NO FUN
O

F
U
N

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Some people want to play a serious game with lots of internal consistency and meaningful consequences... and some people want to play DnD.

You're complaining because someone else wanted to play Witcher 3 and you wanted to play Skyrim?

But I'm not the only one being silly. If it were a totally serious game I'd understand, but it's not.

Why don't you come up with "clever and fun" plans instead?

those get shut down too

Then it sounds like you weren't being as clever and fun as you think you were.

Take it down a notch, O clueless That Guy.

>"stupid but fun"
This is the worst, I don't waste my efforts DMing for these kinds of people, just so they can shit all over the game scream "LE NAT 20 EBIN!!!!11ONE11!!"

>Muh super cereal game of pretend
People like you are twice as cringey as the people you hate.

Stupid is as stupid does.

You've never played a good session, and for that I am sorry.

Please, any session where you can't have a laugh with your buds before the shit hits the fan might as well not even be called a session.

Sorry not everyone is so autistic that they treat a game of pretend like it's a not!Amateur theater production at Broadway.

OP I'm going to give you a test. What if I said women shouldn't be allowed to play fighters?

Maybe you're not so fun then, only silly

The tyranny of fun strikes again

Wtf i hate roleplaying now xdd11!!

>LE LUCHA BUILD!!! L M A O

I'd say they should fight for their right. Earn it.

Yeah, you're just so fucking funny and entertaining with your totally original goblin heavy metal bard who rides a giant chicken.

Clearly anyone trying to tell a story or engage in character development or moral dilemmas is just stupid and can't understand your brilliance.

Oh yeah, and I'm sure going through your generic fantasy novel is sure to earn brownie points with the two people actually paying attention between initiative rolls.

I also disagree with you. Jokes are fine but when the DM goes through the effort of designing a consistent, fleshed out world then having some retard treat it like a family guy / big bang theory punchline factory is fucking gay

You invited this Veeky Forums, you welcomed it in fact. For years you wanted your hobby to be accepted by the normalfags. Now with the advent of critical role you can get your horde of normalfags looking for their casual quip filled experience, you have no one to blame but yourselves.

Guess what, people are going to turn even the most tragic of circumstances into a joke no matter what, it's just the way people are.

If you want to present a tragic story line where nobody smiles and evil wins, just bite the bullet and write it down as a novel because people are not going to share your "creative vision."

False.

>y-y-your NOVEL!
Where did this meme come from? I see it all the time from posters who are salty their SO WACKY xD ideas get deservedly shut down and it makes no fucking sense.

>Guess what, people are going to turn even the most tragic of circumstances into a joke no matter what, it's just the way people are.
Then they should be punished for it. Come to think of, people nowadays enjoy things they should not enjoy. I must break them from this habit.

Because redditors don't like the idea of having to be seriously invested in something, the 'ironic' humor makes them feel safe

Writing a novel is the only way you truly have complete control over everything that the characters do. Even railroading only gets you so far before the players decide to take their business elsewhere.

People who scapegoat reddit like this moron are failed writers who blame people having shit taste because they can't stand the fact that nobody wants to read their story as much as they do.

user i've never written anything nor have I gmed I'm just giving my two cents as a player

>i've never written anything nor have I gmed
Then your opinion is worthless, have a (you) and be on your way.

>You have to be a cook to know what the food tastes like!

yeah, how dare they have EXPECTATIONS for players to try and gel with and play into the game's or scene's mood! I piss on the friendly NPCs grave at his funeral, haha, take that, you novel writer GM!

> "LOL my dwarf cleric worships the God of beer LMAO"

>muh false dichotomy
Kill yourself nigger. Shit like this is why you are in gamefinder threads while I run 2 great campaigns on a weekly basis.

>shuts down any unorthodox or "stupid but fun" plans attempts
You sound like a lolsorandumb that guy.
>hurrr durr I rolled a nat 20 I punch through the stone door XD
That shit gets old quick.

Kill yourself, famalam. I've had players just like you, and I usually just kick your ass after continued shitposting.

