/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General:

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
How do you portray Gods & Demons in your setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HkCS9QWr
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Really?
Just the same thing again?

show a little creativity at least

Most user's probably didn't see it or don't remember. Those are the one's that will probably give him (you)'s.

>How do you portray Gods & Demons in your setting?

In the case of gods at least, I find it's best to leave them vague. Have their only interactions with the world be through dreams and visions and other such "un-proveable" methods. Clerics can channel their powers, sure, but they're channeling power from an entity they can't communicate with directly, nor can they prove it's existence to others. For all anyone else knows, they're just drawing from a plane of positive energy, or performing the magic of their own power.

I find confirming the existence of gods 100% trivializes too many questions of true faith or morality or the nature of and meaning of life and death.

I need advice from a That Guy.
You're a noblewoman whose bitch of a Battlemaster daughter has decided to begin a vendetta against you. You have noble contacts and your overprotective husband who's quite capable but is a little bit of a softy and isn't willing to kill your daughter except as a last resort. How do you make it look like an accident? Humiliation is a bonus but not required.

The Gods are one big ole family who are currently chilling on the moons resting after they overexerted themselves cutting off the plane from all others because Good and Evil gods (and their forces) kept using the plane as a place to settle disputes. They're hands-off with the plane right now, and likely will be for millennia, but the people of the plane are at least somewhat devout, though it differs between the four continents.

Demons and devils on the plane are those who were trapped when the plane was cut off and now die permanently when killed so Demons are more aware of the attention their activities bring while Devils have learned to blend into society. They're each able to "sanctify" the souls of mortals to give birth to new demons and devils but the process draws enough attention that they can't just constantly kidnap and turn mortals.

you should probably not DM

long lasting weakness poison s.t. she grow weak over a long period before dying. you can have visions of how you'll need to feed her soup because she is too weak to raise the spoon in her last weeks. that will show her for being something other than a lady.

Thanks.
The noblewoman is expected to die (the mother, not the Battlemaster), but I wanted to make her capability to threaten the party/her daughter serious business, instead of a pushover.

I'm forced to play fifth edition because nobody owns Fantasy Craft but I think Fantasy Craft is the cooler game.

>doesn't own Fantasy Craft

what are you a poors

I own Fantasy Craft, nobody I know does though.

Which goddesses are okay with you seeing them naked and which ones would curse you for it? This is important.

The goddess of forests probably wouldn't be ashamed of you seeing her naked in her giant rabbit form, the goddess of festivals might make you pay for it, and the goddess of debauchery would get you so hopped up and smashed out of your mind you wouldn't remember any of it beyond a blur, but the others would probably take issue with peeping toms.

>potion
>lasts 1 minute
>grants 1 luck point, which can be used as described in the Lucky feat

Too good?

Can you even look upon a godess if she doesn't want you to see her?

God have no shame or humility. They like when you see their nekkidness.

According to the ancient Greeks, absolutely.

The gods are few in numbers, with 5 known, and believed to be a few more that are long dead (The sun, the ocean, and creation)

People worship Saints of various aspects, and the powers of clerics come from them

Why are you idiots posting in a shadfag thread instead of reporting it?

Clerics aren't real

>dat ranger ass

WISLA!

I'm interested in giving the game a try... but alas it appears to have the same problem as every game that's not DnD... people just don't play it.

>that image
you got me, you cheeky sneaky.

While not a real answer to your question, it depends on the setting. In 5e dnd land, while it explicitly states that creating undead is not a good act, it doesn't explicitly say it's evil either, just that those who use it often are mostly evil casters.

The arguments against necromancy typically consist of "it's evil because society at large doesn't like it", "it's evil because my god(s) dont like it" and "it traps peoples souls in their own rotting bodies, which not only keeps them from entering their respective afterlife but also condemns them to eternal slavery".

The last one is a pretty good argument, but in dndland it is not the case, which you can see a good explanation from pic related. Since in dndland the difference between animating a golem and a skeleton is practically zero, I'd say you could do it without shifting your alignment, but average people and likely the church wouldn't like you for it.

Start a different thread about it, and sell me on it, please.
I've been considering it, and could really use the push either way.

What's a good build if you're doing a bunch of dungeon diving one-shots? Our DM up and quit after trying to start three different campaigns in the last month, so the rest of us will be rotating small to medium dungeon one-shots for a little while. We're starting at three, willing to try anything out.

GLoom stalker ranger

Rogue. You don't have to worry about combat resources and your skill set is excellent for navigating a dungeon environment, including the vital role of stealthy scouting.

