Actual Thread Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:

Other urls found in this thread:

penguinrandomhouseretail.com/book/?isbn=9780786966240
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Where was the new slat book announced?

So, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes was announced. What is everyone looking forward to?

So I want to combine Dwarves and Gnomes into one Dwarvish race, with subraces. Parameters is that I want them to have small size, but have a unique trait like that of the Goliath where their size counts as one larger for carrying capacity and weapons, so they can use Heavy weapons.

What should I salvage from Dwarf and Gnome and put where? Should Gnomish cunning remain?

I am hoping Archdevils will be in there along with more demon lords.

Inevitables

The next official book to drop is Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
penguinrandomhouseretail.com/book/?isbn=9780786966240

Hopefully it'll give us stats for a veritable rogues gallery as well as that juicy planar lore.

I hope so too. Inevitables are a cool way to punish magic abuse.

Just delete gnomes like a sensible person.

Don't delete them, reflavor them into kobolds.
The racials fit them better than the ones they got in volos.

So here's a question that's probably going to get me a lot of hard "no" responses:

Is there any way to make a racial feat for genasi that lets them grant wishes? Not necessarily as per the spell, but the point is I want something that's sort of like it, or maybe like the Cleric ability to ask for divine intervention.

Three points would definitely include a good chance at failure (same way Divine Intervention works), the fact that it can only be used like 1/week, and the fact that a genasi can't grant its own wishes, only those that others make.

I reflavor them as the gremlins from Spiral Knights.

I don't want to delete them, and I don't want to reflavour them either.

I want to combine them mechanically. Make a Dwarf race, with different subraces based around Mines and Mountains, Hearth and Craft, and Nature and Magic.

Basically stick Dwarves and Gnomes into a blender, and see what comes out.

That would only make dwarves shit. Gnomes are irredeemable.

As they are in the game right now, Dwarves are boring and Gnomes are disconnected. I want to fix both problems.

>I want to fix both problems.

the mantra of every homebrewer before he creates a gigantic pile of steaming dung.pdf

No. That's incredibly retarded.

That's nice. You actually going to provide something constructive or just going to bitch that i'm not using the book as gospel?

Long story short, anons, I want to make a race for my setting inspired by the "Gnomeferatu" of Heroes of Hearthstone. How does this look, as a rough 1st draft?

Gnomeferatu
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Strength
Size: Small
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 120 feet
Sunlight Allergen: You suffer Disadvantage on Attack Rolls and on Perception checks based on sight if you, or the subject of your attack/scrutiny, is in direct sunlight. Additionally, if forced to make an Exhaustion check whilst your skin is exposed to sunlight, you have Disadvantage on the check.
Gnomeferatu Resilience: You have Resistance to Necrotic damage.
Blood Thirst. You can drain blood and life energy from a willing creature, or one that is grappled by you, incapacitated, or restrained. Make a melee attack against the target. If you hit, you deal 1 piercing damage and 1d6 necrotic damage. The target’s hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the necrotic damage taken, and you regain hit points equal to that amount. The reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0. If you kill a humanoid in this way, you can remove 1 level of Fatigue (if you have any).
Gnomeferatu Grace: You have Proficiency in Athletics.

>allowed my characters to request items that an npc will make for them
>gave them.boons
>they're level 8
>will still be giving them deadly encounters
>they're having a fucking blast
Am I overpowering them?

Oh, and some racial feats I created to add more "vampire" flavor to the race without overpowering the base-race, ala Svirfneblin.

Racial Feat: Wallcreeper
Prerequisite: Gnomeferatu race
Effect: You gain a Climb speed of 30 feet. You can move upside down across ceilings without needing to make an ability check.

Racial Feat: Gnomeferatu Magic
Effect: You can cast the Toll The Dead cantrip. At 3rd level, you can cast Cause Fear as a 1st level spell once per long rest. At 5th level, you can cast Gaseous Form on yourself only once per long rest. Spells cast through this trait use Charisma as their spellcasting ability score.

Tame the Children of the Night
Prerequisite: Gnomeferatu race, Proficiency in Animal Handling.
Effect: You can communicate simple ideas with Small or smaller beasts, and gain Advantage on Animal Handling checks. Gnomeferatu tend to prefer "dark" beasts such as bats, rats, centipedes and spiders.

dwarves aren't boring because good players don't need splat books to make their PCs memorable.

nothing wrong with gnomes, although I really like (You)

yall are just a bunch of perpetually disappointed theory crafters who should actually play a game sometime instead of trying to fix nits that don't actually exist.

that's about as constructive as I can get.

could you LITERALLY have not combined these posts

I mean if you're going to spam your own shitty pasta at least take two fucking seconds to edit

Even GAYer than multiclassing.

