Is there such a thing as a reasonable...

Is there such a thing as a reasonable, even-tempered fire mage that only uses as much magic as is necessary for the situation at hand?

It seems like "someone talked shit about their hair so they tried to burn down an entire city" sorts are a lot more common.

fire mages are fags whos tiny penis make them overcompensate with inefficient spells

earth magic is for the true practitian

Yes

YES! THERE IS!

t. fire mage with a small penis and love to earth wizards

He's not exactly a mage, but yes.

You rang?

Relatively sure he burned down a city one time.

didnt he literally mass murder a bunch of totally not jews and burned down their city though?

First thing that came to mind.

Yeah but he was just following orders.

Local man informed "I was just following orders" not an effective defense when charged with war crimes.

Do a fireplace mage. Warm the soul as much as the body with various buffs, stave off the darkness with your light, fire the bravery in the heart of men...
Also cooking.

Yes. But they're not very interesting for making up stories about so you don't hear about them.

This guy, Jean Colbert. He's from a shitty series, but he's one of the few good characters. He's a fire mage who works at a teacher at a Mage's school, and is basically trying to use Fire Magic to start an industrial revolution

the court of tg- Nuremberg finds him guilty of not being a fire mage technically. back on topic, he's still a good example of a fire "mage" who fits op

Yeah. Something that haunted him and affected him for the rest of his life (along with everyone else involved). Mustang truly realized the destructive power of fire and vowed to replace the man who ultimately gave him the orders and change his country for the better.

They were never charged with war crimes.

>(along with everyone else involved)
what? most of them enjoyed it, only mustang and armstrong felt bad

My gm makes a good distinction between evocation fire magic, and artificing fire magic.

I haven't finished FMA:Brotherhood yet, but I think it's been hinted that partway through the war, he started colluding with a coroner and burning transmuted pig-carcass dummies to convince his superiors that he was doing his job without actually killing anyone.
He does still have blood on his hands from before that point, however.

Either way, he's engaged in political maneuvering since then to try to claim the position of Führer once King Bradley's dead and reform Amestris from within.

Can't give an example, but a focused fire mage could do.
He's less of a large bonfire and more of a cutting torch: Small, precise and FAR more dangerous
He won't always use fire, opting for non-lethal methods or diplomacy.
But when the gloves come off he's willing to utterly burn what stands in his way to very fine ash

Mustang, Hawkeye, Hughes, Armstrong, the coroner, probably others. The only one who we see having explicitly enjoy it is Kimbley, and he was already fucked up. But everyone's for better or worse, were affected in some way.

Also Tim Marcoh and Hawkeye also felt terrible. And the general sentiment is that it was a shitty war, so probably many soldiers aren't too proud of it really.
It's only insane people like Kimblee that really enjoyed it, with assholes like Basque Grand not feeling an inch of guilt.

>Be me
>Secretly played pic related
>Even used spells to turn into bear regularly

So you inadvertently handicapped and stymied the field of Fire Ecology and gave several generations completely false and unscientific information for generations?

Yes

Earth and firefags need to shut the fuck up and ride the Lightning.

>implying lightning isn't just concentrated fire

>lightning
literally just less useful fire

Because hack writers think they're clever for giving their fire mage a... fiery temper!! ×DDDDD

Maybe you should read the manga.

I see. Carry on then

May I see it?

Man, is Steamed Hams just the new Baneposting now?

yes
for you

May I shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane?

>nobody's posted iroh

Read the thread faggot!

user, it's time to see the optometrist.

>fire mage using diplomacy
/facepalm

what, you don't think you can solve problems just using sick burns?

Why should a characters choice of enemy disposal completely limit their social approach to the point that they couldn't use diplomacy?