Hey Anons, working on a crit table at the moment.

I don't like the idea of permanent injuries, too many tables have results which are either "You're dead" or "You got access to Regenerate? Okay, you're as good as dead." or "You're minorly inconveninced forever.".

Core mechanic is when you hit 0hp, or get Crit, roll on the table.
Death Saving Throws trigger when you get more than 5, but they stay until long rest.
Each result in the table is a DC20 Saving Throw against the effect so you can shrug off these critical blows.

Most of the results are Con saves but I currently want one result for each saving throw type, but some, such as Str, Dex, Int, Cha, are hard to come up with ideas for.

At the moment it's Con-saving throw or become poisoned by sickly nausea for 10 miniutes. Wis-saving throw or become frightened of hostile creatures for 10 miniutes.

Not sure about the others,maybe a failed charisma save leads you to become "Taunted" by the source of the crit similar to goading effects and suffer disadvantage? Kind of clunky though. A failed Int save can be losing composure and tactical awareness, leading to "No reactions or bonus actions for 10 miniutes." kind of thing?

Any ideas user?

Wild Magic. Oneshots are the one place that a campaign ending surge roll isn't an IRL punch inducing tragedy for playing a wildmage sorcerer.

Question about magic bows, when you fire an arrow from it does it become magical ? If you fired a +1 Arrow from a +1 longbow would it be +2 to hit/damage?

For you user.

>How do you portray gods & demons?

If not FR?

Level 25-35 Spellcasting NPCs who can grant spells they can cast and have a few unique abilities, such as the inability to be killed when not on their own plane.

In FR i try to run them as per the novels.

>character has low INT and lived a largely sheltered life before getting the call to adventure
basically pic related except he's a cleric
>I can't help but intimately involve myself in the party's logistic and combat planning while OoC
This feels illegal

Is this better or worse than the one in the PHB?And I'm on board for trying out a Sorcerer.

Nah that's fine.

Kinda shitty, make it last an hour at least. Could even be 1d3 luck points without being too broken.

Also depends on the rarity, could even have a variety of them.

Potion of Good Luck, 1 Luck point for 1 hour. Uncommon.
Potion of Exquisite Luck, 1d3 Luck points for 1 hour. Rare.
Felix's Liqueur of Liquid Luck, 2d8+4 Luck points for 1 hour. Legendary.

It's basically a wild magic table without the "Cuh-Cuh-CRAAZY Lol Random XD" shit.

Nothing like "You suddenly start burping foaming bubbles!" or "Your skin turns blue.. FOREVERXD!!11" or "You suddenly EXPLODE, Fireball Waaacky!".

It's more "Magical sparks weave around you, cast magic missile as a 1d6th level spell.", "Magical energy wraps around you like a barrier, cast Armour of Agythys as a 1d4th level spell."

"Eldrich flames pour out from you, cast Fire bolt." "Eldrich flames pour over you, cast Fire bolt on yourself." "Eldrich flames fountain out of you, cast Fire Bolt on yourself and two other targets.".

There is nothing that can Whoopsie doopsie end a party or make you fart bubbles, the deadliest thing that can happen is you cast timestop, then at the end of stopped time, you cast finger of death on yourself.

I have been given a magic item which grants me the chance to create a steel version of any weapon that I have proficiency in, I am thinking of taking the feat weapon master what are some useful weapon proficiencies to get in order to create cool stuff?

Speaking of Clerics, who da best? War, Tempest, Light, Trickery, or Death.

What class are you? Generally if you're not already proficient in all weapons, you shouldn't be even considering using one.

rogue, I'm wondering whether it's worth it to get a proficiency just to create weapons worth selling

Depends on how much it costs/how rare it is. If it's as cheap as healing potions, you may have a problem; if you price it or hand it out like a full blown magic item it will probably never get used. Maybe a couple hundred gold pieces each if you use the DMG treasure tables, with a limited stock so the PCs cant just chug 10 before a big fight

I got fireball on my first spell, and got basically full party shamed into only casting cantrips for the rest of the campaign except for dire emergencies where things needed express deading posthaste.

Your GM won't really let that fly, he didn't give you the item to make big moneys, and even if he did allow it I doubt you'd be able to make much money rolling into down and selling half a dozen longswords to the militia.

That said, Whip Proficiency and Heavy Crossbow Proficiency are great for Rogues, and I'm also a big fan of nets although unless you take feats (One of which you've already wasted on proficiencies) they kind of suck.

