Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/LRYqpRoO0xk
drivethrurpg.com/m/product/192264
youtu.be/hhmTcchIbtA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also, why is this cover different?

Clearly, they decided they needed a girl

someone must have complained

They decided they didn't need the tagline of "dark fantasy roleplay" when they have the better marketed tagline "grim & perilous"

I have played it. It is great. Character creation is fun. Racial traits makes a party with two of the same race feel fun. Combat is fast & unlike WFRPG it has more options to take in combat & you don't have people complaining that your "Chaos Prince of Change wouldn't act like that" because while it is spiritually very close to WFRPG it lets you do what you want instead of forcing a setting on you. Its Bestiary is great & the monsters feel like dark fairytales. 9/10 only complaint is the way starting trappings are done, even though I understand why they did it the way they did

It's a piece of shit just like this poster.

Great art.
Nice careers and character creation.
Economy's not as weird as in WFRP.
Faithful fan creation.
Very detailed and well-written.

Pretty horrid combat.
Not as "deep" as it claims.
Economy is still weird.
Character progression isn't satisfying.
Health system is abstract, credit to it for trying something different but it's not very good.

Zweihander has two big flaws, one of them fatal. The first big flaw is the way its combat is designed. From the ground up, it's fucked. They take the WFRP way of grouping hand weapons and such to an insane degree to where every weapon is identical aside from fairly minor qualities. The joke about swords doing as much damage as fists and thrown rocks doing as much damage as guns is true. The book justifies this as every weapon is lethal because RL if you're stabbed in the gut by a sword or chopped in the head by an axe then yes, you're one dead medieval soldier, but it doesn't take into account that this isn't a historical RPG. World has orcs, dragons, trolls, all that, and if you run it RAW, punching a dragon in the leg will hurt him just as bad as stabbing him in the eye. It's a genuinely infuriating combat system.

Of course combat isn't everything, and the other side is genuinely good. But there's the fatal flaw. It's just 'good', it's passable, it's fun, but it's not the best. WFRP does the roleplay side and progression equally in most aspects and better in some. The setting is so Warhammer-like that any unique setting will just seem like it's trying to be Warhammer, so you're better off setting it in Warhammer, but if you do, it just feels like a subpar copy of WFRP.

tl;dr it tries too hard to copy another rpg while falling short of that rpg and what it does uniquely it does badly

fuck off dan

To anyone reading this post who doesn't quite get it, it has long been established as Veeky Forums canon that the writers of Zweihander will head here and try and start threads about how great Zweihander is and how it's totally not just a subpar ripoff of an already average (though still enjoyable) system. Thus earning them the title of the only fags broke enough to be unable to afford to pay some shills to do it for them and having to do it themselves. Speaks volumes about how much revenue the book is generating huh?

When I read Zweihander, I sat there thinking "This looks an awful lot like WFRP". When I played Zweihander, I sat there thinking "Man I could be playing WFRP right now...". That is my review.

What is the combat system like, can someone post a example?

Who's got a download link? Unless its just shills here, I think its worth a look. If I like it, i'll buy a hardcopy.

Don't fall for it, this is Daniel. He's just looking for links he can DMCA.

I'm not, but if this is an actual concern, then its automatically a shit game. If the maker isn't confident that his product will sell, then its obviously shit.

Agreed. Daniel's a shit. The game is just a warhammer fantasy knockoff anyway.

Thanks for a well-composed briefing!

Off to another RPG then...

Fuck that noise.

WHFRP 2nd is free, and heavily fan supported.

WHFRP 4th is coming, and supposedly is built of 2nd, and ignoring 3rd.

just play WFRP 2E

Here's a #ZweihanderRPG recorded session: youtu.be/LRYqpRoO0xk

>Hashtag
Fuck off, shill.

Hello, Daniel

There is an optional rule that different weapons do different damage.

>The first big flaw is the way its combat is designed. From the ground up, it's fucked. They take the WFRP way of grouping hand weapons and such to an insane degree to where every weapon is identical aside from fairly minor qualities.

Just houserule fists don't add 1d6, or have a -3SB.

You're making a big deal out of something that can be easily fixed. I've houseruled several broken things.

Been running a campaign for about 4 months with six players.

It's replaced D&D in my mind, and is suitably different to 2e to make it creative.

The book definitely needed a few more QA passes and some editing, but just fix what you don't like or change it completely. It's given me all the tools I need to create the world I want.

Everyone knows 2e is unbalanced

t. Daniel Fox

Being this butthurt

Hey it's this joke again.

I don't go with all the hate for the team. Whether they did or didn't shill, they put a lot of effort into the game, and for what it's worth, it does feel like Warhammer.

But it's not great, and like others say, that right there is what kills it.

>Play it in a non-Warhammer setting: "Gee, this feels a lot like Warhammer."
>Play it in a Warhammer setting: "Gee, I could be playing WFRP right now."

It can't stand on its own for different settings since all of it is Warhammer-like by design, and when it does what it's meant to (Warhammer) it does it worse than a system that already does the same thing (WFRP 2e)

Not that WFRP itself is perfect or anything, but Zweihander can't escape the feeling of being a WFRP clone at best, a watered down imitator at worst, no matter how much work went into it. A for effort, C- for substance.

