/wip/ work in progress

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

Saint Duncan's Wrath edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw [Open]

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM [Open]

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU [Open]

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo [Open]
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44 [Open]

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Previous Threads:
→ #
→ #
→ #
→ #

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=InRDF_0lfHk
forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Legio-Titanicus-Titan-Maniple
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'll start then

>I need some help for picking paints for the Yme-Loc craftworld
there are actually two different recipes in the how to paint eldar book.
One for infantry and for whatever reason another one for vehicles. Pick any one and you are set.

Just got a KD:M Watcher from Comrade Caster.
Looks bretty gud.
Building it is going to suck dick and balls.

plz b reel

Nice job.
Could stand to have a harder contrast though - the blues sink in at the moment, so I can see a big blob of them looking a bit featureless from tabletop distances, which would not raccurately represent how good this guy looks individually.

Stronger/brighter blue details and/or brighter base.

I didn't know I wanted that, but now I do

A piece of baking paper on a layer of soaked and drained paper towels

Deathguard is coming along slowly. I keep wanting to pick up more models but I've still got so many to paint.
I got in on the 1st kickstarter, the Watcher is pretty annoying to build. Are you the guy going to use it as an Arcane Emissary?

How large are these? They look sick and I want to use them as my Blood Reavers in VR.

First one was primed with Rust-Oleum, second with Tamiya super fine, third with vallejo. All white.

Should I try basing with Averland Sunset spray after a primer coat? I think with the most recent one I did it was multiple thinned layers for my base with around 30 minutes between each and it still looks chunky.

Yup.
I'm thinking of using the Fools on Parade to git gud with OSL effects, and then build a dark Sandeep crew, max out on flowing black robes and candles, lanterns and swooshy magic shit.

That really does look sick, I'm painting my sandeep crew currently as well and have just gotten through the poison gamin.

Still haven't decided what color scheme I want to go with for sandeep.

Here's the first models Ive ever painted, I'm pretty satisfied with how they turned out, but does /wip/ have any suggestions on how to improve my technique in the future?

The effect on the cannons view-port was really difficult to do, I'm not sure how exactly I'm meant to get the gradients looking like a natural window?

They're pretty good. A little bit more shading would be nice, but metallic can be difficult to balance shading wise.
Also, look into doing basing.

I had to swiftly finish Mortarion to enter him into a paint competition at my store today and I placed 2nd :) I've still a few things to tweak and any advice is entirely welcome ofc

Finishing off Call of Cthulhu characters that my ex girlfriend left half painted. I miss her incredibly but unfinished models bug me even more

Are you gonna leave them colors flat?

I made a template for a moden Johnny if anyone is interested. It can be made almost exclusively of tactical squad box parts.

-Corvus head from Tactical Squad
-Corvus torso from Tactical Squad
-Corvus shoulderpads from Tactical Squad
-Corvus legs from Tactical Squad / Remove purity seal
-Rocket launcher left arm / cut the hand
-Magazine hand from Tactical Squad
-Corvus backpack from Forge World
-Right arm from Vanguard Veterans
-Bolt pistol from any Primaris box / Cut the arm

The ones on the left are finished with washes and all but figures are actually quite small and in all truth I can't feel bothered to highlight them when I am only ever going to play the game with people that won't appreciate it anyway

AAAAHHHHHHHHHH

>went to lgs to pick up some new workhorse brushes and to see if models ordered came in
>there's girlscouts selling cookies right in front of it
RIP 5$

>poison gamin.
y tho
I kid, Malifaux has a terrible community for "This model is insta-trash" mentality.

What's the scheme?

How long does it take for a 1:1 mix of greenstuff and milliput to cure?

Not that guy, but I painted mine and never put them on the table.
I've done that with a few Malifaux models and I think it's the only game where I've done so.

I'm painting them because I got them with sandeep's box, should I have put them in my oven instead?
I went with popping yellow and a nice blend of green and dark blue for the gamin, makes them seem like weird venomous insects rather than green lil' men.

I have yet to see a malifaux model that doesn't look terrible.

Are these rods good enough for an alternative to the flyer stand by GW? How can I secure them into my base?
They seem to slide in well into the flyer and I just need to fill in gaps

>have +150 figures to paint including an arachnarok
>recently bought 20 chaos warriors and 5 chaos knights for 22€
>a guy is selling an entire lizardmen battalion for 50€

Looks like I will be posting here for atleast 3 more years

The homemade wet palette in the OP works fine.

Habitually releasing boxes with at least one more model than you'll ever use is the worst thing about Malifaux.

>popping yellow and a nice blend of green and dark blue for the gamin, makes them seem like weird venomous insects
That sounds pretty cool.

Going to paint the cape white, the stormguard is reminding me of Ultramarines.

What do you guys think ?

White is too thick causing chalkyness texture.

I've also gone far too far with buying stuff...

very good for first models

Not been doing this long

Heres the 3rd thing i have painted, rest are just marines. Iron Warriors Hellbrute, almost finished

I still need to thin more the paint then.

Yep. Gotta thin them paints more.
Get those silvers on there more solidly, so that you don't see any black underneath. Then for the brown skin, paint some lighter color, avoiding the recesses. After that, hit the entire model with some agrax earthshade for some ez shades. That'll help out a lot.

working on kitbashing a bunch of gene cultists

Advice on painting black with GW paints? Every time I thin it down it becomes so inky, and I feel like it either doesn't cover much or I lose control. Should I just keep doing really thin coats?

Just want this tutorial video
youtube.com/watch?v=InRDF_0lfHk

Fist or sword?