In a campaign I recently joined the fire mage I made is an old guy who lived all his life in a cold land, he learned fire magic to first and foremost survive the cold climate and to then travel around the world to help those in need of warmth.
So I think its possible to create a "pacifist" fire mage but as fire is often represented as a deadly and destructive force in most settings, its only up to the player to not become a caricature of an hot headed pyromaniac (I can only think of Dark Souls, in its lore pyromancies have a lot more usages than just chucking fireball)

Pretty sure he was famous for being ruthless and angery just like every other fire faggot before his heel turn

>even-tempered
>doesn't burn shit when their hair is insulted/changed

Yes, but most people, or players, choose fire magic because of it's potential for just big, chaotic war magic, hurling giant handfuls of destruction at anything. Which is cool and all, but most folks seem to take fire for granted and just toss it around, no finesse, no artistry, it's a shame.

Not even tempered really, but isn't some idiot who just shoots fire everywhere in a fight.

Nah. Iroh was always Iroh he was also just a really damned powerful and skilled firebender general with a duty and powerful a vision to follow. Just imagine him now but happier and willing to fight instead of being calmer and peaceminded.
ex: He allowed the dragons to live and lied to the world to keep them and the sun warriors safe from outsiders, horsed around with sun and nephews for funsies and general enjoyment, always had his tea fetish, and only attacked ba sing se because he was given a vision that he would BEFORE his son died in the siege and he turned towards peace and calmness.

Of Courshe!

That's entirely unrelated. My guy works his ass off to get his hair looking like actual flames and some douchefag coming in with a modified bowl cut trying to smooth it down or saying it looks stupid is justifiably an asshat thing to do and obviously requires a metered response.

Speaking of OP, magma counts as fire, right?

>rubbing rocks together counts as elemental fire
Nah, buddy. Go back to your geology club meeting with all the other earth mages.

I'd count it.

does harry dresden pre-winter count? he clearly has an affinity for fire, but has his whole "muh civillians" keeping him from just burning down chicago

>electricity is less useful

>Rubbing sticks together is fire
>Rubbing stones is not

He still does a lot of burning, he just got better at other stuff.

Also, i really like when fire magic can draw heat away, creating ice. It's such a cool application.

Prove otherwise ya fucking sparky.

The even-tempered do not tap into the true nature of Fire.

Fire does not want to be controlled. Fire does not want to be chained. It wants to expand. It wants to consume. It wants to burn. It wants to devour and incinerate until nothing is left but ashes.

If you want to get the most out of Fire, either dominate it so utterly through your will that it does as you please, or embrace its hunger and burn the world.

>fire wants
>failing this hard at step 1
Fire IS, user. It simply devours and incinerates by existing. You can't chain it as there's nothing tangible to chain.
The best you can do is guide it where you want it through effort of will and technique or having a similar enough nature that your goals, intentions, and natures coincide like some weird quantum entanglement between atoms.

So you say even tempered folks cannot tap into fires true power, and then right afterwards say "just control it by dominating it"
You fool! You fool!

That's honestly a pretty shallow and shortsighted view of fire.
What it is, is transformation and a wide opening for forced renovation. If someone wants to dominate fine, but at least admit that it's them who want to do that, not spew baby's first ideology.

Wrong, fire is a force or renewal, not death. It is through fire that new life is given room, that energy and space is provided to the next generations.

Fire is that which cleans up that which is stagnant. It restarts the succession of life, and allows for that which was forgotten to flourish again.

Without fire, the wildflowers would have no space or chance to grow. Without fire, the great sequoias would never germinate grow. Without fire all lands would be choked with invasion and monocultures of woody shrub.

Fire is not the destroyer and consumer of life. It is merely the converter of life potential. It is that which cycles alongside rot in the circle of creation.

>start an industrial revolution
You didn't tell them why that's cool. It's a setting where the nobility are defined by the presence of the wizard gene, magic is so common that technology is stifled and nothing can get accomplished without submitting to a mage, and he's trying to make them obsolete.

Can't read shit/10

Funnily enough, while not fire *mage*, the whole "fire is purification and renewal" does have some representatives

>Warcrimes
>Not being a thing that was made up in order to have something to charge the remaining Nazi leadership with

You are adorably naive. That's not what was implied at all. It was medical experimentation.

you're welcome

This. Mustang wasn't trying to not be a murderer he was wracked with guilt so he was trying to skirt human transmutation laws HEAVILY and undue his crimes somehow.