The party and how they interact with the setting is what ultimately sets the mood, the most the GM can do is throw situations at them to see how they react to it.

Trying to dictate player actions like a dictator only works when you're the only one interacting with your own story, sorry if that offends you.

>the party is sneaking into a cave occupied by goblins that are following a tyrannical orc leader
>after slaughtering their way to the end of the cave, they take a short rest in a side passage and then have the idea to disguise the halfling as a goblin to walk into the final room
>I describe that, while the disguise totally works and convinces the next room, the orc still throws a spear at the halfling because he has no regard for the lives of his underlings and assumes that this 'goblin' was either a coward or had a hand in the slaughter
>the players seemed to think it was unfair that their plan didn't work

Should I have just let it work despite not making a lot of sense? I explained why the orc still attacked them, despite it being meta-knowledge.

You can stop projecting anytime you want my friend. There's also no need to lie on the internet.

>Shit like this is why you are in gamefinder threads while I run 2 great campaigns on a weekly basis.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

To eb
Everyone bitching in this thread, you can do silly things, like the dwarf that worships a god of beer, but there has to be some depth, play him as a conesuir of beer, getring mad at shit beer and praising places that serve him truly remarkable stuff. Make it a fucking character. Silly concepts can work if played seriously, but not the other way around

This. It's sad when people think lame silly shit is fun.

Yeah, it's people who aren't very smart, aren't very funny, aren't really very much of anything, so they have to retreat to passive irony as the last resort of the uninteresting nobody.

Told.

I too despise people have fun wrong. They should have fun correctly like we do.

yes, keep pissing on that grave, don't let the morbid situation keep you from having FUN

fair point, silly shit works if there's context and lore behind it, at least a good reason

I guess I will if nobody is actually doing anything to stop me.

>fight for their right
To party.

Yes, but most of us bitching aren't talking about a beer-obsessed dwarf but rather luchador orcs and Sir Bearington trying to be shoved into the game.

This.
The Veeky Forums nat20 greentexts are the driving force behind this being acceptable.
Now you get mocked and strawmanned for wanting to run a serious campaign.

>nobody doing anything to stop me means I can do anything I want
are you Jake Paul or something
neck yourself

You're stupid if you think the only two options are "lolrandumb cards against humanity" bullshit, and "railroads game of thrones ripoff".

Again, stop with the false dichotomy. Nigger.

Except my players have said they love my DMing. And why is the campaign all on me? The players make it great too.
Have fun quitting group after group, though. Remember the old Veeky Forums adage: no gaming is better than bad gaming.

>go to a game
>start sitting on a table
>"YOU CAN'T TELL ME TO STOP IN HAVING FUN WHAT ARE YOU THE FUN POLICE"

That's what I fucking hate. Running a serious game with lots of intrigued. Players regularly tell me how much they love the adventure. And then they just do the randomest shit because LMAO.

Well I mean, if we're at a funeral and nobody is going to do anything about my character pissing on some dude's grave, I don't see why you're trying to treat it as a serious event in the first place.

It wouldn't even take much effort to say "you undo your zipper and someone punches you" but instead, you'd rather get booty bothered OoC and allow it to happen in spite of how much it clearly bothers you and everyone else at the table.

That's fair if the precedent was set. If they've seen the orc murder his underlings in the past, then pretending to be an underling is stupid and they deserved it. If they didn't know he acted like that, it's a bit unfair though.

Okay, someone's shitting on the table, is someone going to do something about it or are they just going to laugh nervously and clean up the mess?

It's sad that in a world where you can be anything, you choose to be a weak willed cuck with no assertiveness.

Yeah I find people taking refuge in irony so much it’s annoying. They want to play tabletop but can’t seem to stay serious for more than a sentence without immediately making it clear “lol not rly serious coz I’m too cool for that”

They hadn't seen him, yet, but they had an NPC describe the violent leader the goblins had. There was also a pretty major flaw in their plan given that the halfling didn't speak Goblin or Orcish.

Then I say it's pretty fair that they failed like that.

Game
Master

Being GM isn't like being a player. It's challenging, even with good players at the table.

