Comfy Systems

So tell me user, with all the Edition wars and the constant "your system/setting choice is terrible" going on;
Tell me about your Happy Place. The System/Setting you turn to when you just want to have a jolly good time with your friends and tell me about it.

Ryuutama is inherently comfy.
Maid RPG is comfy with the right players, but it can stray into lewd and/or wacky.
Nerchonica is fucked up but comfy

As much flack as it gets on Veeky Forums, our group still has pathfinder/3.5 as our go to game. We already know the rules and most of us like planning out possible characters to play. We've never had any problems with balance that Veeky Forums loves to gripe about but Veeky Forums gripes about everything for the most part.

>Nerchonica
whats that ?

I like feeling comfy with ffg star wars and unironically enjoy the dice system.
Just people, flyin through space, tellin stories based on multi sided rocks.

1st Edition AD&D. Played it for years, and I can just grab and go with it

Sounds nice and it's nice to hear about done people having actually fun.

You mean the "edge of the empire" SW RPGs ?

FATE. Make whatever you want to make, tell a story with friends, and make it memorable. Some people are inherent munchkins, but systems like FATE mean everyone is on an even playing field.

Also, Call of Cthulhu, but only if the Keeper knows how to run a good mystery or keep things suitable spooky.

I've never actually tried 1st edition. My introduction to tabletop was (unfortunately) 3.5, so I wound up with some skewed views of things until I started playing with other systems. How is it compared to the later editions?

You have my attention.

Talislanta. It's an old favorite, nostalgia and old. 1980s/70s-flavored with strange races, weird magic, richly-described cultures like in a Dying Earth story, and fancifal characters typical of a Jack Vance tale.

There are firefalls, mountains made of green glass, cities floating on the clouds but chained to the earth so they don't float completely away, warring nations of ultra-strict and ultra-laissez faire cultists, people with 2 brains, and more.

It's just such an amazing and strange world to explore and yet it feels like home.

Risus is comfy.
Maid is comfy, so is Golden Sky Stories
Lasers and Feelings/ Chrome and Punks/ Tactical Waifu

"By the author of lady Windermere's fan"

It's a no gm one shot game where the players are actors trying to hobble together a play on the fly. The book is amazing and really funny, but I admit I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet. But every character has a happy ending so that makes it comfy imo.

Wacky Maid is super comfy IMO. Least stressful game to GM ever. All I have to do is come up with one idea per session, turn the players lose, let them handle all the creativity, and then tell me afterwards how much fun they had. I tend to be pretty player-centric during normal campaigns, but Maid is on another level entirely.

Body horror loli zombie cyborgs in hell.

nayrt
I wouldn't say it's good, but it's a very different game. Only surface level elements are the same, and even there not many.
Main things to say about it: it knows what it's about (dungeon exploration) and only tries to do that well. It's also ind of bloated. Lots of gut-reaction rulings Gary made on the spot at his table, though you can mostly disregard them.

My Group is 5e, that's what they want, that's what I run.

I LOVE Dungeon Crawl Classics. I love most OSR games I've read, run, and played. My group just wants 5e all day. So every now and then when I run a one shot of DCC, White Box, or C&C I have a blast and let my creativity flow out for some craziness.

I bought all the 1st edition talislanta books just because of just how cool it sounded. I love the setting.

Here's that pic at non-AIDS resolution.

DRYH has always been my quick, easy, fun game to just drop into running or playing whenever

Thank you.

It's a system where the premise is that the players are household robots in a world where humanity has disappeared.
Now they are in a quest to find meaning and self.

That sounds pretty not-comfy. But if it is for you and you have fun with it, that's cool.

Which edition would you recommend?

I came here for the lulz and was not disapointed.
Thank you.

Can second Ryuutama, that game is comfy as fuck.
I also find Reign's setting really comfy, even though it's really not designed to be. Something about the combination of the two continents resembling a supine man and woman, and the "default" nation having this whole merchant tradition involving baking and rival civic guilds just feels super heartwarming and down-to-earth in a weird way. It's the kind of place where I could see an entire campaign taking place over stuff like hunting for fancy spices or entertaining foreign dignitaries from the empire.

Not that user, but it ends up comfy because offering emotional support to your team, restoring your humanity and goofing around with human relics/customs you might not understand is baked into the game.

2nd for simplicity
4th for the cool modular magic system

Thanks!

>The System/Setting you turn to when you just want to have a jolly good time with your friends and tell me about it.

Dream Pod 9's Heavy Gear.

> Setting:
Earth's Ex-Colony abandoned when it had a climate crisis, mostly arid planet with two camps being literally and figuratively polar opposites and at war. Lot of room for mercenary work. Mechs that feel realistic and adapted to the terrain type where battles are fought and a lot of technical background to fit it.

>System
Skill d6, take the highest, add +1 per additional 6 rolled, add/substract your stat mod vs target number / opponent roll. Then multiply by damage value and compare to light wound / deep wound / insta gib tresholds.

Simple, depicts well the difference between raw talent (stat) and expertise (skill) as the later provides stable performance while the first gives extraordinary shots.

And players are given narrative tools in the form of "Emergency Dice".

Love it.

>GURPS
I like maximum autism in my games.

Joking aside, GURPS is best experienced through the filter of a limited subset of the rules tailored to a particular genre or setting. I like playing with the rules themselves, which is why I usually GM. I don't subject my players to much more than what's in Lite and what is genre-appropriate, though.

>3.pf
Sue me. I have a long list of personal gripes with the system, but I have fun with it. I only play it, never GM it these days. It was the first system I GM'd. I borrowed my first books from a family friend, and used multicolored sticky notes to keep track of all sorts of relevant stuff.

Tell me more about this system, where can I get books for it , and does combat flow smoothly?