Dwarves are pretty boring user, they're just short, drunk humans.

Just play a human and make it interesting

Working through Sunless Citadel and my friends are trying to find a way to mess with the DM. POSSIBLE SUNLESS CITADEL/YAWNING PORTAL SPOILERS AHEAD

So we've decided that we want to capture the white dragon. Our party has agreed to help the kobolds capture the dragon, which has allowed us to gather information about it and how to make it listen to us. I'm playing a tranquility monk and will be able to have sanctuary up, but I also have the grappler feat and the animal handler feat. A friend of mine has also taken animal handler. What would be the best way of capturing and training this white dragon? Has anyone here had that happen while playing through Sunless Citadel?

>dwarves aren't boring because good players don't need splat books to make their PCs memorable

Dwarves are boring because they're one note characters. Sure someone could make an interesting dwarf, but rarely ever do they actually.

I play this game very often, and I want to change it because i'm dissatisfied with available options, or do you expect me to continue playing in shit just because the book says so?

I think the idea could work, but you're going to have to actually do it and get feedback and not be a pussy about it.

As a player I would find that ability far too GM dependent to rely on to spend my ASI on it. How about giving them a mini wish ability that lets them cast any 1st level spell 1/day? That would be worth it.

Too big to fit into one post. I wouldn't make them a two-post thing I could avoid it.

Monster HP seem to scale pretty fast in 5E, does PC damage output and HP scale as quick? Or are we to assume 1 monster and 4 PCs?

Depends on the class tbqh
Playing a bard at one point I was dealing an average of 8 damage per attack while a paladin in our party was dealing ~18-20 average per attack.

Would Wizards be balanced if they used Vancian casting?

Gnomeferatu (inspired by Heros of Hearthstone)
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Cha, +1 Str
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 120 feet
Sunlight Allergen: You suffer Disadvantage on Attack Rolls and on Perception checks based on sight if you, or the subject of your attack/scrutiny, is in direct sunlight. Additionally, if forced to make an Exhaustion check whilst your skin is exposed to sunlight, you have Disadvantage on the check.
Gnomeferatu Resilience: You have Resistance to Necrotic damage.
Blood Thirst. You can drain blood and life energy from a willing creature, or one that is grappled by you, incapacitated, or restrained. Make a melee attack against the target. If you hit, you deal 1 piercing damage and 1d6 necrotic damage. The target’s hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the necrotic damage taken, and you regain hit points equal to that amount. The reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0. If you kill a humanoid in this way, you can remove 1 level of Fatigue (if you have any).
Gnomeferatu Grace: You have Proficiency in Athletics.

Racial feats to add more "vampire" flavor:

Racial Feat: Wallcreeper
Effect: You gain a Climb speed of 30 feet. You can move on ceilings as if it were a vertical wall.

Racial Feat: Gnomeferatu Magic
Effect: You can cast the Toll The Dead cantrip. At 3rd level, you can cast Cause Fear as a 1st level spell once per long rest. At 5th level, you can cast Gaseous Form on yourself only once per long rest. Spells cast through this trait use Charisma as their spellcasting ability score.

Tame the Children of the Night
Prerequisite: Gnomeferatu race, Proficiency in Animal Handling.
Effect: You can communicate simple ideas with Small or smaller beasts, and gain Advantage on Animal Handling checks. Gnomeferatu tend to prefer "dark" beasts such as bats, rats, centipedes and spiders.

DOUBLE GAY

1. your welcome
2. your a lazy faggot that took 3 minutes and I didn't even read any of it, mostly just took out your self centered pandering
3. now you understand why homebrewfags put things in pdf so they can properly be ignored

your mom

Afraid I got to go with the others and say 'no'. At least as I understand your idea.

Maybe if instead you let him cast one time per long rest a cleric spell at will of X level (scale somehow) and say that it has to be spoken in the format of a wish.

Call it a feat. Add in the chance for failure and/or DM dickery.

>How about giving them a mini wish ability that lets them cast any 1st level spell 1/day?

I'm cool with it.

