EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous:Funny Combo Edition

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
Who are your top 5 most hated commanders and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-02-18-from-dusk-till-dawn/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Someone in the last thread mentioned LGS banning certain commanders from Commander nights. That's a thing?

Anyone played with this card yet? Is it as insane as I think it it? I was thinking of picking up a play set and need some convincing one way or the other.

Our LGS has banned a few commanders. Azami, Prossh, and someone else I forget. So yeah, it's a thing.

>Who are your top 5 most hated commanders and why?
#5. Phelddagrif. You're just playing hug and we all know it. Okay, I can enjoy a silly hug chaos game now and then. But not that often.
#4. Sigarda, Host of Herons. Fuck off with your enchantment pillowfort. It's not fun to play with.
#3. Oloro, Ageless Ascetic. You're only playing him for his command zone passive, you dick. You've casted him maybe 3 times in 200 games. Find a new Esper commander.
#2. Atraxa, Praetors' Voice. You're either playing Superfriends, Infect, or something extremely stupid. I don't want to see any of them, anymore. Terribly uninteractive, "wait and win" commanders are not my style.
#1. Meren of Clan Nel Toth. Because the commander is built around recursion, the only answer to it is repeated or otherwise sustained exile, or to out-stax the stax player. She's dumb and I hate her to death.

I just prefer originality. I've seen all these decks played out and they make me tired now.

Do anons think Platinum Emperion is worth using in a Trostani Golems deck?

It's an 8/8 with your splicer/tribal bonuses, but it stops you from gaining life, but it also stops you from losing it

I find Platinum Emperion to be useless outside of dedicated artifice decks, it only serves as a removal lightning rod.

It is, I just slotted it into a dumb red aggro Grenzo deck.

Went up against Oloro and that's usually a bad match up. As soon I dropped this it shut off his two jace planeswalkers, buffed my dudes into a more threatening force and allowed me to catch up from a no-hander.

Believe the hype, this kills the classic pillowfort PW decks.

>I just prefer originality
>Nekusar, the poster child of unoriginal, is not on the list

Dude, really? Man, its full of pussies. Our lgs is full of people that encourage you to play the best that you can. So we cheer a well built Azami.

Why would you want to include a card that basically turns off your commanders power?

Because tap to make Golem is my commander's power and the lifegain is a small bonus?

Not really worth it.

I assure you he's in the next 5 down with Prossh and Breya. But at the very very least, Nekusar can fuck up and let his enemies draw into their wincon before he draws into his.

Alright, imma grab at least one for Locust God. It messes with skullclamp, but whateva.

Well, with Azami there was one guy who brought in some 3k+ Azami deck, and wrecked all of our regulars. We usually have decks in the 500$-750$ range and we were having trouble against Azami. Left a bad taste in everyone's mouths. Prossh I don't know the story. I missed one week, and when I came back, Prossh was banned and no one would talk about it.

>bans the commander
>doesn't ban the player

There's the problem with your LGS. First to tell the player to stop being a shithead, and if they don't, you tell them to not come back.

Is xmage a viable option for playing Commander if I can only play online?

Yeah.

I have little to no issue with Cockatrice. I recommend against OCTGN. I have never tried xmage.

xmage is good. Cockatrice a shit

To stop being a shithead he'd have to ignore the cards he values more than you do yours not by virtue of their cost but by his clearly superior devotion to their acquired ownership?

How the fuck does Mairsil win? What combos does he use? I need to get some ridiculous jank back in my life.

So huh, I got soft banned from the casual edh table for playing Shu Yun.

I don't think I can compete on the "competitive" table, mostly because they playa six to ten people at a time

Total cost of deck =/= Playing like a sithead

My 5c Ally tribal deck cost $1500, but its not so broken that is makes everyone else at my table miserable. You can have expensive cards and not deckbuild and play like a shithead.

>bans a certain commander to “protect” other players from it
>doesn’t allow people to decide for them self if they want to play against the commander or not
>what’s more is policy like banning cards for a competitive format doesn’t actually “protect” fun but rather takes fun away from prossh players even if they don’t choose to abuse him
Short sighted policy like that is just so blatantly retarded and knee jerk as fuck.

