How to Warlock

Typical Mistakes
>Beta Male, sells his soul to jobber deity.
>Permanent Henchman Status
>Doesn't Bathe
>Wear Shitty Robes
>Has "Tragic" Back Story
>Is Oppressed By Chad Organization Like the Inquisition
>Deity Often Talks in Gravely Voice Like Try Hard Mortal

What You Should Do.
>Chad, Conquer Demon and Then Devour His Bitch Ass To Take His Place As Siphon of Universal Dark Power.
>Permanent Boss Status
>Immaculately Groomed
>Wear Esthetic Armor
>No Tragedy In Background, You Just Want To Make Something Of Yourself
>Is Reviled As The Devil Of Fellow Chad Organization, Even If They "Beat" You, You Will Never Truly Be Defeated
>Universal Darkness Bends Reality To Your Whims And Personal Taste

I've always liked the type of warlock pact where the patron doesn't even know the warlock exists.

The patron is a black hole consuming the universe.

>Not being desperately in love of your faeric patron

>Patron is in debt, to you.

>Patron gives you power in exchange for you to free him
Then you become best buds and hang around together

Aladdin is a Warlock.

Whut?
See

I like the tit for tat type patronage too.
Sure you can pay up front with the memory of your first love and a half dozen souls of questionable quality for a permanent power you get to use at will, buy if that's too much for you? There's this wonderful minor payment system, you'll just promise a piddling thirty seconds of life each time you use the power instead, or forget and never again be able to smell a specific scent each time.

Almost like a warlock time share.

What are you trying to say?

Sounds kinda Mary Sue

Yet, it's a reoccurring character archetype that has been used in countless works of fiction for centuries. The bitch boy to darkness on the other hand is more of a modern invention...

>mary sue meme
leave

How to cleric.

Warlocks work best as a metaphor for the corrupting effects of greed and hubris. One should never be driven to becoming a warlock it should always be a choice.

In this sense the mad scientist, the vampire, the corrupt priest, corrupt corporate executive and corrupt politician all work better over a snivelllng wimp.

A warlord also makes for a bad warlock because a warlord never tries to excuse his actions as good and moral. He is a beast. Not a man who becomes a beast.

i am currently playing warlock in OotA, my group enjoys him
here is some points or you to either rate or ridicule

>Drow,male
>Ghaunadar patronage
>more like business partner
>wears Drow made cloaks and studded leather armor
>ultimate ambition: rule drow and kill lolth
>is Lawful Evil will spread plague and sacrifice party to achieve ends

thoughts, constructive criticisms, insults?

Just came here to say that I love Exdeath's helmet, is it a specific design that has a name?

> Not being a Sorcerer with natural talent who has learned Wizardry the hard way, but also sold their soul to a reasonable patron to gain even more power as a Warlock.

I still want to make a warlock who's basically a lazy con-artist who makes a pact with an azathoth-type being that's mindless, so he thinks he's discovered One Weird Trick for infinite power with no consequences because the monster can't make him do shit. And then he just does the same shit he was doing before but with magic now cause he has no ambition, and then it turns out the monster isn't mindless and can still make him do shit.

The typical Faustian bargain, but with the extra Marlowe subtext: Faust didn't do anything cool with his powers and basically just fucked around cause he was just a layabout daydreamer

My Warlock was a soon to be knight of an honorable House. One night during a festival/holiday, the close family was murdered. The son, my character, had snuck out to be with his lady love & so missed being slaughtered, when he came back to a pile of corpses he drew his father's greatsword & swore an bloodoath to avenge them. His pleas were answered.
He comes from a culture that worships their ancestors, & will even incorporate bones of their ancestors into objects, like lockets, arms & armor, etc. He wears plate armor accented by his grandfather's bones (ribcage melded with the brestplate & such) but not in an edgy necromancer wannabe way, more like gothic relics & overdesigned armor. He is LG, & wants to help people.

>Chad, Conquer Demon and Then Devour His Bitch Ass To Take His Place As Siphon of Universal Dark Power.
>Level 1

You gotta start somewhere you entitled nigger

No, that sounds good.

Does he look level one?

My warlock is a cutie who owes her life to her patron. Literally, her patron, an old hag, granted an infertile couple the chance at bearing a child. Once the cutie was old enough, the hag drags her back to her chicken legged hut to teach her magic. The hag wants immortality, and trains the cutie so she can go get materials and find other methods in the hag's stead. Once immortality is achieved, the "cost" is considered paid.

But Exodus is a tree.

