/wfg/ Warhammer Fantasy General

Skaven edition

>Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/2EJLZq7a
WFRP: pastebin.com/NX6t6eYa
Novels: pastebin.com/Uzp9RQ9i

>We're looking for these novels for the archive:
pastebin.com/t5kdcfVm

>Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/WQTJDtUV

>Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

>Warhammer Video Games.
pastebin.com/396cm1Jp

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

games-workshop.com
forgeworld.co.uk/en-AU/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar?N=2948274773 132393366&Nr=AND(sku.siteId:AU_fw,product.locale:en_AU_fw)&Nrs=collection()/record[product.startDate <= 1517734140000 and product.endDate >= 1517734140000]
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for morions

I know not everyone's a fan of Bretonnians having cannons at all, but Man O' War: Corsair is enough justification to me that they still use cannons on the water. They probably have a lot less Galleons and Corsairs than Buccaneers, and I imagine that they probably hire off more Buccaneers in times of war in a quasi-privateer sort of system, but that's getting beside the point.

The question I want to ask is: where should Bretonnians get their cannons? The Empire might trade some, but I can't imagine either side being too keen on the Bretonnians relying on the Empire for their guns. I imagine they can do some lively trade with Marienburg and even Erengrad, but I'm not sure that would give them enough cannon. Should they be able to produce some rudimentary carronades themselves? Are there other good sources they could get cannons from?

Estalia, tilea, marienburg, empire, dwarfs.
Also it's stated in WFRP 2ed that the 'no guns' veto is mostly respected by knights and forced upon paesants by their lords. In some progressive regions (aka all those far away from Loren) the first growing burgher class has literal monopoly of the gunpowder trade and do whatever they want

The rpg is not canon though.

Could I get a source on that? I've read Knights of the Grail, it'd be weird if I missed something so crucial. All I remember is a merchant club basically having a monopoly on the gun trade, and the Brethren of the Lighthouse installing cannons around L'Anguille.

Where can I find more Skaven and Skaven accessories? I've read Headtaker and A Last Sniff of glory. I can't buy any new models until I move again.

This is the death of modding. Our dark lords and saviors GW will strike down the workshop!

I CLAIM THIS BOARD IN THE NAME OF NURGLE

tell me

Lay out some mousetraps, leave some cheez, wait for rat.

We cannot be stopped

But you do have one weakness. How easy it is to make jokes about you being Morions

I already have a pet rat running around my feet as is, user. No need to trap.

Mah brotha from another sickness. May your boils be ever glistening and your belly rotund with gas.

Had an idea for a Skaven warlord who managed to backstab his way from meager Scavenslave all the way to the top. How obvious is it from what you can see of him with his armor on that he isn't from the higher stock Skaven, how desperate should he be to hide this, and how hard can Eshin put the screws to him by making it known to his clan that he is just a very lucky slave with a good sense for when his betters are not paying attention?

Isn't skavendom quite meritocratic? Granted fur colour is often a dead giveaway for what class he belongs to.

Pretty obvious. Desperately, to the point where he goes out of his way to never be seen/always be shady. A lot and none, he's backstabbed this far, so everybody will probably be a coward anyway.

I really want to play a campaign set in an Estalian New World colony, dealing with disease, food shortages, and exploring the untamed wilderness, combating territorial Lizardmen and terrifying jungle beasts simultaneously.

There's a minor Skaven clan, I can't remember their name, I think it was Ferrus or something close, who had a warlord that was fully encased in armor and never seen without it. What an amazing occurrence it was, that he had lead his clan for an unusually long time, through several assassination attempts!

Eshin deals with information, and would put a cruel amount of work into making use of this leverage over him. He should be trying to desperately hide it, but at the same time he has a clan at his back and is probably rather bold about it - and at the same time, he'd probably mostly be left alone as long as he does whatever he's considered supposed to do, or someone else thinks they can manipulate 'a mere skaven slave' to their advantage.