>WISH CRAFTER
>Prerequisite: Genasi

>You are descended from a noble genie, and have the ability to grant wishes – of a sort. To make a wish, a creature within 30 feet of you must clearly state its intended wish to you in a language you can understand, and it must be clearly phrased as a wish (requiring no action). You are free to ignore the wish if you like. If you decide to attempt to grant it, you may do so by casting a 1st-level spell from any class' spell list, without using material components or expending a spell slot, in order to grant that wish. The chosen spell must in some way fulfill the wish made.

>You cannot grant wishes for yourself in this way. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for that spell. Once you cast a spell in this way, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest.

I don't think you'll be able to do much with that, even if they're the most bestial of the dragons, they're still dragons.

Is there any up to date tier listings for builds? I'm thinking of some vague builds for my first game of 5e but want at least some idea of how they stack up.

So, question; if Mordenkainen's Tome is going to be our first big multiversial supplement, what could actually be in it given that we had all of the mechanics of visiting various planes in the DMG?

At the very least, please tell me it can have something to it other than the &#%! Blood War...

>I think the idea could work, but you're going to have to actually do it and get feedback and not be a pussy about it.

How about this, literally just threw this together.

Dwarf Gnome Mashup WIP

+2 CON
Speed: 25ft
Darkivision: 60ft.
Dwarven Brawn: Count as one size larger when determining carrying capacity and weight you can push, drag, lift. Can wield Heavy weapons without disadvantage.
Dwarven Cunning. Vou have advantage on ali Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against magic.
Tool Proficiency: Gain proficiency with smith’s tools, brewers supplies, mason’s tools, or tinker’s tools.
Maybe Dwarven Resilence?
Maybe Dwarven Weapon Proficiencies?
Languages: Speak and write Common and Dwarvish

Mountain Dwarf:
+1 STR
Proficiency with Light/Medium armor.
Stonecunning

Longbeard Dwarf:
+1 WIS
Cantrip: Minor Illusion
Beast Speech

Nocker Dwarf:
+1 INT
Artificer’s Lore
Make some small potion or device that does some small effect similar to the Gnome Tinker trait or Artificer.

so how would you not just have the party members constantly going "gensi I wish for X"

it's like granting the rogue double sneak damage if someone else calls out "get him in the giblets!" once per long rest

you're doing this and just calling it a dwarf?

Could call it a Gnome instead, want to just get the statistics down first.

My players are going down into an old dwarven mine tomorrow. I already got encounters, traps and plot-shit figured out, but can anyone give me some fun flavor shit to throw in? Like, a bar where the miners hid some old strong alcohol for the party to potentially find, or some fun trinkets/whatever for them to find during their descent into the dungeon?

Could call it a Gnome instead, just want to get statistics down first.

>Could call it a Gnome instead

now that's thinking outside the box

>spells that scale with str, dex, or con, even
How would you balance these? Just as is because casters dump these stats anyhow?

Alright fine, let's do this shit.

>Fluff
Personally, I hate it. Vampire/Gnome mix sounds extremely "penguin of doom" tier, but if you can spin it in a way that suits your campaign more power to you.

>Crunch
Pretty poor. The Sunlight Allergen is an even worse Sunlight Sensitivity, even if Blood Thirst alleviates the fatigue. This is a very weak race, and this is coming from someone who does a lot of racial homebrews that end up fairly weak. I would say adjust sunlight allergen and meld in the racial feats into subraces.

>Racial feats
Not really worth giving up a feat for. Make these subraces instead. The last one, Tame the Children of the Night, should not give permanent Advantage on Animal Handling checks without some sort of prerequisite first.

There's your critique, now stop spamming this everywhere.

Wouldn't have much point in doing this, making the dwarf more interesting, if I didn't call it a dwarf now would it?

You going to give actual feedback or just going to bitch?

>so how would you not just have the party members constantly going "gensi I wish for X"

Well, for one thing it's only once per rest. For another the spells are 1st level only, and locked in to 1st level, so it's not exactly unbalancing, particularly since the genasi can't pick it up until 4th level and gives up an ASI for something that explicitly does nothing for him.

Still, do you have any suggestions? I am open to any alternatives.

I would try to balance it around Mage initiate. Currently its a bit weaker. Maybe let it give presto thaumaturgy or something too? I dunno.

Why are there 2 generals up?

The other is the shad troll.

Because of the WFRP trove?