>get softbanned from a table
>for fucking Shu Yun

What the fuck are they playing where they get consistently dunked on by Shu Yun?

A non competitive format**

How should I build mathas? Focus murder and go a hate route? I'm guessing? Also is triad of fates fun? Not good just fun

Janky stuff, precons. Shu Yun (or at least mine, if I'm allowed to suck my own cock) is extremely consistent, so mostof the time they cant keep up

>My 5c Ally tribal deck cost $1500

I've also built an ally tribal deck that's mostly focused on blink/copy effects, but it's only about $200. How much of that $1500 went into the manabase might I ask?

Quicksilver Elemental is the most critical Mairsil card since it gets him an extra shot of everything, including itself, for one blue. With it, caging a Gilded Lotus, Mana Vault, Basalt Monolith, Grim Monolith, or Thran Dynamo along with a source of untap for cheap (Staff of Domination, Pili-Pala) hits infinite mana, at least with a little wash. If you can give him Haste for free (Mass Hysteria, Lightning Greaves) he can hit infinite ability uses and infinite fresh cages with a Gilded Lotus (or other 2+ mana rock including at least one wash to blue in cage or on board) in cage and DEN on board. Ventifact Bottle + Magistrate's Scepter in cage makes infinite turns with any untap effect (Say Thousand-Year Elixir on board or Staff in Cage) or a Rings of Brighthearth on board (Copy the extra turn to get two turns, one to gas up and one to fire scepter, infinite without untaps as long as you have a wind-up to get charge counters) You could also cage Gemstone Array + Quicksilver instead of Bottle to not need the untap.

The list goes on.

What the fuck

This is why I'm so glad my LGS just has EDH nights with no house rules. No shitty point system, no retards whining about certain generals, no entry fee. Just a night to show up and play.

Are you confused because of how he formatted that or are you confused because you genuinely don't see the combos in Mairsil? I'm really wondering if you're actually retarded

1.) Zedruu - retarded group hug shit and everyone thinks their list is unique
2.) Phelddagrif - retarded group hug shit and everyone thinks their list is unique
3.) Norin - retarded chaos shit and everyone thinks their list is unique
4.) Gishath - because I know their deck is garbage and it's not fun to play against decks that never pose a threat
5.) Any Eminence or command zone-centric commander - this is a design mistake, Wizards needs to stop exploring this design space

The jank fried my brain is all. Bad filename for what I was trying to convey.

1) Nekuzar, he's just boring to build
2) tymna + thrasios, guy built him at my lgs played against me and two guys who bought precons to play with. Needless to say it wasn't fun for anyone except him
3) nath of glit leaf, same guy played against me my friend and a random who just wanted to play jori en ruin diver for fun. It was optimized I was using a shitty K&T deck.
4) breya, no other way to build her other than artifacts no variety in games
5) meren, boring stax sacrifice deck.

>Point 5

I am inclined to agree with you. I bought the Edgar Markov pre-con to re-vamp (LAWL) my Olivia Voldaren tribal deck. Olivia was more fun by far. Thinking about going back.

Actually, I'm not thinking about going back. I actually will go back.

In no particular order and based on what they can do when fully tuned.

>Selvala, Heart of the Wilds
Too easy to just play and win the next turn.

>The Gitrog Monster
Watching your opponent play solitaire with their graevyard until they can combo off.

>Sharuum the Hegemon
Combos off extremely easily, easy example being Phyrexian Metamorph.

>Narset, Enlightened Master
If it hits the table you can hear the collective groans/ass clenching.

>Teferi, Temporal Archmage
If he hits the board usually it is game over.

>The jank fried my brain

Why do you think Zedruu decks are group hug? They're usually built as janky kind of pillowfort/stax decks using Zedruu as card advantage. I do agree with you mostly on point 5 though, eminence and non interactivity is really bad design but I do like my inalla deck all the same so I don't really blame people for playing the others.

So what do you guys play?

I am a part of an EDH League that meets for 6 weeks at a time so I try to find something quick to toss together out of my collection.

The most recent collection deck is Sapling and it is mostly fatties and lifesink outlets.

Leaning towards Borborygymos Enraged for next week. Have to look at my land situation.

