/tgesg/ Weekend Elder Scrolls General

"The entirety of Apocrypha is just to explain kalpas and dragon breaks" edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
[TES 5E Conversion] uestrpg.wixsite.com/home
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos

Previous kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

lagbt.wiwiland.net/index.php?title=Pocket_Guide_to_the_Empire,_Second_Edition/Preface
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Chaotic_Creatia:_The_Azure_Plasm
imperial-library.info/category/tags/orc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think it's been about five years since I played the Dragonborn DLC. Was there any tasty lore in there?

The protagonist turns into a captive of Hermaeus Mora at the end of it, removing him/her form tes6

regarding the OP, anyone want to try and explain the kalpa cycles and dragon breaks to me?

Why is the weekend thread so late, anyway?

Soullessness of Vestige- how the fuck does it work? Does it make any sense within the lore, or is just an example of ESO creators being hacks?

Old one died Thursday.

What? As far as I remember the Last Dragonborn becomes HERMA MORA's new champion, Miraak gets absorbed?

The interesting lore was about what Miraak was trying to do, as in to end the current Kalpa just to be in the next one as a god

In one of the previous threads an user asked a question: what would be the ES equivalent of Ripple/Hamon from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
I gave it some thought and came to a conclusion that it's pre-Skyrim retcon Way of the Voice - not tied to "dragon speech" and "words of power" at the time, but rather to wind and breathing. According to "Children of the Sky" and "36 Lessons of Vivec: Sermon 9" the Voice is extremely versatile and can have absolutely bullshit effects. The masters of the Voice, the Greybeards, are pacifists chilling around on mountaintops. I'm sure there may be more parallels.

I'm not very deep into these things, but here you go; kalpas:

>The Scripture of the Wheel, First:
>'The Spokes are the eight components of chaos, as yet solidified by the law of time: static change, if you will, something the lizard gods refer to as the Striking. That is the reptile wheel, coiled potential, ever-preamble to the never-action.'
>Second:
>'They are the lent bones of the Aedra, the Eight gift-limbs to SITHISIT, the wet earth of the new star our home. Outside them is the Aurbis, and not within. Like most things inexplicable, it is a circle. Circles are confused serpents, striking and striking and never given leave to bite. The Aedra would have you believe different, but they were givers before liars. Lies have turned them into biters. Their teeth are the proselytizers; to convert is to place oneself in the mouth of falsehood; even to propitiate is to be swallowed. '
>Third:
>'The enlightened are those uneaten by the world.'

Aka is a confused Serpent, an aspect of the stasis which is Anu. It is a dragon god of time. As an eternal circle it bites it's own tail, that is what Alduin represents. But after it eats itself it starts again - this is what Kalpas are. Some things still yet survive the Kalpas, for example Hist. Other things change, like the Ruddy Man becoming Molag Bal.

From what I gather, dragon breaks are just when all timelines happen at once and the jills try and sort everything out.
Basically, time gets fucked up.

dragon breaks

>The wise may substitute one law for another, even into incoherence, and still say he is working within a method. This is true of speech and extends to all scripture.

A dragon break is a break in timekeeping, time is linear however it can splinter into many threads. Then the dragon has to unbreak itself, returning back again to a one timeline. How does the dragon break in the first place? It is somehow related to the music of the divines - the material of creation. When Numidium, the product of dwemer tonal architecture, walked the dragon broke all the time. This is the 3rd walking way, trying to change the beat to which everyone dances. Silencing the tones which oppose you, making your own. But as the tempo of the music changes, the dragon breaks, you shook it too much, but you keep shaking to get the story that you want.

What's your favorite lore?

What lore do you think is the weirdest?

What lore do you hate?

>What's your favorite lore?
PGE2 Morrowind entry, the Marukhati shenanigans.
>What lore do you think is the weirdest?
Can't think of anything specific.
>What lore do you hate?
Discounting the obvious ESO "lore", The Many-Headed Talos.

I posted this in the last general, but the thread was in it’s death throes so I’m posting it again:

It’s a given that Pelinal Whitestrake is a crazy homosexual Murderhobo from the future, but it left me wondering: Is the (canonical default) Hero of Kvatch that very same Pelinal?

By taking up the relics of the Crusader, you’re taking the name of the man that bore them in a sense. Is Pelinal Whitestrake just the Mantle for the person destined to wear it?