You know the phrase "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"? To fire mages, everything looks like accelerant.

With enough heat everything IS accelerant.

And that does precious little to reassure people about fire mages.

often a very hot flame at the right point is FAR more destructive than a cool fire everywhere

No.

It's okay.
If the fires hot enough you won't feel a thing.

Why are phoenixes not being mentioned here. I don't understand, guys, you really got the concept and yet failed so hard.

Nyoro~n

Eh, phoenixes are kinda boring

One of the quintessential examples.

Shut your face. Phoenixes are the best thing ever.

Well you could make a priest/follower of not!Hestia/Vesta.

For a virgin, she's giving a very saucy look.

I always found "Phoenixes" to sound so ugly, up there with tomatoes.
Not a real word, but I like the sound of phoenexi better.

>with assholes like Basque Grand not feeling an inch of guilt.
Get that fan fic shit out of here. Basque Grand was a good man with a terrible job to do, who worked for a diplomatic resolution that was thrown out by King Bradley.

03 can suck a dick.

>worked for a diplomatic response
>literally shot his own superior and made sure everyone stayed mum about it all claiming it "must have been a stray bullet" to try and make this happen
>guy is literally a cold an unfeeling monster who just did what was most efficient and saw a short solution compared to the long solution of war
Dude didn't care for shit he was just cutting to the quick not trying to spare people dying.

Wasn't it Hughes who claimed it was a stray bullet? And didn't everyone agree with the story because the guy was a promotion-hungry asshole with a knack for getting his men killed, and would have rejected the enemy's surrender, prolonging an already bloody battle?

I recall there being an exchange of glances with meaning to which hughes made himself implicated in a murder because of.
I also recall that basque gives zero shits about killing and honed his CQC and alchemy doing so during said war and was known to be the more successful alchemists even moreso than a man who could and did burn down entire villages in an instant then BRAGS about how he earned said skills later to an ishvalan.
Funnily enough and as a sidenote it's revealed by the artist he got so good at killing the only way scar got him was he caught him coming out of a pub soused to shit.
Tl;dr you're talking about a cold, prideful, and willingly genocidal psychopath.

Dude, Basque Grand killed Fessler because he wanted to kill the Ishvalan Grand Priest befre the guy could negotiate peace terms with Bradley. Basque Grand wanted the war to end just as much as everyone else. He killed his superior after the guy ordered them to execute the priest.

So you're saying Basque killed the guy that purposefully took away the most efficient way to end the war as I mentioned earlier?

Bradley killing Lowe shortly afterwards didn't end the war. The war only ended after the massacres made by the State Alchemists.

The pyromancer I wrote up for a Dark Souls campaign was like this. She made a big deal over the fact that her mother was technically nobility and tied up a lot of her personal identity in things she thought nobility would find fashionable, like fencing. She was a very accomplished pyromancer in her own right, but it only came out in combat against opponents she couldn't best with swordplay.

Yes but I'm saying he killed Kessler because he ruined the most efficient way to end the war not because he killed the man.

never met a fire mage that didnt have a micro penis

I really didn’t like that wed never ever seen him perform ice magic before Changes, always sucking the heat out of something to freeze it and using the heat in a fire spell, but then he fucks Mab and suddenly “arctis” and “infriga” like it’s natural.

Hestia wasn’t a Virgin, was she? I do remember her being best girl

Say that to my dicks face and we'll see about that.

I once played a min-maxed fire sorcerer that was an absolute beast but only used magic if others couldn't solve the encounter (read: kill enemies).
He never realized how strong he actually was, instead he always just said that he was a tattoo artist first and foremost and did a bit of fire magic on the side.

>Howl
>Even-Tempered

user...

I actually have a character who uses magic exactly like this. He mostly uses it in his workshop, restoring old metal tools or to heat his hot chocolate. Most of the tricks he uses that involve open flames are parlor tricks he developed for fun.

You're leaving out the part that Bradley had already ordered the genocide, but Basque Grand still allowed an Ishvalan diplomatic envoy through. He was no more a genocidal maniac than Roy was.