Part two, electric gnomealoo.

>Fluff
I'm not sure if I get the dwarf/gnome mashup either. What angle are you going for? Are you making them like traditional trickster spirits or are you simply just melding the dwarf and gnome? Is it a Gnorf now? In any case, kind of bland and safe I suppose.

>Crunch
Pretty similar to the two races, looks like the normal dwarf chassis with gnome subraces tacked on. Probably won't unbalance much as the base dwarf racials are pretty good before subraces are factored in. Mountain Dwarf subrace doesn't really get much to be all that appealing and would probably benefit from Dwarven Toughness instead of armor proficiencies.
If you want them to wield heavy weapons without disadvantage you could consider them Medium creatures and remove the Dwarven Brawn ability, as that seems like you're just making them small for the sake of being small and loosely patching in all the missing bits of being a medium creature.

You know, of all the things I expected to hear, that this race is too WEAK is not one of them. It's got 30ft movement despite being Small, 120ft darkvision, an at-will healing attack (stolen from the Plane Shift vampire, admittedly), Necrotic Damage Resistance and a free skill proficiency. Even with the Sunlight Allergen being a bit beefier than the normal Sunlight Sensitivity, this is still a pretty strong race, isn't it?

Heck, I actually splintered the feats off because I was sure they were too strong to make basic racial traits.

I would put them on the Wizard and Sorc lists because I'm guessing they would be tailored toward AT, EK, and fightier Sorcs like Dragon or Stone. Balance (as usual) requires a bit more info for me to make a call, though. If we were going to build them for partial casters, I would make them the sort of spell you only have to cast once or twice per day like Mage Armor or Dream. So either long duration with a small but noticeable effect or a powerful but situational spell.

Honestly I don't even mind that but I'm posting in this thread because his always get deleted anyway. Besides, it's only a matter of time before he shits up his own thread.

>What angle are you going for?

Folklore dwarves and returning dwarves to the pre 3e size of small and returning gnomes to basically a kind of dwarf.

>Mountain Dwarf subrace doesn't really get much to be all that appealing and would probably benefit from Dwarven Toughness instead of armor proficiencies.

That does make more sense, having the armor proficiency is bound to just result in race class overlaps with their stat spread.

>You're just making them small for the sake of being small and loosely patching in all the missing bits of being a medium creature.

Yes. One of the things i'm not budging on is making them Small, but they're also brawny sorts, so they should have the strength to compensate when it comes to carrying and wielding weapons. Surely there are other drawbacks to being small. Your speed is slower than average.

>30 ft movement
Small races usually get a strong feature to make up for their lack of maneuverability.
>120 ft darkvision
Balanced out by sunlight sensitivity, though most DMs forget that darkvision allows beings to see in total darkness as dim light which grants disadvantage on Perception checks.
>Necrotic resistance
Necrotic isn't a damage type I see all too often in my experience, and having resistance to one damage type doesn't break much of anything.
>At-will healing
Yeah I'll agree it's a little powerful. It's also subject to the bag of rats abuse. If you think it's too strong, possibly tweak it to make it a worthwhile short rest ability instead.

Actually, an addendum, if you still want it to be an at-will feature, why not have Blood Thirst grant temporary HP instead of at-will healing?

Hmm... I literally stole Blood Thirst from the Plane Shift vampire PC race, but doing it as temp HP instead of proper healing would be a good boost.

In fact, I actually could really stand to figure out what are decent abilities to give them altogether. Ideally, I'd like them to feel like a blend of "short vampire" and "necromantic gnome" in racial flavor.

Problem is, there's not a lot to the generic gnome race - that free "Advantage on Mental saves vs. magic" is it.

So... yeah, I'm actually open to reworking these from the ground up.

Alright, however I don't think small or medium creatures have any mechanical difference in encumbrance or push/drag/lift values so half of that ability seems a bit pointless unless you plan on reinstating those values for small creatures.

I just copy and pasted the trait from Goliath and added the part being able to wield heavy weapons.

You're right about no difference between medium and small, so the trait just lets them wield heavy weapons then?

What about Dwarven Weapon proficiencies, should I keep them? Poison resistance, or is that too much?

What is the absolute worst way to open a campaign?

In a tavern.