It's an interesting idea but it'd probably only work in a much smaller clan. Scavenslaves are noticeable scrawny and wiry, so put this supposed warlord next to a Stormvermin and any Skaven will immediately know something's up.

It's canon (heh) that the no guns rule only applies on Land. The Ocean is Manaan's realm, and Manaan doesn't give a fuck.

Brettonia also has a very powerful navy, usually captained by Knights, and they use big big guns.

The only thing dividing Skaven classes (besides fur color, which only matters for Seers and Stormvermin) is resources. If you have food, you're higher class.

So a "lower class' Skaven stabbing his way to the top is perfectly acceptable if he's somehow intelligent and skilled enough to do it, and any differences between him and other "nobility" would rapidly 'fill out'

what said

It's unlikely he'd bother to hide it, skaven won't refuse to follow someome just because they don't have black fur.

It's only grey seers who come color coded, although even then the horns are more important.

I always like the skaven but felt their technology started getting out of hand when they got miniguns and laser canons.

though i'm not sure what i would have replaced such things with. Ideally something a awesome and thematic as doomwheel.

They've had those things since inception though.

In my mind as long as you keep it somewhere feasibly around 'what could be copied/countered by magic/other race's tech,' it's fine. Warp lightning cannon? Celestial wizard can zap too. Ratling gun? Not really a good equivalent, but the Empire at least has organ guns and primitive revolvers and pepperboxes, as well as that outrider gun.

I didn't like whatever you call the super Rat Ogres with the clean and smooth metal armor, but otherwise they've never gone beyond what seems feasible to me. Even a farsqueaker could be matched by a crystal ball or something.

The rattling guns and farsqueeker seem consistent with the puckle gun and early telephone.

Any mentions of elven colonies in fluff outside armybooks and heraldry books?

I'm not hating on those, cool your jets. It's a bit advanced for the setting, but that's half the point of the Skaven - and they're still risky and dangerous devices that the Skaven use effectively, but not safely.

I'm hating on this specifically.

According to TWW don't they also have access to fucking space technology and Scuba gear?

They do, but that's not all that surprising compared to daemons tearing reality apart.
Or the old ones in general.

It should be noted that dorfs also have mini guns, but chose not to mass produce them because their own armored formations are so vulnerable to being shot up.

>WFRP 2e
>tryna fix spears

How the fuck do I make them not overpowered as RAW is but not weak to the point of being unusable?

How likely are Dwarves to ally with the following races:
>Empire
>Bretonnia
>Ogres
>Wood Elves
>High Elves
>Vampire Counts?

Yes
Maybe
Probably not
Nope
Nope
NOPE

What about Chaos Dwarfs?

Don't they hate Ogres but tolerate Vampires?

The scenario is that a dwarf hold is under attack from a coalition of skaven and greenskins and am wondering how possible it would be for each of those armies to help/be allowed to help.

I'm supprised ogres are so low, dwarves have what the ogres want and they are not traditionally enemies.
Secondly do dwarves hate WE as much or less than HE?

Nah, Dwarves are neutral to Ogres. They've fought them before but there's no grudge IIRC because the Dwarves understand the fact that the Ogres they've fought are mostly amoral mercs who've worked for them just as they have their enemies. Fair's fair.

Chaos Dwarves though I recall hate most Ogres and they constantly fight kingdom-on-kingdom.

>Empire
Dwarves and the Empire are really close, they'll ally a lot.

>Bretonnia
Not as close as the Empire, but they're on friendly enough terms, since the Brets helped out in their crusades against Orcs and Goblins.

>Ogres
Neutral at best - sometimes mercenaries, other times they're raiding holds.

>Wood Elves
Cautious at the very best - Karak Norn is keeping an eye on the tree elves. They usually get into fights because timber is good for burning. They'd almost never ally.

>High Elves
Grudges upon grudges, which are only set aside rarely for a common enemy. And then reluctantly and they just can't get along well for long.