Which is great, this table has that result modified to "You cast CAREFUL Fireball on yourself." So you shouldn't really be hurting party members so badly since they all pass their saving throw! Then again if you're a very low level that can still sting.

Don't use a 20 entry table. Use an 11 entry (2d6) table. Mediocre things around midpoint, bad at top/bottom. You also have less things to implement, so it will be less garbage.

Also give an effect, but not a source, so you can be creative more easily.

It seems swingier, more likely to kill you outright especially at low levels but it may also give you a fight-winning boost- Finger of Death is quite likely to permanently kill you short of a True Resurrection for the first few levels, and there are no real neutral effects.

Should crossbow expert let you load crossbows while holding something in your other hand? The ignore Loading feature will only be applicable if both hands are dedicated to using the crossbow.

No

So basically it's Wild Magic without any of the fun.

Aaaand dismissed.

good point, might take magic initiate instead as it would fit with his story, are there any spells that aid in thief-y stuff?

Ok

No, it's Wild Magic without the shitty memes.

You want your character to fart pink bubbles and squark like an iguana be my guest, since clearly that is the epitome of your taste in humour.

Yes

Booming Blade is a flat upgrade to any rogue.

Absorb Elements or Shield can save you in a pinch.

Mage armour will likely give you +1 AC for free.

Fog Cloud is a nice get out of jail free card smoke bomb.

Featherfall can also save your entire party in a pinch, but won't get used every day.

Longstrider or Jump can give you some cute mobility in pocket, but hard to say how often these will get used.

Hex is also very very good, since you can keep the curse moving and giving people disadvantage on Strength checks makes your grappling and shoving allies extra potent.

Can someone explain how leveling works?

I have a level 1 character that I'm going to boost to 5 for my campaign

My hit dice is 10, current HP at level 1 is 12.

So would I just roll a D10 four more times and add two each time?

>When your Constitution modifier increases by 1, your hit point maximum increases by 1 for each level you have attained. For example, if your 7th-level Fighter has a Constitution score of 17, when he reaches 8th level, he increases his Constitution score from 17 to 18, thus increasing his Constitution modifier from +3 to +4. His hit point maximum then increases by 8.

You only gain increases to ability scores at levels 4, 8, 12, 16, and 19 right? So since I'm moving to level 5, I would add +2 to something or +1 to two things right? If I add +2 to constitution, how would that affect my hitpoints? Add 5?

I was thinking of a 1d12 Table to keep the results simple and give the underused dice some love, but maybe a less-swingy table would be better.

At the moment I'm just mostly struggling with ways to implement mental stats into critical hit trauma, since I want one for each saving throw.

Yes, your HP gain will be retroactively added.

So when you hit level 4 and make your con modifier +3, you'll get extra hitpoints for your previous levels.

So your TOTAL hp at level 5 will be 10+4d10+15.

Yes, it would retroactively affect your hit points. And is your DM rolling for hit points or allowing you to take the average as listed in your class description?

Long story short, for your jumping of this character just follow the chart and do each level one at a time.

For sure

My DM didn't specify, so I might just ask.

What do you guys think is a better idea: Increasing my AC or increasing my HP?

yeah I struggle with this playing a low INT character. it's really bad and makes me mad that I could never seem to stay out of it.

other players are just so fucking actual STUPID in real life

Definitely AC

>rolling for HP instead of taking the average

why are you bumping 4 levels again?

Well, that depends on a number of factors. Primarily what are you playing?

What is your class? We need to know because for some people Dex does more than one thing, likewise for Con. Also, what are your armor proficiencies because after a certain point for certain classes, increasing your dex might be a moot point.

What class are you playing? 1 AC is worth a lot more than 1 HP in terms of preventing damage but CON is very useful for spell casters to keep concentration on spells. Are you dex based?

Keep increasing whatever stat is used for your primary means of attack until it's maxed, then consider boosting your defenses.

For sure

DM's idea for our first session (his too). It'll be a one shot just to test things out and prepare for the actual campaign

Pls no bully but it's homebrew luchador

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HkCS9QWr

Fog Cloud on Rogue's cool, I hadn't thought of it before.
Shield and Absorb Elements are good even though Rogue gets Uncanny Dodge and Evasion.
I'm a fan of Find Familiar, owls are fucking insane with sneak attack advantage and you can use them to scout.

your link's pdf has the class chart shoved off screen in the first page, if I've parsed what I can from the rest, Dex will affect your attack and your ac, so pump dex for now until you hit the cap of 20 and then work on your con...which will also affect your AC. So, what crap ever.

