Books

Hey tg, whats some good fantasy books i should read and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

sjgames.com/gurps/books/fantasy/bibliography.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Paizo included a comprehensive list in their game mastery guide. Here you go OP

thanks man!

Anyone read this? Is it any good?
I like the idea of a more tribal society fantasy setting.

David Gemmell's especially his Drenai series. (That's Drenai, NOT Draenei). There's 11 books in the series but you don't have to read them in order, except for Waylander and Waylander II. The books, in chronological order are:
>Knights of Dark Renown
>Morningstar
>Waylander
>Waylander II: In the Realm of the Wolf
>Hero in the Shadows
>The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend
>The Legend of Deathwalker
>White Wolf
>Legend
>The King Beyond the Gate
>Quest for Lost Heroes
>Winter Warriors
>The Swords of Night and Day
They're all excellent books, there's a few I haven't read, but those that I have read, I can read again and again. Additionally, if you want to dip into Gemmell's work without looking at the Drenai series, I highly recommend Dark Moon, or Echos of the Great Song. He writes heroic fantasy, and damn, it is heroic. There's no elves or dwarves or any of that shit. He's not tolkien influenced, but he is influenced by folklore. I think reading his work has made me a better GM, because the way he can weave a story, and the challenges heroes face are so inspiring, especially as he manages to insert some actual meaning and soul into the narrative.

The Edge Chronicles.

My fucking man.

While we're playing that game!
Here's the hyperlinked version: sjgames.com/gurps/books/fantasy/bibliography.html This is literally just an HTML version with links of what you'd find in the back of GURPS Fantasy.

One that I mention in these threads fairly regularly is Powder Mage. Think flintlock fantasy, mixing gunpowder and bullets with magic. Very solid.

DiscWorld

Don't believe the contrarians, ASOIAF is great, and you should read it.

>et al
>et al
This seems so dishonest. I feels like they've never even read these books and the list's just pretentious name-dropping.

Deed of Paksenarrion, by Elizabeth Moon; good militia soldier story that grows into an better adventurer paladin story. Actual characters. Gets a bit rapey, though.

A song of Ice and Fire. Not to be a contrarian but I firmly believe the TV series didn't manage to capture the spirit and genius of Martins books.

Joe Abercrombie, specifically the Red Country books, Dan Glokta is a badass villain.

...and pic related, because philosphy nerds.

Steer clear of trilogies and series in general. If a story can't be told in a single book it probably never had much going for it in the first place.

Magican by Feist.
>why
plays the tropes straight but still charmingly. Has a grand overarching plot while still paying attention to the small details.

Dunk & Egg is definitely the best part of the world. Shorter too.

Could always read some of the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories. Some good old sword and sorcery with a couple of sellswords.

More likely that's just their favorite or the most influential and they can't list the full works but also want to let you know there is more by that author

Is this about Mohammad?

Realm of the Elderlings by Robin Hobb. It's like 13 books, but you can skip the second and fourth ones.
The 2ed Forgotten Realms tie-ins are classics, but are extremely cliche now, what with everyone knowing of good-aligned drow that angst over being drow and dual-wield scimitars.

That goes without saying. Read Guards Guards first, though, not CoM.