EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous: >Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
What are your pet cards?

Other urls found in this thread:

magiccards.info/query?q=form of the dragon&v=card&s=cname
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>thread question
Pic related. There is literally 0 reason to not run it if your deck has W.

i got stupid lucky with pulls and i have a playset of omniscience so i guess thats pretty cool

>What are your pet cards?
Goes in every deck
Yes every deck I play is in white

thats a good one

>thread question

Goes in every blue deck.

tf am I reading. Im gonna proxy some of these to see if anyone notices

tell me about this card, what memes did you cook up? seems like it could go ok in zada

google translate retardation

i run this guy in a combo deck.

this card is good but it never seems to make the cut in my decks.

Love this card.

Give me some recs on a new colour and general.
I run a selesnya deck but I'm looking to branch out.
Thinking some kind of BBCmc

>this card is good but it never seems to make the cut in my decks
my group is a combo heavy group but slower combo decks (usually turn 6-8), RTD gimping two players potential combo pieces is fantastic but yeah in a different meta i could see it being less good

Gisa and Geralf UB Zombies
or, if you can get your playgroup to allow it, Grusilda, Monster Masher

>What are your pet cards?
Tooth and Nail. If I'm playing against some tryhard deck I can usually snag an instant win combo but more often I prefer to just grab something fun.

Which commander do you think would work best with this card?

I've been looking at it all day thinking there's got to be an easy way to exploit it.

what do you like to grab with it? my biggest payoff card is obv craterhoof but i almost feel like i dont have enough fatties that impact the board at once to run tooth & nail.

i just try to make decks with a more narrow focus and i usually end up playing other forms of artifact/enchantment destruction.

in boros i run duerger hedge-mage because i have flicker and recursion effects. in abzan i run aura shards/rec sage etc. both decks are very creature oriented so it pays to have creature based removal rather than a spell. creatures can be reanimated to repeat their etb effects.

Tamanoa, if your group allows it.

every deck, no exceptions

In my Savra deck I'll usually grab Rune-Scarred Demon and use it to sneakily fetch a way to recur TaN and recast it the next turn or the one after. I do run Craterhoof in there and Sengir Autocrat's a good friend for him because he brings his Serf posse for extra pump.

They allow the Nephilims so I don't see why they wouldn't.

That is, until Form of the Dinosaur resolves, I suppose.

I see no reason not to run Strionic Resonator in every deck.

>no may
Enjoy killing yourself.

Pretty much any targeting spell that cantrips is gold with it, same with clones. I like to pair it with cards like Conspiracy naming Golems. You haven't lived until you've cast kicked Rite of Replication while you control Xenograft/Consipracy. Zada would probably love it too since you have all kinds of spells that target single creatures you control. It'd almost be a backup mini-Zada.

What are some wincons in a Queen Marchesa pillowfort/taxes/drain deck? I only have Approach of the Second Sun so far and I'm considering throwing Ionna in. Is that being too much of a dick even if I don't have a way of cheating her out?

Shattergang Brothers, maybe?

That way you can easily get rid of it when it becomes disadvantageous.

Get yourself a Nahiri, the Harbinger.

What for? Are you implying id get her for her ultimate? What would I tutor for that I couldn't get with any other regular tutor?

>thread question
Goblin Arsonist was my first favourite card and I use one in every deck I have even a single spare slot in

Why is this even a card seriously

>why does Boros get something good
kys famalamadingdong

>rummaging
>super conditional removal
>tutor as an ultimate

Holy shit what an incredibly powerful planeswalker, all that nahiri hype sure was justified, I can totally see how she was supposed to be a match for sorin

>boros
Deck list?

I mean, she's good in anything but EDH/Vintage/Legacy. The scale is much bigger here than Modern or Standard where she's actually worth a damn.

>super conditional removal
>Unconditional enchantment removal

Wow! Enchantment removal in white? Man, I sure am glad I have a Planeswalker powerful enough to do that!

It's Sol Ring removal, so it must be amazing!

You have yet to demonstrate how she's not good and instead just memetext.

>>super conditional removal
>has white identity
>the color with Authority of the Consuls, Blind Obedience, Thalia Heretic Cathar, etc.
lmao

>I can totally see how she was supposed to be a match for sorin
She's not supposed to be though. In a straight fight Nahiri loses to Sorin 9 times out of 10. She's even less of a match for him after the Mending.

>promo art reprint

a-at least mine is foil! who's metal man, btw?

The hell is that +2 -2 -8 shit about?

What?

shit card desu senpai, no idea why its so expensive

(You)

They reprinted her?
Neat.

The numbers in the little shields on the left side of the card. And for that mater the bottom right box only has 1 number, is that power or toughness?

>sits in your hand as a dead card 90% of the time
>doesn't win you the game

Wow yeah real good card there bud

Assuming this isn't bait, how long have you been gone or when did you start playing? I'm actually curious because it's hard to imagine someone who hasn't seen a planeswalker card.

it's a planeswalker card

HOLY SHIT OH MY GOD THIS IS ADORABLE

That's not a creature, it's a Planeswalker, the money-printing machines that began the slow downfall of Magic
They start with as many counters as are on the bottom, then once per turn you can add or subtract counters to use their abilities
You can attack and damage them to make them lose counters, and when they're out of counters they die

>that began the slow downfall of Magic
They're literally just enchantments that you can lightning bolt
why do people get assblasted about them
is it Doubling Season?