Pretty much, yeah. In the encumbrance section the size of the creature only comes into effect when said creature is either Tiny, Large, or greater. Small and Medium characters have no difference, presumably just to simplify encumbrance numbers.
As for the weapon proficiencies, only if you feel they need them. If you're going for the mythological trickster dwarf, I don't think they would be proficient in those weapons. I also feel like cobbler's tools should be an option for the Tool Proficiency they can select. Poison resistance may be a little too much, due to the Gnomish Cunning feature being extremely powerful. Maybe relegate Poison Resistance to the territory of the Mountain Dwarf instead of Dwarvish Resilience.

With pregen characters

With completely unrelated characters starting in different locations with no way to get them all together without railroading them to a certain area.

>They're having a blast
Does it matter?

>I want to combine them mechanically.
I'm honestly not seeing the significant difference here. Just delete one or the other, probably delete gnomes.

>cobbler's tools
Funny enough I had that first before swiping it out for tinker's tools.

I suppose it comes down to what's more important to preserve the dwarven identity. The ability to resist poisons or the belligerence of knowing to use a few weapons.

Any one level 1 spell slot is better than a fixed level 1 spell slot +2 cantrips.
If you need identify, create water, goodberry or any other situational spell you'll have it, or just something simple like bless.

Only problem is urging your teammatse to actually let you use your ability.

In my opinion, for me, it is to have 4-8 people show up with characters they created with no guidance form the DM (me) and then the DM just tries to make it work with some sort of 'tavern' stand in.

I will no longer do that.

I want to mash gnomes into being another kind of dwarf basically. You have a more concise idea of making gnomes into a subrace of dwarves then?

By rolling for stats.

There are no accurate listings because they're all shit
But post your ideas and I'll give them ratings.

Delete gnomes, make a new sub race of Dwarf.

Part of this is that you are triggering my hatred of the 'I change everything about a race, but still call it an elf see how creative I am with my original elves' meme - if you change everything then give it a new name etc.

You are giving off some shades of that.

With all the players captured and in jail with none of their equipment. This has happened to me twice.

In a brothel

But on a serious note; Have a hook, have a plan of action, and let the players engage with the hook how they want to.

Or he could not, and maybe just play whatever it is that catches his fancy.

Have faith in the game system. Most power differences are very situational, usually require math to 'prove' which means you won't notice in actual play, and wholly just opinion. With only a few under powered exceptions (if played RAW) you will probably enjoy your character and have several moments during a game where you feel like you are a bit over powered.

Actually, looking at it now. I actually want to take dwarves and make them a subrace of gnome technically, what with what I've done so far in the examples I've posted in the thread.

I am making minor changes to Dwarves/Gnomes because I find them too bland in their depiction and want a more folklore sort of character race with them.

I just want to shit on his ideas for builds which are probably shit

I can respect that

bump.

See placed somewhere that looks highly important. The title just says "whoever reads this is a faggot."

Do you use mutations in your game?

I wasn't going to but now I might let my GOOlock player multiclass into Sorcerer after all, provided it's Wild Sorcerer. Your table will come in handy.

Oh definitely. They're too fun to not.

Yup.

For more detailed versions of these, download the Tome of Corruption, pages 27-56.
khorne.ru/2nd

MFW one of my players whines at me at how every civilian and peasant hates his character, a murderous tiefling with a pissy attitude.

Well, they are peasants. Peasants have everybody. It's what they do.

My character is a barbarian who along of the campaign went through some shit and now he is trying to get revenge on this one NPC. The thing is, the NPC is a very powerful wizard. After one failed assassination, he is looking for another source of power.
Basically, in game, he is divided between succumbing to his anger and taking a path with a certain evil deity or trying to find another answer and not take this clearly easy path and better path.

When I talked to the GM, he said that if accept it, I will have to take at least one level in Warlock. So, while I decide which path to take, I would like to know if there is a way to actually play a mix of Barbarian/Warlock. I mean, if I was to pick that, I would like to have at least a decent build for it.
Anyone could help me?

Sorry, forgot to post stats.
It's a human Barbarian, level 5, Path of the Berserker, 18 Str, 14 Dex, 15 Con, 11 Int, 13 Wis, 9 Cha.

Rolled 682 (1d1000)

Huh, prehensile tail, not bad

>9 CHA
Well you won't be casting shit that's for sure.

Maybe look at Hexblade and see if that can take the best bits from that and continue to use your STR on your pact weapon rather than switching to CHR?

Eh, I'd rather stick to stuff designed with Sword and Sorcery magic in mind.