In exchange for doing the difficult, not as fun, parts, the GM gets to control the overall nature of the world and decide what fits in their game. Their game. In which you are a player.

I like to think that I'm a fun DM, who puts the kind of game my players want to play foremost. So, sure, we can have a Cleric who's blatantly a rabbi, sure, imaginary friend familiar, no prob. But, I'm not going to say your GM is remotely in the wrong. You are simply in the wrong game.

Either adapt, and try something that fits, or graciously excuse yourself from this campaign, and find/wait for something more to your taste.

>entire race speaks one language

>quip
This is unironically my trigger word

Only complaints I have about my gm is that he follows a game ruled by logic and a prefer a story ruled by emotion. I don't give a shit about combat or that kind of thing, it should be a vehicle to the story, I don't care about mechanical challenge so much, I just want to talk with npcs and get plot relevant magic items from runs or aiding an village, instead of something that's just op and in a cave or whatever. And the fag keeps killing npcs that I get attached to in character without giving me a chance to save them, which does piss me off.

Well the thread implies they tell him to knock it off, then they bitch about funwrong

>le badwrongfun xD
>>>/tumblr/

This. It's all about balance and the mood of the game set up.

That's what it boils down to though?
Don't act like it's not an attitude that hasn't infested this dogshit board.

Either get with the intended tone of the game or fuck off. People like you drag the entire game down with your stupidity and selfishness and the instant you're called out on it you resort to 'b-but it's le fun!' If you wanted that type of game you shouldn't have signed up for the one you're in in the first place.

The problem is that you're willing to piss on a grave at the funeral in the first place. Imagine people might be too shocked to react or know what the fuck is going on, but you'll keep doing it because "lol nobodys doing anything"

>Imagine people might be too shocked to react or know what the fuck is going on
Again, that would be the DM's fault if literally nobody in the crowd decided to do anything about some dude whipping his dick out and pissing on someone's casket. Hell, why is nobody in the party doing anything? Why am I allowed to do this crap and nobody does anything to stop me?

Apparently because in a group of 4-6 people, everyone decided to become a cuck.

>Alright, guys, what did you make?
>A retired soldier whose joining the group to help protect the helpless and cope with the horrors he was complicit in during the war
>A brash firebrand preacher hungry to take on corruption and evil, with nothing left to lose after his mentor was killed
>A mercenary just looking for a paycheck
>Okay, so I know you said that they don't exist, but I really want to play an Aarakoa homebrew pirate class that fights with a canon names Stabsalot.
>...Fine, how about a bear that impersonates a nobleman and no-one questions it, lol?
>...Gawd, fine, maybe a masked orc luchador named Los Sharkos mi Punchos who has a goblin that follows him around droppin' dank hiphop beats?

Same man. Same.
At least it's genuinely cinematic sometimes.
Honestly try osr games they help prevent that shit imo.

There are stupid but forced, and stupid but fun builds, don't mix the two.
>Stupid but fun
>It's an ordinary character with a certain twist to make them more unique and add flavor to the gameplay
>Farm boy who starts with a farming tool as a weapon
>Knight that lost his sword and refuses to use any other until he finds it again, so now he fights with only his shield and punches
>Wizard/Sorcerer obsessed with a certain type of spells who doesn't bother with anything else

And then,
>Stupid but forced
>My barbarian orc thinks he is a wizard lmao
>My knight rides a cow lmao
>My Druid smokes weed lmao
>My cleric dwarf is constantly drunk lmao

Basically, the main difference is that the first is about doing something different but still "realistic" in the setting, while the other is about being retarded and making "memes".

I was with you until "stupid but fun"
Most people who try this are just dumb cunts that sabotage carefully laid out plans made by the rest of the party

You hit the nail on the head, user. Plus, you rarely end up with a party of nothing but 'Stupid but Fun' so they tend to get balanced out by the other members of the party and add a lot of flavor while not overwhelming it. But the 'Stupid but Forced' almost always drag shit out and just sour the overall group.

