So Mythras and Zweihander are... kind-of similar. There are differences, but they both hit a gritty, deadly, d% niche

So Mythras and Zweihander are... kind-of similar. There are differences, but they both hit a gritty, deadly, d% niche.

Assuming I'm not married to a setting, how does one choose between them? Is there something one does better than the other, or something?

Why choose between them? D% is by nature a system that lends itself to gritty, dark settings. So why not choose any other system/setting rather than these two normie ones?

Because I don't want to come up with a magic system, item list, and so on all on my own?

Also, crit on doubles or crit on margin of success? Because either is a reasonable choice, but I don't know what people prefer or why, since I've only played a few d% games.

Do you use 3d6 for stats like RQ or d% stats like WFRP? How do you generate those stats?

Again, lots of little differences. What do you choose, and why?

Zweihander is more structured. It has far fewer rules/stats that can be adjusted in order to influence the flavor of the game. It is also more game-ist, whereas Mythras is more simulationist.

It also has something of a built in setting. The game assumes the time period you operate in - something like late medieval/early renaissance - and what sorts of technology and jobs are going to be available in your setting.

Can Zweihander be homebrewed to achieve different results? Probably. Is it worth the work over playing Mythras/RQ6 with a supplement or two? I would argue that it's not.

Mythras is far more modular. This is only a good insofar as you actually NEED this functionality. If Zweihander can be used to create the game you're trying to play, then by all means use it. If you plan on making a lot of tweaks or homebrewing a lot of content, use Mythras.

Id go with mythras because its a less well known setting and it would probably be a new experience for you/your players. Zweihander is just warhammer,mythras is a whole new thing to explore.

So pretending for a moment that I won't ever home-brew, as a base game, would you say you'd go with Mythras unless Zweihander is specifically what I'm looking for?

Mythras practically requires homebrew. So no.

Even if you run out of a setting book like mythic Britain?

why does it require homebrew?

Depend on how much you enjoy crafting the system to your setting. Mythras is VERY good at representing 90% of sword and sorcery, dark fantasy and low fantasy. However you're gonna have to do a good amount of prep for it. Zweihander can handle most dark/low fantasy and some S&S and requires very little work. If I had more time on my hands I would probably use Mythras, but I don't feel like making a bunch of character creation options for non-humans while building a magic system from the ground up, so I use Zweihander. Also I haven't played Mythras but it seems slightly more deadly.

Maybe. I wouldn't recommend running looking at Mythras as a game that you can play completely by the book. I guess it depends on where you draw the line between "worldbuilding" and "homebrew", but imo there are always some areas that need to be massaged in order for your setting to work or your players to have fun. If you don't like homebrew, Mythras isn't a good choice.

Not him but unless you want to run a very specific type of campaign then it's gonna need some manhandling. It's nearly on the extreme of simulationist systems.

So when you say homebrew you mean like defining combat styles, choosing what weapons and armor are available, etc?

Also creating magic systems, Brotherhoods, racial adjustments. Hit point/magic point regeneration methods/values are also very important balancing points. They should be very well understood before you monkey with them, but you will probably want to take a look at them eventually.

Oh that's barely anything at all then. I tend to think of homebrew as heavy-duty house ruling and fixing systems so like.

Yes, but consider trying to do the same thing in D&D. Mythras is designed to be monkeyed with.

I was thinking of D&D, only I was thinking of b/x.

Zweihander is pretty awesome, I like the dark fairy tale monsters. I really can't wait for the next book, which is supposed to have more magic rules. (Not that it's necessarily lacking, I just want rules to make my own God & spells) my only complaint is that I much prefer solid ideas for what trappings seem fair for starting professions.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on the Zweihander combat system? I'm familiar with combat in RQ

Mythras is a whole lot less dense than Zweihänder for one. For two, it is much more friendly to monkeying around with, whereas with Zweihänder you're more likely to tug at a string and your neighbour's pants suddenly drop.

Your basic attack is x% if you succeed your target could dodge/parry, if they succeed no damage, if they fail you roll an exploding 1d6+stat. You compare this to their Damage Threshold (brawn stat + armor) if your damage exceeds their threshold you move them down the Damage Condition track.if you succeed by an extra six or a factor of six you move them an equal number of extra steps. Their is also a Peril Condition track to track mental strain, which hinders skill use.

Zweihander also has a plethora of combat actions like disarm & chokeout. You get 3 Action points to spend on actions/movement/reactions.

There is the Mythras setting, the Iron Simulacrum or something like that. It's meh, not as crazy/interesting like glorantha, but be no means bad.

Unless you're looking to specifically run Warhammer with a game that isn't copyrighted by GW, Mythras is the better alternative. With a modicum of effort it is better for Warhammer too.

Not OP, but what exactly is Mythras and what kind of games is it meant for? Classes? Magic? Races? How does all that work?

Thennla might not be as crazy as Glorantha, but that's selling point for me. And it makes up for it in playability.
Glorantha is too far out, man!

