Ready Player One RPG

How would you run a RPO rpg? Are there any systems that could handle this? Should we just try and homebrew one up right now??

Another/bonus question, how would you handle virtual realms in general in a futuristic/sci fi rpg, not necessarily RPO related? I've gotten suggestions for my own system to just have it be freeform roleplaying, but idk, that's kinda doesn't cut it for me, if there's a better option.

>"sweet references, bro!" the RPG

We already have Dungeons the Dragoning 40,000 7th Edition. Just fluff it as being all inside a computer.

This film repulses me inexplicably

The revulsion is quite explicable, user. We just haven't the vocabulary to properly encapsulate nor express these feelings.

i clapped when i saw a thing i recognized

I love things I recognize!

/thread

DtD also makes its combination work better than RPO does, actually using the things it's referencing in interesting ways rather than just referencing them as if it's a virtue.

Play Dungeons and Dragons except you have rick and morty on tv in the background

>mfw people I know actually think RPO is a fantastic book

I haven't read it, but a summary makes it seem like Snow Crash but less insightful and interesting, and aimed at brainlets

Haven't read the book, but the trailer for the film certainly didn't impress me.

Nothing wrong with a big of nostalgia, but holy shit this movie just seems like gratuitous fellating of Things You Like. I would expect this kind of cynical fanservice shit from a bunch of corporate suits but this all apparently came from one guy writing a book on his own?

The difference is that Snow Crash is actually about how language is fucking magic, and the cyberpunk and alternative history stuff is all just social commentary and speculative futurism for flavor. Snow Crash uses cyberpunk as a vehicle for a more interesting science fiction story.

RPO is just what's on the wrapper, with the story used as a vehicle for showing you things you like.

Play whatever you want, just make sure that every player has to get this tattoo before they can join

It's like someone saw the retro 80s trend and decided to try and kill it all in one shot. I'm pretty sure RPO was the height of this fad. i ll make an analogy with the kombucha shit. Yeah its cool and trendy and grows popular. Imagine how much we would all hate it if we were force fed three glasses of kombucha for every meal for a week straight. I think that would be enough to convince even the most ardent fans that it's fucking shit

RPO is a two hour force feeding of brainless retro hipster #nerd culture and its pretty sickening to behold

Who writes this and thinks "Yes, I am a Great American Author"

It's like the American Psycho monologues without any hint of satire or irony

Conceptualization at-peak saturation, means execution carries the product far over the bell-curve of maximum trend.

It'll never end.
>Back to the Future 4, but it's just called Back to the Future
>Set in 2019, but OUR 2019 and not one based on what we saw in BttF2
>Exact same fucking story as the first movie
>New Marty is a teenaged girl, new Doc Brown is Bill Nye or some shit
>Libyans have been replaced with Russians
>Martha goes back in time to the 80s
>Every joke is just ad-libbing and quips
>Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd have cameos but not as Marty and Doc
>Every other character is played by someone from the Office or SNL
>Post-Credits scene: Martha is back in her present day high school class. The teacher drones down roll-call. "Bueller?...Bueller?...; Martha turns around and the camera pans in on an empty school desk

I CAN SEE IT

I CAN HEAR IT

MAKE IT STOP

What drives someone to write this?

Fluoride and Aspartame

>verbal masturbation over literal masturbation

I hope this exchange is in the movie.

None can say. This is from a place we cannot venture to. It is a place beyond the pale of sanity that only madmen can go. We will always be at the mercy of madmen for this reason; we cannot conceptualize of what new horrors they might bring back to us from those places barred to us.

That's true but there's no need to say so in a YA one-shot novel

This was at the period where the MC was a social outcast focused entirely on finding another key. It shows how withdrawn from the real world he's become. The MC isn't a reliable narrator.

You guys have no idea what "cathartic" means, do you?

It's not even out you dipshit.

I got that reference.

*squee*

That doesn't work when the entire book's plot involves being rewarded for lving like that. Halliday was a sad, reclusive hermit who never got over his big crush and gets treated as some font of wisdom, writing the RPO in-universe bible practivally, and is portrayed as the great genius of our times. The main character doesn't win because he learns how to embrace reality or make friends, he wins because he played a perfect game of Pac-Man while going off alone and has spent enough time watching movies to quote Monty Python's script word-for-word. It's a world where success predicates on being a nostalgia-obssessed NEET.

>It's a world where success predicates on being a nostalgia-obssessed NEET.

Is anyone else getting really creeped out by the almost religious devotion to nostalgia and pop culture nowadays?

