What is the superior setting?

What is the superior setting?
Steampunk, Dieselpunk, Atompunk or Cyberpunk?

All of them if done well. Steampunk tends to get the short end of the stick because of cogfops and cyberpunk in a way because of cybergoths who just wear spiky boots and gas masks and think that's cyberpunk.

That said, nothing gets my johnson up in the morning like a sexy lady in 50's clothing being not to subtly sexy

Take out the word punk and they're all okay, but...
Atomicpunk, definitely.

But, what's the punk part?

For the people living in them? Atompunk. Inherently optimistic, clean, children friendly. Things are great and they are getting better.

I'd figure if the setting is suppose to be the late 50's early 60's it would be sort of the rebellious age where old ideas are being challenged. Not so much like cyberpunk where it's the common joe wage slave versus the collosus of industries but cultural ideas. Johnny Goodboy who suddenly finds he can't stand polite society and gets on his hover bike and becomes a wonderer surviving out in the wastes fucking random jezebels in leathers and getting into knife fights with mutants with pompadours

That... doesn't sound too bad actually.

I mean, you can always go further than that.

Weird !Jesus Freaks who are all into drugs and eastern religion and being all weird and crazy about it who'll no doubt because the hard as fundamentalist we see today.

!Hunter S Thompson who's high on something and living by the seat of his pants as he's writing his novel about living outside of the archologies

People getting all uncomfortbly about letting niggers in their nieghborhoods but mutants as well?!

Basically the end of an era where people leave the confined safety and comfort of the sort of dome habitats we see in cheesy 50's Popular science magazines to come up with new ways of living.

>For the people living in them? Atompunk. Inherently optimistic, clean, children friendly. Things are great and they are getting better.

Until the bombs drop that is.

MDEpunk

What would happen if you put all four of them together?

Cyberpunk because it is more relevant to modern life than the others.

Biopunk

Outside of Africa real life is a shitty setting.

everyone knows the only true punk is scavengepunk

wait shit no scrap-punk

like this

Something set in Russia would work.
The old Tsarist order could work as a kind of grim Steampunk, dieselpunk and atompunk would be the militaristic industrial Soviet themes, and cyberpunk would be the new oligarchical systems coming into power. You could make all of these work as factions in the space of around three or four decades in the spirit of an ever accelerating century of revolution

fun read

Atompunk is too campy and toothless.

Cyberpunk is too fiddly and pretentious.

Steampunk and Dieselpunk are best for running an RPG. The tech level is interesting and can add some nice crunch, but it's not so complicated that you need to be an engineer or programmer to play a tech-focused character. The world is still big and unexplored with room for adventure. There's room for foreign empires, ancient monsters, lost civilizations, and dark secrets.

Cyberpunk is limited to noir adventures, atompunk feels limited to campy adventures. Diesel/steam can do noir or camp, but you also have lots of other options (pulp, gritty, opera, fantasy, etc.).

>Cyberpunk is limited to noir adventures
How can one man be so wrong?

Realitypunk is the worst. It's like cyberpunk, only without adventures and cyberspace. Being a hacker is pretty fucking boring, because social engineering is like 9000 times more effective then any 1337 5k!115

Blame! is way beyond cyberpunk. You might as well call Star Trek cyberpunk.

Thief 1 and 2 (especially 2) were the only good "steampunk" settings, if you could even call them that.

Not to mention almost all punks died of overdose around 1995.

>Diesel/steam can do noir or camp, but you also have lots of other options (pulp, gritty, opera, fantasy, etc.).

This guy fucking gets it.

Why is Tibet almost always an exotic place of adventure in dieselpunk fiction?
Was Tibet important in the 1920s/1930s?

Basically, Shangri-La. See, this guy named James Milton wrote a book in the 30s which featured a secluded utopia in the Tibetan Himalayas--one which proved extremely popular, not least because it was one of the first widely-published paperback novels. It should be no surprise that the idea gained a foothold in the public consciousness, and that such a staple of the times would be referenced by a genre which, well, references those times.

Dieselpunk, steampunk and cyberpunk are cool as well. Atompunk is shit, I love Skyrim but I can't really bring myself to play Fallout because of the shitty setting.

Cyberpunk. You know it's true.

Modempunk.

I just fell in love with African military history.

How is atompunk toothless? We're talking about a setting as a vehicles for the American perception of the 1950s--that's a doublebarreled shot at the utopian period of the postmodern conservative.

Anything you say or do with that is saying something profound about the American experience. You can craft a story that cries out about how great it is, you can lay bare division, you can discuss work labor issues, white flight (creation of suburbs/intensified segregation), the civil rights movement, and the Cold War.

Honestly kinda gettin' a history boner right now.