>MFW I have 3 or 4 regular ones and 1 foil one that I got years ago at about 2 bucks each (or something like that) when I first started playing because I didn't know how legends worked and thought it'd be cool to play 9 lands a turn.
>Also mfw I didn't realise they're worth so much now.

oh ok thanks.

years, stopped after school when I got a job and didn't have time for it around 2006

>Doubling Season
Favorite card. Was my first love.

They've been around for a while. The decent ones are basically made of money because newbies getting into magic are inexplicably attracted to them and they act like value machines. It's odd seeing someone who hasn't at least heard of them. Either way, welcome back.

I'm still puzzling over what that third one is. My money's on Sundering Titan.

Is /edhg/ a 1v1 EDH player majority? Or are there group players here too?

._.

Try playing against superfriends in OGW standard. They're so obnoxious.

Oh god, he hasn't even seen Gideon tribal.

Heard you needed help against superfriends

The opposite. 1v1 EDH is for literal retards that can't play sanctioned formats for whatever reason.

And then there are those of us who rarely have more than one member of their playgroup available at a time anymore

I'm wondering this too. You just shove the emmy package in there as a wincon? Sounds inconsistent.

I still try and build decks that can function alright in 1v1 since commander games are a way to pass the time between stuff and lots of people have a commander deck on hand

Agreed after you have the 3 mana to play her you’d have to be land flooded to get any real use from that ability

>killing yourself

we'll see who has the last laugh after dominaria makes this a win condition

Azusa is actually really good in a deck built for her. There are a lot of value plays she's capable of. One of the better legends as a mono-G commander.

>eyes are blushing

what did she mean by this?

As far as I know this is the first time wotc has reprinted art that previously only existed as a promo? Is this a new/bad precedent. this means masterpiece arts could get reprinted in future sets etc.

Good. Fuck investors.

Did they just totally miss the point of 'form of', or am I the one that's missing something here?
It doesn't operate like a dinosaur card at all.

The Hanna promo art was printed IIRC. Either way, I'd call that a good precedent because it makes certain arts more widely available to those who want them. With any luck the Invocation arts that were stuck with shitty frames will see print on actually decent frames nah, that'll never happen

>mono-red enchantment
>at your upkeep deal damage to something
>set your life total to a number
Seems pretty on-point with the idea of a "Form of __" card to me.

Doubling Season was reprinted in Modern Masters. Was previously a judge foil or whatever.

It turns you into a big dino that must fight your opponent. That's why their creature gets to attack you. Dinos don't have a cohesive enough theme or attributes beyond Enrage to be as on-flavor as Form of the Dragon.

Form of Dinosaur doesn't reset your health each turn though...

You need to answer my question user.... or I'll do it!

art is badass, desu. what set is that?

>magiccards.info/query?q=form of the dragon&v=card&s=cname
From the vaults

Original was from 9th edition I believe. That one is from From the Vaults.

If you cannot print an entire card type at anything under mythic rarity or 3 cmc (tibalt doesn't count), then it's fucking retarded.

I guess it was just the missing "health reset each turn" that seems a bit lame/bland to me.
That was a big part of why I like FotD - really felt like you were becoming an MTG creature with that mechanic.

That's why you're not a dragon, you're a dinosaur. You don't get to fly to your nest and heal. You stay in the jungle, fighting and killing and dying with the rest.

They really need more simple, low rarity walkers that can just act as small value engines. Maybe give them fewer abilities or simple ones like looting. I'd like to see a low mana cost walker with like 2 abilities. They'd go well in supplemental sets as minor characters.

The idea is that creatures can take a certain amount of punishment a turn, and then get their "life" back if they survive. It's not about going back to the nest to heal.

Would you rather it be just as bad as Form of the Dragon?
Setting life once makes it at least playable, not to mention the fact that this needs to set you higher so you can fight things, whereas Dragon lets you Lightning Axe for free.

Form of the Dragon is cooler though, so my vote goes for that.

>Would you rather it be just as bad as Form of the Dragon?
Kinda, yeah. I prefer flavor and fun over 'spike-approved'.
But I'm also not naive enough to think any cards outside of Commander cards are made with EDH in mind. A 5 health hit is far more reasonable than a 25 health hit.

Oh, I forgot Dragon can hit players too, so it sets you to 5 every end step to let you Lightning Axe or Lava Axe, whereas Dinosaur is you fighting creatures only.

Original was scourge I believe. I know it had an old border.

plus the issue of how much their mere presence dilutes the flavor. too bad bolas has to be reduced to an incompetent dr claw villain who couldn't kill at least one of the gatewatch

OG emrakul is banned in edh

>stuffy doll
>harmless offering

Yeah, you're right. I went and checked after I posted.