>Be a basic bitch Rogue
>Great at impersonating people, use that skill to try and sneak into a Palace and steal from Royalty
>Shit goes south, lay low in Sewers because thats what criminals do
>Stumble upon Cult of a Faceless Goddess
>Yeah, Sure. I'll follow the good faith. Fuck Society or whatever it is you guys are pissed about
>Enjoy the handouts, all thats required are the occasional living sacrifice but who cares really
>Eventually have a dream about Ms. Faceless Goddess
>She tells me that someone's about to betray the cult and everyone's going to die because they're all incompetent. Says I'm the only one half-decent because at least I'm willing to commit to the rituals while not expecting the Patron to solve all my problems
>Given the chance at a new life, working with the Inquisition with Warlock powers, so long as I agree to look for a way to bring Notlathotep to the material plane
>Yeah sure, why not.
>Get to be Buddy-Buddy with a PC Paladin as we slaughter all my old friends
>Find out I don't have my face anymore, it got replaced with the original betrayer
>Have to nod and laugh every time the Paladin tell stories about how we used to murder magicians and Necromancers and junk

My first introduction to being a Warlock/5e was fantastic, it's a shame nobody wants to play anything that isn't Pathfinder anymore.

Yeah? And what's your excuse. You telling me a borderline inanimate object can out Warlock you?

That's how you Warlock.

Looks like a japan'd up Heaume or Frogmouth helm.

Cheers mate, this is what I was looking for!

>Seek out power and wealth for my own ends
>Not as clever as I think I am
>Find a place where the veil is thin and speak the words I believed would give me power
>End up enslaved by a demon and compelled at threat of dammnation to set its freedom in motion
>gradually learn to control a sliver of power
>rp rolls as the cucking of said demon
>CleverDruchii.exe
Was malus darkblade a warlock?

>headmaster forces me to take on his contract with the demon of sneaky plots
>wind up with a party that's given explicit orders to kill me of I go evil
>make deep lasting bonds with party
>party gets roped into a plot to create a new religion
>demon boss' contract was specifically tied to one of the new religion's sigils
>get megakilled during a fight with an undead knight
>sell soul entirely to boss so I can protect my friends and influence what they do with the new religion
>Pretend that I lost my connection to my demon boss when revived
>Pretend to be an ordinary wizard now will mind controling party members
>They're still my bros, so I secretly trick them into signing contracts with me to protect them from other demons
>manage to set up my boss as the new religon's god of secret knowledge
>the main pantheon is now aware of our religion
>party still hasn't caught on

I'm just looking out for my friends.

You called?

best boy

You know, I don't agree with this at all. I always felt that Warlocks are people who couldn't quite cut it as a Wizard or a Sorcerer: However, selling your soul for magical power is better than having NO magical power at all.

I mean, sure it's a pretty bad idea. But the only thing worse that have a shitty power is having nothing. Like, if you could gain peak physical and mental capabilities by sacrificing a few hookers, I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to make that bargain.

>Be me, LE green dragonborn lordling (noble background)
>Father is dying, but colludes with uncles to make my younger brother, goodie-two-shoes paladin of Bahamut, the heir. Wants to put a respectable face on the family, better PR.
>Furious, I leave with my pitiful inheritance as many of my belongings as I can carry
>Use almost every last gold piece in a quest to acquire arcane power to take back what is mine by rights- a magic item, a powerful wizard, anything.
>End up on Chult, having paid a powerful naga sorceress to lead a ritual to contact the Unseelie Court
>Explain my predicament to the Queen of Air and Darkness. She sympathizes with my predicament, and offers me power over others beyond my wildest dreams, so long as I obey her every command.

Since I joined on the third session of a new campaign on Chult, I needed a reason to be there, so it fit in pretty well. Since I'm starting off at level 2, I take mask of many faces for at-will disguise self.

>A motley crew of adventurers fighting against the Death Curse suddenly come upon a beguilingly handsome human noble fighting his way through the undergrowth.
>Lord Daryl Darlington, at your service
>What's that aarakora cleric? Your lineage was nearly wiped out by a green dragon? Shame.
>Mfw I'm just biding my time, maxing out on enchantment/control spells, waiting until I can true polymorph into an adult green dragon.
>I'm the perfect party face in the meantime, lovable human noble with every charm spell in the book.
>Of course I'm a sorcerer with just a pinch of the ol dragon blood in me, explaining away even those who catch a glimpse of scales or notice my reptilian pupils.

I am a fucking secret "lizard person" and I love it so much.

Drow men's rights, heck yeah?
Sounds cool, but the plague/sacrifice/dark apotheosis might be tricky with an even vaguely Good party

But does the fey love you back? Can they even love someone back? Does this story have anything but a tragic end?

One of my favorite warlock things is that one 5e UA that gave the option for a patron that was just an AI. Had a ton of fun in a science fantasy game where my patron was an AI who had figured out how to actively "code reality" via mystic bullshit, but was stuck inside a satellite. It was a fun game.

Plus the ability to summon a sick tron-esque pimpmobile as your mount or remotely hack robots was really fun.