>last commander league night
>slow start with Riku
>everyone is on aggro or voltron
>only UR sources or Mana even though I run minimal R
>topdeck melek
>he finds me force of will on a pivotal turn
>then finds me ponder
>then impulse
>then kodamas reach
>single handedly pulled me from a quick loss
>final board state

melek went from a questionable add to a top dog. I eventually had it and Oracle with top on the field. people got to watch me play magic.

What is the minimum amount of Unstable basics to buy? 10? 20? I like the borderless full art aspect a lot. The holo stamp is fucking annoying though.

>Top 5 hated
1) That fucking faggot that builds up experience counters and is UG
2) Meren, because she is a really boring commander due to how easy reanimation is with her, it's barely a challenge.
3) Sharuum
4) Locust God because it's repetitive as shit
5) Anything command zone centric because it's not good design, too much value for too little risk.
If Wizards wants to explore design space fuck around with the exile zone or using the bottom of your deck (I like Grenzo because of that), at least that's interesting. If they restricted themselves then tried designing around restrictions it'd be interesting instead of just too powerful and making older commanders die off.

I'm gonna crib your Mardu control idea for Licia and there's nothing you can do about it.

Here, have a headstart.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-02-18-from-dusk-till-dawn/

You can replace Licia with just about every Mardu commander except Edgar and Kaalia

I wanted to find a use for Licia because seeing the life thing only be once a turn was worse than I thought, and she was already pretty mediocre to bad from the start.

mairsil is super fun, I went off with the mirror mad combo.

I'm sure you know this but Quicksilver elemental acquires the "once per turn" clause because the RC feels like it. pretty dumb.

Would an Atraxa not centered around superfriends or infect work? I got her for 18 at my LGS, I want to make her +1/+1 centered and buffing lots of little weenies up with proliferate. Might through in a couple walkers I might have running around but even than theyd be in theme with buffing little dudes, like Ajani Mentor of Heroes. Does this style work for Atraxa? Superfriends and Infect eclipse alot of search results.

Yes, but that just means you need a blue each loop, since Quicksilver does grant another shot of itself as well as another shot of everything else.

>mfw my group OK'd Grusilda
IT'S TIME MY NIGGAS

of all the unstable legends, grusilda seems like the easiest to break. gl with it, there's plenty of amazing combos out there.

my nofunallowed playgroup doesn't want to let me make baron von count grumblegrumble

In no particular order:
>Animar
>Oloro
>Derevi
>Nekusar
>Prossh

These guys.

Von Count looks rad too. "Destroy target player" is honestly one of the funniest things I've ever seen printed on a card.

It sucks that the funnest and most interesting Rakdos commanders in what feels like a hundred years were released in a joke set.

>So what do you guys play?
Mostly big green decks.

What's your Shirei list look like? I'm used to seeing Shadowborn.dec with him.

I need some advice
Im building a u/w brago flicker deck thats heavy on card draw
Problem is, it doesnt do much outside of heavy control
Apart from Felidar Sovereign and Approach of the Second Sun, what are some win cons that i can put in u/w

Mine's also a Shadowborn list. Razaketh is pretty much the secret commander, allowing you to tutor up all your wincons/answers.
I've been wanting to tool it into a 1/X value creature deck for awhile but I just haven't had the motivation.

That m25 set symbol is uglier than I would like to admit, but I can dig the watermark on supplemental product. That annoys the shit out of me for -masters and C sets that don't have them.

Honestly for some reason I really dig the set symbol. I'm also super happy about the watermarks too.

Theres nothing I hate more than a deck that's running its commander for the colour identity, and nothing else.

>Obliterator
FUCKING FINALLY holy shit

Is that at rare??

mythic, it wouldn't be rareshifted

That looks pretty good to me

I don't know why they're using a gayer version of the Phyrexian symbol, and I do wish the set symbol was just the PW symbol, otherwise bretty gud.

>I don't know why they're using a gayer version of the Phyrexian symbol
It's using the Expansion symbol for the set its from, like Azusa

I forgot that's what the NP symbol looked like still looks gay, too clean.

>tfw I really need one of these for my suicide deck
>tfw I don't give a shit about card stock

What’s your kess list?
I was thinking of going red black burn with kill spells and blue support

And like that, my Og foil copy just got dumpstered.