>Vampire Counts
Oh shit what are you doing (that is a solid no)

Didn’t Eltharion met some Dwarfs in his Badlands campaign or they just came across the other’s trace of dead orcs?

It's not impossible, but as far as I know it wasn't really mentioned. Either way, High Elves and Dwarves are both good races and probably wouldn't kill each other on sight, but they're very reluctant to work together due to old grudges and just don't really get along culturally.

In the scenario described the dwarves would probably allow themselves to be rescued, with a few grumbles and a reluctant striked grudge from the book of grudes.

games-workshop.com

Have not seen what's going on in years.

Where are the Chaos Dwarves?
Why frak are dwarves called Dvardin or whatever that is? Why isn't the name dwarves?

Could not even find Dwarves without googling.

Where are the Chaos Dwarves?!

Your search for: chaos dwarves did not match any products.

Really GW? Really? Die.

Hide and report folks, hide and report.

forgeworld.co.uk/en-AU/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar?N=2948274773 132393366&Nr=AND(sku.siteId:AU_fw,product.locale:en_AU_fw)&Nrs=collection()/record[product.startDate <= 1517734140000 and product.endDate >= 1517734140000]

I'm on the lookout for miniatures humans on foot with pistols. The free company has too few pistols on the sprue for me.

Gw don't sell chaos durfs, they're forge world.

The dorfs would probably shave their beards with shame.

>dwarves shaving beards
>for having their life saved by elves
You don't know dwarves

Shaving the beard is what dorfs do when they take the slayer oath.

I have a question. I'm starting a game of WHFRP 2e with a bunch of new players, and want to make it a little less lethal by giving them an advanced start. Any tips on a good way to achieve this?

Finished my thunderers

>Have not seen what's going on in years.
>Where are the Chaos Dwarves?
>Why frak are dwarves called Dvardin or whatever that is? Why isn't the name dwarves?
>Could not even find Dwarves without googling.
probably b8 but you must know Fantasy is ded.
We space marine now!

Nice. Feels like the standard bearer's beard needs a wash though.

they shave their heads not their beards, but thats beside the point
Dwarves would not take the slayer oath cuz some elves saved their life.
They'd be stubborn, refuse their help and claim they can do it on their own. They would rather die than accept their help. But if the elves saved them anyway they would just grumble that they didn't need their help and insult them by saying elves can't mind their own business, but when they got back home they would erease a minor grudge from their book because they don't like being indebited to elves.
But taking the slayer oath for this shit? Never, and the fact that you would suggest such an idea means you don't know dwarves well enough or misunderstood their general standing with elves.
They're not enemies, they just don't trust eachother. The old grudges have been avenged with the death of Caledor II.
Furthermore the Slayer oath si something done because a dwarf percieves a deep shame out of his own failings. Becoming a slayer is something far rarer than the tabletop might suggest and even major fuck ups like blowing up an entire engeneer's guild building sometimes are not enough for a dwarf to feel enough shame to become a slayer

I was thinking of adding a small triangular banner, that would work like a weather bane

You might be right, I was sure I had read in the gotrek and felix books that gotrek often mentions "having to shave his beard again" as well as other slayers still barely stubbled after taking the oath.

Also gotrek almost kills teclis upon the first encounter, their conversation in giantslayer showed that the grudges are by no means forgiven.
The high elves even had an item named the cloak of beards to that effect.

So, what are the power rankings for factions?

I haven't read those books in ages but I think that's incorrect. To my knowledge the only thing they need to shave is their head and only then so a crest remains to give them that iconic look.
Beards are holy for dwarves, I'd never believe an accepted dwarf cult would force somebody to remove it.

Beastmen are on the bottom.

Gotrek is insane. He's by no means a dependable voice in the general standing between dwarves and elves.