Sure, after the Shivering Isles the Hero also takes up the mantle of Sheogorath, but it’s more than likely that he doesn’t fully take the place until his death, leaving Akatosh the rest of the Hero’s (now extended) life to send back to the Merethic era, to fulfill the original Pelinal’s legendary life. Sheogorath’s insanity starts taking it’s toll on the Hero, eroding his memory of the Third Era for the most part, and lead to some memorable moments like ripping out and eating the neck veins of Haromir while praising the future founder of the Septim Empire. The madness of Sheogorath continues to dig into the Hero until his death and dismemberment, his spirit being sent back through time to lead his past/future self towards the very same relics he collected so long ago, before ultimately being returned to the Shivering Isles to finally become Lord Sheogorath at the exact same moment the Hero was sent back in time.

It’s batshit crazy, but so is most other mythos from the elder scrolls

>Pelinal was insane because he was also Sheogorath
Not bad

>PGE2 Morrowind entry, the Marukhati shenanigans.

What exactly are you referencing? I only found PGE2 forum post by kirkbride where he was roleplaying as a memospore computer terminal

beep beep zer-sum venture return false

lagbt.wiwiland.net/index.php?title=Pocket_Guide_to_the_Empire,_Second_Edition/Preface

Dragon breaks, if you picture time as a length of rope, are what happens when all the individual threads of probability that make up the greater bulk of the time-rope are unwound from one another, Each strand being one of the immeasurable ways that time COULD split, but don’t (and that’s the key part here). Since time cannot be split and every strand has to be connected for time and reality to exist without destroying the current universe (or kalpa), they are woven back together into the greater rope again, and by doing so, all probabilities intersect and overlap to achieve the unity again. Now keeping in mind that this rope has a cap on each end to better mark where time begins and ends, you can visualize these aglets as a dragon’s tail for the beginning of time, and a dragon’s head for the end of time, as time is Akatosh, these frays in the rope are where the image of the father of dragons is “broken”, hence the name.

If my autistic imagery makes any sense to anyone else, that is

Well, Sheogorath in title only at that point. As time went on, Pelinal started developing the madness to go with it. He wouldn’t become Sheogorath completely until returning to the Shivering Isles to claim the throne after physical death

What happens to the dragon souls the Dragonborn absorbs?

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Chaotic_Creatia:_The_Azure_Plasm
It's just to explain why in ESO you can use filled soulgems to ressurect yourself.

When you kill Mirrak, you absorb 10 dragon souls, if i'm not mistaken. So the answer is your soul becomes "bigger".

5-10, plus any that fucker stole from you

I my opinion You become more dragon like and enhance your understanding of what it means to be a dragon, by understanding the nature of mortality and Immortality simultaneously you become greater than a man or a dragon. You are capable of making the immortal mortal and the mortal immortal. By virtue of your weakness you are granted cunning and bravery, but by virtue of your power you are given understanding and comfort.
These are just my thoughts anyway

How come Dragonrend hurts and only weakens Dragons, if somehow mortal+immortal is better? Sounds like you can have either one or the other, immortality being more powerful, at least for practical reasons. Dragonborn would get glimpses of immortality by absorbing souls, Dragons would get glimpses of mortality with Dragonrend which they are unable to comprehend.

tam RUGH!

You're basically a white blood cell that was turned into a daedra.

So....
What was meant to light Mundus before Magnus fucked off?

THE RIVERS OF LAVA AND THE FLAME OF DESTRUCTION

Shut up Dagon, go wrestle some guys covered in oil or something.

Trainwiz, how the fuck did Sotha Sil just up and MAKE another heart of Lorkhan?

>The Many-Headed Talos
I don't get why people say this. You do realize that the Many-Headed Talos isn't the reason the jungles are gone, right? That the reason the jungles are gone is because Bethesda decided they didn't want to put them in

I know, I just don't like the fact that MK justified it at all.

Burning elves

Took me a while to get a good answer from anyone, but I did eventually.
The actual fact is it's not exactly a heart. Remember how Sotha Sil experimented with the ability to remove and physically divert divine energy, as well as the actual limits and energy distribution properties of it?
So the Heart is sort of the end result of that experimentation. He put the very last (or part of) his divine energy into a mechanical entity that then became a power source. The thing that makes it special is like the original Heart, you can draw power from it eternally. Sort of. The original Heart can grant divinity without any visible division of power. The Mechaheart does the same but is much lower in power, but easily enough to power the city. It's also why Sotha Sil or the Tribunes couldn't just draw power from it instead, in order to do so they'd have to take that spark back, which would then fade.
So basically he stuck his toe in a tuperware container so that it would last forever.

Why are there more mer species than man?

Man species are racist

Elves are more strongly influenced by their habitat.