The internet is only making it worse. Before, fanboys were alone or in small groups and that limited their zealotry. Now, obsessives can find people who agree from all across the world, developing cult like behaviours and fuelling one anothers obsessions to the point it's honestly unhealthy. That companies are exploiting this for PR purposes is something that might be looked back on as horrifyingly psychologically exploitative, when law and common understanding actually catches up with the changes brought on by the rise of ubiquitous communication.

it's almost as if religion was just fandom taken way too fucking seriously

>Christ comes around
>followers write fanfics about him
>"IT'S THE NEW CANON YOU GUYS"
>spirals out of control
>...
>Muhammad comes around...

Religion is one of the most successful memes ever brought forth by humanity. New memes might have more viral potential, spreading faster, but faith has been a more persistent and pervasive memetic presence than anything else you care to mention.

What happens when the two mix?

I've noticed it too. It's especially bad with ST:D and the Star Wars sequels (TLJ especially). Every new installment of an established franchise gets treated like a religious schism, where you're expected to either view it like it's the literal work of God (because it's HOLY SHIT A NEW STAR WARS/TREK!!!!111!!) or the vilest sort of heresy (because IT'S NOT *REAL* STAR WARS/TREK). It's starting to feel like
>1. Our lives increasingly revolve around the media we consume
>2. We're increasingly pressured into stark, binary opinions on the media we consume
>3. Which side we fall often has very little to do with the actual artistic merits of the thing in question
The worst part is that, unlike what teenage edgelords love to claim, no one is coercing or tricking us into doing it. Like, Comedy Central didn't choose to start a shitshow over that one sauce, and McDonalds just saw people talking about their product and underestimated how much people would want. Literally everything that happened after were things fans chose to do of their own volition.
Or to use a Veeky Forums example, look at MtG. How often do you hear, "The amount of African-descended people in Ixalan is sort of weird for a barely-post-Colombian central America, but I liked it overall" or "I like diversity, but the lore was mediocre?" Or even, "Ixalan was just ok." It's either "REEEEEEEEEEE BLACK PEOPLE" or "HOLY SHIT THE ARTIST WAS MANDATED BY CORPORATE TO USE MORE THAN ONE SKIN TONE LITERALLY BETTER THAN HAMLET."

TLJ is just shit, so it gets shit on. The creators are assholes, so they get return fire in kind.
No mystery there.

>Every new installment of an established franchise gets treated like a religious schism, where you're expected to either view it like it's the literal work of God (because it's HOLY SHIT A NEW STAR WARS/TREK!!!!111!!) or the vilest sort of heresy (because IT'S NOT *REAL* STAR WARS/TREK). It's starting to feel like
It took you literally 2 minutes to make a post proving me right. Thanks, friendo

Ridiculous hyperbole just makes you seem underaged

Sorry, 2 minutes, 1 second. You're right, I exaggerated

So this is the state of the board now

His articulations are a bit dumb but he does have a point. Liking pop culture shit is incredibly binary now and it's getting old. Every new Star Wars or Marvel movie is a race to see who can praise it or shittalk it more.

Whatever happened to just liking a movie or not? Who the fuck cares about the Last Jedi? Not as good as Empire, and no Star Wars movie ever will be so what's the point in bitching? Not even the Prequels got the insane black and white treatment these movies get.

I'm just sick of seeing so many people get sucked into blatant corporatism. There's people on my Facebook feed who actually like and repost shit from the McDonald's page. Like nigger it's a fucking monolithic fast food giant selling you processed garbage meat that'll probably be grown in a vat one day, if it isn't already.

Also the idea that people's likes are flawless and people's dislikes are irredeemable shit.

Like, I like shitty stuff. I'm a huge 40k fanboy, but a good deal of that setting sucks. Star Wars overall would be lucky to pull a C- in terms of quality across all films, and probably sits on top of a solid D all things considering. There's a good deal of things we all enjoy, but they're the media equivalent of Doritos, and you sometimes should expand beyond that into actual cuisine rather than Cool Ranch.

You can eat junk food sometimes. It's fine. But don't jump to defend it and make sure you eat real food at some point or another. That's not to say "Great" media is without its own flaws or lacks merit sometimes. And even in poorly written stories there can sometimes be interesting takes, clever twists, and neat ideas worth fleshing out. But in the state of this board at least, there's a whole lot of pushing shit further and further to the extremes. A mentality of "more extreme than thou, therefore better" which is a cancer eating away at it. The stuff from Veeky Forums's "Good Old Days™" seems precisely the opposite of this mentality: poking fun at the things they loved and embracing the knowledge that it wasn't very good media and not caring one bit.