It's formerly Runequest 6. So it's designed for games like Runequest. Gritty, violent ancient and medieval games where people die quickly but heroic sword and sorcery action is still possible. It's extremely modular, with a number of different magic systems. The combat system is pretty detailed, but still fairly playable once you have a handle on how combat effects work.

It's actually so modular that they've managed to slot it into some kind of steampunk dimension hopping thing with little to no issue. So you can actually go fairly modern with it, though you'd need to change the skills available.

It's the end result of Runequest's resurrection a decade ago. A classless fantasy-game using d100, sitting in the deep end of grim and oldschool sword&sorcery.

No classes, lots of different magic systems (from more folktale like ones, to Shao-lins mysticims like,spells granted be gods, wizards etc).
Races, oh boy,you have the tipical not-tolkien ones, or in gloratha alone you have the weirdest shit, from Duck death cultists, the Uz/Trolls, the Elfs (than are living plants and there are a fucktone of different kinds) the gloranthan dwards and they weirdnes,river worshiping newtling or beatmen uber rapist nigthmare fuel like the bros.

Is it easy to learn/teach? My players and I are kinda brainlets when it comes to rules, but I'm tired of running Savage Worlds. It doesn't work that well for fantasy and I generally like grittier games anyways.

Not that complicated, d100 based (you roll under) and you have only to remember what to do in combat or make a characte as a player. It's BRP with a few tweaks after all, it's way easier than stuff like Pathfinder.

34 page quick rules. Most of that you can even ignore if you want to lol

So here's a question. How does a person run a campaign in Mythras? Some advice on putting together single adventures in setting manuals, but how do you reckon that a person might do more than just have a series of them, one after the other, like a pearl necklace?

Er..like in any other game? A leads to B which leads to C. You'd probably want to be more careful with combat encounters, as they have the potential to go tits up very quickly. And have a slow pace, as things that take a couple of goblins and a level up in D&D can take months of training and study in Mythras.

I usually go crit on doubles because you know immediately when you crit, like rolling a 20 on a d20. It speeds up play and has more of an emotional impact.

That's my worry; my players sometimes tend to burn their characters on both ends when it comes to jumping into combat. So I was concerned about tying it all together with the reality of month-long healing.

Mythras - 60 pages of chargen, one dice roll away from repeating it. That's one way of teaching players to think before they act.
But PCs come with rerolls and magic too, so that helps.

And characters tend to start much more competent than they do in other d100 games like WFRP. If you build for combat, you can fairly easily start with a primary combat skill well over 60.

I mean it's only like 45 minutes of chargen if you start with a concept you're trying to execute. Took me longer to do an Edge of the Empire character last week, because it involved so much picking through different books.

sounds pretty complicated

Get a whole lot of Glorantha matherial!

As its a clone of Warhammer FRP, what setting does Zweihander even have? I know Mythras and Warhammer, but not the clone.

It depends on what you're going for.

If you're aiming for Warhammer than neither Mythras nor Zweihander do it well, despite the latter being a fairly impressive love letter to WFRP, even if it still doesn't do it well.

>Zweihander also has a plethora of combat actions

You know, people say this, but they also forget that Zweihander has one of the worst weapon and health systems ever put to paper.

You have 2 actions a round. Use it or lose it. Attacking takes one, moving takes one, parrying takes one.

If your target has no points, then you roll to hit (roll d% under the number on your sheet); deal damage.

If your opponent has AP left, then they can choose to spend it on a parry. On a successful parry, they reduce damage depending on weapon size. There are only 3 options here: same size or bigger, full block, no damage. One size smaller, half-damage. Much smaller, full damage. Only bother parrying if you've got some effect that procs on parry.

Really couldn't be simpler. Roll 2 dice, your opponent rolls 2 dice.

You can make it more complicated if you want to. There's combat maneuvers, there's special effects based on margin of difference, there's targeting specific (for example wounded) body parts. But if you want to strip all that out and make it a boring system that takes 5 seconds to learn, you can do it.

t. Butthurt WFRPG

It's simple & effective.

No setting as of yet. But people have written up stuff for Westros, Witcher, & a bunch of other dark gothic fantasy settings all available on their website.

This is the stupidest post I've seen on Veeky Forums today.

I haven't spent much time on Veeky Forums today, but even if it edges out of top20 it's still pretty impressive.

Shut up, Daniel.

Thanks for the info,

neither of you can say that without backing your assertion up without coming across either as a shill or negative shill.

I just like the system, but if you so much as mention it, the diehard WFRPG fanboys come out to shit on it. I understand there is bad blood between some people on /tg & the creator but that doesn't mean the product is shit. I mean everyone hates Matt Ward but Warhammer is still popular.
Zweihander is a great way to do dark fantasy but without a a setting like Warhammer to confine you.

The difference is that Matt Ward isn't one of the only two writers. Everything that happens with Zweihander is directly touched by Danny's pudgy, sweaty fingers.

In this year, we have no fucking shortage of dark fantasy games. You can pick a game that does absolutely anything you want with the genre. Zweihander has to really fucking stand out, and it really just doesn't.