The Aldmer splintered a whole fucking lot.

Because all the elves hate each other too much to reintegrate into a singular race like the Nibenese and Colovians did.

Do you think Umbriel will play a big role in the next game?

No, stuff from the novels will probably only be referenced sparingly, never used more than that.

but it's super interesting

So I'm finally looking over all the 3E rules for UESRPG, and I'm a little daunted. As a player and GM, my background is primarily in Storyteller, which uses d10 pools and is pretty streamlined, along with a bundle of more obscure stuff like Way Out Waste and the like.

UESRPG seems pretty dense/clunky, to me, but does it only /seem/ that way? Could I get some feedback from folks that have run it or played it, about what you liked or don't like about it? Is it difficult to pick up?

I'm very impressed with it. It does a great job of not just being some fantasy game with an Elder Scrolls paintjob, but actually portraying the game accurately at the mechanical level, which is really important in bringing such a rich world to life. I really admire the team's dedication, and their creativity in not only preserving a lot of the stranger and more obscure lore, mechanically, but by making it all very accessible.

*impregnates your slave queen*

Is it possible Morihaus was just a Nord wearing a horned helmet? If Alessia really was the mother of all minotaurs than Oblivion really missed an opportunity.

IIRC, the project started out heavily influenced by Dark Heresy and/or Runequest, and though it's been moving away from those, it's still sort of in the same vein.
I've never played UESRPG (aside from some very brief online stuff, because getting an IRL group can be hard enough even when playing published games), but I draw most of my experience from GURPS and Storyteller System, so I can sympathise with you.

The subreddit has a bit of feedback, and the devs do try to collect it, so you could probably ask Anon133 to see some of that. It's probably more efficient than waiting for the few people here who've played it to reply.

As for being clunky, I'd say that has a lot to do with the general genre of roleplaying game it belongs to, trying to be more granular and tactical in terms of combat than stuff like Chronicles of Darkness. But without having played it, I can't say much more than that.
I will add that I found character creation to be a fair bit less daunting than I thought it would be. I hope any of this is helpful.

I don't think she was the mother of all minotaurs considering her husband was one. Minotaurs were around, my question is how they go from being worthy of being the worthy to lead an army to being wild savages?

From what I remember, Miraak was trying to restore the Aka-Tusk oversoul by reversing what Maruhkati Selective did to it.
By doing this, Lorkan wouldn't have been fused to Aka-Tusk and Alduin, Akatosh, Auri-El, and all the other fragments of Aka-Tusk would fused back together as they were now never broken in the first place. The normal cycle of kalphas would continue and Alduin will have ended the world like he was supposed to do.

Probably rendered retarded by Talos so that the Septims would be more revered than their predecessors. Wouldn't be surprised if he did it at the same time he wiped out the jungles. If he's not above forcing abortions on his underage conquests he's certainly not above robbing an entire species of it's sapience.

wow, talos seems like a real dickhead. maybe the thalmor were right

They'd be right if they actually played up the fact that Talos was a dickhead, which they don't.

Mor, First Breath of Man, was more of a winged bull than a minotaur, and he was a divine creation of Kyne/Kynareth (hence Morihaus-Breath-of-Kyne).

From the Song of Pelinal:
>Perrif to Kyne: "Morihaus, your son, mighty and snorting, gore-horned, winged, when next he flies down, let him bring us anger."
>It is a solid truth that Morihaus was the son of Kyne
>It is famous, though, that the two talked of each other as family, with Morihaus as the lesser, and that Pelinal loved him and called him nephew, but these could be merely the fancies of immortals. Never did Pelinal counsel Morihaus in time of war, for the man-bull fought magnificently, and led men well, and never resorted to Madness, but the Whitestrake did warn against the growing love with Perrif. "We are ada, Mor, and change things through love. We must take care lest we beget more monsters on this earth. If you do not desist, she will take to you, and you will transform all Cyrod if you do this." And to this the bull became shy, for he was a bull, and he felt his form too ugly for the Paravania at all times, especially when she disrobed for him. He snorted, though, and shook his nose-hoop into the light of the Secunda moon and said, "She is like this shine on my nose-hoop here: an accident sometimes, but whenever I move my head at night, she is there. And so you know what you ask is impossible."

>Morihaus was an insecure love interest to Alessia
Das cute

So is it safe to assume that Morihaus wasn't bipedal, that he resembled a conventional bull? It'd be nice to know for a bit of fanart I'd intended to draw.

It's a bit vague, actually.