I have an 18 in Dex, so I could totally get that 20..

Current stats after racials are
>14 Str
>18 Dex
>14 Con
>10 Int
>14 Wis
>15 Char

I used variant human to add +1 to Con and Wis

Yes, pump that to 20. Good. Now go enjoy your game and we won't bully your for whatever bad wrong fun you have.

Just promise me, fucking promise me, you will do the following two things.

1. Bring flying justice upon evil from the top rope.
2. Read the relevant components of the PHB or at least the free basic game pdf. dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

And you need tell us no more. Show your table with your mask and honor.

Th-thanks user

I'll think of you when I flying press someone

Also, is taking the hit dice average really better than rolling?

Well, the campaign ended. I'm incredibly satisfied, but there are some major plot threads left up for potential sequel hooks, and it's driving me crazy

That's up for debate. Unless you're really fucking lucky its better to proceed with the average. If you're really fucking unlucky then rolling them could be to your detriment. Ultimately, over the course of play the higher level you get the more rolled hit point maximums will resemble hit point maximums created by averages as things level out between high and low rolls.

Don't do it, the risk isn't worth the potential reward. I'm playing a game where I'm taking average on my bard, and he has almost as much hp as the rolling barbarian

20 Dex is superior.

It's +1 AC, +1 to hit, +1 to Damage, +1 to Dex saves, +1 to Initiative, +1 to Acrobatics, +1 to Stealth, +1 to Slight of Hand, +1 to Theives Tools, plus who knows what else I'm forgetting.

And don't forget, +1 to hit is quite significant, because it means the difference between turning an attack that does 0 damage, into an attack that does, especially on a rogue, potentially piles of damage. Mathmatically +1 to hit is generally better than critting on a 19-20.

I'm playing a Bard with the Noble background, basically a dandy who dabbles in theater/music/oration but wants to become a famous heroic warrior (going with Valor Bard). I feel like I haven't committed enough to the RP aspects of actually being a performer, just sort of leaving it ambiguous and being a support spellcaster as well as party face. Short of bringing a musical instrument to the session (I don't really know how to play any) what are some ways to bard it up a bit more?

How's 44 HP for level 5?

CON = +2

D10 ave = 6

12+8+8+8+8

Pretty good. You're no barbarian, but you can take a beating better than most

10 levels of average result will get you 60HP on a fighter.
10 levels of rolling on average will get you 55HP on a fighter.

Generally average is always better, because no matter how sweet getting that 10 is, it doesn't match how bitter rolling a 1 is.

44HP is pretty decent on a level 5 fighter.

And trust me, I rolled HP for a fighter once and ended up with 60HP on a level 12 Fighter, thankfully I was an Archer Battlemaster.

The only thing I might suggest over Dex is getting Resilient Dexterity and then later grabbing another +1Dex feat, or adding say +1Dex and +1 Cha later.

Reminds me of a friend playing a wizard in Pathfinder and rolling health.
Managed to get 29 health at level 9.

17 AC too

not sure how good that is

Depends on the group. I have had bards describe the song they sing rather than actually sing it and then I can describe the reaction from the audience.

is there any point in improving an ability if it doesn't put you over the threshold for an ability bonus? the only one that could is dexterity and I could improve that with a feat

should I just get athlete?

It isn't great, but what you would expect from a non-shield user.

Resilient Dexterity is fantastic. If you've already got Dex saving throws, putting +1 in Dex and +1 in Wisdom is also good because it opens you up to get Resilient Wisdom later.

I took mage slayer as a feat for my luchador

Is that a good choice or is there a better one?

When is the next UA to be released? Tomorrow or the following Monday?

Wait, Luchador? What class?

>by the end of the campaign, the paladin went from lawful good to neutral/chaotic good and the rogue went from chaotic good to STRONGLY LAWFUL lawful good

what the fuck

It's power is proportional to how often you fight magic users- if you do so a lot it's great, if you don't you are probably better of with lucky or pumping a saving throw or something, or picking up some maneuver die with martial adept

Home brew. SeeProbably gonna grapple a lot. I have no idea but I have a feeling I’d encounter magic users.

Martial adept sounds cool tho

What are some fun things a warlock can do?

Eldritch blast
Then more eldritch blast

But in D&D don't the gods live on other planes? Can't someone with enough time, resources and gumption just find where they live and reverse Jehovah's Witness them at some point?

gonna pick up moderately armoured instead