Like when you have a rogue that explicitly describes how filthy and disgusting their are from never bathing but then gets pissy when they aren't allowed with the rest of the party to the noble ball. Or the barbarian that spends 200g on pastries because lmao, this guys sells really big ones.

>GM won't permit Chicken-Boo PCs

Yeah because your worldbuilding skills consisting of !notEurope were so much better.

S N O W F L A K E

>lemme just miss the point entirely and judge the way others choose to play based on my own creatively bankrupt preferences.

Looks like your parents didn't take pretending to love you seriously.

Stupid but fun plans are still stupid, user.

That's fine if stupid fun is what everyone wants, but in this case, it CLEARLY is not.

Yes, there is such a thing as badwrongfun. When your fun comes at the expense of other people's fun rather than in complement to theirs, and vice versa, that's badwrongfun.

To prevent this from happening, we have rules. Not just the rules in the corebook and relevant supplement, but other rules. Unwritten rules, and social rules. There is an unwritten understanding that players will generally try to play harmoniously together, and that means complementing what each other are trying to do.

If everyone but you is playing a serious, deep, complex, lore-heavy game, then yes, screwing around or being silly IS badwrongfun. Because your fun is coming at the expense of others. The inverse is also true. Any time you are not matching the expected fun at the table, your fun is badwrongfun.

Think of it like this. Ever been in a group where just one person was drunk? Is that person fun, or just obnoxious? Now think of it like this. Ever been in a group where just one person was sober? Is that person fun, or just a buzzkill?

"wow, badwrongfun, sorry fun police!" is the shitty excuse of someone who knows they're putting themselves before others.

I never encountered serious game... Where the gameseeker thread went.

The inverse is true as well. If everyone is just having some silly crazy fun and you keep trying to make it grim and realistic, it's going to piss people off.

When Daffy Duck reverses Elmer Fudd's shotgun and shoots him in the face, Elmer doesn't collapse in a horrific blood spray, and it'd be a badwrongfun argument to criticize that in that context.

No, no. I mean seriously. My teams so far were lolfun shit teens with little idea what they are playing and keep pausing the game. I seriously ask - where does one find all kind of online teams. Serious too.

stupid but fun is code for retarded and rulebreaking

>he thinks this is the fault of normalfags

user, this is the fault of neckbeards, normal fags cant play most of the time and make cringry cherecters, neckbeards do "stupid but fun"

By nature, a lot of us are kind of insular. When we find a group of people on the same page as us we kind of tend to play with them a lot.

Ultimately this is an issue with a disconnect between the kind of game you want to play and the kind of game your GM wants to play, here is not a "superior" way to play. A good game is a game where everyone is amused and you are being a faggot for trying to force your tomfoolery onto someone who wants to have a serious game.

Any tips would be welcome. Or directions.

Sorry, but this is something you just have to do the hard way like all of us did. Join or create open groups. Friend the people who are good players, people you like or get along with. When that game falls apart (almost all public games do sooner or later, usually sooner) join another. Friend the people who are good players. Rinse, repeat. You eventually have a large enough list of friends you've played with and know aren't shitters and you know you get along with. Then you can organize games with just them. Bam, you have a group.

Huh, but it will take time. Too much time, maybe.

Sorry, but there's not really a good way to circumvent this process if you don't have a solid in-person group. Take heart, it has its downs but it has its ups too, and at the end of it you might have friendships that'll last a lifetime. I have a group I play with once a week that I've been playing with and otherwise friends with for over a decade. I'd be willing to go through quite a lot to make friends that close for that long.

>Wizard/Sorcerer obsessed with a certain type of spells who doesn't bother with anything else

Definitely an older trope than that

If I would have a good irl. Group, user, I would've wasted my or other people time asking on net. Or any RL group. But thanks for help, user. One last thing - could you share at least some main sub for people playing online? Veeky Forums used to have group search, but it disappeared long time ago.

Can't a guy just make a relevant joke?

When I DM'ed... my players would load their dice and read my notes.

And they pretty much always played Chaotic neutral, and killed anything and everything for the loot.

More than a few adventures stopped at first level when they were hauled away/killed by the town guard.