You have times when his bull-like nature is emphasised:
>the severed head of Pelinal spoke to the winged-bull, Morihaus, demigod lover of Al-Esh
>"Whitestrake, but I am a bull, and therefore reckless in my wit."

And times when he's a man-bull:
>Never did Pelinal counsel Morihaus in time of war, for the man-bull fought magnificently

Now, you could pretty much solve this any way you want. It's conceivable that he was an actual winged bull, and that descriptions of him as a man are because of his association with Kyne and men, or because later writers would only be familiar with minotaurs. Or maybe he was a winged minotaur all along. Or perhaps he was originally a bull, was later worshipped as a minotaur, and now he's just "always been" a minotaur.
C0DA describes him as a winged minotaur.

What I'm getting at is that you can make a convincing case for both, so I don't think it matters much. He's of a divine nature, he could have many forms.

I know this isn't very helpful, but it's just the way things are.

>Shlick commenting on MK's stuff
What?

I guess. I just posted it because I don't have a whole lot of images of Mor.

They're friends and like each other.

He was probably a bull that walked on two legs. More a Tauren than a Minotaur.

What's the point of worshipping Gods that aren't Daedric Princes?

>He was probably a bull that walked on two legs. More a Tauren than a Minotaur.
wut

He's a bovine hominid, not a man with a bull head, that's what user meant

but all of the minotaur have cow legs, even in oblivion

Free robots.

Imagine those, but with a cow chest too.

so an upright cow with man hands? i think he was just a standard minotaur

How literally should I interpret “the Numidium walking” in this sense? Is there a parallel with “setting the rhythm0 by walking and how Phynaster taught the elves to take shorter steps?

Do you really have this much trouble picturing a bipedal bull that isn't a minotaur?

He's walking in a literal sense too, stomping the things out of existense.

A furry but the animal in question is a bull

I personally like this interpretation.

That guy looks like a real dickhead.

>5 legs

This is just how assyrians did things.

Sleipnir had 8.

Ouch. Poor Perrif.

Wat

Basic Clockwork City policy. One prayer = one free robot.

Mor had wings? Is he some sort of one of a kind creature?

He is an Ada, a primordial spirit. Well, he might be the second generation, depending on what exactly "son of Kynareth" means, but still.

On the contrary, only crazies and Dunmer worship Daedra. The demonic Princes of Oblivion, surprise surprise, have demonic qualities, don't really care that much for mortals, and will kill you to teach your lesson if you're doing something that irks them. Even the "good" ones like Azura might tell you to live in isolation for a century to win a bet. Or forget about you when you turn into a vampire.

It's an analogue to what people on /x/ do in the spare time, except it's real. If you worship the Daedra you do it for power and attention, and how exactly is it even going to make your life any easier? It's not like the Dunmer had an easy existence, seems like they have been getting fucked all the time actually. Better to worship the Aedra, whose spheres seem to align themselves with what you actually need for a happy life, or a civilization.

Malacath, Meridia, and arguably Azura are all pretty benevolent, and the first two share aedric origins.

>The Hero of Daggerfall quenched Malacath's thirst for vengeance by killing an ungrateful suitor who had spurned Malacath after receiving his gifts. Malacath once asked the Nerevarine to seek revenge on behalf of an Orc adventurer who was denied his rightful fame and glory after vanquishing a great threat when his Dunmer partner took all the credit.[13] Though both the original Orc and Dunmer were long dead, Malacath's ire was so great that he requested the Nerevarine slay the Dunmer's only remaining descendant (although, in reality, another relative—who may or may not be a direct descendant—lived on in Cyrodiil). Malacath's self-professed love for vengeance was so great that in the early Fourth Era he agreed to assist Prince Attrebus Mede in his quest to defeat Umbriel simply because his companion Sul's motivation was the curse he carried with him.

Doesn't seem very benevolent. And who the hell wants to spend their afterlife in Ashpit, where the backbone of the realm is an actual backbone? And iyou have to be an ugly freak for him to even like you.

>"Meridia may speak fair to mortals when she wishes to use them or command their obedience, but here in Cyrodiil we remember her for what she was: a patron and mentor to the Heartland High Elves, and complicit in the bondage and oppression of as much of humanity as the Ayleids could enslave. Her honeyed words hide devious purposes."

Also she hates all the undead - doesn't matter if they're good or bad.
As for Azura there are plenty of times she was a cunt, I wouldn't trust her any more than Meridia.