>making fists not as good as swords requires homebrewing and rule modification

2e is unbalanced, but Zweihander's "make literally everything identical" solution isn't the answer, not to mention it's even less balanced (why in the everloving fuck would you ever get a gun over a bow, when all the gun does better is you can't dodge bullets).

>I've identified some things I don't like
>Instead of changing them I will incessantly complain about them instead

It's ok to play !Warhmammer user.

You can play a game inspired by Warhammer tropes without constantly wanting to play Warhammer.

Other worlds exist user, you can even invent them yourself.

People who say has fatal flaws and can't stand on its own forgets that it has sold thousands of copies and is on the all time best sellers list on DriveThruRPG. Are you all just contrarians?

>I buy a finished game
>Actually I have to spend time redoing things even about very basic stuff that should have been caught during design

>I'm going to play a game which puts stabbing someone with a sword is the equivalent of punching them and fix the game through my own time and effort rather than play a game that doesn't require me to work to make it function
Not who you're arguing with, user, but fuck that.

I am a huge fan of Warhammer Fantasy, yet I’m a hopeless idiot who can only process new tabletop systems that are mechanically similar to DnD or Pathfinder.

Is Zweihander the system for me?

I’m being deadly serious, by the way. I’ve been yearning for a way to play a High Elf for ages now, and this might be it.

It's d100 so no.

user can you name a perfect system?

Are you aware that it's a system that encourages the gm to make regulation like "if you are not armed you can't hurt the dragon"? In many points in the manual there are statements that are assumed to be taken into account even when there are no rules codifying a mechanic. Take the buckler example, going just by the properties it's as protective as any shield, that's bullshit, until you read it's description and notice that it says that it's useless against anything bigger than a one handed weapon.

This part annoys me. WFRP did the same thing, but it'd indicate that a weapon was Special, so you knew to go look it up. Zweihander has a few special rules for some of its items, and that's fine, but it gives no indication of this. It expects you to read through every line, and while reading isn't bad, when its book is as huge as it is maybe a hint would be nice.

Releasing the KS to backers on DriveThru and having regular halfprice and free offers tend to do that. Don't mistake canny marketing for quality.
That said, this isn't an awful game. It's just not very good.

My curosity is piqued.

Well then, whose got a pdf?

inb4 da archive

Fuck off dan

Not a Dan.

With that i can agree.

You can download an art free version heredrivethrurpg.com/m/product/192264 Dont mind the early access part the rules are the same as release version.

Waifus are laifu, you need a cute grill no matter how grim the darkness is when you’re literally just selling a warhammer fantasy hack.

true dat.

Not the archive, because Danny Boy doesn't like people pirating his precious game. It isn't worth the bandwidth in the first place.

>mfw I kickstarted Zweihänder and chose the bakers only cover, despite looking worse, only because it is bakers only
Prestige is a drug, I tell ya.

They have a version of the game that's exclusively for those in the bread industry? That's oddly specific.

Bakers are the back bone of traditional games, don’t ya know? Sometimes t can be frustrating though, you screen players to make sure they aren’t crazy, but sure enough one guy comes in smelling of fresh bread and covered in flour, then he has to leave the session early to ‘wake and bake’ the next morning. At least bring the day old doughnuts ya prick!

But it is nice to have somebody who can make a mean meatbread.

No they released limited edition books for Kickstarter and used a DTRPG campaign to sell the utter shit out of it with free offerings. It also came out during a time when Warhammer was still stuck in 3e mode, so it took advantage of a massive gap in the market. Love it or hate it, it’s one of the best selling osr books of all time. I’m personally using it for Darkest Dungeon. I have a friend about to spin up either a Black Company or Witcher game using Zweihander.

Fluff is not mechanics, get a grip.

Yeah I use the alternative armor hit location and unique weapon damage rules in the gm section. I like that they didn’t forget about traditional Warhammer 2e fans. But for those bitching about weapon “saminess”, that’s just not true. The fundamentals are solid. A mix of qualities makes the weapons interesting - and it makes no means to ‘balance’ them either. Y’all play too much d&d if you expect games to carefully balance weapons. And he use of the same damage dice? do you even wfrp1e bros?

GURPS

>Alternative weapon damage

How does giving several weapons a flat +3 affect balance?

Looks like it helps make martial weapons effectively superior, although encourages players getting the 'best' weapon instead of choosing something flavourful.

I just ordered it on drive through, looks interesting I like the character creation, but the combat is iffy.

We’ve been using the alt weapon rules for 6 months. They’re surprisingly well balanced against the qualities. Combat is a tick more dangerous, although our gm uses the flat d6 against us still unless it’s a “named” foe.

I think combat is the most compelling element. It’s swift and dangerous and has a TOn of options for non fighters w Perilous stunts (no damage status effect stuff).

Boohoo pirate doesn’t get to pirate his game waaaa waaaa waaa!

yeah I need to give it a proper go. the only hard part is convincing someone to play it with me.

Adam Koebel of Dungeon World fame was fawning over ZweihanderRPG. He’s pulling together a 12 episode game on Twitch. In fact he interviewed ZweihanderRPG’s creator not too long back: youtu.be/hhmTcchIbtA

that interview is the reason I got interested in zweihander in the first place.