that sort of effort into it when I can just not go and have my casual meet ups and feel good about hanging out with some friends and enjoying a game that I like to play.

The guy playing Oloro had this problem then and kept complaining so we started to kill him really early with poison or commander damage so he changed commanders and that fixed a lot of issues.

Yea we had that same idea. Just make it unbearable and not give him an inch. My Venser and a buddies Derevi would ruin him.

This is probably the right answer. But I don’t want to start shit with the shop, I’d rather just not go and meet my group for beers and casual games.

Thinking of getting the Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis deck
Is it good/easy to upgrade?

It's not really starting shit, just let them know your group isn't interested in playing against that and ask if they have another deck. I usually have 3 on hand just to offer them one if they want to hop in regardless and don't have a spare

The solution is to gang up on the dude playing the terrible deck. EDH is as much about politics as anything else. If he starts the game shouting "EVerybody kill me", then everybody should oblige.

The true balancing factor of EDH is, if you play decks that suck, you are playing 3v1 instead of free for all. A handful of counterspells is only good 1v1, while it is nearly useless when trying to hold back three people.

AKA

"Teach that boy a lesson."

Yea that’s a good idea. A friend of my stayed after I left and was talking about a budget Kresh deck he’s working on and he said that guy was like “none of my decks are budget”. So I don’t know what the likelihood of that is. But it’s worth a shot.

Yea, I don’t think he could hold us all back. I appreciate the reply.

How useful is Shield of Kaldra? It costs more cmc and to equip, but it otherwise seems to be a cheaper, redundancy for Darksteel Plate.

If you are running one, you should be running both

>He doesn't run Blasphemous Act in every Red deck

>Life totals double to 40 in EDH
>Poison counters still kill at 10
Why is this allowed?

>this guy showed up and donged on my totally casual group guys
>but I have this deck that could instantly beat him, I don't know if I should play it
You're the problem here. People can play EDH however they want. If you want to do something specific, talk to him about it. If he doesn't want to do whatever your autism demands, don't play with him, or play good decks against him.

"Casual" edh just means you Xenagos and Malignus with doublestrike on t4, or using Rise of the Dark Realms with some self mill instead of setting up a stax lock then comboing out when you get the resources. It's piss easy to create degenerate decks even with a firm budget, I don't know why you're complaining, other than "oh they're my friends so you should play how I want".

Grow up.

It's almost impossible to kill a table with poison counters, and most ways of doing it, like Triumph of the Hordes, could give a shit about how many you have to dish out.

I do, unless I want to get buttfucked by my own Repercussion

I recently received a second copy of the 2017 vampire deck. All i really want out of it is the Tefferi's Protection and bat tokens. If I were to shelve it for a few years, would i be able to sell it for a decent amount, or should i just open it for the card i want and put the rest in my binder?

Reminder to offer thanks to the moon for being such a good guy

So my playgroup is letting me build Grusilda provided I don't use any other silver cards in the 99. I really want to build her but have to ask, if I strolled into an LGS how often would you expect people would let me use the deck?

To each their own. I play for fun not for assholes who need to show their dominance in a casual group. Another deck was running unstable cards in their deck. That’s how casual the environment was. It was his first time playing edh.

The other deck “that could totally beat him but I’m not sure I should play” I have built was something I made when I first started playing. It shut down a table and while it was cool to see work, I don’t play it because it pisses people off. I read the room.

I appreciate your feedback as much as the others that have commented. I realize there are different play styles and what people consider fun. But I don’t think I’m being unreasonable and the other feedback I’ve received has pretty much let me know that.

Just curious what others would have done in the same situation. So I appreciate the response.

Depends on the group and if it’s casual or whatever. I don’t see the issue with it as long as you have something else with you in case they don’t want to play against it.

Maybe give it a dragon subtheme in the big stuff you reanimash and use bladewing as a backup commander in case of anal retentive gits?

Fair I guess.
Well I am running Grenzo right now. I can probably plug him in instead as the deck has a strong reanimation backbone theme.

Playing magic is fun. Playing magic "for fun" means someone will get incredibly ass-blasted if things don't go their way.

Also, I seriously doubt your Venser deck you just happened to build when you started shut down a full table, because as dedicated Venser user, my list costs like $600 and would have difficulty shutting down a table. Personally, I think you're full of shit and making up stories on the internet for some unknown reason.

Play magic, or don't. Don't bitch about other people playing magic outside of your special snowflake definition of fun.

Just make sure you pull off the ol' It That Betrays Phyrexian Obliterator combo.

Or Skittles and this bad boy.

>I use infinite combos in a casual format

>ol' It That Betrays Phyrexian Obliterator combo.
Way ahead of you my dude.
>Or Skittles and this bad boy.
Who the fack is Skittles? Skithiryx?

user, we're not going to forget that you spammed this exact shitty thing for like a week and zero people laughed.

This is not a regular general. This is Autism: The General.

Yup. It's a joke because no one can spell Skitheryx.

Ah okay. I prefer this guy for that. 8 power and double strike is great but if everything has double strike and you just get blocked it does fuck all for you.

>Don't bitch about other people playing magic outside of your special snowflake definition of fun.

Seems to me that’s exactly what you’re doing. Have a better day user. Sorry to have ruffled your feathers with a question.

You forget, your 12/12 flying infect doublestrike regenerate haste now also has menace because of your commander, whereas a 5/5 with doublestrike and trample isn't as good.

My special snowflake definition of fun was "playing magic". Yours has to do with some elaborate social contract and neutering decklists arbitrarily to read a room.

>favorite deck is stomping meta
>build some more casual decks with little protection/interaction
>they still end up winning the majority of my matches
I don't know what to do at this point. I feel bad stomping everyone. Do I just build a deck out of Draft chaff now? Is this what it's come to?

You try to improve other players decks at that point.

You can do this by discussing it with your playgroup, by making a king shit archenemy deck that need to team up to beat, or by letting them pilot your decks to learn new tech. Otherwise, you end up in a stagnate lame meta where nothing ever changes.

Build Riku so you'll never be stronger than what you play against.

>Otherwise, you end up in a stagnate lame meta where nothing ever changes.
Literally my life. My playmates refuse to ever upgrade their decks. It got so bad I won like 6 games in a row playing fucking Horde of Notions Reanimator and they told me I had to stop playing the deck forever.

There are a shitton of reasons as to why you might be winning. I met a lot of people who literally durdles instead of winning because they just find it fun to have convoluted board states, so they end up losing most of the time, but they don't care.

Depending on what your friends play, little protection won't do much. Also, if your deck is the only one off the power level, it seems you are the one at fault, but they don't gang up on you because they would feel bad about it.