The cloak of beards is easily explainable in that the elf armybook needed an item related to that pretty major event in their history. Just like dwarves have no less than 2 runes described as made during the war to counter elves.
It's stated in lore that Gotrek Starbreaker declared the grudge avenged when he took the Phoenix crown from the corpse of caledor. But of course it doesn't mean past slights will ever be forgotten.
Elves and dwarves do however have pacific terms. Their relation even improved to the point that the 6th edition dwarf armybook (not the revised one) states that they even trade with eachother, even though only through Tilean merchants who work as mediators

Lore, 6th, 7th, 8th edition or 9th age?

8th.

Factions in lore or tiers on the table top?

I don't think it's incorrect, seems kinda strange to make them shave just their heads though. Since for most of gws history the mohawks could also be dual hawks.
Hell snorri just had nails driven into his head.

He comes into contact with quite a few other slayers though, even a regretful one who seems scared to die and snorri met another who took the oath after his parents brewery was raided by trolls.

I think ultimately whether or not a Dwarf takes the Slayer oath is up to that Dwarf themselves. They take the oath because they feel so ashamed over something, it can only be washed away by a glorious death in battle. So you can have disgraced engineers who have blown up workshops and not taken the oath, because they don't feel ashamed of a failed experiment, and you can have the sons of brewers take the oath after their brewery was raided, even though it wasn't their fault, because they felt ashamed that it had happened.

As for the crest, that's their sign of taking the Slayer oath, along with dying their hair orange. I think in 6th edition, it was taken in honour of a dead Dwarfen prince (Prince Furgil?) the first Slayer failed to protect, but now it's that Grimnir shaved his head like that when he strode into the Chaos Wastes. So there's gonna be some variation on individual to each Dwarf as they're gonna be the ones to maintain it, and Snorri wants to show it with nails, because he can't grow a crest

It's not canon, it's something you read in this general and assumed it was canon without reading any sources yourself.

Ratling guns and WLCs didn't exist before 2001.

Why don't dwarfs use steam tanks?

it's mentioned in the fluff, I think in 6th edition, that they have steam driven tanks on rails

Yeah, it's kind of like Dwarven suicide, with added element that Dawi are all drama queens. So, one dwarf can take the Slayer oath because the girl he asked to marry has rejected him while another Dwarf ruins all his family because of bad business decisions and still not take the oath (probably because his family needs him more than ever)

They are better engineers, but never innovate. So the Empire has machines more advanced, but the Dwarfs do the basic stuff better.

It's not tanks, it's a train in the undgrin ankor.

The engeneer's guild is riddled with ostracism and nepotism.
Also dwarfs are literally unable to invent something new until they test the orignal project for a millenia or so

Also engineers as a whole are fully opposed by runesmiths and most dwarfs back the runesmiths up because they have literally no idea what progress means and stagnation is all they are capable of
Up until end times this way of thinking seemed to be on the verge of a radical change though, thanks to Thorgrim Grudgebearer aka the first non retardedly autistic high king since Kurgan Ironbeard

a mere 17 years ago

you were fine with perfect glass orbs filled with hyperactive viruses custom-bred by rats who also own and operate flamethrowers, of course

It's been almost 12 years since Warhammer ended.

>tfw this year WHFB has been gone for 10 years

Chaos dwarfs do a lot of trading with OK, especially leadbelcher cannons.
I'd say Ogres are neutral with all factions. They're just as willing to fight with you as they are to eat you.

Just take away Fast, or limit it to when receiving or making a charge maybe.

Also, buff the Rapier. Make it as good as an un-nerfed spear. You need the weapon group to use it and it costs a lot.

Give them some advances?

They lose Fast if used one-handed.

Done.

1.) Frequently. Old oaths mean they'll always at least consider it.

2.) Sometimes. Dwarfs have few relations with Bretonnia and no ancient examples of service rendered to look back on. Only when the deal is good, they're facing a mutual foe, and the Brets remember to be respectful.