Personally, I'm of the opinion if you start getting genuinely angry at certain movies and/or the people who like those movies, then you should probably just stop watching movies.

I'd say there's merit to getting pissed, but for fuck's sake make a reasoned explanation for why. Doesn't have to be your thesis paper on the thing, but articulate your thoughts, we have a good deal of words in this language to express these points.

But, yeah. If you've got irrational anger like that, you might need therapy, not a direct line to the internet into which you can froth with autistic abandon.

but an insult against what I like is an insult is an insult to me as a person! Squire, hand me my sword so I can defend my honor!
It's exhausting how many people on the internet I see act like this on a regular basis.

Of all the excerpts that get posted here, I can never decide if that, pic related, or Terry Goodkind’s pacifist slaying spree is the most revolting

TLJ is an objectively poorly written movie.

What the fuck am I reading? It's like every Nice Guy betafag's inner monologue ever.

My big thing about TLJ is that i was just kind of flabbergasted at how badly they screwed it up. Disney went into their tentpole trilogy series, riding on massive waves of nostalgia, and didn't even bother to plan out core story beats for the three movies. The directors are actually flying by the seat of their pants on this thing, and it shows really badly.

It was the most anticipated return onda franchise in like a decade and Disney just shoved it out the door. What the hell?

>kvothe is a socially maladjusted wierdo poet

I'd say the pacifist killing was way worse. Goodkind presents that like its 100% the only logical choice.

In some fairness, the original trilogy was also poorly-planned out as well. It's frankly a miracle it turned out so well, and I attribute a big part of that to the fact it hadn't become this massive universe yet. They were just movies people liked.

Really the only trilogy in this franchise with an established end goal was the Prequels, and that caused a whole host of problems in of itself.

My biggest beef with TLJ is they couldn't seem to figure out what they wanted to make. It was a complete mess. It felt like Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson just walked up and threw a bucket of Star Wars action figures into my face because they figured as someone who likes Star Wars I'd appreciate it.

Did I hate it? No. Did I like it? A little. It had some good moments. The most frustrating part of the whole thing was there really was a brilliant movie buried under there. For me the most depressing thing about it is it ended with no stakes or set-up to get me excited for IX.

The magical realm of Rothfuss, my friend

I’m more talking disgusting in terms of prose, though I’m inclined to give RPO that particular honour.
In terms of morality, you’re right in saying it’s no contest. Goodkind in general is one of the most morally repugnant people on the planet. At least among those who don’t actually belong in prison.

>The magical realm of Rothfuss, my friend
Can you actually give me some context here? Are we meant to sympathize with this creepy incel shit?

I agree the prose is pretty terrible too.

What bugged me most about the movie in and of itself was that they threw away plot points from the preceding film (which I also thought was sub par but not offensively bad outside of Rey). In one case literally. Finn can pilot ships when he couldnt in the first (it was the whole reason he rescued Po), Luke didn't want to be found but he also made a map detailing his exact location, Snoke is completely different, and the list goes on.

It's just one thing after another with TLJ. Where were the continuity guys on this project? What was the plan?

Yep. Badwrongfun has won, and the Board Fun Police have made Veeky Forums into discussion of politics and social agendas central. Congratulations on the board you let happen.

The book is try hard garbage. Given that almost no movie adaptation manages to not be worse than it's source material, it's not hard to imagine how utterly shitty this will be.

It’s a book in the kingkiller chronicles by Patrick rothfuss.
The context is that the character has been friendzoned by a literal prostitute.

Wait...is this that series about that red-headed dipshit who bangs ninjas and a love goddess?

Yep
But it’s apparently ok because he lies about some of it

is it worth reading?

I enjoyed it a fair bit. That page out of context is a bit harsh on Rothfuss & Kvothe alike.

You can make any character seem like a mary sue faggot if you just list their seemingly ridiculous strengths, accomplishments etc without any context at all.

Not really.
The prose is pretty poor, the wish fulfilment is pretty heavy handed and the unreliable narrator concept is handled terribly. It’s not done by subtle contradictions and ambiguity to make you question some of what he said, it’s just that he straight up makes shit up and it's up to you to figure it out when anseparate character doesn’t call him out

This, so much this. Partisan extremism in modern online culture is so fucking toxic.

Just run an Otherland RPG instead.

I liked it, I enjoyed reading it. But I thought it was sort of a poorly contrived story. The 80s nostalgia and the references were cool, but it was sort of like a less autistic Chris Chan comic or something.

Flower war was better

We abandoned God so now we are in Hell until we stop worshipping false idols which are abound more than ever. Symbolically speaking. I think I understand what the Existentialists were getting at now though.