>Animar
I built animar once because he looked super sweet And he literally just got killed every time I played him because he is a 1/1
Then I traded him off
You must be a black/white player

My Kess deck is a grindy value-based list with Talrand/Young Peezy/Locust God and pic related as wincons. I've had mixed results though, I might try Aetherflux Reservoir in the future. My bread and butter is building efficient timmy creature-slamming decks and Kess is kind of out of my wheelhouse.

How well does it work?
I have been trying to find a wincon for mine for the past few days and this is looking like the one

>Set isn't even released and the cards are already warped beyond belief

I know it's a foil but holy shit, goddamn it, I have cards from Invasion that after 20 years are still in great condition, fuck wotc and their cost-reduction strategies.
This literally makes fewer people buy your shit, why shit on one of the essential aspects of the cards?

>Thread question
I'm gonna take a small cop out here, and list multiple types of commanders in the same number so I can list more overall.
1. Experience based commanders. Linear Play with a non-interactable resource outside of repeteadly nuking the commander leads to unfun and predictable gameplay. Toss in the fact that the Experience counters makes these commanders go fucking nuts makes them my #1 nuisance.

2. Eminence and 'Eminence' commanders. The whole cycle was a fucking mistake, you shouldn't get rewarded for having your creature in a zone that can't be touched.

3. Brago. Linear as shit deck that plays out exactly the same way every single time, you can really put GAAIV and Kallia here too, maybe even Narset, because they all focus on farting out their commander from Turn 2 and if they edicted on the spot they fall apart.

4. Atraxa/Breya Printing Commanders that invalidate other strategies in their types is something that probably shouldn't be done, and opening up wordsoup or combo creatures for Redless and Greenless wasn't a good idea.

5. This is really a more personal gripe and not something I feel is detrimental to the overall health of the game like the other cards are, but Group hug decks irk me, because they either kingmake all game and do nothing of value, or they hide behind universal benefit effects and drop an infinite to win.

I've had okay results with it, the Zombies coming in tapped hurts it some. In the late game when you have 20+ Instants/sorceries in the yard it really starts to shine. Getting to cast it twice with Kess feels great.

>warped
>implying that isn’t just the way the light hits the card
Nigga I hope you are trolling

I hear that
What is your deck heaviest in color wise?
I was thinking going black red heavy with blue support since when you play counters from the yard it can only
Be on your turn, plus the blue heavy playstyle always feels bad to me

My deck is pretty blue heavy, like 50%. Most of that is card draw like Fact or Fiction, Ponder, etc. Just stuff that's valuable to cast twice and helps you get what you want into your hand. I find that I'm able to more consistently dig for my answers that way.
You're right that counterspells aren't really great with Kess, I think my list runs about 6 just to deal with combos and such.

Been playing this guy for the past week or so. has over performed and won many games. I'm actually shocked. Picked up the foil as a treat. More importantly though I have had a blast, and everyone is cool with him since he's so underrepresented.

My only regret is that his foil is so dull. Are older black foils usually so dull? This is under flash obviously but without it it looks like a sticker or some cheap shit.

Yeah, was planning on using cards like ponder, steam augery, fact or fiction, brainstorm, swan song, arcane denial ect, but use more black draw spells since they tend to give more cards since life loss is ascociated with the cost and to make sure I hit all land drops to effectively feed big x cost burn spells. All while using black hand disruption and kill spells to control the board

>year ago 13 year old comes to LGS
>says he's new, just has his Azusa ramp deck
>plays Vorinclex turn 3
>proceeds to do this in at least 60% of his games
>everyone suspects he's cheating
>eventually he realizes commander is not for him
>went and built several $1000+ foiled/masterpiece-full modern decks with his parents money
>haven't seen him for months
>found out today from a friend that the kid got banned from every LGS in the city for trying to steal cards
>mfw
Little cheating faggot deserved it. Good riddance.

What made you think he was cheating?

>but use more black draw spells since they tend to give more cards since life loss is ascociated with the cost
This isn't actually correct, even with the life cost blue draw tends to be more efficient. I run Night's Whisper, Sign in Blood, and Read the Bones, but otherwise I feel like most blue draw and card selection is typically better.

I wouldn't even run Sign in Blood. The double black is a pain in the ass, even in monoblack decks.