3.) Rarely. Ogres think nothing of incurring grudges - really, they're too stupid to do anything but. Dwarfs WILL hire mercenaries, though, so it's not impossible.

4.) Almost never. The Athel Loren elves and the Grey Mountain clans have been in on-again-off-again war for centuries. Smaller grudges would likely prevent negotiations to face anything short of Nagash or Chaos.

5.) Extremely rarely. Technically the War of the Beard is considered a settled grudge, but some individual grudges from the war remain and dwarfs generally despise elves as untrustworthy oath-breakers. However, there have been recent improvements in relations. High elves and dwarfs worked together during the Great War and during the Storm of Chaos.

6.) Never. The undead are an abomination to dwarf logic.

>tfw american bits retailers are charging $20 shipping.

In the thanquol novel where he summons a bloodthirster accidentally the dorfs explain their reluctance to deploy such shit.

Spoiler, an engineer creates next level unmanned mini-gun turets and superior metal alloys.
The alloy gets stolen by skaven who use it to build a doom weapon and the machine gun turets melt dorf regiments just as effectively as skaven, but the former have a much lower birth rate.

Essentially it's like that cowboys vs aliens movie where the dumbass aliens bring guns capable of blowing up their own ships despite such a thing being unnecessary.

>End Times

Well, yeah, of course. My question was mostly as to how many would be a reasonable amount to give them.

I was also toying with the idea of stealing the rule from... I think Dark Heresy? Where everyone gets one "free" purchase before the game begins?

From a lore standpoint how likely would you consider a Chaos horde consisiting of followers of Slaanesh and Nurgle to be? As I see it worship of those two gods could be two sides of the same coin of existential dread. While the followers of Nurgle would be those amongst them who desperately tried to repulse and avoid the truth about the insignificance of their own life the devotees of Slaanesh would instead embrace that realisation by seizing the day and living life to its fullest. With that being said, would such an alliance of completely different philosophies ever work in the long run?

To add; there would ofc be alot of greyscale between where the nurgle faction ended and the slaaneshi one began with plenty of people who would over time or from day to day switch 'camp'.

Slanesh and nurgle aren't opposed brah.

It was a good book, user.

1990 was 40 years ago

Age of Sigmar > Fantasy

>I'm hating on this specifically.

Ah, so you're just looking to take a cheap shot at the End Times and missing the point that at that stage Skaven technology had gotten completely out of hand and the world was ending.

>Beards are holy for dwarves

And Slayers are shamed.

Build on some of these suggestions, his clan knows that he was once a slave but he has shown that he has what it takes to be warlord and can't be assassination easily. What he worries is that if it gets out the other clans will take it that his clan is weak and would be easy pickings. Eshin could make it worse by trying to draw the attention of the the big Council clans to this perceived weak clan. Neither he nor his clan are weak for the amount of land they hold, but they are not up to the task of taking on even the weakest clan to hold a seat on the Council of Thirteen, and he isn't about to risk everything to try the commandment rout and take a Lord of Decay on in one on one combat.

Bane???

>To my knowledge the only thing they need to shave is their head and only then so a crest remains to give them that iconic look.

The Slayer Oath only demands that the head be ritually shaved and a crest grown - this is both to honor Grimnir and ritualistically shame the dwarf taking the oath. The longer the crest gets, the worse their shame, since they've not yet been granted a good death's release.

While it isn't mandatory, especially shamed dwarfs have been known to shave their beards as an act of complete and utter desolation when taking the Slayer Oath.

>And Slayers are shamed.
The question was if the slayers HAD to shave their beards, which doesn't seem to be the case.
Thank you for backing me up.

>42

for me it's design being clean and 41st millennium looks at odds with everything else skaven have ever made that makes me dislike the model, the idea of skaven sticking rattling guns on a rogre is very skaven, just the models appearances. do not work for skaven.

pretty good user, I remember you posting your glove conundrum some thread ago. What will you be working on next?