Sword

Does the arm look weird for you?

having no plasma pistols, i tried cutting up a lucius-pattern rifle, is this okay for wysiwyg? Guy on the right has his plasma gun holstered

Still need to do the base for this guy, just starting my horde of gaunts (Must be around 50 of them).
Any tips on how to improve also do you get faster at painting overtime, dreading doing all 50 of these guys considering this one took about 6 hours or so.

Feedback needed before I spend a lot

Fist or sword but with arm pointing upwards.

If it's part of a unit fist looks better, not all miniatures need to be overcrowded with shit. If sword then point it upwards and out, so it can be clearly seen from the front and takes up more space. As it is now it cannot be clearly distinguished

wheres the halo from?

No advice, keep up the good work.

generic plastic captain with combi grav and sword

only issue I can see is the base rim is a bit messy

nice scheme.
Look into a coloured primer maybe, that'd speed up the initial basecoating stage, also you've missed the last section of carapace.
If you want speed then force yourself to batch paint a few at a time

Sup guys. Haven't painted anything for like 6ish months when I did a squad of primaris Marines. Posting this might motivate me to work on it some more. Enjoying it so far.

Probably going to bloody up the inside of the sores, note sure though. And I still need to decide how to do the boils and shit on his back.

>6 hours
Reduce the amount of edge highlighting and basecoat faster.
What's the process?

You can't paint a swarm army going more than 60 minutes per model, let alone six hours.

AAAAAAA

>this one took about 6 hours or so.
gotta agree here. 6 hours is insane.

You should get yourself a red primer, paint the gun in a bone color and then wash the whole model brown. That is like 10 minutes tops and you'll only be left with the carapace and the line highlights which should be another 10 minutes at most.
The pattern and the eye are detail work that shouldn't take more than ~5 minutes depending on how elaborate you are with the patterns.
On larger creatures the times will vary of course but for a single gaunt 6 hours seems incredibly much.

Oh and the grey spots are being caused by the camera, I had to look the model over a few times, thought I was going crazy.

>Have 5 spiderfang boxes to paint
> Have khorne bloodbound battleforce to paint
>Have two dark imperium and two first strike to paint
>Have 9 ripperdactyls and 2 bastiladons to paint
>Have death battleforce to paint

Mfw gw releases DOK and I catch myself wanting them too

Still breathing that china resin, still no cancer

>have my Ork army to paint
>and my USAriadna army
>and my Trollbloods army
>considering starting an Ironjawz army
Someone help me I have too many games

I say no on the bloody sores, I like how it looks now
but I mean its your thing so whatever you like go for it

Sell the Trollbloods since PP is going out of business soon.

Aren't the pauldrons you are using the chapter champion pauldrons? The look neat, but doubling up seems odd. Is it a specific chapter or custom?

How'd I do?

Yeah I like it, Although the holstered one won't fly wysiwyg

What do you think of my hammerhead fex?

you're a cool guy user and I appreciate you

Cool. Tounge makes it a bit weird

Looks fine. Nice and bright, kinda reminds me of Thousand Sons

Do you guys use green stuff or miliput? Or is there a better alternative to either of those?

I find green stuff to rubbery when dried, but miliput is to really brittle. But when miliput dries you can file and sand it and make really nice smooth sections and edges. It’s like a piece of chalk when dried. It also gets everywhere.

I like it, very pacific rim.

Sterner painting my Irish dudes for Saga 2.

Nice butt blug

I use a hardware store brand epoxy putty called Bondite, mixed with super sculpey. Airdries hard, can be cut, shaved and filed, and holds detail pretty well

Thanks. It's surprisingly useful, especially for these skinny MDF bases.

Snek

Just basecoated my first army in years. Old paints are toast. What is the most essential paints I should buy? This is for dark ages so I don't mind mixing paints and ending up with slightly different shades, nothing really needs to match.

My guess is I could get by on nuln oil, agrax, a silver, red, blue, yellow, black, flesh, brown

Maybe your mix ratio is off. Greenstuff goes hard as Plastic for me. I file, cut and sand after it's dried no problem.

And a white. Especially if you'll be mixing, as you'll be able to make lighter tints to highlight.

>What do you think of my hammerhead fex?

Pretty sharp. Would totally elbow-rocket.

Do you mix 50:50?

what on earth made you decide to mix two different compounds?`

No, I go about 60:40 in favour of blue, by lengthy on the strip, not total. The blue gives more hardness, the yellow is what's giving you the rubbery cure. Try more blue and see how you go.

Oh, this will increase your cure time and make your greenstuff stickier. I recommend mixing and leaving for about 10-20 minutes so it starts to harden a little to reduce stickiness as it's easier to work with.

I saw the guy from scibor miniatures do it in a video and it looked pretty good. The details were sharper amd easier to work in yet the putty still remains firm and not droopy

Basically it turns super sculpey into air-dry super sculpey

I wish I'd known about that backpack, I just used all stuff from the Tacticals and greenstuffed some ribbing on the backpack top.

No shit, really? Ugh the hands are already posed... I guess if I put another one on the ground?

Looks good, what putty are you using?

Where do you live? I cant even find this bondite stuff on amazon.

IDK if it's a friendly game no worries but idk how autistic tourney's get, I'm guessing up there

The bondite/sculpey mix. I got mine from my local hardware store.

Painted the ugly caster today. I hate the smoke. Oh well.

I dunno what to work on /wip/ give me ideas

Heres a shitty phone pic of muh armies

It's time lad

forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Legio-Titanicus-Titan-Maniple

inb4

>Khorne knight and Brass Scorpion
FGT
>Imperial Knight house wit FW knight
FGT
>Tau
FGT
>SUPREMACY
TURBO FGT

It does seem tempting it would be a second one in my city too.