I’m thinking of cards like read the bones, ambitions cost, painful truths ect lower cards on the curve echelon

Turn 3 Vorinclex in 60% of his games is pretty fucking suspicious (more so considering he only ran 1 creature tutor in the deck). He also tended to "conveniently" miss a lot of negative triggers and purposefully misrepresent his board state (tucking important lands/creatures/enchantments mostly underneath others, etc), and had little problem conveniently topdecking exactly what was needed to turn the game in his favor.
I'm more convinced that he was cheating as well considering he did considerably worse in our Modern scene, were people are much more serious than in our communities commander scene and actually cut decks and pay much more attention to triggers/the board state/what have you.
And, of course, I'd say it stands to reason that if one was willing to try and steal cards one was probably also willing to cheat.

I've lost track of the replies. What is your general? There are very few decks I would consider running Ambition's Cost or Painful Truths in

I don't know what to do with the Frog, it just seems too powerful for my meta. People at my LGS never seem to realise, because I make sure I don't rub it in when I win and don't try to end the game the fastest way possible, but more often than not I look at my seven cards and they spell "game over" from the start. I enjoy it for the work of art it is, but actually playing it isn't that fun for me.

What do you think would be another good BG option? Somebody proposed Vhati il-Dal so I'm leaning towards that

Also thought about turning Gonti into King Macar, it seems more narrow but less dependent on other people's cards

You can use yours just fine, user, it's just the fact we get to have one too. Unless you bought it recently, in that case my condolescenses

>What do you think would be another good BG option?
Pharika group hug. Be the spicy brewmaster your group needs.

Recently as in a few months ago yeah, and I was more talking about its value.

Kess

That's usually how most of my decks end up - I really like the idea, put together a build, work on it over time, and before I know it I've outclassed my LGS's meta and it's not fun to play anymore.

I had a ton of fun playing Glissa, the Traitor but the deck just turned into a pretty oppressive stax deck and I took it apart.

I've taken apart all my best decks. I wish my meta was more competitive.

Is the scarab god fun and how do I build it if I don't want to go full zombie tribal? I'm a brainlet when it comes to deckbuilding and and if edhrec is to be trusted it seems like everyone just throw every good/decent zombie card into the deck.

Originally I just wanted to build one of the hour of devastation gods, but I already have a -1/-1 counter deck in the form of hapatra so I didn't feel like building the scorpion god. The locust god could be fun but also very repetitive. Seems like it would play and win exactly the same way every time. So what remains is the scarab god.

Does black do any group hug?

The moment I saw Glissa I knew it would be both completely broken and obnoxious to watch. Which is a shame, cause I like the character, as well as First strike+Deathtouch

>I wish my meta was more competitive
Well, that'd put pressure on my wallet, and also I have a place to play my jank/nostalgia boner decks

You build him as two-color Geth AKA tons of mana and a tiny bit of mill. Since you're in blue, you get to add Training Grounds and you can use blue's artifact tutoring to grab Illusionist's Bracers reliably. And you can just add Geth. Add Black Market and maybe a couple sac outlets.

Well, it's one of the best things UB zombies got since old Innistrad. I wouldn't run zombie lords that only give +'s with no game winning abilities. Shepherd of Rot and such are a must. I've never seen one as a standalone deck, but I'd focus on producing shitload of tokens with Army of the Damned etc.

You can just run UB control/goodstuff, but I don't think you'd want that

>2. Eminence and 'Eminence' commanders. The whole cycle was a fucking mistake, you shouldn't get rewarded for having your creature in a zone that can't be touched.
Ur-Dragon was perfectly fine. It creates an obvious theme for your deck at the cost of making your commander a super expensive rainbow jackass.

I think it's due to the age of the card. Some foiled cards I have didn't age well.
It could also be different foiling process, like how Avacyn Restored had a dfifferent one and it was shit and gay.

>nostalgia boner decks
I just finished an entirely old border deck. It uses Sol'kanar the Swamp King because that was the only old border grixis general I own. It's a Worldgorger Dragon/Animate Dead combo deck.

I even got shit like the Ramos artifact rocks and the Mirage fetches.

It's a decent control deck on its own but it definitely loses out in some areas.