>Never did Pelinal counsel Morihaus in time of war, for the man-bull fought magnificently, and led men well, and never resorted to Madness

>Never did Pelinal counsel Morihaus
>for the man-bull ... never resorted to Madness

What's the goal of Lorkhan? Does he deviously want to become the Godhead, having used up the Aedra, and now extending the Kalpa until he finally succeeds?
Or, more altruistically, does he want everyone to be able to achieve that enlightenment?

How do the Aedra play into this, is he using them, or do they know his goal? Are mortals just fuel to hold the Wheel together?

>Who the hell wants to spend their afterlife in [the] Ashpit?

The Orsimer, for one. Malacath, Father of the Pariah Folk, was once mighty Trinimac, champion of Auri-El and strongest of the Aedra. So powerful was the love and devotion of his worshippers, they too were transformed after his passing through Boethiah.

To go to the Ashpit is to go home with the Father of the Orsimer, for you have lived an honorable life and most likely died with glory in combat. Here your spirit feasts and fights for eternity with your kin, at home in the great longhouse of Malacath himself. It’s a respectable afterlife that even the Nords of Skyrim would note as honorable

Morihaus, the man-bull: dude you should tone it down a notch

Pelinal, time traveler, local crazy man: I CANNOT HERE YOU OVER THE SOUND OF MY VEIN CHEWING AND THE GLORY OF REMAN

>'Dust,' he whispered to me on the first day of his voyage. 'I can see from one end of the world to the other in a million shades of gray. There is no sky or ground or air, only particles, floating, falling, whirling about me. I must levitate and breathe by magickal means …'
>Zenas explored the nebulous land for some time, encountering vaporous creatures and palaces of smoke. Though he never met the Prince, we concluded that he was in Ashpit, said to be the home of Malacath, where anguish, betrayal, and broken promises filled the bitter air like ash.
>[Attrebus] heard birds chirping, but it was a doleful sound, as if something with a vague memory of having been a bird was trying to reproduce sounds it no longer felt.” Malacath appears to feel some sort of sadness towards this locale, reproducing it in his realm. He describes it as a “shadow of a garden, this echo of something that once was."

Feasts and fights? Respectable? I see a broken, burned down land, now in deep sorrow and melancholy. It was perhaps great once, but now it's only a painful, vague memory.

But why worship the Aedra? Seems like a waste of time

How accurately is Coldharbor depicted in ES:O? I was thinking the plane of slavery, domination and rape would look a little different

Because if you worship Daedra, you go here:
when you die. And that’s just Milagros Bal. You’re Hircine’s literal dog for eternity if you worship Him. We know what the Deadlands are like if you’re a Dagon supplicant, etc.

Forgive me Zenithar for I have phoneposted. *Molag Bal

is it just Nirn but hellish in ES:O? if it is, it's accurate
well, close to accurate.

Outside of the benefits of culture, mortality, and comfort that religion usually brings?

The big reason would be that they made the world, and hold it together. They are stasis, and protect against chaos. Akatosh himself shows up to throw Dagon out. Mortals should be grateful for their sacrifice, and by honoring them, perhaps the world is influenced ever so slightly in your favor. Another reason is to get a good afterlife, although Vivec for example thinks that is a trap within a trap, and who knows what actually happens after death.

Also if you pray at their shrines, through faith, all your afflictions are banished. Rejoice!

Perhaps there is the separate afterlife realm for the Orsimer, like Sovngarde is for the Nords

>worshipping gods
>not just becoming your own gods
I'm pretty sure he just wants everyone to achieve it.
I think it was something having to do with love and sacrifice, honestly.

Where are you getting this "Sovngarde but for orcs" from? Is there ever a mention of that, or was that just what you wanted to happen because it's a common trope?

That’s not an actual screenshot of Ashpit though. Where humanoids live it’s probably a lot like Vvardenfell.
t. Orc main

>The Ashen Forge sits at the center of Malacath's own stronghold in the Ashpit. According to some scholars, Malacath's plane of Oblivion consists of nothing but dust and smoke and ash. But his followers believe that the eternal emptiness contains all the things they hold dear and deem necessary to enhance their immortal existence. As the ultimate expression of the Orc stronghold, Malacath's Ashpit bastion stretches endlessly across the planes, extending even behind the stars to Aetherius, granting access to every worthy Orc who crosses from this life into the next. In Malacath's stronghold, every Orc is a chief, every chief has a thousand wives, and every wife has a thousand slaves to cater to their every need. The stronghold's walls rise one hundred feet into the smoky sky, constructed of polished steel and worked iron. Inside the walls, stone keeps, iron towers, and massive longhouses surround the central square that houses the Ashen Forge.

imperial-library.info/category/tags/orc